Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
186 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98
The GM designation for the 5.7 liter, (350 cubic inch), TPI motor. This motor was used in other GM vehicles, but was used in the Corvette from 1985 t...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

j3studio Tell Me What's Going On ...
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

(1985/A4/very stock)

When car decides it won't start easily (well less than 50% of the time) the fix is to pop the hood and than hit the ignition again ... car always starts. Any ideas?
Posted on: 2008/1/22 2:18

Rex_Ruby Re: Tell Me What's Going On ...
Senior Guru
Philly Suburbs
180 Posts

Quote:
(1985/A4/very stock)

When car decides it won't start easily (well less than 50% of the time) the fix is to pop the hood and than hit the ignition again ... car always starts. Any ideas?

Anything rubbing the hood?

Maybe opening the hood has nothing to do with it. At that point youi've tried to start, maybe it needs a second then it is primed and ready to go?
Posted on: 2008/1/22 4:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CFI-EFI Re: Tell Me What's Going On ...
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
... car always starts. Any ideas?
When it doesn't start, what is missing? Does it crank over and not fire or is it that it won't crank? If it cranks, are the plugs firing? Is there fuel? Is it flooded because of a leaky injector or two? A bad fuel pressure regulator? It is doubtful that opening the hood plays any part other than the time delay involved. "Any ideas?" Lots of ideas. It is just going to take some logical order, good old fashioned trouble shooting, and some basic common sense.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/23 0:00

jhammons01 RE:Tell Me What's Going On ...
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I personally don't know where the distributor cap is located on an 85. On my 84 it is right next to the firewall.....this could lead to a grounding issue with the hood being closed.

Honestly....I am just throwing crap out as popping the hood to get the car to start is so odd.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 17:27

CentralCoaster RE:Tell Me What's Going On ...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Fuel related. Either it's not priming correctly, so you have to give it a 2nd try, or it's flooding and the first set of cranking is needed to clear it out.

Does it happen on cold starts, warm starts, or both?
Are you turning the key off before popping the hood?

Next couple of times you get in the car, cycle the key on, then off, then wait 10 seconds, then turn it on and try starting it. If this starts every time now it could be a priming issue.

If not, then the next couple times try flooring the gas, cranking it over 2 or 3 times, then stop, then start it normally. If this starts every time now it could be a flooding issue (injectors or FPR)
Posted on: 2008/1/23 17:45

CentralCoaster RE:Tell Me What's Going On ...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
Honestly....I am just throwing crap out...

:withstupid]http://www.chickslovethecar.com/images/smileys/crap.gif[/img]
Posted on: 2008/1/23 17:48

j3studio Re: Tell Me What's Going On ...
Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:
Maybe opening the hood has nothing to do with it. At that point youi've tried to start, maybe it needs a second then it is primed and ready to go?

Perhaps - I'll check. Of course now that I want it to fail for testing purposes, it'll probably work perfectly for the next coup of months ...
Posted on: 2008/1/23 18:21

Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:
When it doesn't start, what is missing? Does it crank over and not fire or is it that it won't crank? If it cranks, are the plugs firing? Is there fuel? Is it flooded because of a leaky injector or two? A bad fuel pressure regulator? It is doubtful that opening the hood plays any part other than the time delay involved. "Any ideas?" Lots of ideas. It is just going to take some logical order, good old fashioned trouble shooting, and some basic common sense.

Does not crank. Just "click" - no crank. Voltages look good but I believe it doesn't do this if it has been sitting on the battery tender.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 18:23

j3studio RE:Tell Me What's Going On ...
Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:
Fuel related. Either it's not priming correctly, so you have to give it a 2nd try, or it's flooding and the first set of cranking is needed to clear it out.

Does it happen on cold starts, warm starts, or both?
Are you turning the key off before popping the hood?

Next couple of times you get in the car, cycle the key on, then off, then wait 10 seconds, then turn it on and try starting it. If this starts every time now it could be a priming issue.

If not, then the next couple times try flooring the gas, cranking it over 2 or 3 times, then stop, then start it normally. If this starts every time now it could be a flooding issue (injectors or FPR)

Fuel pressures were good when checked last summer and the problem was happening then - I know this doesn't describe the whole fuel delivery situation, but it is an indicator.

Happens on both cold and warm starts, but seems to happen more on warm starts.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 18:27

CentralCoaster Re: Tell Me What's Going On ...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
Does not crank. Just "click" - no crank. Voltages look good but I believe it doesn't do this if it has been sitting on the battery tender.

Well, that's a whole different ball of wax!

First off, loosen, clean and reinstall all 4 of your battery cable connections.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 18:36

CFI-EFI Re: Tell Me What's Going On ...
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
That is why I asked. You didn't mention cranking in the opening post, one way or the other. I had thought of the fuel not priming and the flooding issue also, as can be seen from my first post, but I thought it would be better to start at the beginning, as in, ("Any ideas?" Lots of ideas. It is just going to take some logical order, good old fashioned trouble shooting, and some basic common sense.).

