Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
219 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C4
Abbreviation for the 4th generation of Corvettes built from 1984-1996....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Why do we celebrate the fourth! Crap I can't believe these idiots!!!

Posted on: 2011/7/5 15:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33798 Posts

Boy are they stupid. Everybody knows it's about

Posted on: 2011/7/5 15:33

captmike13 Re: Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

One would think that a few of the older folks would have gotten it. But it doesn't surprise me one bit anymore.
Posted on: 2011/7/5 15:34

captmike13@yahoo.com

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33798 Posts

Posted on: 2011/7/5 15:34

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33798 Posts

Posted on: 2011/7/5 15:36

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33798 Posts

Posted on: 2011/7/5 15:38

biggrizzly Re: Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
4543 Posts

The Christmas in July ad was just Creepy!
Posted on: 2011/7/5 15:53

JrRifleCoach Re: Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Most don't.

And that is PATHETIC!

So are you a pinhead, or a patriot?
Posted on: 2011/7/5 17:41

Vetron87 Re: Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Not surprised! Maybe my babyboomer generation grew with an appreciation of what our daddy's did in WWII, or maybe it was taught in public schools, or could be there were real fathers in the home instead of a sperm donor. When kids today ask about why the United States is involved in a war, the parents are usually noncommital or Anti-American. My dad would say if it wasn't for thousands of guys like me you would be speaking fucking German or Japanese you little shit! Kids feel its not their fight or problem and let someone else deal with it.
Posted on: 2011/7/5 21:15

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33798 Posts

Parents reap what they sow. No respect, no honor, no punishment. Stupid motherfu(%@~$.
Posted on: 2011/7/5 21:19

biggrizzly Re: Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
4543 Posts

While driving in the car today with my wife, I thought I'd try to stump her with this question. She made me happy in the fact that she rattled off just about the whole history behind the declaration of independence and the start of the revolutionary war and what they were fighting for! Go girl!!

From John Adams

The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.[6]
Posted on: 2011/7/5 21:34

bogus Re: Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

My former sister-in-laws (hm, not really? she was my late brothers wife, not sure how to address it now) great-great-great....great grandfather signed the Declaration of Independence.

I know the history in generalities, I am not an expert on the era, but I know a shit load more than those morons.

Like listening to Sarah Palin.

However, the History Channel series, The Revolution, has been on all weekend. Learned more.

The worst part about public schools, they just glaze over the Revolution and fill in with a bunch of shit that doesn't matter. And then, where I went, from 4th to 7th grade, repeat the same crap over and over again. If I had to sit through one more history lesson on the Pilgrims, I would fucking scream.
Posted on: 2011/7/5 21:37

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Parents reap what they sow. No respect, no honor, no punishment. Stupid motherfu(%@~$.

Parents don't care about what they sow, most don't respect any kind of authority let alone respect for this country. Punishment is not soo bad! 3 meals a day, watch cable TV, work out in a rec center, hang out with your jail mates and talk shit. Honor? whats that!!! Had a student a few years back steal a kids walet, I caught the POS, his mom came in a told me and the police that her son was a Mother f*((^% Christian and would do something like that you mother fu(*^$%#. Gotta love it!
Posted on: 2011/7/5 21:39

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33798 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other[6][/color]

Yep, that sounds like my neighborhood.
Posted on: 2011/7/5 21:42

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

My former sister-in-laws (hm, not really? she was my late brothers wife, not sure how to address it now) great-great-great....great grandfather signed the Declaration of Independence.

I know the history in generalities, I am not an expert on the era, but I know a shit load more than those morons.

Like listening to Sarah Palin.

However, the History Channel series, The Revolution, has been on all weekend. Learned more.

The worst part about public schools, they just glaze over the Revolution and fill in with a bunch of shit that doesn't matter. And then, where I went, from 4th to 7th grade, repeat the same crap over and over again. If I had to sit through one more history lesson on the Pilgrims, I would fucking scream.

You would cringe the way High School US History is being taught now, kind of a negative skew on American involvement
in world events. Increase in the presonal struggles of ethnic/religious groups and what was done wrong, rather than
what the US had to do to maintain our freedom. No mention of the Alamo, 6 pages on the Vietnam War, 14 pages on WWII, 52 pages on the hippie/peace movement, 80 plus pages on being oppressed in America. Pretty Cool!
Posted on: 2011/7/5 22:00

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

And we wonder why things are fucked up.

