Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
253 user(s) are online (225 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98 Intake Bolt Sizes
This is data compiled by CentralCoaster. It lists all the bolt sizes for a stock L98 intake manifold and some of the attachments.

These are commo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

kelley bp gas
Guru Newb
thomasville ga
122 Posts

filled the truck with gas and the little sign over pump, (MAY contain 10%ethonol),,? what do they mean MAY and what octain does .did they leave the 93 alone? how will that affect the fuel system of the C4,i know my truck is not happy burning it.
Posted on: 2008/11/23 12:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: bp gas
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

All the gas up here is 10% ethanol - has been for years. It's bad for early multec injectors, but I'm not 100% on the other complications.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/11/23 12:48

BillH Re: bp gas
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I run it all the time in my 92, no problems. I also run the 89 octane.
Posted on: 2008/11/23 15:48

bogus Re: bp gas
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

10% ethanol is not new and will harm nothing.

The ethanol is being used as an oxygenate to replace MBTE. MBTE was a chemical additive that was found to be very toxic to groundwater. You see, MBTE was molecularly smaller, and it leached out of the underground tanks... very very bad.

So they started transitioning to ethanol.

BTW, ethanol is also an octane booster. As a reference, Koenigsegg has an exotic that makes 806hp. With E85, it makes 900+.
Posted on: 2008/11/23 19:12

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Schrade Re: bp gas
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

kelley wrote:
filled the truck with gas and the little sign over pump, (MAY contain 10%ethonol),,? what do they mean MAY and what octain does .did they leave the 93 alone? how will that affect the fuel system of the C4,i know my truck is not happy burning it.

I saw those in VA last week.

I saw 'May contain 10% ethanol'. Literally what does it mean? Nothing. Means it may, or may not. Flip a coin.

I also saw in VA 'Contains UP TO 10% ethanol' (I think this is what they all are supposed to say). Means it is somewhere between 0% and 10% ethanol.

Those are federally mandated notices by the USDA. The former notice will be changed, unless some oil co's are allowed to put in more ethanol for 'tolerance' purposes.
Posted on: 2008/11/23 22:14

Resized Image

Schrade Re: bp gas
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
10% ethanol is not new and will harm nothing.

The ethanol is being used as an oxygenate to replace MBTE. MBTE was a chemical additive that was found to be very toxic to groundwater. You see, MBTE was molecularly smaller, and it leached out of the underground tanks... very very bad.

So they started transitioning to ethanol.

BTW, ethanol is also an octane booster. As a reference, Koenigsegg has an exotic that makes 806hp. With E85, it makes 900+.

From their website:
Quote:
The CCXR is the first green supercar in the world and thereby sets a great example for others to follow. Since the ethanol in E85 fuel has a much higher octane rating and internal cooling capacity, the engine can run with higher compression, boost pressure and more spark advance compared to the normal petrol-fuelled CCX, whilst still maintaining the same exhaust temperature.

I am obligated to raise the flag on "same exhaust temps".
Resized Image

Their marketing terminology is all wrong. It does NOT boost octane. It might boost the anti-knock rating, because it is less likely to DETONATE, because it has 'less energy'.

And as it says "normal petrol...", I need to know the definition of "normal petrol".

MAYBE the anti-knock rating is higher of ethanol gas (and maybe it is not).

Add alcohol, and it has less 'power'.

Absolute energy:

Gasoline[4] 46.4 34.2
Gasohol E10 (10% ethanol 90% gas) 43.54 33.72
Gasohol E85 (85% ethanol 10% gas) 33.1 25.65

Heat energy is lower also.

Gasoline 47 11.3 20,000
Ethanol 29.8 7.1 12,000
Posted on: 2008/11/24 0:09

Resized Image

bogus Re: bp gas
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

What is octane? The resistance to detonation. Whatever the way, eh?

I know guys back east who race alcohol burning go-carts, and they are constantly monitoring exhaust temps, because they have a tendency to run very cool.

IRL (and former CART) use methenol and they get decent power out of not much engine size. 3.5L V8, normally aspriated (CART was a 2.65L turbo V8) and they are getting 700hp or so (CART was getting 850+).
Posted on: 2008/11/24 2:20

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: bp gas
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I know guys back east who race alcohol burning go-carts, and they are constantly monitoring exhaust temps, because they have a tendency to run very cool.

Yep, and a lot of the karts running gas do the same thing especially in road racing with the long straights. With those kart motors, you can adjust both the high speed and low speed jets while driving. You lean out the high speed for max power until you see the EGT start to drop.
Posted on: 2008/11/24 15:22

djxib Re: bp gas
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Regarding BP gas; both my son and I have noticed that our cars seem to run better (stronger, better MPG) using BP premium vs using QT premium. Purely an anecdotal observation, no statistically relevant empirical data (although my son measured an extra 2-3 MPG using BP).

We both now use BP as a preference; I assume, therefore, that so far we have not encountered "10% Ethanol" at our local BP...?
Posted on: 2008/11/24 15:40

tjpreul Re: bp gas
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Its mandatory to have 10% ethanol here in Missouri. I wish they would let the consumers decide.

The reason for "May contain" is that some suppliers add it, so it can be transported to any state. Where if it did not have the ethanol, they couldn't ship to states like Missouri.
Posted on: 2008/11/24 15:47

CentralCoaster Re: bp gas
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:
It does NOT boost octane. It might boost the anti-knock rating, because it is less likely to DETONATE, because it has 'less energy'.

Semantics. Octane isn't something that's added to the gas, it's a measurement taken of knock resistance on a standardized test motor. (A little 1-cylinder motor that costs 10x more than your car.)

I believe ethanol production is subsidized, meaning it's not profitable to produce, nor do the oil companies want to produce it. Therefore I would expect the ethanol content to be the minimum required by your local/state/federal environmental agencies.
Posted on: 2008/11/24 18:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.