Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
257 user(s) are online (188 user(s) are browsing Forums)

TommyT-Bone, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  DIC
Driver Information Center.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It’s above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Josh Final dyno numbers and track times this weekend for the TFS heads
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I've got a dyno appointment Friday afternoon, and if everything goes well I'm going to hit the drag strip Saturday. This should be the final go around with the TFS heads. Next weekend I plan to pull it all apart for the swap to AFR's.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Posted on: 2009/5/28 13:00

CentralCoaster Re: Final dyno numbers and track times this weekend for the TFS heads
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Ahh... you mean next weekend. Damn!
Posted on: 2009/5/28 14:17

Josh Re: Final dyno numbers and track times this weekend for the TFS heads
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Yeah, tomorrow and the next day.
Posted on: 2009/5/28 14:31

TonyMamo Re: Final dyno numbers and track times this weekend for the TFS heads
Guru
54 Posts

Hey Josh,

Glad to see things are moving along.

While the dyno has the benefit of a correction factor with a weather station, the track obviously does not, but thankfully its really all mathmatics and there are computer programs that can tell you pretty much to the number what a different density altitude would net you in your ET and trap speeds. Beach Bum has a good one and there are others available if you look around.

Point is, you might have very different conditions for the track outtings.....this is just a reminder to perhaps borrow a weather station that can calculate D/A if you dont already own one, or try to get with someone at the track that day that has one (maybe ask a few people to confirm that info is reasonably accurate).

Its an extremely important piece of information when comparing track times for obvious reasons. Its the one thing I dont like about people comparing track results....unless they are providing you with the D/A, for the most part they are meaningless as any type of scientific comparisons.

Now if two people ran their combo's on the same day (at the same facility), thats a completely different story. The best comparisons (when evaluting combination changes) are really done using the same chassis dyno (eliminating variables from different dynos) which of course is what you are doing....the track results are really just a bonus but do offer good comparable feedback only when the D/A and track conditions are included in the equation.

Look forward to all the results (I'm hoping....LOL)

-Tony

PS....If any of you guys get to the track much (or even if you go infrequently but value a more scientific approach), this is the best $250 you will ever spend. Fits in your shirt pocket and accurately measures temp, D/A, elevation, wind speed, etc. After having one I cant imagine going to the track and not having all this information at my finger tips any more. Flea Bay sells them also....just search under Kestrel

Ckeck it out http://www.kestrelmeters.com/Kestrel-4000-weather-meter.pro
Posted on: 2009/5/29 17:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Final dyno numbers and track times this weekend for the TFS heads
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah, we should definitely run the dyno curves through the sim. Beach's sim is more accurate than mine, but I'd put them on mine anyways for sake of comparison. The math that distinguishes them from each other really isn't that complex, but the accuracy gets lost in the details of traction, shift time, clutch engagement, etc.
Posted on: 2009/5/29 18:43

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Back from the dyno. After extensive tweaking, and endless tuning, it made almost exactly what it made before. 390 RWHP. The 2 graphs were nearly identical once the air fuel was dialed in. I was hoping to pick up some HP with some more time to dink with it, but it looks like 390 is about all it's got to give in it's current state. I'm now satisfied that the combo is making relatively close to it's maximum power.

I'm going to hit the drag strip tomorrow, so we'll see if it goes any faster than it did last time. Last time the best was 11.98 @ 118.
Posted on: 2009/5/29 20:30

Aboatguy Re: Final dyno numbers and track times this weekend for the TFS heads
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

I may have missed it but what type of dyno are you testing on?
Posted on: 2009/5/29 22:46

BeachBum Re: Final dyno numbers and track times this weekend for the TFS heads
Master Guru
751 Posts

I keep breaking my weather stations, but I'll buy another, its a necessity for a bracket racer. But, if you're not bracket racing and just want to compare timeslips from different racing days, you can go to www.wunderground.com and check any day within the past year or two to see what the weather was on any given hour for the location you were at.

If you're trying to figure out if you went faster or not, its important....same track can vary 2-3 tenths with just a 20 degree temp dependant on the bar and humidity. Even more in more extreme changes. I do have a program that can calculate the power gain/loss as well as the timeslip differences for you that I think is fairly accurate.... but of course, its not always an exact science either.

But, I will say, I think Josh will not run as fast this time out as he did last time out even though he's making the same amount of power.... March is typically faster than April, and April faster than May, etc..... just the nature of summer air.... the closer you get to July/August, the slower you go. As most know, most peoples personal best et's are set either in the spring or fall cool air.

Josh, I would like to put your set-up in my simulator.... can you post your entire dyno graph and best timeslip from last time out ?.... I'd like to know your tranny ratio's and rear gear and what rpm you are shifting at and your race weight too if you know them. Also what tire are you running ? And at the starting line what are you doing ? (Ie: 4000 rpm dump, then feather or let it go or do you walk it out and if yes, what is the starting rpm) Shallow or deep stage or do not know ? Also, what track are you racing at ?

thanks
Posted on: 2009/5/29 23:42

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I'm on a dynojet 224.

