Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
261 user(s) are online (224 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Shark
Any Corvette from model year 1968 to 1982 is loosely referred to as a Shark. Stemming from the Mako concepts and a general acceptance that the C3 lo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jimmers Clutch Problem?
Senior Guru
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
211 Posts

Coming home yesterday I got a weird grinding sound when I would push the clutch in to change gears. The shifter would also shake a bit. The noise would go away as soon as I let the clutch out. I got home and went through every gear on the driveway a few times. It only did it 3 times. I can shift without any issues, and the clutch pedal works as it should.
I tried it again about an hour later but it didn't happen. I drove the car around the block a few times and it was fine. Any ideas what is wrong? The clutch and tob was replaced 2 years ago. I find it weird that the problem went away. Can something happen when it's hot? Master cylinder is full.
Posted on: 2010/9/13 18:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Clutch Problem?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Well... failing slave could explain it.

The fluid level is up, so that's a non-issue - for now!

I am wondering about the fork/throwout bearing relationship. If the fork slipped out of position, it would make noises, but not when the clutch is engaged.

So... throwout bearing sounds likely. It could be early signs of dying.
Posted on: 2010/9/13 19:03

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

jimmers Re: Clutch Problem?
Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Well... failing slave could explain it.

The fluid level is up, so that's a non-issue - for now!

I am wondering about the fork/throwout bearing relationship. If the fork slipped out of position, it would make noises, but not when the clutch is engaged.

So... throwout bearing sounds likely. It could be early signs of dying.

Are there anyways to test the throwout bearing without taking the tranny out and looking at it? Id like to get it fixed, but at the same time it's not doing it anymore so I'd hate to take it in and not find anything wrong.
Posted on: 2010/9/13 19:47

Mekanic Re: Clutch Problem?
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

noise with it in neutral, idle, clutch out that goes away with clutch in is usually the indicator of a TOB.

I'm with bogus on the fork or a failing slave
Posted on: 2010/9/13 22:25

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Senior Guru
211 Posts

I just went for another drive. For the first 20min it was fine, after that it happened a few times. It happens only when the clutch is pushed down.
Posted on: 2010/9/13 23:13

1Fast04Vert Re: Clutch Problem?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

That sure sounds like the throw out bearing is going out, but maybe not. In normal driving it should just be sitting there doing nothing, so why is it only acting up after driving for a while? Getting hot? That could only be if it is not fully releasing or binding on the trans input shaft.
Posted on: 2010/9/13 23:28

BillH Re: Clutch Problem?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
That sure sounds like the throw out bearing is going out, but maybe not. In normal driving it should just be sitting there doing nothing, so why is it only acting up after driving for a while? Getting hot? That could only be if it is not fully releasing or binding on the trans input shaft.

Yea and possibily the bearing is touching the fork once in a while. You can checl for feel by pushing the clutch in with your hand until you feel resistance, does it vibrate then?

To check your slave cyl, find a level place where the car won't roll. Clutch in (trans in 1st), hold to for 30 seconds or more. If the car starts to move even a little, something's leaking (by the o-rings).
Posted on: 2010/9/13 23:36

Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:

Yea and possibily the bearing is touching the fork once in a while. You can checl for feel by pushing the clutch in with your hand until you feel resistance, does it vibrate then?

To check your slave cyl, find a level place where the car won't roll. Clutch in (trans in 1st), hold to for 30 seconds or more. If the car starts to move even a little, something's leaking (by the o-rings).

Thanks I'll give this a try tomorrow. I guess either way the transmission will need to be dropped.
Posted on: 2010/9/14 3:32

movnviolation Re: Clutch Problem?
Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Not to long ago, I replaced a t/o bearing and clutch in my 89. The t/o bearing and clutch assembly only had 5k on the set. The housing of the bearing seperated and came apart.
The t/o bearings that come with clutch assembly's are junk.
I ordered a new clutch set and also ordered a Delco t/o bearing (pricey). Comparing the one that came with the set, with the Delco, The Delco was visibly beefier than the Chinese t/o bearing.
Just something to keep in mind!
Posted on: 2010/9/14 4:20

CentralCoaster Re: Clutch Problem?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Good to know! I've never seen a Delco bearing.

I have bought several LT1 clutch sets and ZR1 clutch sets, and although the box and material quality looks similar, the ZR1 bearings looked slighty different at the flange (the weak point).
Posted on: 2010/9/14 5:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.