Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
280 user(s) are online (220 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH2004R
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.74
2nd Gear: 1.57
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.67

Reverse: 2.06

- Used in production GM model...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BillH Jim Garner's Olds 442 Baha Racer
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, that's right a 442 Baha car. Mavrick musta been nuts but, he did race the Baha 1000 in an Olds. He had 3 cars built 2 are restored. Rod Hall's from Reno and will be racing this one here in 2 weeks at the Xtreme Outlaw 250 mile race.

Some really good pics here (I couldn't figure out how to post the Adobe file):
http://www.rodhallracing.com/multimedia.html

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4729.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/6/7 12:57

pianoguy Re: Jim Garner's Olds 442 Baha Racer
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I remember those cars from back in the day. Mr. Garner has always been one of my favorites.
Posted on: 2010/6/7 12:58

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: Jim Garner's Olds 442 Baha Racer
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

dare to be different

he was quite the racer back them
Posted on: 2010/6/7 13:38

TommyT-Bone Re: Jim Garner's Olds 442 Baha Racer
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

One thing is for sure. He knew how to live.
Posted on: 2010/6/7 13:56

flyboy Re: Jim Garner's Olds 442 Baha Racer
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

He also had a deal with AMC. Baha 500 SC Ramblers.
Quintuple bypass in '88.
Both knees replaced in 2000.
Stroke in '08.
Still alive at 82 as far as I know.
Always liked his acting.
Posted on: 2010/6/7 17:33

teebee Re: Jim Garner's Olds 442 Baha Racer
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12371 Posts

James Garner has always been one of my favorites. It's cool to see his old cars still at it after all these years.
Posted on: 2010/6/7 18:21

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

found this

Quote:
vistacruiser67 — July 30, 2009 — We put together a video of the off road baja Olds Cutlass and 442 cars that Garner drove. There seems to have been at least three of these cars made as one of these photos shows two 69s and a 70. Im thinking 350 Olds engines were used in the two 69s and a 455 engine were used in the 70. From what the info I found these cars were raced for three years until 72 and then a Banshee was built as a mid-engine, rear-drive behemoth, and the handiwork of Baja legend Vic Hickey. Hickey built the car for the desert racing circuit. His driver was a Maverick, also known as Rockford. The Banshee's pilot was actor James Garner. ''We'd run a regular Cutlass, stock configuration with beefed up suspension, for three years," recalls Hickey. "Garner was doing a good job, so I figured he could use a quicker car."
If Oldsmobiles seem to be rather strange material for off-road racers, it's stranger yet that Hickey ran them without any official affiliation with the company. He had been a manager at GM, and he'd had a long relationship with George Hurst (as in shifters), who was a key Olds supplier at the time. Those connections gave Hickey access to some of Olds' hottest parts. Hickey was a senior research engineer at Chevrolet from 1959 to 1969, when he developed the first Blazers. Today Hickey is 77. But at the height of his off-road days, Hickey worked out of a shop in Ventura.

He built the Banshee quickly - just 45 days from start to finish. Its fiberglass body was based on a stock metal Cutlass, which customizer George Barris had shortened 14 inches. The skin covered a frame made of 1.75-inch tubular steel. The engine was built from an experimental Oldsmobile 455-cid aluminum block designed under Olds engineer Dale Smith. It was originally developed for drag racing. Mated to a 400 Turbo HydraMatic in the Banshee, the 455 made 480 horsepower at 5000 rpm. Although the aluminum engine was 140 pounds lighter than a cast iron version, a traditional front-engine, rear-drive configuration would still have caused a front/rear weight imbalance. Hickey moved the engine back 27 inches, next to the driver, to prevent the Banshee from nose-diving when it was airborne. "With Garner's weight on the left to balance out the engine, the thing flew pretty even," says Hickey. The Banshee frame used a short/long arm suspension; Hickey fabricated the control arms, and using leaf springs in back and coils in front, found 11 inches of suspension travel. Goodyear made tires based on a tread design and rubber compound used for tractors. ''At first we had some cooling problems due to the desert temperatures, so I added a second radiator core," Hickey recalls. ''After that, so far as I know there were no mechanical failures in 25 or 30 races."

