Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
242 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Bowling Green
Bowling Green, KY, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant since 1981. From 1954-1981, Corvettes were assembled in St Louis, MO.

The Natio...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jsup So...anyway.....some things I've learned.
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

So, it's really hard to find anyone to tune one of these cars. Blowerworks is local, and I went to Greg to talk about fixing my base tune.

This guy is good, really good. He custom built a simulator to replicate the motor running to test and adjust chip tuning. Basically you can set the simulator as if the motor was running at, say 3324 RPMs, just turn a dial. You can take it in and out of closed loop, you can slam the pedal down to TPS 100%. All that from the simulator.

Here's the custom made tuning apparatus, I am fairly confident that none like this exists in the world:

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/20516132/335357668.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/20516132/335357795.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/20516132/335358224.jpg[/IMG]

This console can replicate ANY engine condition. There's switches and knobs all over for every sensor on the car, temp, TPS, O2, Etc....pretty fkn amazing.

He also hooks injectors up to test the entire system:

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/20516132/335358229.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/20516132/335357666.jpg[/IMG]

The system includes different fuel pumps and regulators to simulate many different conditions.

Greg said I'd need a high volume fuel pump to keep up with the injectors. So I put one in... Easy job.

What I find amazing is that he is a F.A.S.T dealer. He says that the STOCK 90 COMPUTER in my car is superior in every way to the F.A.S.T systems. Now, don't jump all over me because I'm still learning, however, according to Greg, you can better tweak across the entire RPM range with the stock computer as long as you use the PULSE WIDTH HACK. Supposedly, he paid someone to write the hack for him

The F.A.S.T system he says is good for single purpose vehicles, but for a street car, nothing better than a stock computer. There's more tables, information in the stock computer and it helps manage the systems better. Again, I'm learning, I'll get details as I understand them. However, suffice it to say, that he believes the stock system is superior in every way. Can you possibly imagine the hell I'd pay if I said that on some other forums? That's blasphemy in some places. It's not just F.A.S.T btw, it's Accel and ALL aftermarket ECUs. None of which, according to Greg, have the ability to tweak like the factory ECU.

Anyway, I digress, I took the car out to a local show today, the sound certainly turned heads, lots of thumbs up and stares as I rolled in. Greg's initial tune bought the water temp down by about 40 degrees, the best I can tell, and repaired the off the line stumble I was experiencing. I am going to his shop tomorrow, on Sunday, and we're going to do more tweaking. More info to follow

So what I am learning about tuning is that it's not rocket science, but it's not easy either.. I'm starting to understand how each build requires a custom tune and finding the correct numbers for VE is the hard part. I now understand what pulse width means, and how the factory cap can cost BIG horsepower on a larger engine. In its current form, I'd be limited to 470HP on paper without the pulse width removed limitation removed. Dam, just so much crap to learn my head is spinning.

Sorry about the blurry pics, it was taken with my phone.
Posted on: 2008/9/21 3:03

anesthes Re: So...anyway.....some things I've learned.
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
So, it's really hard to find anyone to tune one of these cars. Blowerworks is local, and I went to Greg to talk about fixing my base tune.

This guy is good, really good. He custom built a simulator to replicate the motor running to test and adjust chip tuning. Basically you can set the simulator as if the motor was running at, say 3324 RPMs, just turn a dial. You can take it in and out of closed loop, you can slam the pedal down to TPS 100%. All that from the simulator.

Here's the custom made tuning apparatus, I am fairly confident that none like this exists in the world:

Actually a few thousand exist in the world. For a while a guy on TGO was selling them.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy ... m-test-bench-circuit.html

Marks: (guy who writes Tunerpro)

http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/images/TestBench.jpg

Gregg's looks sorta like Bruce Plecans old one. The newer ones are more compact, purpose built boards rather than breadboards and soldered wires.

I had one for a while but found it rather useless for anything other than testing what custom code would do, and the only thing I was ever really modifying code-wise was the $60 2-bar stuff. I find my ostrich much more valuable.

Quote:

jsup wrote:

What I find amazing is that he is a F.A.S.T dealer. He says that the STOCK 90 COMPUTER in my car is superior in every way to the F.A.S.T systems.

