Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
306 user(s) are online (263 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SuperRam Intake System
Originally designed by John Lingenfelter at LPE and manufactured by Accell, the SuperRam was the 1st aftermarket intake to improve upon the stock lon...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DaleD Back to the future C4 vs. C5
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I just watched my buddy dyno his 07 Mustang GT. Turns out the dyno is run by the Ohio branch of PCMForless. (Alvin is in NC). Anyway, it was a blast. The car puts down 306 to the rear wheels, my buddy has done some nice things to it.

So... I've gotten past some "events" and I'm getting itchy again. I look at cars for sale, and I admit to a fondness for the C4, since my first Vette was an 87. I focus on 95 and 96, and there are some nice ones, with prices that vary widely, but that's no shock.

The C5s have an even bigger range, but there are some decent deals. Especially the 97 and 98 models.

That brings me to the question I have. Which car is a better bang for the buck? I know they're quite different, and I know a C5 has much more in the way of bolt ons. But, a C4 has a look and charm to it. In Ohio:

95-96 around 50k miles prices around $12k
97-98 around 50k miles prices around $17k

One other option for me is to just hang on a little longer and get a newer C5, say 00-01.

What do you think?
Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:20

Ultraman Re: Back to the future C4 vs. C5
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14747 Posts

I think you should go for a C5 just to experience the difference the generation made on various levels...If you can hang on for an 01 or 02 they were making changes at those times...Heck for 17K you should be able to find an 02 with 50K miles on it now......I'm thinking.....good to see you back on the Guru....
Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:20

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: Back to the future C4 vs. C5
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Thanks. Are there problems with the 97-98 models?
Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:28

BillH Re: Back to the future C4 vs. C5
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Heck for 17K you should be able to find an 02 with 50K miles on it now......I'm thinking.......

Agreed, if you look hard enough.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sa ... 8761&listingIndex=5&Log=0
Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:29

BillH Re: Back to the future C4 vs. C5
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Thanks. Are there problems with the 97-98 models?

Nothing that stands out but there are improvements like better driveshaft couplers (starting in 01, I think),etc.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:32

pianoguy Re: Back to the future C4 vs. C5
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I've read about some piston slap issue with earlier LS1's - if I remember correctly they fixed it in '01 or '02. I don't think it is a serious problem, though.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:49

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Huskerland
14747 Posts

I'm thinking the piston slap is an LS1 built in. My 02 had it but I put 10-30 Mobil 1 in it instead of the 5-30 and I thought it helped. Steering wheel lock problems in the early ones but most everyone has upgraded to fix this...TBee is the Guru on that issue and other C5 stuff. Not a lot else wrong with them.....you can get a Z06 C5 for around 20K I have seen....
Posted on: 2013/5/30 16:52

bogus Re: Back to the future C4 vs. C5
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

First off Dale, great to see you back!

Secondly, don't make the same mistake twice... you crammed that 87 into fitting and it never did.

Have you driven a C5? They are quite different. On many levels, the much better car, on others, too sterile... But they are generally durable.

The major weaknesses:

* Steering wheel lock recalls
* Fuel pump recalls
* ABS/ASR issues (this is hit/miss, either it really sucks or there are no problems).

CARFAX is killer important.

Also, don't limit your distance. Shop all over the US. Autotrader is your friend, as is the rest of the Guru network.

You are likely to find a good deal here in LA, the land of millions of Vettes (or so it seems) and good weather. If you found a car here, I know of at least one person able to check it out. That and seasonal pricing isn't as dramatic, since this is a year round Vette area. Same with FL and most of the southeast and up into the mid-Atlantic.

Just avoid cars that have a history near Houston, TX, and any area near coastal flooding zones. Just because it got wet in a hurricane isn't bad, but getting flooded during tidal surge is bad. Houston gets these massive thunderstorms that dump 5" of rain in 2 hours, flooding out streets and such. Many cars get killed during these storms. Also, avoid older cars coming through Missouri and Alabama. Those states had a rep for being easy to clean titles in, but with better computer systems and CARFAX, they are easier to catch now. But the older data is still the older data. Pre-1995 gets real dicey, and I don't feel really good until 1999.

Our 1999 Suburban has a CARFAX that shows all maintenance and emissions tests from day one. It was so clean you could eat off of the damned report. As an aside, we are very happy with the barge. (oh, I was hit in our little Jeep last January, the Suburban was a massive upgrade, in more ways than one).

If it was me, I would be looking for an 03 50th car or an 04 LeMan's car. They might cost a couple thousand more than the norm, but they are unique and will always be a couple thousand more in value. Win-win.

