Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH350
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.52
2nd Gear: 1.52
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1969 thru 1979.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DaleD Old Bose, worth anything?
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I finally got the new radio today. Wow, what a difference. And I think I got a good deal. A new Panisonic CQ-C700U head unit, and 4 new Pioneer speakers. They ran new wires for everything, $575 complete. I've used these guys before, they have a nice business.
Anyway, the reason for the post, I have a Bose system, head unit, 4 speakers. It worked, sort of, when I had it removed. One of the front speakers would cut in and out, and the back speakers would crackle sometimes. Have no clue if the tape works. This would be something that would require a rebuild. Is it worth anything?
Posted on: 2008/3/26 23:12

Livin_the_dream Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

At some point when more people want to obtain a NCRS award for the car . Its not very big hang on to it for a few years . I am hanging on to all that kind of stuff , but then again I sell at HErshey flea market and on e-bay when the mood strikes. If you want to get rid of it asap send me a PM
Kevin
Posted on: 2008/3/26 23:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Well, my car won't be an NCRS candidate. I've already replaced the wheels and got rid of the old ones. The exhaust was broken, so I put a new Magnaflow on it. I'll do more stuff, so it will be nice, but not a NCRS car. You're right, it's small, but I can't imagine needing it.
Posted on: 2008/3/26 23:23

jhammons01 Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

^^No no, not for your car, but for a person wanting to restore a car to stock form. THEY will want that radio and will pay for it.
Posted on: 2008/3/27 3:23

leftoverture Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Guru Newb
34 Posts

How about some pics of your dash with the new unit and a bit more info on the new install?
Posted on: 2008/3/27 9:45

ledheadred Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Guru Newb
11 Posts

dale, i literally pulverized mine with a 10-lb. sledgehammer the very next day after i bought my 1rst '90 (the stalker dud).

and there was nothing wrong with it, i just disrespect anything bose that is and ever was.
Posted on: 2008/3/27 12:12

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

leftoverture wrote:
How about some pics of your dash with the new unit and a bit more info on the new install?

Won't be until Friday I can do that. I will tell you, it's a nice unit, but not uber geek stuff. No navigation, no dvd, it doesn't brew coffee. They used a spacer that puts the single din unit in the middle of the 1 1/2 din openening. The spacer also pushes the face of the headunit forward so that it looks more natural where it is, as opposed to a flat spacer. I'm pleased, I'll get pics.
Posted on: 2008/3/27 12:58

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

ledheadred wrote:
dale, i literally pulverized mine with a 10-lb. sledgehammer the very next day after i bought my 1rst '90 (the stalker dud).

and there was nothing wrong with it, i just disrespect anything bose that is and ever was.

That was a midly expensive swing of the hammer, as I'm finding out. But, if it felt good, it's a win for you!
Posted on: 2008/3/27 13:00

xccter Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Senior Guru
Downtown Annapolis, MD
461 Posts

Who knows? If history is any indication, 30 years from now all that Bose stuff will be like Wonderbars are now. Don't throw anything out.
Posted on: 2008/3/27 13:02
NCRS #48337

pappyfreebird Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i happily pd 50 (shipped ) fer front n rear speakers amps n boxes n am happy wid the sound i now have n have a couple spares fer later on so 50s a 50 to sum
Posted on: 2008/3/27 13:55

Guru Newb
34 Posts

Quote:

ledheadred wrote:

Perhaps the Bose units in our C4s are not the best. . .but restorers will pay for them now and even more in the future. And. . .Bose is one of the finest manufacturers of acoustical products in the world. Their research is on the forefront of technology and I wouldn't be so quick to blow off everything they do just because the C4 unit wasn't to your liking, if that's what I'm getting out of your statement.
Posted on: 2008/3/27 17:30

j3studio Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

A little perspective: folks wouldn't buy a C4 without the Bose when it was new. Sure you can beat them now, but can you think of a new consumer electronic that can't blow away its 20 year old equivalent?
Posted on: 2008/3/27 17:42

CentralCoaster Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I wasn't able to find a buyer for mine so I threw it in the garbage, I think 2 of the amps needed some work. I've seen some of them sell for upwards of $100 though.
Posted on: 2008/3/27 17:50

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
Bose is one of the finest manufacturers of acoustical products in the world. Their research is on the forefront of technology and I wouldn't be so quick to blow off everything they do just because the C4 unit wasn't to your liking, if that's what I'm getting out of your statement.

Seems more like a "as seen on TV" gimmick brand to me. Some of the other brands practically sell themselves. When's the last time you saw an Onkyo advertisement?
Posted on: 2008/3/27 17:54

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

leftoverture wrote:

Here it is, a Panisonic CQ-C700U

Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:06

Livin_the_dream Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Looks nice
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:28

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

Livin_the_dream wrote:
Looks nice

Nothing remarkable, but pics were requested. So, I obliged.

