Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
273 user(s) are online (205 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Coil over
The term coil over means having a coil spring coaxial with the shock absorber. In terms of a Corvette, it replaces the leaf spring.

[IMG]http:/...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Lubricating window sweeps
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

Out of the blue my window sweeps started binding and folding under when lowering the window. I washed the glass, applied rain~X and WD40'd the sweeps as I know that works on window tracks. Anybody ever had this problem? Solutions?
Posted on: 2009/9/28 21:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Lubricating window sweeps
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Time for new ones? Mine are pretty hard rubber, I don't see them folding under. Perhaps they changed in 90+

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/9/28 23:03

TommyT-Bone Re: Lubricating window sweeps
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

They are not real old and are fairly pliable. I'm going to try a couple of tricks first before I give up. Maybe place a piece af cardboard between the window and sweep so it might loosen its grasp upon the window and learn a new form while its still hot outside. Instead of the glass sliding past the sweep it grabs at the top of the sweep and folds it in binding the window. WD'ing it worked but I wonder for how long.
Posted on: 2009/9/28 23:29

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Is your window out of adjustment and pushing/pulling on one sweep more than the other?
Posted on: 2009/9/29 0:32

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

This does not appear to be an issue. When I recently cleaned the interior tint there appeared to be some residue on the window so a I aggresively cleaned the area using simple green. I thought this may have been some type of siliconized lubricating substance that's why I tried something stronger than window cleaner. Window cleaner wouldn't break it down. After I cleaned it it started to bind. That's when I hit it with some rain~x to make a slicker surface. Then I moistened the rubber surface with WD so the window would slide. That's what it doing now. I just was wondering if there was any similar experiences out in guru land.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 0:47

joeld Re: Lubricating window sweeps
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

This might sound funny, but I have used talc/baby powder. This is a somewhat dry lubrication and dosen't leave the streaks like WD-40 does. I just pull the rubber back a little and sprinkle some in. Won't last forever but it has helped me several times. Started to use some graphite once, not sure what kind of mess it would make on the glass.

Joel
Posted on: 2009/9/29 1:10

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

And the doors will smell good too.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 2:14

BillH Re: Lubricating window sweeps
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Tommy, are you talking about the exterior sweeps or the interior rubber that's part of the door panel?

The "siliconized lube substance", yea, window cleaner or SG won't touch something like that. SG is a good solvent but only for oily grease. WD's actually the best solvent for that type of stuff ( and sticker glue & tire marks on your paint from the track).

But if you just lube the rubber with WD without getting the substance off, it will come back ( WD drys).

IMO, first you need to clean the rubber that's touching the glass, WD on a cloth wraped around a smaller screwdriver. Then clean the dirty WD off with SG. Then clean the SG off the window glass with window cleaner.

If this is on the interior, could it be glue from the tint?

Windows down in the hot sun maybe contributing. If you're going to try the cardboard thing, remember that the rubber must cool way down before you pull the cardboard.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 13:39

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

Ya, I'm talking about the interior rubber where it meets the glass on the top of the door panel. Good tip Bill. I'll give it try next cleaning cycle. As far as the rubber getting cold. Guess I'd have to wait till December for that to happen. My thoughts were placing a cardboard strip 1/8th to 3/16ths" thick for a couple of days that when I remove it there would be less pressure against the glass as the rubber might obtain form from the temporary cardboard placement. On the top of the rubber there is a wiper type edge. The window wants to grab that and fold it under when lowering the window. It happens on both sides but is worse on the passenger side. Maybe Trojan offers an ideal lubricating solution. heh heh
Posted on: 2009/9/29 14:07

CentralCoaster Re: Lubricating window sweeps
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think you want those to be dry and clean, not sticky.

Don't they have a soft felt backing of some sort to keep them slippery?

WD-40 seems like the wrong way to fix it. You can also loosen up the 2 inner felt bumpers to put less outward pressure on the glass. You just need enough pressure to allow the door to shut easy and keep water from pouring in behind those rubber strips.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 20:08

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

Yes they have a felt backing but the felt is not the issue. It is binding at the top of the rubber. The adjustment of the strip has potential. I'll have to take a peek.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 20:56

pianoguy Re: Lubricating window sweeps
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The GM recommended lube for weatherstripping is dielectric grease. I use Leslie's Pool & Spa lube. Not sure if either of those would solve your problem, though.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 22:05

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

The end of the strips are at almost 90 degrees to the window glass . As it gets to the center it assumes a more rounded shape meaning there is actually less pressure against the glass at that point. I did not see a method that would allow adjustment. I talced the strip and inserted a cardborad strip that I will let sit for a few days. I have some dilectic grease in the shed. That will get a try after viewing the results of this attempt. If that fails I might try tapping the glass at the base with a 3lb sledgehammer or try heating the area with a propane torch.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 23:13

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
The end of the strips are at almost 90 degrees to the window glass . As it gets to the center it assumes a more rounded shape meaning there is actually less pressure against the glass at that point. I did not see a method that would allow adjustment.

The window regulator can be adjusted in and out. Doing so wil also affect the outer wipe and the way the window contacts the weatherstrip.

Dielectric grease doesent dry like WD.

Does the wipe have surface cracking or look dull. Rubber will wear out especially in the heat. If so:
http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette- ... ower-side-1-106-3529.html
Posted on: 2009/9/30 2:29

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

Ya replacement is my final option. They don't look bad. They are not brittle or cracking. If anything they're too soft. Thanks for the link. At least I have another option.
Posted on: 2009/9/30 3:54

CentralCoaster Re: Lubricating window sweeps
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The adjustment I was talking about is the felt bumpers that push on the inside of the window. The door is slotted so you can move them in or out.
Posted on: 2009/9/30 19:29

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Dielectric grease doesent dry like WD.

But dielectric grease will smear all over the window.

I'd try what CC said. More than likely you will have to pull the door panel off but you'll see two or three screws on the top of the door itself that hold the felt tabs in place. They are adjustable.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/9/30 22:20

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

I'd try what CC said. More than likely you will have to pull the door panel off but you'll see two or three screws on the top of the door itself that hold the felt tabs in place. They are adjustable.

Matthew

You can play with those if you like but their purpose is not for adjusting window position.
Those are anti-rattle stabilizer pads. The slots are there to get the correct pressure on the felt pad.
Posted on: 2009/10/1 0:04

flyboy Re: Lubricating window sweeps
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Same annoying problem on my '91. Lacking powder as Joel suggested, I rubbed some soft chalk on the inner strip not feeling very optimistic about the result. It worked.
Posted on: 2009/10/1 1:54

VetteMed Re: Lubricating window sweeps
Guru Newb
Alachua, FL
37 Posts

Hmmm, I'm having the same problem ever since replacing the outer sweeps - the inner sweeps are now getting hung up and folding in/down. Guess i'll try some powder to see how it goes.
Posted on: 2009/10/2 3:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.