Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
202 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

mikeg826 Preventing Battery from draining
Guru Newb
12 Posts

What's the easiest way to prevent the battery from constantly draining? I know Driving the vette would be the correct answer, but I never seem to have the time. I usually have it out every 3-4 months for a day or two. Should i disconnect the batter or get a battery tender for it? If a battery tender - what's the best brand?

>mike
Posted on: 2008/1/4 20:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

vis_croceus Re: Preventing Battery from draining
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Quote:
What's the easiest way to prevent the battery from constantly draining? I know Driving the vette would be the correct answer, but I never seem to have the time. I usually have it out every 3-4 months for a day or two. Should i disconnect the batter or get a battery tender for it? If a battery tender - what's the best brand?

>mike

I keep chargers on my non-DD cars year round. Any charger that has a float capability is fine, which is pretty much any charger over $20.

If you just disconnect it, it will still discharge, just not as fast.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 20:25

kentucky_vetter RE:Preventing Battery from draining
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

I picked up one at Harbor Freight Item # 42292-4vga . on sale now for $4.99 was $14.99. seems to do a great job .
Posted on: 2008/1/4 23:15

Alcee1 RE:Preventing Battery from draining
Guru Emeritus
Los Angeles
277 Posts

I would like to know the answer to this. I drive my C4 everyday M-F, but if I start to drive my C5 and let the C4 sit for four or more days, the battery drains. I bought a battery tender and haven't had a problem since so that may be the answer. Your thoughts?????
Posted on: 2008/1/5 1:21
Edlebrock Heads, 2030 cam, X-ram w/EGR, 1.6 R/R, Bored TB´s, AFPR, Pro-built Tranny, Vigilantly 2600, Transgo, Dana 44 3.54, Hardened Pushrods & Head Bolts, Custom performance chip, K&N, Double roller timing chain, Aluminum radiator & flex hose, MS

Livin_the_dream RE:Preventing Battery from draining
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

I found a black and decker battery tender at wal-mart @$15.
Posted on: 2008/1/5 1:24

CFI-EFI RE:Preventing Battery from draining
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
I would like to know the answer to this. I drive my C4 everyday M-F, but if I start to drive my C5 and let the C4 sit for four or more days, the battery drains. I bought a battery tender and haven't had a problem since so that may be the answer. Your thoughts?????
Either it's time for a new battery or you have an excess current draw somewhere.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/5 1:46

RollaMo-LT4 RE:Preventing Battery from draining
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Quote:

Something isn't right there, as it shouldn't drain that quick. You have something that is drawing juice when it shouldn't.

During the winter, Mine will sometimes sit for 3 to 4 weeks without any issues.
Posted on: 2008/1/5 1:47

bogus RE:Preventing Battery from draining
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The tender is the best bet, because a battery will drain a little, and lead acid doesn't really like being discharged... to be honest, the alternator isn't designed to recharge a discharged battery, either.

Al - I agree with CFI, a battery that drains after 4 days has an issue... either a current drain or a weak cell. How old is the battery, BTW?
Posted on: 2008/1/5 1:51

Guru Emeritus
Los Angeles
277 Posts

I agree with you all about the drain and that something aint right, that four day drain was on the old battery, since then I bought a new battery and a battery tender, I have yet to let it sit without the tender so I really don't know if it will drain as fast as before, not really sure if I want to find out either. I guess my solution was to get the tender and not worry about it anymore. BTW how long can a car sit before the battery drains. My wifes Cavalier sat for a good 2 months without starting and it cranked right up??

Just curious.

I'm pretty sure I have a drain somewhere......
Posted on: 2008/1/5 16:40
Edlebrock Heads, 2030 cam, X-ram w/EGR, 1.6 R/R, Bored TB´s, AFPR, Pro-built Tranny, Vigilantly 2600, Transgo, Dana 44 3.54, Hardened Pushrods & Head Bolts, Custom performance chip, K&N, Double roller timing chain, Aluminum radiator & flex hose, MS

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Too bad you didn't trouble shoot it before you threw money at it. You have covered up (cured) the symptoms, without knowing if you have treated the cause. I can't say that I blame you for not wanting to chance discharging the new battery. Our car batteries don't like to be deep cycled. Every time the battery goes dead, it's life expectancy is reduced. Instead, check the amp draw after the interior lights have timed out and shut off. If you have over a 50 milliamp draw, it is time to start pulling fuses and tracking down the source of the draw. You may actually want to park it somewhere, sometime, where there isn't a battery tender handy.

I don't know of any any published figures, but my stone aged (no electronics) pick up has been known to sit for 10 months and starting right up. I don't know what the maximum time would be, that just happens to be as long as it was between usages.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/5 22:05

Guru Emeritus
Los Angeles
277 Posts

50 milliamps, I think I will try that. 10 months, dang, didn't know they last that long.

Thanks CFI-EFI
Posted on: 2008/1/5 22:14

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

It might have gone longer. I wasn't conducting a test. I just wanted to use the truck. Remember, no electronics.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/5 22:45

runner140 RE:Preventing Battery from draining
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Quote:
I picked up one at Harbor Freight Item # 42292-4vga . on sale now for $4.99 was $14.99. seems to do a great job .

Thats cheaper than the shipping.
Posted on: 2008/1/5 23:05

RRTvette RE:Preventing Battery from draining
Guru
Bogalusa, LA
50 Posts

The leakage current should not exceed 50 ma. You need to disconnect the neg cable from the battery. Place an ampmeter in line with the battery and cable. Pull the courtesy light fuse so you can have the passenger side door open to do the tests. Start pulling fuses until you notice a greather than 50 ma draw. If it occurs, that is the circuit you need to trace. If you have an amplifier, radar detector, aftermarket alarm disconnect them before hand. Make sure the hood lights, console door light, and vanity mirror lights are off.

If all the fuses check out ok, start removing the fusible links behind the battery one at a time, on the early model C4's, while watching the ampmeter.

I traced my drain down to the driverside seat motor.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 2:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.