I know you want a 6spd, get it, damn it.

I would stay clear of cars with adjustable suspensions and HUD... just expensive things to break, really.

Oh, and the Bose BLOWS!!!
Posted on: 2013/5/30 16:59

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Huskerland
14747 Posts

Up halfway thru the 03's the fuel pumps are not a big chore to change...not as easy as a C4 by any means but doable...the 04's if I recall are a beast with the fuel tank having to be taken out of the vehicle. I believe all C6's are the same way......there were some issues with the crossover tubes leaking on some models but not that common.

Getting in and out of a C5 or 6 is much easier for old guys like me.....
Posted on: 2013/5/30 18:22

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Up halfway thru the 03's the fuel pumps are not a big chore to change...not as easy as a C4 by any means but doable...the 04's if I recall are a beast with the fuel tank having to be taken out of the vehicle. I believe all C6's are the same way......there were some issues with the crossover tubes leaking on some models but not that common.

I'm actually very open minded about this, and not in a big hurry. Things have changed, I'm an old guy too, and I don't really want a 6 speed. My left knee is a bit creaky. I've owned an early C4, and driven both late C4s and C5s. The late C4s feel like an early C4 that went to finishing school. A bit more manners. The C5 is totally different. The C5 feels more like my Acura TL, until you step on it.

I saw a 97 that looked pretty good, for a fair price, so that's why I came here.

Early C4s are out. So, if I see a 95-96, or a C5 and it's the right car/mileage/price, I'll know.
Posted on: 2013/5/30 18:37

Huskerland
14747 Posts

Good luck in your search that's part of the fun for me. Keep us posted on what you come up with.....
Posted on: 2013/5/31 0:37

SpectatorRacing Re: Back to the future C4 vs. C5
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Man, I've watched C5's for years and if $17k is your budget you will get a gem. Seriously.

Standard 40-80k mile C5's sell all day (ebay is usually where I shop) for $12-14k. Z06's in the $17 - 20k range.

Good luck, there are a lot of them out there so choosing a color and options to your liking should be no problem if you're in no big rush.
Posted on: 2013/5/31 2:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

I'm actually very open minded about this, and not in a big hurry. Things have changed, I'm an old guy too, and I don't really want a 6 speed. My left knee is a bit creaky. I've owned an early C4, and driven both late C4s and C5s. The late C4s feel like an early C4 that went to finishing school. A bit more manners. The C5 is totally different. The C5 feels more like my Acura TL, until you step on it.

I saw a 97 that looked pretty good, for a fair price, so that's why I came here.

Early C4s are out. So, if I see a 95-96, or a C5 and it's the right car/mileage/price, I'll know.

Dale... dude... You are not that much older than me, if at all, so kill the "old man" act, I ain't buying it!

(and yes, I am closer to 50 than I care to admit)

The creaky knee and a clutch are not all that bad a mix. I have one of both and I find the clutch helps as therapy to keep the knee happier. I rarely have an issue, and when I do, it's not when I clutch.

Also, unless I am a klutz, I have yet to master getting in and out of a C5. NelsonV loaned me his C5 vert for a week last year, when my C4 was down for the count, and getting out struck me as harder. I normally swing out and use the sill as a starting point on the C4, no such booster on the C5!!

Also, the C5 and early C6 still use the 4L60E and they are not much improved from when they were in the C4.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 14:07

corvetteronw Re: Back to the future C4 vs. C5
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Try the Detroit area Craigslist. Not too far from you.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/3843215776.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/3838678206.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/3793048190.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ctd/3744442479.html
I know this one is a 6-speed and kinda tricked out but I LOVE it! Looks like a lot of car for the money and you might get it for less:
http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/3841386095.html
Resized Image
Posted on: 2013/6/2 2:25

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I love the Lingenfelter, but that's a bit out of my range.
Very nice car though.
Posted on: 2013/6/3 18:51

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

and you don't want to over power a C5 unless you want to get into the habit of buying trans and diff cases... rather crappy castings, really. Over power, race = boom. bad... very bad...
Posted on: 2013/6/3 22:57

Matatk Re: Back to the future C4 vs. C5
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Nice to see you back around, Dale. I'd be looking for a c5 zo6 if I were in the market. I am past modifying my cars. But if I had a modified one, it would be bought that way. I want a convertible, too. Lots of nice cars out there.

But make sure you buy the options that you want or else you'll never be happy with it. Don't settle.
Posted on: 2013/6/4 12:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.