Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
321 user(s) are online (259 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 36
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Danspeed1 Issues with early 700r4
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Hello and Happy New Year,

I am working on a 1986 Camaro with an early 700R4 non Corvette transmission. The trans seems to grab well in all gears at WOT, and shifts alright at part throttle, however at WOT the shifts seem really long, drawn out, and sloppy. I remember driving my 82 Vette and it felt similar, but this is definitely worse. I was also reading online the earlier 700R4's are very weak. Is this a generic problem with this transmission or is it headed for the junk yard? What can I do to improve it if anything?

Dan
Posted on: 2011/1/2 17:45
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Issues with early 700r4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Improve it? Send it to PeteK...
Posted on: 2011/1/2 18:54

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

NC Kid Re: Issues with early 700r4
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Bogus, do you think on a well working transmission a GOOD flush by a reputable shop, synthetic ATF, and a well built/installed shift kit would make the trans stronger without rebuilding it? I may be way off on that but for the original posters sake and for my own curiosity, I was wondering if you knew. Didn't want to start a new thread and sorry if I hijacked the thread. It just seems proper maintenance and the shift kit would make it a little stronger? Maybe a after market cooler and deeper pan with cooling fins on the bottom? Just wanting to see other options without a rebuild for the owners on a budget who want the most from a stock transmission.

Is it true once your transmission is shot, that you MUST get a new torque converter? My trans guy told me that because he said it would be impossible to clean ALL the junk out and I risked damaging the new transmission...

Sorry for the long post.
Posted on: 2011/1/2 19:26

Ultraman Re: Issues with early 700r4
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

I don't know what would cause that but when was it serviced last and how many miles are on it? They were not the strongest trannys, I had one go out at 100k and another at 150k. I bought remans both times.
Posted on: 2011/1/2 19:28

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

PeteK Re: Issues with early 700r4
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Common on a carb or throttle body car. New tv cable often helps, as well as the shift improver jigger that attaches at the throttle body. I forget the technical name for it, but it is a progressive, spring assisted thing that is about $10.
Posted on: 2011/1/2 20:29

bogus Re: Issues with early 700r4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:
Bogus, do you think on a well working transmission a GOOD flush by a reputable shop, synthetic ATF, and a well built/installed shift kit would make the trans stronger without rebuilding it? I may be way off on that but for the original posters sake and for my own curiosity, I was wondering if you knew. Didn't want to start a new thread and sorry if I hijacked the thread. It just seems proper maintenance and the shift kit would make it a little stronger? Maybe a after market cooler and deeper pan with cooling fins on the bottom? Just wanting to see other options without a rebuild for the owners on a budget who want the most from a stock transmission.

Is it true once your transmission is shot, that you MUST get a new torque converter? My trans guy told me that because he said it would be impossible to clean ALL the junk out and I risked damaging the new transmission...

Sorry for the long post.

NO! What you are suggesting is only masking the inherent weakness of the transmission.

Let me rephrase your question in more common terms:

I have a worn out pair of sneakers. The soles are shot and the laces are broken. If I put on a new pair of laces, with the sneakers be better than new?
Posted on: 2011/1/2 20:52

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Danspeed1 Re: Issues with early 700r4
Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
I don't know what would cause that but when was it serviced last and how many miles are on it? They were not the strongest trannys, I had one go out at 100k and another at 150k. I bought remans both times.

About 108K serviced in april 2010.

DG
Posted on: 2011/1/3 13:04
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Common on a carb or throttle body car. New tv cable often helps, as well as the shift improver jigger that attaches at the throttle body. I forget the technical name for it, but it is a progressive, spring assisted thing that is about $10.

Not a bad idea. Could you tell me the proper way to setup a tv cable. Tried once... led to disaster.

DG
Posted on: 2011/1/3 13:05
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Matatk Re: Issues with early 700r4
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Just for future reference, the earlier 700r4s have some weaker interior pieces. My builder said he will not rebuild pre-88 700r4s due to their weaknesses.

As far as the tv cable:

Locate the black "square" on the side of the plenum / bracket for the tv cable. Depress this with a screwdriver, and push the plastic sleeve for the cable back towards the firewall. Let out the square, and then get in the car and press the gas to the floor (make sure floor mat is not in the way). Others say to push the throttle blades all the way open, but I prefer the other method because if you have a worn throttle cable, the pedal all the way down may not open the throttle blades as much as twisting at the tb.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/1/4 2:43

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

I set the TV cable multiple times and it made no difference. I contacted Dana from pro built, he gave me a couple tips on how to check this out better. Seems for the adjustments we made... its a lost cause. I just bought a rebuild manual and I am actually considering rebuilding it myself.

DG
Posted on: 2011/1/13 7:28
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Anyone care to comment on rebuilding one of these. I have the manual... did one back in college with the assistance of my professor. I remember it being a PITA but we got through it. I passed the class with a decent grade... opened up the manual today to take a closer look at the job at hand. I can't figure out if its in another language or I have just been out of the game too long?

Who's built their own? Will i need any mandatory additional tools? What are some things to look out for?

Dan
Posted on: 2011/1/21 6:36
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

vetteoz Re: Issues with early 700r4
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:Who's built their own?

nobody here
http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... php?topic_id=9464&forum=1
Posted on: 2011/1/21 6:57

Vetron87 Re: Issues with early 700r4
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:
Anyone care to comment on rebuilding one of these. I have the manual... did one back in college with the assistance of my professor. I remember it being a PITA but we got through it. I passed the class with a decent grade... opened up the manual today to take a closer look at the job at hand. I can't figure out if its in another language or I have just been out of the game too long?

Who's built their own? Will i need any mandatory additional tools? What are some things to look out for?

Dan

Dan I rebuilt my 700R out of my 89 s-10 4x4 when I dropped a zz4 in it a couple of summers ago. Ordered my rebuild kit from Monster transmission. Gave them the species and they fixed me up with everything including heavy duty carrier and gears, I have rebuilt 350/400 turbo hydros, the 700R is a little more complicated with the valve body. Take pics and watch where the check balls and new springs go. I used the tech manual from GM and Monster trans and study it in detail. Monster Trans has a great Torque converter speced out for low end grunt. Be neat and clean, and label stuff.
Tool wise I had everything so thats a variable that as you look at your tools you need to figure out from the service manual what they use and what you have.
Took me 1/2 a day but I wasn't in a hurry. Hooked it up to my atf coolers and an external filter system and it runs great. Total Cost including torque converter was 1,300 bucks.
Posted on: 2011/1/21 15:17

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Half a day huh? I'd be lucky to get it done in two weeks.

I am not too worried about the valve body. I did a transgo shift kit on a 4l60 last year, and it wasn't all that bad.

DG
Posted on: 2011/1/21 16:42
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

vetteoz wrote:
Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:Who's built their own?

nobody here
http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... php?topic_id=9464&forum=1

THAT IS A GREAT WRITE UP FROM THE MASTER. DIDN'T KNOW THAT EXISTED... WILL MAKE MY JOB MUCH EASIER!!! THANKS!!
Posted on: 2011/1/21 16:55
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Vetron87 Re: Issues with early 700r4
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

The build went well and I know whats in it. Took a 1/2 a day to remove it. While I was at it I rebuilt the transfer case.
Perks of being a teacher, summers off!, plenty of time to figure stuff out.
I could never make any money at it! I'm too slow and calculating when it comes things mechanical.
Posted on: 2011/1/21 16:59

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.