Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
206 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

vetteblondie, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4+3
This is the manual transmission from 1984-1988.

It’s a Borg-Warner Super T-10 with a planetary overdrive attached to the tail shaft housing.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BillH MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Pics speak for themselves.
Extremely small bit of carbom on the rotor which I removed with a paper towel.
And I do wash the motor.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0657.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  IMGP0660.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  IMGP0663.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  IMGP0665.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/3/10 21:26

shakedown067 Re: MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
Senior Guru
119 Posts

Nice. I'm happy with mine. I think I just passed two years...about 10-12,000 miles.
Posted on: 2010/3/10 22:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

glad to see
Posted on: 2010/3/10 22:55

pianoguy Re: MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Mine was clean inside, too, after about 7K miles. I hadn't intended to inspect it, but the spun bearing I had last year kind of forced my hand.
Posted on: 2010/3/10 23:07

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

biggrizzly Re: MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have about 5 - 7K miles on mine. So far so good too.
Posted on: 2010/3/10 23:28

flyboy Re: MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Looks clean enough to eat home made pizza off of.
Posted on: 2010/3/11 3:21

BillH Re: MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

That was really cheesy Jo.
Posted on: 2010/3/11 3:28

denz93 Re: MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
Guru Newb
edwardsville il
48 Posts

I will never wash my engine again
Posted on: 2010/7/12 21:56

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

denz93 wrote:
I will never wash my engine again

I know you're kidding. You will get this problem solved and get to enjoy the car.

My engine got soaked again today. Plug wires,coil,ICM, opti all got wet. But done the right way.

Used a bit of ArmorAll too.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0832.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  IMGP0834.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  IMGP0835.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/7/12 22:28

flyboy Re: MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Sano
Posted on: 2010/7/13 3:43

Calm Re: MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

I've had my '95 since 2004. Washed the motor (pressure wash) at least twice/month. Sure, I went through two factory opti's....BUT BOTH HAD BROKEN ROTORS! (screws had come loose and both had loc-tite blue) Had nothing to do with moisture. BOTH were reasonably clean and dry inside when they went south. No carbon tracking either.

Got tired of the failures so went with MSD (about 10k miles ago) and am happy I did.

I am really puzzled by all the hype opti's get about washing the motor. On ALL GenII forums.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 6:16

vis_croceus Re: MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Quote:

Calm wrote:
I've had my '95 since 2004. Washed the motor (pressure wash) at least twice/month. Sure, I went through two factory opti's....BUT BOTH HAD BROKEN ROTORS! (screws had come loose and both had loc-tite blue) Had nothing to do with moisture. BOTH were reasonably clean and dry inside when they went south. No carbon tracking either.

Got tired of the failures so went with MSD (about 10k miles ago) and am happy I did.

I am really puzzled by all the hype opti's get about washing the motor. On ALL GenII forums.

Kinda hard to believe you could spend enough time on the various forums to see the hype and not also see all the new-owner failures. Very common for somebody to buy an LT1, hose it off the next day, and then have a no-start.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 7:29

Calm Re: MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Quote:

vis_croceus wrote:
Quote:

Calm wrote:

Kinda hard to believe you could spend enough time on the various forums to see the hype and not also see all the new-owner failures. Very common for somebody to buy an LT1, hose it off the next day, and then have a no-start.

Steve,
Of course, I see that all of the time! And it puzzles me! Typically they're using a low pressure hose and attempting to keep the water stream away from direct contact to the opti....in other words they're "splashing" water on the opti. My question is this: Why are opti's not failing when driven on rainy roads? Surely they're getting SOME water splashed on them.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 17:02

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Calm wrote:
Quote:

vis_croceus wrote:
Quote:

Calm wrote:

Steve,
Of course, I see that all of the time! And it puzzles me! Typically they're using a low pressure hose and attempting to keep the water stream away from direct contact to the opti....in other words they're "splashing" water on the opti. My question is this: Why are opti's not failing when driven on rainy roads? Surely they're getting SOME water splashed on them.

IMO, the GM design could be better but there are many examples of 100k mile optis out there.
Yea, in the rain, they're getting a bit wet.
I think, it's water from the top down into the opti that produces the problems weither it's washing or a w/p leak.

I'm not a fan of the paper gasket and question the quality of the drive seal. Not to mention the 92-93 w/o vent.

I've posted pics before of the one I took out of my 92, it was total rust inside. Hell, the balls from the bearing fell out in my hand when I took it out.

