Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  National Corvette Museum
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid So I have gone thru 3 batteries in the past two days and 6 in the last 3 years
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I bought my red top optima in 2005. It has been replaced four times up until 2 days ago when it died again. We got another one under warranty which makes # 6. The cars battery died again today after driving five minutes and then turning the car off and then turning it back on. It was not running right(lights flicked radio cut off). All the batteries have been checked when we took them backa nd proven to be bad. Let me clarify this:

RED TOP OPTIMA BATTERIES ARE JUNK!

We are going to get ANOTHER ONE tomorrow. It's either the battery or the alternator killing the battery. No it's not being drained either. Going to have alternator tested to but it's only 2 years old and it's AC delco. I believe it's the optimas. They used to be good but now they are bad!

Thoughts???
Posted on: 2008/8/22 13:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious Re: So I have gone thru 3 batteries in the past two days and 6 in the last 3 years
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I've always thought that Optimas were an over-priced piece of shit. But still, this many failures would make me think it's not the battery. Where are you getting these batteries and who's testing them and how?
Posted on: 2008/8/22 13:33

Matatk Re: So I have gone thru 3 batteries in the past two days and 6 in the last 3 years
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

I'd say that's excessive. I'd be looking at other potential issues such as alternator (voltage regulator) or battery drains.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/8/22 13:54

red_johnny Re: So I have gone thru 3 batteries in the past two days and 6 in the last 3 years
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Sounds like the battery is either draining or not getting a charge. Possible bad ground? Definately check the alturnator, that might be the bad part. I had a new one put in once and it drove fine for 2 days and all the sudden it went screwy, dash lights went nuts and it would not start. Battery was fine but the alt was trashed.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 15:24

Raidmagic Re: So I have gone thru 3 batteries in the past two days and 6 in the last 3 years
Guru Newb
Florida
168 Posts

I've had a red top for 3 years now with no issues at all. I wouldn't think the battery is your problem.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 15:47

NC Kid Re: So I have gone thru 3 batteries in the past two days and 6 in the last 3 years
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Bought it from, get it tested at, and get it replaced all at Autozone. They use some electronic computer that they hook up to it.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 17:03

bogus Re: So I have gone thru 3 batteries in the past two days and 6 in the last 3 years
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the something is frying the battery.

either you have a dead short in the charging system or the alternator is toast.

pull the alternator and have it tested.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 17:53

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

red_johnny Re: So I have gone thru 3 batteries in the past two days and 6 in the last 3 years
On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
the something is frying the battery.

either you have a dead short in the charging system or the alternator is toast.

pull the alternator and have it tested.
I agree, that the battery is NOT the problem. Its a gel cell and is the best you can buy aside from the yellow tops. I had a yellow top for 4 years and I abused the hell outta it and it finally died but I did have 2 750 amps hooked up to it so constant charging and draining.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 20:28

NC Kid Re: So I have gone thru 3 batteries in the past two days and 6 in the last 3 years
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Ok. Lets say the alternator is shot now. What about all the other times. Just coicidence that they were bad batches?

The thing that is confusing me is this. The starts and runs. It's when you cut it offf and come back to restart it say a few minutes later. Does that sound like a alternator problem? So far, the car has NOT cut off during driving. Just flickering....the radio did shut off though.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 20:35

MK 82 Re: So I have gone thru 3 batteries in the past two days and 6 in the last 3 years
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome is one definition of insanity.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 23:51

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:
Ok. Lets say the alternator is shot now. What about all the other times. Just coicidence that they were bad batches?

The thing that is confusing me is this. The starts and runs. It's when you cut it offf and come back to restart it say a few minutes later. Does that sound like a alternator problem? So far, the car has NOT cut off during driving. Just flickering....the radio did shut off though.
It is NOT the battery then....there is another factor that is affecting it. Probablly a hot wire grounding out.
Posted on: 2008/8/23 0:44

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Alternator is shot. AC Delco new. Ugh...no warranty. Cant get one until Monday from NAPA. Advanced can't get them period or so says the dumbass behind the counter who couldn't even type our phone # in right. GOOD JOB STUPID! Oh gee, is't it coincidental we bought THIS alternator FROM advanced 2 years ago. You just can't buy anything worth a darn these days. Even US parts are going downhill(Yes it was made in the USA!). Thanks for the help guys. Again, I was wrong blaming the battery. I appologize for putting down the Optima. I just didn't think the alternator could be bad but my mistake. Again, thanks everyone.
Posted on: 2008/8/23 17:16

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

One lesson I learned from forums is take advise with a grain of salt. Sometimes its helpful and you have to swallow the pride and listen and sometimes its crap and you got to toss that stank out the window.
Posted on: 2008/8/23 22:01

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Yup. It's hard to decipher the truth and BS. Most guys here are truthful and accurate. Oh well, off to Napas warehouse tomorrow to pick one up. It's rebuilt with a 3 year warranty. I hope it will last awhile....like atleast 2 years...
Posted on: 2008/8/23 22:34

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Sounds good and congrats on your 1000 post!
Posted on: 2008/8/24 0:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.