Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
176 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ALDC
Assembly Line Diagnostic Connection

The connection to the ECM/PCM of a computer controlled vehicle, in the case of the C4 Corvette, located under ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

djxib One car that Audi should sell in the US..
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Some of you know I'm in the UK on 'family business'. Probably coming back to the US in the next week or so.

Anyhow, while here I got a deal at Hertz, and a subsequent free upgrade put me into a black Audi A5 sportback (S-line) with a 3.0 Turbo Diesel motor. The motor has 204 HP at around 3500 and 333 Ft-lbs of Torque at a ridiculously low 1250 RPM.

This thing is a complete blast to drive, gets 45 mpg at 75mph (UK gallons, so I suppose closer to 38 US mpg), looks amazing. 0-60 around 7 seconds but feels quicker.

Room for 4 adults easily, huge trunk, great interior and drives really nice... easy to go fast in the twisties. They even sell a 4-wheel drive diesel version with an extra 60 ft-lbs of torque.

Real shame that Audi doesnt sell the A5 sportback nor diesel engines in the US.

I Want!!

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0267.jpg (567.19 KB)
1691_50a7610c53627.jpg 1599X1200 px
Posted on: 2012/11/17 10:07

1996 Greenwood Collectors Edition LT4

Previously 1992 Convertible Polo Green. 383 LT1/LT4 forged/balanced. V7-YSi, Alky. 608RWHP... Now sitting at a dismantler with a salvage title. Still runs...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: One car that Audi should sell in the US..
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

That's a really sharp car.

I want the Audi wagon in a diesel. It's available here but hard to find.

I agree I wish we had more choices. Mazda has a new wagon they are going to sell in Europe and Canada, but not the US. Darn it.
Posted on: 2012/11/17 12:42

TommyT-Bone Re: One car that Audi should sell in the US..
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm waiting till they make the AUDI INNY.
Posted on: 2012/11/17 14:02

Ultraman Re: One car that Audi should sell in the US..
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

What is the cost of fuel over there...? Europe has always wanted Diesel power in their cars unlike the U.S.
Posted on: 2012/11/17 14:17

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

pianoguy Re: One car that Audi should sell in the US..
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

That is a good-lookin' sedan. Very cool to get that as a rental - I always wind up with some kind of sh!tbox.
Posted on: 2012/11/17 15:19

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

TommyT-Bone Re: One car that Audi should sell in the US..
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
That is a good-lookin' sedan. Very cool to get that as a rental - I always wind up with some kind of sh!tbox.

You should try Hertz,Avis,Enterprise or one of the other big players. Rent A Junk doesn't usually have the best selection. They don't give AAA or AARP discounts either.
Posted on: 2012/11/17 15:46

bogus Re: One car that Audi should sell in the US..
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

There is good reason why Europe does diesel... Taxes. Diesel is more effiecent. It has more bang/buck than gas, and gets better economy per bang.

In the last few years, it's gotten even better... and that new 3.0 diesel from Audi is just amazing. Quiet as a church mouse.

The BMW I-6 diesels are incredible. And their old V8 was over the top!

The one problem we have here is that refinery capacity is maxed for the diesel. And the taste left in peoples collective mouths by GM 30 odd years ago... those were some shitty motors.
Posted on: 2012/11/17 15:59

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Ultraman Re: One car that Audi should sell in the US..
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
he one problem we have here is that refinery capacity is maxed for the diesel. And the taste left in peoples collective mouths by GM 30 odd years ago... those were some shitty motors.

Boy...no kidding...I owned an 81 Caprice with the diesel in it and still remember the $1200 discount they hung on me when I tried to trade it in. They said it was so they could put a gas engine in it so they could sell it....nice! Oh yeah...and the thing could barely get out of its own way.......it was a bad time for cars....and those who bought them....
Posted on: 2012/11/17 16:04

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

NelsonV Re: One car that Audi should sell in the US..
Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

Handsome car. I don't know much about Audis, but have always been fond of their looks.
Posted on: 2012/11/17 20:39

pianoguy Re: One car that Audi should sell in the US..
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

You should try Hertz,Avis,Enterprise or one of the other big players. Rent A Junk doesn't usually have the best selection. They don't give AAA or AARP discounts either.

Posted on: 2012/11/17 21:12

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
he one problem we have here is that refinery capacity is maxed for the diesel. And the taste left in peoples collective mouths by GM 30 odd years ago... those were some shitty motors.

Boy...no kidding...I owned an 81 Caprice with the diesel in it and still remember the $1200 discount they hung on me when I tried to trade it in. They said it was so they could put a gas engine in it so they could sell it....nice! Oh yeah...and the thing could barely get out of its own way.......it was a bad time for cars....and those who bought them....

The diesel V8 was even worse. GM simply converted a gas V8 to run on diesel. Ed Cole had to be turning over in his grave, the poor man... What a cluster of stupidity.

The block was not up to the task of dealing with the pressures from a 22:1 compression diesel. Core shift was redefined and the damned things started popping head gaskets. Once the first one let go, there was no fixing, as I understand it. The block needed to be decked and it would only flex again. They started popping at about 12k miles.

And yes, the only real fix was converting back to gas. I know a number of folks who did this... buy a good, low miles diesel car, and drop in the well worn gas drive train, then junk the worst of the 2... and you end up with one good car.

The fix was applied to the truck engines... and the diesel was ruined in America.

The funny thing, one of the best diesels ever sold in the states was the Chevette, with an Isuzu I-4. Sucked on performance, but got 50+ MPG. And was seriously stout.

FYI: The current GM Duramax is actually an Isuzu engine.

Posted on: 2012/11/17 21:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

NelsonV wrote:
Handsome car. I don't know much about Audis, but have always been fond of their looks.

Run. Run away. Run FAR away from an Audi... their electrical systems are always on the verge of meltdown.
Posted on: 2012/11/17 21:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.