The MSD has a much better seal design.
Posted on: 2010/7/13 17:27

Guru Newb
edwardsville il
48 Posts

Ok guys i picked up the msd today and it came with vent lines mine did not have them do i plug this port up or try to figure out how to hook it up
Posted on: 2010/7/27 17:34

biggrizzly Re: MSD Opti @ 10k Miles
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

denz93 wrote:
Ok guys i picked up the msd today and it came with vent lines mine did not have them do i plug this port up or try to figure out how to hook it up

Yes, You will use them. Do not plug the vent. If you read the instructions on the MSD unit it explains how to do the vent lines on the originally non-vented cars. You will tap into an existing line on one of the sides of the intake. I just forget now, but can get you a picture or two tomorrow.

Good Luck
Posted on: 2010/7/27 17:43

Guru Newb
edwardsville il
48 Posts

great thanks i am putting it on this weekend and praying to the Lt1 gods
Posted on: 2010/7/27 18:12

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

It's easy, pinch a little hole in the bottom of the air horn (from the throttlebody to the air cleaner) and put the 90 degree fitting in there (per instructions).

You can find a vacuum source on either side. I used the pass side. Splice in the tee, make sure the check valve is in the right direction and you're done.

Attach file:

jpg  2006-08-15 02-00-51_0001.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  2006-08-15 02-02-38_0003.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/7/27 18:20

Guru Newb
edwardsville il
48 Posts

nice pics thanks. sounds like a peice of cake. Check valve flows towards intake correct?
Posted on: 2010/7/27 20:38

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

denz93 wrote:
nice pics thanks. sounds like a peice of cake. Check valve flows towards intake correct?

Yes, and that should be noted in the instructions.

Also, put the tubing and clamp on the bottom opti fitting before you install it, much easirt that way.

Suggest you pull the old cap and turn the engine over until the old rotor points straigth up or straight down. You can turn the engine over on the crank with a rachet & 5/8ths socket.

If any seals are leaking, they can be replaced with the timing cover on.
The only way to get the seals is to get the timing cover kit - Felpro #TCS45953
Posted on: 2010/7/27 21:01

Guru Newb
edwardsville il
48 Posts

I already took the other opti off took it back and got my money back any other way to do this like putting #1 up on compression stroke and pulling cover off of new opti to verify location of rotor. even though i hate to break open the new msd.
Posted on: 2010/7/28 13:20

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

denz93 wrote:
I already took the other opti off took it back and got my money back any other way to do this like putting #1 up on compression stroke and pulling cover off of new opti to verify location of rotor. even though i hate to break open the new msd.

Zero problems opening the MSD and the sealing is different (way better) than the GM.

The MSD has the splined drive shaft built in, impossible to remove.
You should have the old shaft from when you removed the other opti. Look at it to find the one spline that is twice as wide as the other splines (this is what keys it into the cam in only one position). I'd suggest marking that spline (silver sharpy, dab of paint, whatever). Put that drive shaft back into the cam and mark the timing cover with the location of that thick spline. Pull the old drive shaft out.
Note the location of the thick spline on the MSD shaft.
That thick spline go in the same location as the mark you made on the timing cover.
NOTE: The MSD will only go in one way (thick spline). It should slide in easily up against the block, if not, the spline isn't lined up right. And definately don't use the bolts to pull the opti up to the block.

Don't worry about the sealing.
Take the cap off the MSD on the bench, note the square O-ring that seals the cap. It's easy to put that O-ring and cap back on after the MSD is on the car.
While you have the cap off, pull the rotor screws and put some locktite on them.
Posted on: 2010/7/28 13:51

Guru Newb
edwardsville il
48 Posts

Ok folks I put the new msd opti on last night and so far the car runs great. I ran it up to operating temp before i took it off the jack stands and no spark knock.Put the wheels back on and drove it about 30 min and all is good. Actually I think it runs better than it ever has,but it should with all the new parts that are on it.I am going to take it for an hour ride tonight. Then retorque the water pump bolts and make sure there is no leaks. the 2 previous optis i bought were manufactured by Richport Technologies purchased from a local parts store for $210.00. But they are not worth $2.So anyone who thinks they can get off cheap by using these don't. I learned the hard way.Last but not least. I want to thank everyone on this site for the tips and info over the last 2 months. I will continue to be a member and use this site. Thanks again.
Posted on: 2010/8/3 13:19

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Excellent.

Yea, lesson learned on cheaper opti's. Not that a new GM wouldn't have worked well but (IMO) the MSD is worth the $$$.

I installed mine and forgot about it for 10k miles. Checked it at 10k, and I don't plan to look at it for a long time now.
Posted on: 2010/8/3 13:26

Guru Newb
edwardsville il
48 Posts

Yeah MSD is pretty well proven. I don't drive this car much but my wife drives it all over so she has been on my a$$$ to get it fixed. Now she will be happy for 5 minutes
Posted on: 2010/8/3 15:04

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.