Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
290 user(s) are online (242 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SuperRam Intake System
Originally designed by John Lingenfelter at LPE and manufactured by Accell, the SuperRam was the 1st aftermarket intake to improve upon the stock lon...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Thursday Chat 10.22.09
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Well, I did get a chance to work on the car yesterday and drove it last night. It was nice to drive after working on it so long. Hot start problem was not completely eliminated with the new ministarter, I will be installing a remote solenoid today. Hopefully that will do it. Otherwise, I need a heat shield, too. Have to check the rear d/s brake caliper, it might be leaking. Other than that I need to reassemble some of the interior and it's about good to go.

Besides the car I plan on getting in a monster workout today, so hopefully that goes well. Wifey is at work and baby is at grandma's, so I've got the day to myself. I'm also gonna finish watching transformers 2 that I started yesterday but only got halfway through. Sounds like a good day to me!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/22 13:00

biggrizzly Re: Thursday Chat 10.22.09
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Oh Damn! I forgot Transformers 2 was released Tuesday! Can't wait to see it.

Another nice day here weather-wise in the Nation's Capitol.

I'm officially re-addicted to driving my Corvette. I am just astounded by the difference the gears and converter has made to the overall performance of the car. It is like night and day! When I installed the heads, cam, headers and associated mods, I got a similiar boost in performance but didn't get the whole enchilada until just now when finishing the job. Lloyd told me that the full potential of the heads and cam would not be felt until it was geared right. Pretty amazing stuff. I just need to get used to driving around over 2,000rpm. With 2.59 gears it would cruise around 1,500 in OD now it is around 2,200 rpm at 65 I think.

Anyhow, I'm a happy camper at the moment with a big grin!
Posted on: 2009/10/22 13:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Thursday Chat 10.22.09
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Sounds like fun, Don! I will live vicariously through you folks in warmer climates.

Another gloomy day here, low 40's, rain/snow on the way later. Kill me now.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 14:11

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

teebee Re: Thursday Chat 10.22.09
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12369 Posts

Morning guys. Still lots of sickness here at school. Nearly freezing this morning and the wind howled all night. My grandson has his last football game today, ought to be fun, cold, damp and windy. The younger grandson has his last games on Saturday...at least it's is supposed to warm up a little.

Don, I'm guessing that your fuel economy is going to drop some, but the fun factor should go way up...I'd say that was a great trade off.

Matt, don't they make a "sock" for those starters to ward off the heat? Seems they did way back when, can't believe that they don't have something like that today. Come to think of it, I think they were an asbestos product, so maybe they aren't available.

Everyone have a good day.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 14:16

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

BillH Re: Thursday Chat 10.22.09
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:

Matt, don't they make a "sock" for those starters to ward off the heat?

Tom, that's the heat shield Matt's talking about, he has the Summit p/n.

Now, how do I get baseboard to fit an uneven hardwood floor? Especially when it bows during stain/finish. And it always bows the wrong way vs the floor. I really dn't want to scribe and beltsand.

Brad, at least you still have your music.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 14:28

biggrizzly Re: Thursday Chat 10.22.09
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:

Don, I'm guessing that your fuel economy is going to drop some, but the fun factor should go way up...I'd say that was a great trade off.

Yup. Initially it looks like 2.5 mpg worse than before.

I have reset the fuel monitor a few times trying to get the feel for different conditions. This morning on the way to work it was bouncing between 19.5 and 20.5 depending on how hard I was into it. I used to average around 22-23 on the same drive to work. For strictly highway driving, my mileage was around 27-28 if I was mild mannered. I have not checked how much mileage I can actually eek out of this configuration yet, I have been having too much fun pushing the pedal down.

I'm still happy with the Vette getting around 20mpg. It gets better gas mileage than my 03 Nissan Xterra! I'm ready to unload that truck but its paid for.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 14:54

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

teebee wrote:

Now, how do I get baseboard to fit an uneven hardwood floor? Especially when it bows during stain/finish. And it always bows the wrong way vs the floor. I really dn't want to scribe and beltsand.

Maybe some shoe would follow the contour of the floor better?