The sound is awesome, went for a drive today, so much nicer with a good soundtrack.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:55

JeepCycle Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Guru Newb
Nesquehoning, PA...Pocono Mt.s
30 Posts

Ummm....actually, among true audiophiles...Bose is one of the most laughed at and despised makers of audio gear.

The best thing they ever made was the first three series of 901 speakers...they've been riding that ever since. Everything since has been pretty crappy...

Take the WAVE just for instance...that gem which they are charging about 700.00 too much for is based on technology that you could find in any movie theater...back in the 1930's.

Their systems of today are so lacking in true sound definition
that there is a saying....if you don't notice the highs and you can't hear the lows, your listening to something made by Bose...

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's quality.
Especially in audio...

JC
Posted on: 2008/3/31 6:39

Guru Newb
34 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:

Here it is, a Panisonic CQ-C700U

Looks nice. The installation appears clean and well done. Glad you are happy with the sound.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 10:00

CSS996 Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Funny....

I think the Bose system in my Vette is the best sounding car audio system I've ever had. I never had a mega expensive custom system, except for in my Toyota MR2, but I did not have any subs in that, so it did not sound all that great.

Anyway, I love the way the Bose sounds. I guess I will be really impressed if I ever change out the whole thing. And I will do that someday. I have a clicking sound coming from the CD player that I have not been able to remedy.

I also have two little Bose cubes and a sub for the home system. I think they sound great. I was going to save up and spend a bunch of money on a home audio speaker setup after I bought my new Yamaha AVR for the house. But again, I am more than happy with the POS Bose speakers I have.

I guess I just don't know what I'm missing.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 17:07

j3studio Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Nice to know that the Bose discussions don't change from forum to forum ...
Posted on: 2008/3/31 17:16

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
I guess I just don't know what I'm missing.

I don't have anything against Bose. I do think their arrangement on the C4 is unusual, (amps at the speakers).
I replaced mine because:
#1 - It was old and not working well.
#2 - It only had a tape player.
#3 - The cost of repair would have taken me more than 1/2 to a new system.

I replaced it, I'm happy. If my old system worked a little better and had a CD, I'd have left it. It's not like when I jump in my Corvette, my goal is a studio listening experience.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 18:01

CSS996 Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Yeah, I can certainly see the logic.

I would not bash anyone that upgraded their system. I would actually like to be able to see first hand what a couple hundred to about a grand would get a fella. Just to see if I could tell the difference.

A friend of mine has a '93 with a high dollar stereo in it. It is too confusing for me to work, so I have not put it through its paces, or listened to the kind of music I would want to hear. He plays this "club/dance" stuff, so I just look for the mute button, and call it good. I only drove it twice anyway....

But I would like to listen to some good 80's hair band stuff in a C4 with a nice setup. Just to see...
Posted on: 2008/3/31 18:36

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Well, if you happen to drive through Ohio, I'll let you have a listen.
The reason I chose the Panasonic is because it had 2 antenna wires. So, if I play a CD, the antenna stays down. It only raises the antenna for the radio.
The downside of the Panisonic is the buttons are kept to a minimum. So most of the config and operation is done by key sequence and reading the LCD display. Without the remote, it's a pain in the arse. You need a remote for a car radio in a Corvette... go figrue.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 18:45

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Every stereo now has a seperate antenna wire and amp input wire, so the antenna up on CD use isn't an issue.

I should scan and post the info on the Bose in my vette specs book. It sure makes it look hi-tech on paper at least.

Factory car audio systems have come a long way, but they're as complex as ever. I feel sorry for the kid that tries doing a changeout on one of these 9 speaker volkswagens in 10 years from now.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 0:26

Guru Newb
34 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Factory car audio systems have come a long way, but they're as complex as ever. I feel sorry for the kid that tries doing a changeout on one of these 9 speaker volkswagens in 10 years from now.

Actually, I feel sorry for the kid who goes to Best Buy or whatever, spends $500.00, and thinks he's upgraded the factory unit in his late model VW. Factory systems have come a long, long way and it takes a fair amount of cash and know how to improve on them.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 1:41
Edited by leftoverture on 2008/4/4 13:06:49

boomguy Re: Old Bose, worth anything?
Guru Newb
Tacoma, WA
9 Posts

I'm really torn trying to decide what to do with mine.

I paid about $400 to have the headunit completely reconditioned last year. I put four new amps on the speakers and reassembled the whole thing. I am really not that pleased with it.

I am a big music buff, but less of an audiofile. I am tempted to pull the whole thing and put in an aftermarket unit but I really like the stock look of the original. For no particular reason I have a really negative opinion of aftermarket stereo equipment. I work in the insurance industry and it amazes me the number of cars I see that had perfectly good stereos in them and they were replaced with some $90 CD player. It seems like it is a badge of shame of the "kids" today to have an OE sound system. If you are upgrading to a new media (cassette to CD or something similar) I guess I don't have an issue, but swapping an OE CD player for an A/M CD player just hits a mental block with me. Oh well, guess I'm just old fashioned.
Posted on: 2008/4/3 20:14

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.