Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
249 user(s) are online (204 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A4
Generic reference to an automatic equipped C4. All are 4-speed overdrive units....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DaleD Another one bites the dust.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I had fuel in my oil on my 87. I had the injectors replaced. Brand new set. Driving it on Sunday, I noticed a noise. Took it in to the shop today. Best guesstimate is that a bearing is bad. They say they can diagnose it cheaply enough, and if it's a rod bearing, or a main bearing, it's not so bad. I'd get out for under $500. IF it's a wrist pin... it's a motor rebuild.

I give up.

I'm going to try to trade the 87 and my Camry in for something I'll find fun enough. I'm going to try to get $6k from a dealer for my car. It's actually a good price if someone wants to deal with it. I've done A LOT to this darn thing. But, for $6k, you can get a car that's not broken, so I'm not going to place an ad.
Posted on: 2010/10/19 22:56

TommyT-Bone Re: Another one bites the dust.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Damn Dale. Sure has been rash of incidents recently. Sorry to hear this.
Posted on: 2010/10/19 23:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Another one bites the dust.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That's my one problem with the early C4's... they are just not holding up for daily usage... or near daily usage.

You have one other option: Updating the driveline to an LSx and 4L60E, or a manual conversion.

Just a thought...
Posted on: 2010/10/19 23:40

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

just randomly brain storming... do you use Mobil 1 or other synthetic? If so, a short drive, getting the oil up to op temp, should burn off a little fuel. Synthetics and gas don't mix as well as dino and gas, as such, it gets caught in the filter and ultimately burns off.
Posted on: 2010/10/19 23:46

DaleD Re: Another one bites the dust.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Naw, that's just too much money. They said they could do a crate engine for about $4k. So, I put $6k into it for a crate and new/rebuilt transmission, and then the heater core goes. Or the wheel bearings. Or... And I'm fixing a car that I've got another $6-$7k into, and could only sell for $8k on a very good day.

This car fought me every step of the way. It wins.
Posted on: 2010/10/19 23:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I would get a C5... between the Camry and the C4, you are really close to a nice C5... just a thought... or perhaps a GTO.
Posted on: 2010/10/19 23:52

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
just randomly brain storming... do you use Mobil 1 or other synthetic?

I had a full extra quart of "oil". So I parked it, bought new injectors, had them replaced and an oil change.

I'm using amsoil synthetic in it.
Posted on: 2010/10/19 23:52

pianoguy Re: Another one bites the dust.
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Man, that sucks, Dale! Chew on it a bit and weigh all your options before you pull the plug. Best of luck!
Posted on: 2010/10/20 0:57

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Ultraman Re: Another one bites the dust.
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14758 Posts

Hope you don't give up on Vettes. Comes a time when you just have to trade up! Hope it works out for you.
Posted on: 2010/10/20 1:20

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

A C5 or GTO is out. If it's my only car, I won't be able to get around well in the snow, and we get a lot of it here.

I'm thinking something like a Maxima.

I've got a wedding and some other things to deal with, so my time with Vettes is over for now.
Posted on: 2010/10/20 1:38

Matatk Re: Another one bites the dust.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Dale - I can't fault your decision at all! After the literally thousands of dollars I've dumped in the 89 I sometimes scratch my head in amazement. Especially when a $25 ignition coil module makes it break down on the side of the road...I've rebuilt nearly everything on this car.

You've had your issues like anyone, but you've fought through it admirably! There are a lot of nice cars out there - what are you looking for? 4D? 2D? 4WD? Family van? Maybe we can help you narrow down the selection...

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/10/20 1:56

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I really only have one requirement... that it goes in snow, that is, front wheel drive.

I drive 10 miles round trip to work. I drive about 7k miles a year. And my youngest child is 18, (I just bought a Hyundai I posted about). So, I could get just about anything. I think more of a sporty sedan would fit the bill. But I wouldn't be opposed to a smaller sport SUV.

An option is to just sell the Vette to a local dealer for whatever he'll give me. My Camry is an 05 XLE, with 37k miles on it. It's dull has dishwater to drive, but it always goes.
Posted on: 2010/10/20 2:20

TommyT-Bone Re: Another one bites the dust.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Maybe you should put off any serious decision making till Spring. It would be a shame to give up the fight over a $500 fix. (You can see just how sick I am).
Posted on: 2010/10/20 3:14

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Screw the maxima.

You need something that will inspire. Over time, all the FWD sedans bore me to death.

Take a close hard look at a Subaru WRX. Those things are an absolute blast. AWD and good power.

Now, if you want FWD and some power (scary power, really), the MazdaSpeed3 is sweet. Also, Mazda made something called the MazdaSpeed6 a couple years ago, 275hp, turbo-4, AWD, 6spd manual! Think about that one for a moment.
Posted on: 2010/10/20 5:50

BillH Re: Another one bites the dust.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Screw the maxima.

You need something that will inspire. Over time, all the FWD sedans bore me to death.

Take a close hard look at a Subaru WRX. Those things are an absolute blast. AWD and good power.

Now, if you want FWD and some power (scary power, really), the MazdaSpeed3 is sweet. Also, Mazda made something called the MazdaSpeed6 a couple years ago, 275hp, turbo-4, AWD, 6spd manual! Think about that one for a moment.

