Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
311 user(s) are online (238 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C3
Abbreviation for the 3rd generation of Corvettes built from 1968-1982....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BigT EGR PROBLEM
Guru Newb
Ontario, Canada
23 Posts

Hello all,

Following Casey's advice, I sent away for the Datamaster. I got it from TTS Power Sytems through Andrew Mattei at AKM Electronics which went very smoothly. Thanks, Casey.

All I have to do now is figure out what the heck I am looking at.

One question right up front is that I got an Error Code 32, related to the EGR system. I looked that up in the Service Manual and trouble shooting it involves an array of tests using a scanner and vacuum guage, neither of which I have. I am at a bit of a loss knowing where to start.

The car is running fine and I don't think I would have known about this except for running the Datamaster. I guess I could remove the plenum and start replacing parts.

Do any of you learned gentlemen have any suggestions for the novice? If I have posted this in the wrong area, please forgive me and let me know where it should go.

Thanks,
BigT
Posted on: 2008/8/6 12:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

runner140 Re: EGR PROBLEM
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

I had a simular problem several years ago. Got that dreaded
code, on my 96'(OBD11). I cleared the code several times and it kept comming back. Purchased a EGR valve from Summit Racing for $49.95 and the problem was resolved.
Posted on: 2008/8/6 13:09

DaleD Re: EGR PROBLEM
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Funny thing, I was taking my car to a dealer yesterday and the SES came on. The dealer is about 35 miles from me, I went 30 miles before it came on. Car ran good, but didn't want to drive into the dealer with it on.
Came home... code 32!
I can't help you much on diagnosing, but I can tell you that it's not a big problem. I was running the car a little hard, some ricers were annoying me. So, when the car runs hard like that, it will call for the egr to open to cool the combustion. Some people block off the egr when doing an intake mod on L98s. You can run without the egr, I don't think it's a big deal.
I've replaced the egr temp sensor, now I'm going to fix this.
Always something with these cars.
Posted on: 2008/8/6 14:21

CentralCoaster Re: EGR PROBLEM
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Pop the hood and look at the underside of the drivers side of the throttle body. Is the vacuum line there disconnected?

I think 32 means the EGR temp switch isn't being tripped, so it thinks the EGR isn't opening and allowing hot exhaust through it. A bad connection at the temp switch or a failed EGR diaphram or lack of vaccum to the EGR should all cause it. I don't have my book on me to verify.

Low backpressure can also throw a code, the EGR requires backpressure to bleed off its vacuum otherwise it will never close during idle.
Posted on: 2008/8/6 17:43

BigT Re: EGR PROBLEM
Guru Newb
Ontario, Canada
23 Posts

Thanks, Master. Am I correct that the plenum has to come off to replace the EGR valve? If so, how big a deal is it to take it off. I guess there will be gaskets to replace as well.
Posted on: 2008/8/7 19:29

Guru Newb
Ontario, Canada
23 Posts

I am having a similar problem. The Service Engine Soon light will come on after a long period of time running at cruising speed, and then go off when the car is stopped and started again. It is running fine and I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't hooked up the Datamaster. I'm hoping I can run it like this and address this in the winter.
Posted on: 2008/8/7 19:31

Guru Newb
Ontario, Canada
23 Posts

And, by the way, thanks, Senior
Posted on: 2008/8/7 19:33

Guru Newb
Ontario, Canada
23 Posts

Thanks, Moderator, I will try those suggestions and let you know how I make out.
Posted on: 2008/8/7 19:34

Subman Re: EGR PROBLEM
Guru Newb
WHITTIER, CA
35 Posts

I fought code 32 on my 91 L98 for over a year. I checked the valve, had a member send me a solinoid (since no one makes them anymore), ECM vacuum lines, electrical, and finally discovered the problem by accident (isn't that how it usually goes)
The heat tube from exhaust to intake manifold gasket at the manifold had blown out the side. When the valve opened, it was sucking to much "fresh" air and tripped the sensors . . "check engine" light. Replaced the gasket and no more code 32.
That's not to say it the challenge your having, but $3.00 worth of gaskets and 15 minutes isn't throwing money at it, (consider it a maintainence thing) and it just might work!

Good Luck
Subman
Posted on: 2008/8/19 11:51

rg86vet Re: EGR PROBLEM
Guru Newb
15 Posts

got the same code 32. i would drive for about 40 miles at 70 mph and the ses light would come on.i replaced the egr switch
a 22.00 part but was a pain in the rear hooking it to the connector behind the distributor. no more ses light for me
Posted on: 2008/8/19 12:53

Schrade Re: EGR PROBLEM
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

Subman wrote: When the valve opened, it was sucking to much "fresh" air and tripped the sensors . . "check engine" light. Replaced the gasket and no more code 32.

YUP.

Vacuum leaks will cause a false 32 code.

Brick on pedal, block TB arm, anything to get a steady idle. Spray starting fluid little by little everywhere around the intake, evap cannisted, brake booster, cruise vacuum reservoir, everywhere. Get an rpm surge you got leak.

If the only leak is in the EGR vacuum route, you have to do the vacuum pump test, or activate the EGR / evap cannister purge (same thing on TPI), and then spray again on that line.

Don't buy parts blindly.
Posted on: 2008/8/19 15:41

MK 82 Re: EGR PROBLEM
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Program it out.
Posted on: 2008/8/19 15:48

JonnyAngle Re: EGR PROBLEM
Senior Guru
Minneapolis, MN
151 Posts

Since you have a datamaster, you can disregard this. But there is the paperclip method of detecting SES light codes on the ALDL port.
Posted on: 2008/8/19 16:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.