Yeah, I haven't done much on the music front lately, but just got invited to do a cover of Boston's "Foreplay/Long Time" - that thing is gonna kick my ass! ;-)
Posted on: 2009/10/22 14:57

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12369 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

teebee wrote:

Well, Bill I was going to say scribe and fit, but you don't want to work that much (I don't blame you one bit). How much are you talking here? Are you going ahead and using base shoe? It is narrow enough to follow the contour somewhat. I had a job where the base was installed (not by me) and the client wanted to know if there was anything that could be done to cover the gaps (as much as 1/2"). I bought base shoe, stained, finished and installed it (400 lf). Once I was done, you couldn't tell that there were ever any gaps. Just a suggestion. I think that is what Brad was suggesting as well. Good call Brad.

Bill after rereading are you saying that the base was basically flat before stain and finish and now the base has bowed? What kind of stain and finish are you using...water soluble? As dry as you are out there they might be absorbing the water and bowing. Maybe if you let them sit for a few days they will straighten out some.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 15:51

Resized Image

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12369 Posts

Update here this morning....so far my big class has been 3 students. This sickness is getting out of hand. It's a good thing that my classes are "work on your own" for the most part. I'm not sure how a "regular" teacher can even attempt to try and run a normal classroom. Here are my attendances so far today. 1st hour 3, 2nd hour 3, 3rd hour 1, now 4th hour 2. I've checked my computer and found out 5th hour I'll have 0 kids...but it looks like all my boys will be here last hour.

Amazing.....
Posted on: 2009/10/22 16:13

Resized Image

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Update here this morning....so far my big class has been 3 students. This sickness is getting out of hand. It's a good thing that my classes are "work on your own" for the most part. I'm not sure how a "regular" teacher can even attempt to try and run a normal classroom. Here are my attendances so far today. 1st hour 3, 2nd hour 3, 3rd hour 1, now 4th hour 2. I've checked my computer and found out 5th hour I'll have 0 kids...but it looks like all my boys will be here last hour.

Amazing.....

Wow! Well, on the bright side, those handful of students will get a quality education ;-)
Posted on: 2009/10/22 16:31

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:

Bill after rereading are you saying that the base was basically flat before stain and finish and now the base has bowed? What kind of stain and finish are you using...water soluble? As dry as you are out there they might be absorbing the water and bowing. Maybe if you let them sit for a few days they will straighten out some.

OK, me being a wood butcher, not a craftsman, what's a base shoe? a 1/4 round?

Anyway, yea the base, 3 1/4 in. pine, is flat a on Lowes relitavely flat concrete floor when I buy it. After stain/finish it bows up in the center 1/8 - 1/4, coupled with a slightly uneven floor,it isn't acceptable installed.

Staining wood here is a bitch. I'm using MinWax prestain and Cabots stain with either HelmSpar or Min-Satin Poly.
Working time for a 12' piece of base is about 30 seconds before the stain starts to dry which makes the wipe down critical.
Don't get me started on waterbase (my favorite.

I better start another thread with pics.
It will give me a chance to show the colored waterbase stuff I've done too.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 16:49

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yes, shoe=quarter round.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 17:22

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12369 Posts

Well, technically it's not exactly quarter round. Typically base shoe is 1/2 x 3/4 and has a rounded top edge, but we are splitting hairs here.

Drawing:

http://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/file/ ... 8213.6a65fi/Base+shoe.pdf
Posted on: 2009/10/22 18:58

Resized Image

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Well, technically it's not exactly quarter round. Typically base shoe is 1/2 x 3/4 and has a rounded top edge, but we are splitting hairs here.

Drawing:

http://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/file/ ... 8213.6a65fi/Base+shoe.pdf

quarter-oval, then ;-)
Posted on: 2009/10/22 19:07

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quoval.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 20:41

Touringmike Re: Thursday Chat 10.22.09
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Struggling thru new computer programs at the new job.

It's been a tough 3 days, but I'll get used to it.
Otherwise, I'm in a small (46 peeps) Company, with a bunch of great (but busy) people.

Don't have much time during to week to post, got to leave for a p/t job now, so I'll update more this weekend.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 21:22

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Small companies were always more fun to me - there were about 30 of us when I started where I work years ago. The environment changes a bunch when you get a few thousand employees.
Posted on: 2009/10/22 21:27

Matatk Re: Thursday Chat 10.22.09
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Hey guys!

Got some progress made on the 79 today. I did install the remote solenoid. As far as the heat blanket you referred to above, I tried that on the original starter and it didn't help. So the remote solenoid should do the trick. Everyone has their own opinion on it, but I think it will work.

As far as the moulding, Bill, I'd put base shoe down and be done with it. That will follow most contours without any issue and looks nice.

Looks like lots more rain in the forecast this week. Ugh.

Matth
Posted on: 2009/10/23 1:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.