Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
299 user(s) are online (243 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  1983
The year with no Corvette production. There is only one surviving 1983 Corvette. The one 1983 Corvette is in the National Corvette Museum, (NCM), in ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Upgrade my headlights
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I found two Hella light bulbs for a good deal. They can have replaceable bulbs. I found bulbs to go along with them. They are 90 watt low beam and 100 watt high beam. Do you think that is alot better than stock or just semi? Don't know what the stock output is but it sucks!
Posted on: 2008/9/16 3:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Upgrade my headlights
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have the Hella conversion. I highly recommend it.
Posted on: 2008/9/16 3:07

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Qack Re: Upgrade my headlights
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I have the Hella conversion. I highly recommend it.

Are you running the 100 watt high beam bulb? I'd worry about that as the wires are sized for 55 watt high beam. I see melted wires in your future.

I do have the lightweight plastic headlights on my car -- and I highly recommend them as well.
Posted on: 2008/9/16 12:06

vette079 Re: Upgrade my headlights
Guru Newb
svenljunga
15 Posts

Cool, I just checked mine because I was surprised about the brightness of mine in my 91.
Mine are the replaceable low/high rated 55/100.
I live in Sweden and drive it daily, had it since 2005 and haven´t had any problems with mine.
I don´t see any signs on the wiring indicating they get to hot.
OTOH I don´t use them more than 5 min. tops before I can switch to low due to upcoming traffic.
Mine was moved to Sweden in 1995 or so.
The previous owner could have changed them to European style, if they did and changed out the wiring, then they did a damn good job since it doesn´t show anywhere.
Especially here in Sweden there aren´t many that know how to do vette´s correctly.

100/55 aren´t allowed for street use here in Sweden or for that matter in Europe, but I take my chances.

60/55 is for standard but up to 130/90 is available.

But low beams at 90 watts might be a little bit to much of the cake.
Posted on: 2008/9/16 19:06

NC Kid Re: Upgrade my headlights
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

No it's a single bulb. Low beam is 90 watts and the high beam is 100 watts. How can that be bad? People upgrade to HID lights...I would have thought it could handle the 90 watt. With 90 I won't ever need to use my high beams.
Posted on: 2008/9/16 19:45

CentralCoaster Re: Upgrade my headlights
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Qack wrote:
Are you running the 100 watt high beam bulb? I'd worry about that as the wires are sized for 55 watt high beam. I see melted wires in your future.

Don't look at the wiring, look at the fuse. The fuse is the weakest link in the system. 100watt bulbs can draw 8 amps each. What else is on that circuit? And what is the fuse rated for? You need a little margin for error as well, or you'll be blowing fuses on a regular basis. It would REALLY suck to blow your headlight fuse, especially on the highway at 80mph.
Posted on: 2008/9/16 20:16

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:
No it's a single bulb. Low beam is 90 watts and the high beam is 100 watts. How can that be bad? People upgrade to HID lights...I would have thought it could handle the 90 watt. With 90 I won't ever need to use my high beams.

HIDs can put out more light but use less power. Entirely different technology than halogen bulbs. HID without a projector lens is not always a good idea, unless you like every car coming at you to flash their brights. I've also been pulled over for driving past a cop with my brights on (the indicator light wasn't working). He thought I was drunk, and nearly gave me a sobriety test.
Posted on: 2008/9/16 20:17

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I upgraded my fogs and bumped up the fuse without a problem. Dunno whats on the headlight circut though. probably just headlights....
Posted on: 2008/9/16 21:28

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The fuse is the weakest link in the circuit on purpose.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say the wiring can handle 18 amps, the fuse is 15 amps, and the lights draw 11 amps.

If you put 19 amps worth of lighting on that circuit, it'll blow the fuse. So you get wise and put a 20A fuse in. Now you've made your wiring the weakest link in the system, not the fuse. Turning your lights on is going to melt the circuit wiring and potentially set the car on fire.

It's hypothetical, in reality the fuses have more margin of safety than that. But I'm trying to show why you should never ever upsize a fuse. GM sized the fuses to protect the wiring harness. Too large a fuse defeats the purpose of the fuse entirely.
Posted on: 2008/9/16 23:23

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I got the tech tip foglight upgrade from CFs little tip section. The member did the calculations and it all added up. Others have odne it with no problems and I have had it for a little over a year and it's fine. Just gotta figure out what the amps is to the headlights and see from there.....
Posted on: 2008/9/17 0:45

Schrade Re: Upgrade my headlights
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

NC Kid wrote:

HIDs can put out more light but use less power. Entirely different technology than halogen bulbs. HID without a projector lens is not always a good idea, unless you like every car coming at you to flash their brights. I've also been pulled over for driving past a cop with my brights on (the indicator light wasn't working). He thought I was drunk, and nearly gave me a sobriety test.

How'd ya' get off? (cause we KNOW ya' were tanked)
Posted on: 2008/9/17 3:29

Resized Image

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

When I got home I looked in the mirror and realized I had dust and dirt on my hair and face still. Probably part of his reasoning, he thought I woke up and crawled out of an alley somewhere.

I was getting off work at midnight, was doing some cleanup on that shift on campus working in some filthy mechanical rooms.
Posted on: 2008/9/17 4:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.