Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NCM
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bam excessive oil consuption
Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Since putting a hot cam, 1.6rrs, LT4 valve springs in my 93 LT1 it is using about a quart of oil every 100 miles. There is a puddle of oil on top of each closed valve. There is also oil running down the air foil on the throttle body. The whole inside of the intake is black and wet with oil. Also the last time I drove it oil started blowing out the oil pan where it meets the block. The whole back of the car underneath is coated with oil. It's leaking out the front of the pan and the back too. Also oil is dripping out of the exhaust. I am totally baffled, any thoughts?
Posted on: 2011/7/26 20:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: excessive oil consuption
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

PCV valve stuck? That would be my first thought.
Posted on: 2011/7/26 20:15

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

bam Re: excessive oil consuption
Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

I checked the PCV valve, it moves freely up and down, it seems to be ok, but I will replace it anyway.
Posted on: 2011/7/26 23:00

BrianCunningham Re: excessive oil consuption
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

you pull the heads or just the intake?
Posted on: 2011/7/26 23:12

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Just the intake. I am wondering with all that oil on top the valves that there must also be oil on top the pistons too which would be a very bad thing. With the LT1 small combustion chamber it could build up enough to bend a rod.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 2:19

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

you would need a lot of fluid to hydrolock the engine...

What happens if you disconnect the pcv line? I wonder if the hose is blocked?
Posted on: 2011/7/27 5:34

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Am on the road traveling now, will be home in a week +. I blew compressed air through the PCV line, not plugged. I am wondering if a broken ring would let that much oil to the top of the motor, is that even possible? Would a compression check tell me if an oil ring is broken?
Posted on: 2011/8/2 16:27

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Well, to put it into perspective, when Ford 302's and 351W wear out their rings, the intake gets full of oil.

Very common problem with those engines... somewhere north of 175k miles and more prone on pre-1990's engines.

So, yes, a bad ring is very possibly causing this. Excess combustion pressures blow into the crankcase and that's that.

I would do a leak down test to confirm.
Posted on: 2011/8/2 23:28

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Well I am back home and working on the motor. Now that I think of it when it was last running I disconnected the hose that runs from the TB to the passenger side valve cover and smoke was coming out, a lot of it. That shouldn't be, right? There should be enough vacuum thru the PCV to make it pull air and not blow smoke on that side right? I am going to buy a leak down tester and test the cyl. pressure leak down next week. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Posted on: 2011/8/16 22:10

JeffK Re: excessive oil consuption
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Sounds like it could be blowby. Hopefully it is something simpler than that. I ended up with a new shortblock when mine did that.
Doing the leakdown test should tell all though.
Posted on: 2011/8/16 23:46

rklessdriver Re: excessive oil consuption
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

With that much pressure comming out of the PCV hose something is bad wrong.

Collasped rings or a burned piston.

Leak down all 8 cyls and see what you get.
Will
Posted on: 2011/8/17 0:12

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

flyboy Re: excessive oil consuption
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

...but this oil problem started after the cam swap?
Posted on: 2011/8/17 0:16

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Yes it started after the cam swap, didn't burn any oil before that (1/4 qt. in a 3000mi oil change). When I was replacing the springs I used compressed air. Had read to use 20-30psi, but couldn't get the keepers free with that little air pressure. I ended up using 100psi and putting the tranny in gear then putting air in the cylinder at TDC. I forgot to put it in gear on one cyl, when I connected the air to the cyl. the piston obviously slammed to the bottom of the stroke, I could hear it bang. I am thinking I might of broke a piston or ring when that happened. I ordered a leak down tester from Amazon today, should be here in a week, hopefully that will tell me something.
Posted on: 2011/8/17 1:53

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
With that much pressure comming out of the PCV hose something is bad wrong.

Collasped rings or a burned piston.

Leak down all 8 cyls and see what you get.
Will

It's not coming out of the PCV hose, it's the other side of the engine (pass side) where the hose runs to the TB to get filtered air for the crank case, make sense?
Posted on: 2011/8/17 1:53

flyboy Re: excessive oil consuption
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

The compression stroke is more than 100 psi and I can't picture a piston "slamming" to the bottom of the stroke and breaking something from air pressure....
What could cause enough excess oil pressure to force oil through the pan gasket?
Posted on: 2011/8/17 3:16

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
The compression stroke is more than 100 psi and I can't picture a piston "slamming" to the bottom of the stroke and breaking something from air pressure....
What could cause enough excess oil pressure to force oil through the pan gasket?

My compressor is a commercial air compressor, the tank on it is huge, it could easily drive the piston to the bottom of the stoke and not register any less air pressure than 100 psi (the compressor cuts off at 120psi, I had the line pressure set at 100). But that said, I sure hope you are right.
As to the pan gasket leaking yesterday I was under the car and I can see the oil is leaking around the oil filter adapter where it meets the block. I took if off and the o ring is blown??!! Anyway that is where the oil came from, now I don't think the pan gasket is leaking. I ordered a new o ring seal for the filter adapter and hope to start it up in a week. Thanks guys for all the helpful comments.
Posted on: 2011/8/17 13:16

BillH Re: excessive oil consuption
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
Yes it started after the cam swap, didn't burn any oil before that (1/4 qt. in a 3000mi oil change). When I was replacing the springs I used compressed air. Had read to use 20-30psi, but couldn't get the keepers free with that little air pressure. I ended up using 100psi and putting the tranny in gear then putting air in the cylinder at TDC. I forgot to put it in gear on one cyl, when I connected the air to the cyl. the piston obviously slammed to the bottom of the stroke, I could hear it bang. I am thinking I might of broke a piston or ring when that happened.

No way. 100 psi is nothing compared to compression.

And 100 psi is what you use to do a leakdown unless you want to mess around with a conversion chart.

I've spun engines with that pressure at least 100 times doing leakdowns and missing TDC by a hair.
I can almost guarantee that you'll spin the motor a couple of times doing the leakdown especially since you have no timing mark to work with.
Posted on: 2011/8/17 13:26

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

bam wrote:
Yes it started after the cam swap, didn't burn any oil before that (1/4 qt. in a 3000mi oil change). When I was replacing the springs I used compressed air. Had read to use 20-30psi, but couldn't get the keepers free with that little air pressure. I ended up using 100psi and putting the tranny in gear then putting air in the cylinder at TDC. I forgot to put it in gear on one cyl, when I connected the air to the cyl. the piston obviously slammed to the bottom of the stroke, I could hear it bang. I am thinking I might of broke a piston or ring when that happened.

No way. 100 psi is nothing compared to compression.

And 100 psi is what you use to do a leakdown unless you want to mess around with a conversion chart.

I've spun engines with that pressure at least 100 times doing leakdowns and missing TDC by a hair.
I can almost guarantee that you'll spin the motor a couple of times doing the leakdown especially since you have no timing mark to work with.

Not to argue but the motor won't "spin" with compressed air introduced into the cylinder, it instead moves the piston from TDC to the bottom of the stroke and then stops, it is impossible for the piston to move after that, that is what I simply mean that the piston hit the bottom of the stroke with a "bang". When an engine is running the piston does not stop at the bottom of the stroke but keeps spinning on past. Still I hope you are right that no harm was done.
Also I have been thinking, I have a puddle of oil on each closed intake valve. Now it seems to me that oil must be leaking down the valve stem for that to happen, it could not get there any other way, am I right? May be it is the guides or seals? What valve seals are you all using with stock LT1 heads? I used felpro viton.
Posted on: 2011/8/17 19:55

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.