Here's the dyno graph:

[IMG]http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu241/joshkinzey/DSCF0790.jpg[/IMG]

Best slip from last time out is as follows:

60 - 1.84
330 - 5.111
1/8 - 7.7811 @ 92.38
1/4 - 11.9895 @ 118.61

Transmission ratio's are stock ZF6. If you can't find them online, I have them written down in a notebook in my garage.

Rear gear is 3.92.

The tach only goes to 6K, so I'm not 100% on the shift RPM. I would guess 6200 or so. Next time out I'll probably shift a little higher.

Race weight is 3210 + me (about 185 lbs).

I run 16 inch ET streets in the back, stock 275's up front.

I ease off the clutch at 2500-3000 and wait for the car to start moving. I try to be off the clutch completely by the first 5-10 feet, and then I lay down on the throttle. I'm not very good at it though I and end up bogging the engine down pretty often.

I shallow stage as much as possible.

I was at Fayetteville motorsports part in Fayetteville, NC. Date was 4/18/09, time was 2:55 PM.
Posted on: 2009/5/30 2:18

mseven Re: Final dyno numbers and track times this weekend for the TFS heads
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

The numbers look good, I like the hp. tq. balance. Good luck tomorrow
Posted on: 2009/5/30 2:29

Aboatguy Re: Final dyno numbers and track times this weekend for the TFS heads
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Nice flat torque "line" (curve LOL)
Posted on: 2009/5/30 3:15

BeachBum Re: Final dyno numbers and track times this weekend for the TFS heads
Master Guru
751 Posts

Josh, I just did a quick run of your set-up.... I haven't taken the time to fiddle with it to get it precisely on the nose on virtually all increments, but its close enough....

You raced in pretty good air on April 18th, but not great either.... was approxmiately 78 degrees, on a 200 ft track, clear skies. The air robbed your motor of 3% of its power..... with 60 degree air and the same barometer, you would have been at about 0 feet DA. In any regards, you ran good.

I put in my simulator your entire torque curve and interpolated a 6500 rpm point.... based upon a 16% drivetrain loss, I had you at 464 HP and approxmiately 445 ftlbs of torque @ 4400 rpm.... which is interesting, I would have guessed your torque peak to be another 400 rpm higher. A lot of people like only a 12-15% loss on manual transmission cars, but I think its a little higher and my sim consistently backs that up.

A lot of people like to know the below, so I'll post it for you..... you without a doubt ran the below #'s with an error margin of maybe a hundredths or two at most:

0-30 mph = 1.67 seconds
0-60 mph = 3.95 seconds
0-100 mph = 8.86 seconds

In fact, here's your sheet....

[IMG]http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/tldrane/1-383JOS.jpg[/IMG]

I also ran your set-up in typical Fayettesville NC late May air, which per wunderground, is around 87 degrees... it slowed you down to a 12.12.... which is a .14 second reduction if you race tomorrow in clear typical weather..... will be interesting to see if you can better that, I imagine you can with driving..... but it had your mph down about 1.2 mph in this type of air with the same power.

I also made another run, this is back to your April 18th baseline weather, and its with an improved launch with a 4000 rpm dump and slipping out to around 2500 rpm.... result was a 1.70 60 ft.... the below is the result for that.

[IMG]http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/tldrane/1-383JB.jpg[/IMG]

I did screw around a little bit more....gave you good 60 degree air, and better launch and slightly quicker launch, the simulator kicked out a 1.65 60 ft - 11.57 @ 120.05.... in otherwords, good air, and a near perfect run....

The final thing I did was add a 100 shot on top of that run...the sim gave you a 1.54 60 ft - 10.83 @ 127.2 mph (Hope you have a good clutch :tongue:

None of this means much, the simulator is just for grins.... but it passes the time.
Posted on: 2009/5/30 4:34

88BlackZ51 Re: Final dyno numbers and track times this weekend for the TFS heads
Senior Guru
481 Posts

I noticed a few guys on the CF asked why the car was only dynoed to 6000 rpm's? It appears that it might be pulling a bit after that rpm?

After seeing 389rwhp/373rwtq I think the AFR's will certainly gave you more power. The exact #'s is anyone's guess!

If "vettethreat" motor is any indication as he is using the 195 comp ports, I am guess you will gain around 25-30rwhp, but I am no pro.

Later!
Posted on: 2009/5/30 18:56

1989GTA Re: Final dyno numbers and track times this weekend for the TFS heads
Guru
61 Posts

Any updates? Looking forward to the results.
Posted on: 2009/6/12 21:44

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.