I can agree with that. For the most part.

Quote:

jsup wrote:

Now, don't jump all over me because I'm still learning, however, according to Greg, you can better tweak across the entire RPM range with the stock computer as long as you use the PULSE WIDTH HACK. Supposedly, he paid someone to write the hack for him

haha.

Greg is a good tuner. But he isn't a coder.

Guys on TGO wrote the hack years ago. Ludis if I recall, is the first person who dissassembled and documented the $8D code.

Mike Davis then wrote a lot of the wideband stuff for $8D.

I can provide data to back all my statements.

Quote:

jsup wrote:

The F.A.S.T system he says is good for single purpose vehicles, but for a street car, nothing better than a stock computer.

I agree 100%..

Quote:

jsup wrote:

Can you possibly imagine the hell I'd pay if I said that on some other forums? That's blasphemy in some places,

Most guys don't have a clue how this stuff works.

Quote:

jsup wrote:

Anyway, I digress, I took the car out to a local show today, the sound certainly turned heads, lots of thumbs up and stares as I rolled in. Greg's initial tune bought the water temp down by about 40 degrees, the best I can tell, and repaired the off the line stumble I was experiencing. I am going to his shop tomorrow, on Sunday, and we're going to do more tweaking. More info to follow

Sorry about the blurry pics, it was taken with my phone.

Sounds good.

Question: How is the car from initial start? Can you just fire it up and go or do you have to wait for it to warm up?

Did Greg rescale your MAT counts table for the relocated MAT/IAT sensor?

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/21 3:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jsup Re: So...anyway.....some things I've learned.
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:

Actually a few thousand exist in the world. For a while a guy on TGO was selling them.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy ... m-test-bench-circuit.html

Gregg's looks sorta like Bruce Plecans old one.

I had one for a while but found it rather useless for anything other than testing what custom code would do, and the only thing I was ever really modifying code-wise was the $60 2-bar stuff.

ok, perhaps it's just really cool to me because I've never seen it. He has the stock ECU attached to it, then to an Ostrich, then to a PC. Just pretty cool..

Quote:

I can agree with that. For the most part.

Cool. Thanks for the validation.

Quote:

haha.

Greg is a good tuner. But he isn't a coder.

Guys on TGO wrote the hack years ago. Ludis if I recall, is the first person who dissassembled and documented the $8D code.

Mike Davis then wrote a lot of the wideband stuff for $8D.

I can provide data to back all my statements.

Again, this is all new to me, so I'm probably more impressed than I should be. He said he paid a hacker to break the codes. IDK, don't think he's lying...
Quote:

Most guys don't have a clue how this stuff works.

Never stopped them before......have you seen the brochures from FAST? C'mon it's great stuff...

Quote:

Sounds good.

Question: How is the car from initial start? Can you just fire it up and go or do you have to wait for it to warm up?

Did Greg rescale your MAT counts table for the relocated MAT/IAT sensor?

-- Joe

I can get it fire it up and go. The problem I'm having is that the power band has flat spots and backfires when I get into it from a roll from time to time.

This tune is better in some ways than the initial, but not as good as others.

We're working on it, I'll be there tomorrow to see what we can figure out. He did a base tune, told me to set the timing to 10* and FP to 45. Put in the chip and see what happens, so, I did.

I may leave the car with him a couple days so he can do the cold start in the morning and stuff.

Hopefully by the time I get this dialed in, I'll understand WTF is going on...I'm taking this as an education too.

His place looks like a mad scientist laboratory, all geared around tweaking C4 Performance. I feel like I got pretty lucky, Musi local, and Greg. Two guys who know WTF they are doing.
Posted on: 2008/9/21 3:39

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

ok, perhaps it's just really cool to me because I've never seen it. He has the stock ECU attached to it, then to an Ostrich, then to a PC. Just pretty cool..

Like a kid in a candy store.

Greg knows his stuff. He does this for a living. He runs a pretty successful business.

Quote:

jsup wrote:

Again, this is all new to me, so I'm probably more impressed than I should be. He said he paid a hacker to break the codes. IDK, don't think he's lying...