If Centralcoaster's idea doesn't cure the problem, it is time to attack the starter. After you remove it, you can tear the solenoid apart, clean up the contacts, and flip the large contact washer over, or you can take it to a parts store for testing and likely replacement. And by the way, The opening of the hood has NOTHING to do with it.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/23 19:10

Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:

Gotcha ... battery is reasonably new AC/Delco, but I'll check the connections - cables are almost certainly original.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 20:25

01Z06Black Re: Tell Me What's Going On ...
Guru Newb
Chester County, Pa
19 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Gotcha ... battery is reasonably new AC/Delco, but I'll check the connections - cables are almost certainly original.

Do you have the original stater?
If you have to change the starter, what will NCRS think?
If you need some help let me know.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 22:12

j3studio Update
Elite Guru
4247 Posts

I cleaned all the battery connectors today - they weren't horrible, but they weren't great either. It started right up afterwards ... we'll see wether the behavior gets consistently better.
Posted on: 2008/3/1 19:57

bogus RE:Tell Me What's Going On ...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

bad battery cables can really lead to some wacky problems...
Posted on: 2008/3/1 23:08

Touringmike Re: Tell Me What's Going On ...
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Quote:

You're squashing the battery.
Open the hood, then get a compact unit.

:thumbleft:
Posted on: 2008/3/1 23:17

j3studio Another Update
Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Cleaning the battery connectors didn't fix the problem, but it now almost always starts on the second try. No hood opening or, as some have suggested, the time it takes to open the hood, is required.

It's almost like the electrical system has to wake up, but that can't be true, can it?

Posted on: 2008/3/9 17:30

kentucky_vetter Re: Tell Me What's Going On ...
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

Had a similar problem on my silverado. The end bell bushing was wore and let the stator drop onto the field. Slam the hood and it would jar it enuff to clear the ground and it would start. Just throwing this out there.
Posted on: 2008/3/9 18:14

bogus Re: Another Update
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:
Cleaning the battery connectors didn't fix the problem, but it now almost always starts on the second try. No hood opening or, as some have suggested, the time it takes to open the hood, is required.

It's almost like the electrical system has to wake up, but that can't be true, can it?

Hm... I have a starter from bastet44s 87 if you think it will help.
Posted on: 2008/3/9 18:38

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

j3studio Re: Another Update
Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:

Andy, I'm clueless here: can it be an issue with the starter if it doesn't even crank? Are there some connections that might be the issue?

The most annoying thing is that it's not consistent ...
Posted on: 2008/3/9 19:02

smooth Re: Another Update
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

Sounding more and more like a starter. Does it at least hum or make any kind of electrical noise when the key is turned. Is the starter engaging but not turning? I agree with the above suggestions that you should pull the starter. Run it out to one of the bazillion advance/pep boys/autozones in our area and let thenm check it.
Posted on: 2008/3/9 20:00

bogus Re: Another Update
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:
Quote:

Andy, I'm clueless here: can it be an issue with the starter if it doesn't even crank? Are there some connections that might be the issue?

The most annoying thing is that it's not consistent ...

oh, gee, John... this is taking all my willpower not to say "duh."

Ok, I said it... if it doesn't crank, then the starter is a great place to start!!

The ignition switch under the steering column is another great test spot. You see, the key switch actually pulls a rod that activates the switch. This is why I laugh so hard at TV shows whey they show someone hotwiring a car by reaching under the dash... yea, right... the wires are down on the column, just above your shin. Oh, you can hotwire down there, that's why GM came up with the VATS system.

So... if you want bastets old starter, lemme know and I will get it boxed up. I will mail it tomorrow (USPS pony express, cause it is heavy)...
Posted on: 2008/3/9 20:08

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

smooth Re: Another Update
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

Hey Andy
The post office has some great deals on priority mail shipping. They have a box that is 11x8.5x5.5 for only $8.95 and a box with 12x12x? for $12.95 any weight anywhere in the continental us......I just shipped out a set of complete c5 rear calipers to a guy in Arizona and it was only $8.95 !!!
Posted on: 2008/3/9 20:25

j3studio Re: Another Update
Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:
oh, gee, John... this is taking all my willpower not to say "duh."

Ok, I said it... if it doesn't crank, then the starter is a great place to start!!

The ignition switch under the steering column is another great test spot. You see, the key switch actually pulls a rod that activates the switch. This is why I laugh so hard at TV shows whey they show someone hotwiring a car by reaching under the dash... yea, right... the wires are down on the column, just above your shin. Oh, you can hotwire down there, that's why GM came up with the VATS system.

So... if you want bastets old starter, lemme know and I will get it boxed up. I will mail it tomorrow (USPS pony express, cause it is heavy)...

Andy,

You should know by now that I'm never afraid to ask a stupid question!

I'll get the starter tested and (ugh) start looking around to see if they make repros or do rebuilds ...
Posted on: 2008/3/9 23:13

j3studio Yet Another Update ...
Elite Guru
4247 Posts

So, it was the starter. Rex Ruby and I replaced it with a rebuilt Delco Remy last week and now Lauren starts with alacrity (in fact I have to be careful not to have it in start for too long).

I checked the numbers and the starter was original, so I can't complain. Thanks to everybody who put up with me overanalyzing the problem ...

:wave:
Posted on: 2008/3/25 15:44

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.