Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
307 user(s) are online (271 user(s) are browsing Forums)

vetteblondie, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vette
Shorthand notation for Corvette. See also vert and vertte. Usually preceeded by a "'", as in 'vette....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CentralCoaster Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I was trying to stretch my mileage a bit, and my '85 started sputtering with "18 miles" left on the guage. I sawed at the wheel a bit to get fuel to the little cup under the pump pickup, after that quit working, I tried the Dale Jr. technique of speeding up, coasting, speeding up again under power, coasting...

Then I saw a tow truck stopped on the shoulder, driver was putting the caps on some gas cans getting ready to leave. I stopped behind him (car still running) and tried to bribe some gas off him. He said he works for the Highway Patrol, said he doesn't charge for his gas, but he's not allowed to give me any either. I said, "just take this $40 and I'll pour a little in there to get me to the next exit" He wouldn't budge.

Thanks buddy! I might have even been able to nurse it to the next exit had I not stopped and wasted time trying to get some GAS THAT HE HAD RIGHT THERE IN THE FRICKIN CAN THAT I DESPERATELY NEEDED AND WANTED TO PAY DEARLY FOR RATHER THAN SIT IN THE 100F DEGREE SUN BAKING INSIDE MY BLACK PLASTIC CAR FOR AN HOUR WHILE WAITING FOR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE. He couldn't tow me either because it wasn't a flatbed.

At least with my old fuel pump the car would sputter for a few miles, so there was plenty of time to find a gas station. I hitched a ride home and put a gallon of my lawnmower fuel in there. Let's see how much it takes at the pump now, I bet that fugger still has 2 gallons in there that it won't use.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 21:05

CSS996 Re: Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Ass!

Seems like the dude would just have been doing his job if he helped you out...
Posted on: 2008/6/19 21:12

Notorious Re: Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

So your entire state's law enforcement "sucks" because of this one guy who apparently was just following rules? For all this poor guy knew, you could have just been someone checking up on him to ensure he was doing his job properly.
Except for when I was a punk kid asking for trouble, I've always found law enforcement in general to be very helpful. Some years ago, I ran out of gas here in NC. An attractive redheaded officer of the female persuasion not only stopped to help, but took me to a store to buy a gas can, then to a gas station and back to my car. Perhaps she sensed my gratitude towards law enforcement in general. Or else she was just warm for my form..... I've always regretted not asking her for her phone number.
Posted on: 2008/6/20 1:12

TommyT-Bone Re: Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I was trying to stretch my mileage a bit, and my '85 started sputtering with "18 miles" left on the guage. I tried the Dale Jr. technique of speeding up, coasting, speeding up again under power, coasting...

I guess that's why they call you CentralCoaster
Posted on: 2008/6/20 1:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

runner140 Re: Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

In TommyT-Bone's home state, on major roads, "road rangers" patrol cars on the side of the road and do what it takes to get those cars off the side of the road.

This includes minor repairs, out of gas, flat tires etc. and the price is right (free).
Posted on: 2008/6/20 11:44

CentralCoaster Re: Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well shit if I lived there and didn't have anywhere to be in a hurry I'd just drive till it was dry and wait.

Another time my fuel pump went out on a sunday evening in a somewhat desolate area and a CHP stopped. Ignored all my questions about how far the closest gas/parts was, didn't ask if I had a tow on the way, didn't offer a lick of help (not that I expected any), but a shred of concern for my welfare wouldve been nice. Instead he ran the tags and checked me and my friends licenses in the computer, questioned us, then slapped a sticker on the car and said "if its not out of here in 72 hours it'll be impounded. Have a good day. "

All cops have ever done for me is give me driving awards for speeding.
Posted on: 2008/6/20 15:05

pappyfreebird Re: Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

now ya see why tis i still run fum them fuggars!!!wahahahahaha they ain nevo helped..theys jus aways grabbin at my crotch fer sum dayum reason!!!!
Posted on: 2008/6/20 17:25

bogus Re: Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

ugh.
Posted on: 2008/6/21 17:46

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

FLYINLOW90 Re: Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

My one and only encounter with the CHP was in Auburn just outside Sacremento on my way to Pittsburg Ca.

He writes me for 74 in a commercial vehicle. I told him "62 maybe 63 but no way 74 as the truck is governed at 65"

He says "I writin' ya for 74 driver"

Took it to court and beat it!!!!

And this was the only ticket I ever fought 'cause I wasn't going that fast.

I feel your pain CC. CHP just out there makin' money for the state IMO.
Posted on: 2008/6/24 18:54

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Every time I've been pulled over, I deserved it. If I am courteous, I am treated well. I made the mistake of getting a little attitude with an officer once when I was 21. That did not go as well. Nothing major, but I sure did not get a warning that time...

I've had CO State Patrol pull over and help me change a tire, and recently got a verbal warning on a 22mph over (67 in a 45). I was shocked when he told me how fast I was going. I think it showed. Anyway, I apologized, and all was well. I SO deserved a ticket for that one...

Sux to hear about the bad ones, but there's a hundred, if not a thousand good ones for each of those.
Posted on: 2008/6/24 19:05

CentralCoaster Re: Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

They're probably afraid of getting sued for helping out.

In CA if the officer helped a lady install a spare tire, she'd sue the state 5 years later if it fell off.
Posted on: 2008/6/24 19:10

red_johnny Re: Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

WOW thats nuts...I usually get to talk my way out of a ticket...this last time I got zapped at 76 when I was doing about 65...the car behind me was going faster than me so maybe he zapped him and thought he got me, either way he wrote me up and I took it to the court house and the ticket disappeared
Posted on: 2008/6/24 20:27

Shadow Re: Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
Senior Guru
271 Posts

Sorry brother, but in this case I have to side with the tow truck driver.

If that's thier regs, then it's thier regs. YOu could have been an internal affairs type as one mentioned, checking up on him.

He could have offered you a ride or called someone for you and waited with you on the side of the road.

Our Road Rangers do a hell of a job here in Florida and some have paid a steep price for doing so

In all my years as a LEO, I've never failed to at least try to assist a motorist when they needed help.

I've only been to Kali-Fornia once and only had one occasion to interact with the CHP, but I found they guy quite personable and helpful.

Sorry you've had so many problems with them bro
Posted on: 2008/6/25 0:15

The CF Artist fka: STREETKNIGHT..R.I.P.

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

www.CorvetteInternational.com

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Shadow wrote:
If that's thier regs, then it's thier regs.

And that's precisely why I said the CHP sucks! Because a very simple action like that is against their regs. Obviously he was just "doing his job" and he was polite about it, so I can't fault him personally.
Posted on: 2008/6/25 0:18

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

BTW after putting 1 gallon in from my lawnmower can, the car took 18 gallons at the station.

That means I still had 1 gallon in the tank that the pump couldn't get to.

What good is a 20 gallon capacity if you can only use 18-19?
Posted on: 2008/6/25 0:23

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Double-Secret Reserve?
Posted on: 2008/6/25 1:04

TommyT-Bone Re: Running out of gas and another reason the Highway Patrol sucks!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
BTW after putting 1 gallon in from my lawnmower can, the car took 18 gallons at the station.

That means I still had 1 gallon in the tank that the pump couldn't get to.

What good is a 20 gallon capacity if you can only use 18-19?

Well now you know.....

No means no

And E means E
Posted on: 2008/6/25 2:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.