Eh, he may have very well paid someone for the hack. I'm just pointing out that guys hacked this stuff and public sourced it 15+ years ago. I got into this stuff around 1999/2000 so all I had to do is read their notes and jump on. This is around the same time some of our famous "corvette" tuners started getting into tuning too.

Quote:

jsup wrote:

Never stopped them before......have you seen the brochures from FAST? C'mon it's great stuff...

Fast is for going fast. Doesn't have a lot of the functionality a daily driver needs.

Though, the other day a guy called me out on that regarding to the new XFI stuff. I have not touched the aftermarket stuff in a few years so it may be better now.

Quote:

jsup wrote:

I can get it fire it up and go. The problem I'm having is that the power band has flat spots and backfires when I get into it from a roll from time to time.

This tune is better in some ways than the initial, but not as good as others.

We're working on it, I'll be there tomorrow to see what we can figure out. He did a base tune, told me to set the timing to 10* and FP to 45. Put in the chip and see what happens, so, I did.

I may leave the car with him a couple days so he can do the cold start in the morning and stuff.

Hopefully by the time I get this dialed in, I'll understand WTF is going on...

Sounds good. You guys will figure it out.

I have to finish dialing in mine. I switch intakes and the whole thing is different now. I get more vac on idle and cruise.. VE is/was way off. Thats the problem with MAP ...

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/21 3:45

bogus Re: So...anyway.....some things I've learned.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

I am learning this myself. Greg sounds very knowledgable, too.

I am curious, there are some high tech european engine controllers, MoTEC, Bosch, how do those stack up to a stock ECU?

I can fully understand the need for stock ECU's being so good. They are designed to get a car onto the street; one of the harshest and most demanding environs there is. Consumers are a tough nut to crack, too... they won't tolerate popping and backfiring, to say the least!
Posted on: 2008/9/21 4:01

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I am learning this myself. Greg sounds very knowledgable, too.

I am curious, there are some high tech european engine controllers, MoTEC, Bosch, how do those stack up to a stock ECU?

I can fully understand the need for stock ECU's being so good. They are designed to get a car onto the street; one of the harshest and most demanding environs there is. Consumers are a tough nut to crack, too... they won't tolerate popping and backfiring, to say the least!

I don't know, I haven't talked to a whole lot of people, but Greg seems to know more about dialing in a C4 than anyone I have ever spoken to. He takes a wholistic approach to the set up....timing,fuel delivery, etc... Again, my experience is limited.

I'll ask today about the MoTec, Bosch and stuff....however, he says there is no engine that can't work with a stock ECU and that they are very well designed. In his words, it's hard to beat a stock ECU that is tweaked correctly.

This has really been an educational experience, which I was hoping for.

The only thing Greg said was he'd like to see 60 LB injectors, I have 42. Well, I'm not going through that again..we'll keep the 42s.
Posted on: 2008/9/21 12:49

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Hey Joe, I'll report back the results of today's tuning. I look forward to your insights based on the limited information we will have.
Posted on: 2008/9/21 13:45

PeteK Re: So...anyway.....some things I've learned.
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Good stuff. Keep us updated.
Posted on: 2008/9/21 14:23

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

I still think 42s are too big for your application. If the motor was built properly the BSFC should be around .45

That says 38.95# injectors at 43.5psi.

I'm throwing out the number of 550hp at the crank. I'm not convinced it will make that much but it's a good overshoot.

Greg builds a lot of supercharged combos. A supercharged engine making 550hp might have a BSFC of .60 or worse due to heat. 41.25# injectors.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/21 14:36

Schrade Re: So...anyway.....some things I've learned.
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

This guy is good, really good. He custom built a simulator to replicate the motor running to test and adjust chip tuning.

So he's pretty good huh?

Can he tune THIS?
Resized Image

Can he tuna this?
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/9/21 15:09

Resized Image

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
I still think 42s are too big for your application. If the motor was built properly the BSFC should be around .45

That says 38.95# injectors at 43.5psi.

I'm throwing out the number of 550hp at the crank. I'm not convinced it will make that much but it's a good overshoot.