It first raced at the Seven-11, a desert race in Las Vegas that evolved into the Mint 400. "I had known Jim Garner for years," Hickey says. "He was a friend of Bob Bondurant, and Bob and I were friends. The thing about Garner was that, while he wasn't the world's most fearless driver, he had the best retention of any man who drove for me. On a prerun, if he hit a bump, he'd come back five days later and tell you where it was within 10 feet." Garner only won one race in the Banshee. That was the Riverside Grand Prix, run along a river bed near Riverside, Calif. But he usually ran near the front of the pack, and often placed high in the final standings. Oddly, his only competition accident came in the race he won. According to Hickey, Garner momentarily took his eyes off the course near the finish line at Riverside to look at the crowd, and flipped the Banshee into the river. Garner crawled out and threw his helmet in the mud in disgust. Yet he was so far ahead that he was eventually declared the winner. The actor had one other wreck in the Banshee a big one, in an early shakedown, when the car was going at least two-thirds of its 144-mph top speed. "He went into this corner at about a hundred miles an hour, lost it in the sand and flipped the car about five times,'' Hickey says. "I was relieved to learn it was strong enough to protect Garner from injuries. The last thing I wanted to do was buy a movie star." Hickey straightened the frame, added new fiberglass and had the Banshee ready to race.

Mickey Thompson drove the Banshee circa 72 and later in several races without a win .

some F5000 stuff

Quote:
A short clip that starts with a Formula A race at Lime Rock, CT in September 1969. Due to a break down during qualifying, Scooter Patrick must start his Surtees TS5 at the end of the pack. Enjoy!

It's the real stuff, photographed at real races, and you go racing with James Garner . . , star of "Grand Prix." But, this time it's for real, he owns the cars and takes you behind the scenes at Sebring, Daytona, Limerock, St. Jovite and even some of his off road racing in Baja, Mexico in his Bad Bronco. Some of Jim's playmates are Parnelli Jones, John Surtees, Roger Penske, Mario Andretti, Sam Posey, Scooter Patrick, Pat Fahey, Dick Smothers, Dave Jordan, Ed Leslie, Lothar Motschenbacher, Bob Bondurant, Larry Berquist, Fred Baker, Dick Simon, Bill Brack, Chuck Trowbridge, Rex Ramsey, Ronnie Bucknum, Bob Brown, Mike Hiss, Chuck Dietrich, Robert Fischetti, Max Kelly, Peter Rehl, John Mahler, Rich Galloway and hundreds more. You will see the real blood, sweat and tears, like Jim said, "Why couldn't it be like "Grand Prix", when you do it for real, it ain't like the movies!" Producer Barry Scholer and director Andy Sidaris filmed for nine months. John Srevens devised a tiny camera the size of a grapefruit that recorded action that will make your hair Stand on end! Made from 16mm, the film has a few scratches, but this is one you won't want to miss. James Garner, we can't thank you enough!
Posted on: 2010/6/7 21:21

BillH Re: Jim Garner's Olds 442 Baha Racer
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, Hickey did one and Rod has the other survivor.

I'm going to try and go see it run in 2 weeks.

Rod hall used to have a Trophy Truck racing school here, I always wanted to do the school since all my offroad racing was on 2 wheels.
Posted on: 2010/6/7 21:41

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I'd love to own a F5000 - nasty cars.
My kind of power to weight ratio.

This '73 Chevron just sold for $135k

Attach file:

jpg  1143404601le.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/6/7 21:51

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

no to hi-jack, but if they kept F5000 alive maybe the whole CART/Indycar thing would have never happened.
Posted on: 2010/6/7 22:20

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
no to hi-jack, but if they kept F5000 alive maybe the whole CART/Indycar thing would have never happened.

Hi-jack away.

Wouldn't have mattered with Tony and Roger's egos.
Posted on: 2010/6/7 22:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.