Ditto on Bore Me to Death.

And ditto on the WRX, we have a boatload of them here SCCA that the guys and gals autocross and take to the racetrack, beat them pretty hard and have relatively few problems with them.
I've been in many on the track and they do have "Bang for the Bucks".

Of course, find one that has absolutely zero mods and no fart can muffler. There's quite a few out there that are stock and not hammered.
Posted on: 2010/10/20 12:57

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Forgot to ask, what is your price range? And do you want new or used?

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/10/20 13:20

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I want to go used, and stay under $20k. I think I'll go to the local independent at lunch today and see if he'll buy the Corvette outright.
Posted on: 2010/10/20 14:18

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Went to the dealer. They complimented me on how nice it looked, but said they'd get back to me tomorrow with an offer.

Selling a Corvette like this is kind of like putting down a sick dog. Something that you have to do, but it's no fun.
Posted on: 2010/10/21 0:02

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

i was thinking about this today. If it was me, and in your price range, I'd find an FWD or 4x4 beater (prefully a p/u so you can haul stuff) for 5k.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/index.j ... chform&min_price=&drive=4 wheel drive&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=44221&advanced=y&end_year=2000&doors=&transmission=&max_price=5000

And I'd find another Vette for the rest of the $$$.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchr ... d=72401&rdm=1287794021164
Posted on: 2010/10/23 0:30

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

any feedback from the dealer?

Any idea what is actually wrong?
Posted on: 2010/10/23 1:45

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

The dealer wouldn't buy it outright, but would take in in trade. He'd give me $5k - $5.5k in trade. Another 2 dealers told me flat out they didn't want the car.

I found 2 cars that interest me, but they didn't grab me. A 2010 Taurus, the redesign. It's a massive vehicle, but it's pretty nice. They want $24k for it, it has 11k miles on it. I also found a 2008 Acura TL with 35k on it. It's really nice. They want $23k for that. I could easily buy either one with my 2 trades.

I'm seriously considering just keeping the car over the winter and trying in the spring when the value of my car would be higher.

The mechanics gave me possiblities... main bearings, rod bearings or wrist pins. The knock isn't loud, and isn't noticable unless you really are listening or familiar with the car. Being that I am particular, and pay attention, I noticed it right away. Main or rod bearings are about a $500 repair, wrist pins = rebuild. My experience with this car is that it's likely the wrist pins, and if not, as soon as I spring for the mains, wrist pins or rings will fail. The mechanic said they could do a crate motor for about $4k complete with install. They didn't give me a price for the rebuild.

I can't even tell you how many times I've fixed something on this thing only to find another failure. I don't blame the car, it's old. I blame my inexprience and not fully understanding that an old car will likely need everything replaced.
Posted on: 2010/10/24 15:40

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Hm... any loss of oil pressure? The digital gauge is rather accurate. When warm, if the problem is bearing related, it would manifest as much lower oil pressure.

Another trick is to rev the engine up and then jump off the gas pedal. If you hear the noise as the engine slows, it is a main.

There is also a real chance it is as simple as an exhaust manifold gasket.
Posted on: 2010/10/24 17:12

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

They gave me a rough diagnosis. If you put your hand on the engine, you can feel the knock. That's how they speculated bottom end. The oil pressure is good, they asked about that too.

Oddly enough, I drove it today and keeping an eye on the oil pressure, I flipped the switch from oil temp to oil pressure, and it broke!
Posted on: 2010/10/24 22:10

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I drove Taurus's from the day they came out to 2003, a new one every 50,000 miles.
Posted on: 2010/10/25 1:39

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

The redesigned Taurus is impressive... and a massive car.
Posted on: 2010/10/25 2:32

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have rented the newest version of the Taurus... not bad, but the center of gravity of a 2 story house.
Posted on: 2010/10/25 2:54

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I have rented the newest version of the Taurus... not bad, but the center of gravity of a 2 story house.

Just like the older model.
Posted on: 2010/10/25 12:52

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

I am an suv kind of guy, and although they aren't "sportscars" some of the newer ones are nice and peppy. A small suv doesn't get bad gas mileage, either.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/10/25 14:41

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Drove an 2008 Acura TL today. Very nice car. 260hp, sits and drives nice.

I'm going to sleep on it.
Posted on: 2010/10/26 0:39

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the TL is a nice car.
Posted on: 2010/10/26 4:25

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I pulled the trigger on an 08 TL. Traded the Camry and the Corvette.
Posted on: 2010/10/27 23:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

may you rest easy... and next time you buy a Vette, DON'T COMPROMISE. Get exactly what you want, from the vintage that you want.
Posted on: 2010/10/28 0:06

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Not saying I will or won't have another Vette. I have regrets getting rid of the old girl, but she's too much of a handful for me. Someone is going to get a nice car, I hope whoever gets it, can get it to where it needs to be.
Posted on: 2010/10/28 0:15

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Well... my point is that when you went shopping for the Vette all those many years ago, you had a list of requirements... and when you found this one, you threw the list away!

All I am saying is make sure you stick to your list...
Posted on: 2010/10/28 0:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.