Greg builds a lot of supercharged combos. A supercharged engine making 550hp might have a BSFC of .60 or worse due to heat. 41.25# injectors.

-- Joe

I'm not saying the guy is god. I am saying that based on the fact it's impossible to find anyone who can tune these things locally, I'm lucky to have someone with his level of experience who is local.

We'll see how it goes.
Posted on: 2008/9/21 16:25

BrianCunningham Re: So...anyway.....some things I've learned.
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Sweet setup!

Nice to hear from someone who's had a visit.

Nothing beats having you tuner there in person.
Posted on: 2008/9/21 17:30

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Here's the update. Greg just dropped me home a few minutes ago. I left the car with him. There is more in the car, we now have it all set up to tune, I'll go back during the week. He wants to put in a heated O2. There's also something smoking, melting, when the engine gets hot smoke comes out....we need to figure out WTF is hitting the exhaust and deal with it.

So.....he has the car ans we'll get to the rest shortly, we're down to the last 10%.
Posted on: 2008/9/21 21:59

MK 82 Re: So...anyway.....some things I've learned.
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quiet, the adults are speaking!

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:

This guy is good, really good. He custom built a simulator to replicate the motor running to test and adjust chip tuning.

So he's pretty good huh?

Can he tune THIS?
Resized Image

Can he tuna this?
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/9/21 22:12

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Here's the update. Greg just dropped me home a few minutes ago. I left the car with him. There is more in the car, we now have it all set up to tune, I'll go back during the week. He wants to put in a heated O2. There's also something smoking, melting, when the engine gets hot smoke comes out....we need to figure out WTF is hitting the exhaust and deal with it.

So.....he has the car ans we'll get to the rest shortly, we're down to the last 10%.

Where is the 02 bung in your headers?

I'm running the hooker long tubes. The 02 is in one of the primaries. I've seen other brands put the 02 really far away.

I need new valve covers. I got some time in today (4th time I've driven the car this year - been busy). My valve covers are leaking though so I hope I get a 5th in..

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/22 0:16

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:

Where is the 02 bung in your headers?

I'm running the hooker long tubes. The 02 is in one of the primaries. I've seen other brands put the 02 really far away.

I need new valve covers. I got some time in today (4th time I've driven the car this year - been busy). My valve covers are leaking though so I hope I get a 5th in..

-- Joe

My O2 bung is in the collector. It goes into closed loop, but not at idle. If we rev it to 1500 RPMs at idle, it goes into closed loop. He wants to see closed loop at idle, makes it easier to tune....he's the expert.

I have an bung on the other header, should I decide to go to a wideband, I can put it in the other side.

Anyway, we have to solve the smoking problem, before I get to the other issues. The exhaust is hitting something, just don't know what.

Your car sounds like my boat. I got about 5 trips in this year, well at least I didn't waste a lot in gas.
Posted on: 2008/9/22 0:34

bogus Re: So...anyway.....some things I've learned.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

I prefer to have the O2 on the collector, that way it is getting a full picture of at least the entire bank.

I wish there was a way to do 2 O2s on that vintage.
Posted on: 2008/9/22 0:45

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BrianCunningham Re: So...anyway.....some things I've learned.
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Jsup,

Be sure to post those inside pics in the 'forced induction section' "over there"

Greg has quite a following, I'm sure they'd love to see them.
Posted on: 2008/9/22 1:01

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

My O2 bung is in the collector. It goes into closed loop, but not at idle. If we rev it to 1500 RPMs at idle, it goes into closed loop. He wants to see closed loop at idle, makes it easier to tune....he's the expert.

Hrmm. To each their own..

I patched my bin so it won't go into closed loop until 1400 RPM. I'd rather run a very lean open loop idle. Cam overlap at idle always ends up in the ECM correcting a rich condition.

Are you using the base map that TPIS did? I wonder if they did the same patch I did.

Quote:

jsup wrote:

I have an bung on the other header, should I decide to go to a wideband, I can put it in the other side.

Anyway, we have to solve the smoking problem, before I get to the other issues. The exhaust is hitting something, just don't know what.