I don't mind history changing as we learn more, but to ignore the positives and focus on the negatives is just wrong.
Posted on: 2011/7/5 22:40

Ultraman Re: Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14779 Posts

Draft those no mind dumbasses, I bet they would learn real quick with a drill sargent screaming in there faces.

We are doomed, and those are the same ones who voted for Obama. Didn't those lame idiots go to school? WTF over. It pisses me off.........
Posted on: 2011/7/5 23:03

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33798 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
We are doomed, and those are the same ones who voted for Obama. Didn't those lame idiots go to school? WTF over. It pisses me off.........

Not everything is taught in school. Many skills and beliefs are taught in the home and places of worship. Now if your not talking to your kids and involving them in their own development then their learning from their cyber companions, music selections and game consoles.
Posted on: 2011/7/5 23:20

JrRifleCoach Re: Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

This is why my distaste for those of the "cities".
Cities are full of brain dead morons like the videos prove.

Out in rural America we still have a grasp on our heritage.
Posted on: 2011/7/6 2:36
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

tjpreul Re: Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

When I was in college one of my classes was American History. I didn't buy the book for this class. A classmate asked how was I passing the class without the book. My answer was "History doesn't change".
Posted on: 2011/7/6 3:08

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
When I was in college one of my classes was American History. I didn't buy the book for this class. A classmate asked how was I passing the class without the book. My answer was "History doesn't change".

When I returned to a well known Indiana University to continue my education after the navy, I had a visiting French Prof. teaching a US History class. His take on American History was interesting. After explaining the French influence on World War Two he asked what else were the French known for? My reply the White Flag, mustard, woman not shaving their legs, driving on the wrong side of the road,perfumed French speaking Vietnamese whores in Siagon. I learned the French have no sense of humor, he drove a Renault Dalphine that would not start below 50 degrees, his wife was hot!!! (note she did shave her legs) she had a southern accent maybe from southern France. She liked to flirt. Thats another history lesson in itself. French Prof. called the US Bullies! better a Bully in the world than a Pussy! Or is it Pussay in French.
Posted on: 2011/7/6 3:30

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:

It does change. With everything thing that is revealed in time, history is bound to be effected.

Case in point, the Titanic.

Sure, we know it hit an ice burg. Fine, but history is forever in flux as we learn more about things.

In the case of the Titanic, we now know that the rivets were weak and popped, causing small dimples and leaks to appear, not some 300' long gash.

Events occurred, the politics behind the event is what we are constantly learning about.
Posted on: 2011/7/6 4:18

tjpreul Re: Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

tjpreul wrote:

It does change. With everything thing that is revealed in time, history is bound to be effected.

Case in point, the Titanic.

Sure, we know it hit an ice burg. Fine, but history is forever in flux as we learn more about things.

In the case of the Titanic, we now know that the rivets were weak and popped, causing small dimples and leaks to appear, not some 300' long gash.

Events occurred, the politics behind the event is what we are constantly learning about.

Yes, there are always new theories and information that is being learned. This does not change the events that happened.
Posted on: 2011/7/6 14:14

95Vert Re: Do Americans know the meaning of the Fourth of July?
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

History is an interesting concept as for the most part it is written by the victors. Ask the French their contribution to World War II. Ask an American...two different versions as are those of the Russians.

Historical events may also be buried if they are uncomfortable for the receiving audience...consider the Morgenthau plan after WWII in Germany. Or the conquest and extermination of the American Indian though I had some interesting discussions in a classroom setting with that group.

Consider why the Azerbaijani's hate the Armenians and why Armenians hate the Azeri and the Turks with equal venom to this day considering the events in question happened in the early 1900's. The spin doctors are still working overtime on this event, depending on where you live or your sympathies lie.

The Titanic I think is more of a technical factual experience as to the why it went down, not as to the fact that it did.

In any case, US students are woefully underprepared when it comes to World History and Geography. That is, because as it has already been stated, we are constantly pummeled by the 300 or so odd years of US history with nary a thought as to the rest of the world and its thousands of years of living never mind where some peoples live!
Posted on: 2011/7/6 18:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.