Not many things to hit that you can't see. ??

Quote:

jsup wrote:

Your car sounds like my boat. I got about 5 trips in this year, well at least I didn't waste a lot in gas.

I sold my boat this spring for a song. I used it 3 times last year. Been out on the PWC twice this year.

I pass this little bow rider every day on some guys front lawn with a for sale sign.. She keeps telling me "you will never use it".. She's probably right.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/22 1:45

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:

Hrmm. To each their own..

I patched my bin so it won't go into closed loop until 1400 RPM. I'd rather run a very lean open loop idle. Cam overlap at idle always ends up in the ECM correcting a rich condition.

Are you using the base map that TPIS did? I wonder if they did the same patch I did.

I think he's doing it all from scratch.. He may be using the VE table, but that's about it.

Quote:

Not many things to hit that you can't see. ??

Yeah, I know, we just have to get up under there and see.

Quote:

I sold my boat this spring for a song. I used it 3 times last year. Been out on the PWC twice this year.

I pass this little bow rider every day on some guys front lawn with a for sale sign.. She keeps telling me "you will never use it".. She's probably right.

-- Joe

Yeah, it will suck you in......get it.....geeetttt it.
Posted on: 2008/9/22 1:50

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I prefer to have the O2 on the collector, that way it is getting a full picture of at least the entire bank.

I wish there was a way to do 2 O2s on that vintage.

I suppose.

If you could figure out a way to get the stock dizzy to act like an optispark, the $DA2 stuff looks kinda nice. (early LT1 MAP).

A lot of guys are swapping to LS1 PCM's and adding crank triggers.

More 02 sensors would just make tuning more difficult. It's a psychological thing. The more things you see that are a little 'off' the more you want to tweak it. Probably why the crossfire 'tards are soo happy raising fuel pressure and turning the dizzy to advance timing.. Ignorance is bliss.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/9/22 1:50

Josh Re: So...anyway.....some things I've learned.
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Tuning is pretty wild, that's for sure. And for some reason the Internet information on the subject seems to be extremely thick with BS, more so than other subjects.

I don't have a ton of experience doing it, I've only done my car and a small handful of others; but I really enjoy doing it - when things are going right. When weird stuff starts to happen, chips don't want to burn/erase properly, and other strange problems start to pop up it can be a really frustrating experience.

I tuned my car on a dyno at work, 44 pulls later I'm rocking what I think is a pretty solid tune for max power. Right near the end of the tuning session, the check engine light came on. I bent up a paper clip and jumped the connector to get the code. Turned out to be 'oil temp too low' and was a messed up connector. No big deal, so I roll out of the shop at 1 AM and start to head home.

The check engine light is blinking at me the whole time, the fans won't turn off, and the instant I turn on the key the fans come on. If you install a bad chip, (or no chip, or put the chip in backwards, etc...) the fans will come on as soon as you turn the key on. I'm sitting there, in Durham, NC, on the side of the road, at 1 AM, trying to figure out how in the Hell my chip took a dump when it was running great on the dyno literally 10 minutes ago. I finally decided to just get it home and deal with it in the morning.

I spent a couple hours re-burning chips, checking all my start and stop addresses with the chip burner, and dinking with stuff. Nothing changed, still immediate fans, randomly blinking SES light, etc...

Finally, I went to pull the codes again, thinking that maybe another code had thrown and that would point me in the right direction. Imagine my surprise when I found the paperclip I stuck in the ALDL connector from the night before. I had forgotten to remove it, the randomly blinking SES light was the computer flashing out '12 - 12 - 12' and the code for low engine oil temp. The fans come on when you jump the terminal as well.

All my problems were because my dumb ass forgot to pull out the paper clip.

Like I said, tuning is fun... When it goes smoothly. When it doesn't, it is probably the most frustrating experience there is with a car (IMO). Most of the time, in my experience, the problems are operator error/stupidity; and can normally be corrected with a minimal amount of head banging. There are occasional hardware and software problems that pop up, but that's price you pay I suppose.

Anyway, I'm rambling, good luck with your car. Glad to see some results out of it.
Posted on: 2008/9/22 5:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.