Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
164 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C4
Abbreviation for the 4th generation of Corvettes built from 1984-1996....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BeachBum First Intake results ?
Master Guru
751 Posts

Anybody notice that they are doing a group purchase between some corvette & f-body owners for the First Intake ?

My question, why ? As near as I can tell, there are not impressive proven results with that intake.... I'm certainly not saying its not a good intake, I just haven't seen any impressive results from it thus far and I'm curious as to why so many are interested in paying about $ 900 for an intake that is perhaps subpar in performance.

Maybe I'm missing something, I dunno....
Posted on: 2008/12/11 0:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

dan0617 Re: First Intake results ?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I honestly think it is because people have convinced each other that the TPI is shit. Everyone overlooks the threads like Josh posted of his success with the TPI. A TPI, with the right parts complimenting it, can make a hell of a street fighter that lays down some decent 1/4 mile times. Not optimal for drag racing though, therefore everyone who goes to the track once every other year on test and tune day thinks that they are a drag racer and they need to scrap their TPI and jump on a bandwagon of intake swaps.

That is my opinion on it.
Posted on: 2008/12/11 1:18

BeachBum Re: First Intake results ?
Master Guru
751 Posts

I think what I am trying to say is, does anybody have any additional results on this intake ? One of the F-body guys posted his results, which I guess is fine, but the end result was a mid to high 12 second car...... I dunno, I wouldn't go out and buy one based upon that one single result. Much better examples than that with different intakes that are similar in cost.

I think what I am saying is that, I am just trying to figure out what I have missed.... I know there must be something else out there that I missed over the last year or two, but not sure, maybe they are purchasing the intake based upon the one result.

With a TPI unit, I did a lot of testing with the different intakes several years back.... the stock TPI can run quicker than most think, but it of course has some big limitations..... but, I did run 12.0 in one.
Posted on: 2008/12/11 1:33

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

CentralCoaster Re: First Intake results ?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well, considering a new high flow TPI base and runners costs about $700, the FIRST doesn't sound like such a bad deal. Would you expect any different performance than from a superram?
Posted on: 2008/12/11 1:59

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Well, considering a new high flow TPI base and runners costs about $700, the FIRST doesn't sound like such a bad deal. Would you expect any different performance than from a superram?

I think you can pick up a used Superram for around that cost..... but not sure on that market these days, haven't been paying close attention.

Yes, I think it would outperform the First with the same converter/gearing/cam..... at least from the only example I have seen.... which is why I ask. I assume there are some stout examples of it somewhere that I haven't seen.
Posted on: 2008/12/11 2:08

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well, it wasn't again available until very recently, (coincidentally about the time the superram was killed), so only time will tell as more people get them installed...
Posted on: 2008/12/11 2:42

88BlackZ51 Re: First Intake results ?
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
I honestly think it is because people have convinced each other that the TPI is shit. Everyone overlooks the threads like Josh posted of his success with the TPI. A TPI, with the right parts complimenting it, can make a hell of a street fighter that lays down some decent 1/4 mile times. Not optimal for drag racing though, therefore everyone who goes to the track once every other year on test and tune day thinks that they are a drag racer and they need to scrap their TPI and jump on a bandwagon of intake swaps.

That is my opinion on it.

I don't think it's shit at all. It is what it is......

I got my car running in the 13's consistent with a best of 13.4x with a 1.95 60 foot. The only real mod is full exhaust, and the L-98 was 100% bone stock (not even pulleys, or roller rockers).

The thing with the L-98 as we are all aware is the race is over before 5000 rpm's, and we have all heard of the brick wall. My car was only 24x rwhp/33x rwtq, and it ran those times and that's trapping at 102 mph. I know it doesnt seem like much bit it is what it is......

But after taking a ride in a 406 c.i. motor with a miniram on top and I was hooked, and I might add there was no shortage of low end torque. I knew it was only a matter of time before I built a stroker of some sort.

I will never say the L-98 is slow, I have beaten many cars that I should of never beaten with only 24x rwhp.

On to the FIRST. I didn't give it much of a thought. I knew I didnt want an intake with long runners. I wanted a change, and beside's big stroker make huge torque with any intake pretty much. Plus I don't really care much for the looks.

To each his own. I will stick with my miniram. I think I will enjoy the flat torque curve.
Posted on: 2008/12/11 2:46

mseven Re: First Intake results ?
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

I dunno, I think the average guy is more interested in street performance, incl. light to light, great mileage, creature comforts etc. Some may have read threads of sr's leaking, mr's having no low end etc., so maybe feel like this fits the bill. My taste is different, and I recognize many may not want to take it as far in a build. Some just want to change one part to make more power w/out any side effects of tuning etc.(supposedly)and may feel this is the answer. I also thought that it wasn't available at an earlier in time for reasonable money, so it wasn't as tangible. To be honest and IMO, all of the aftermarket cast intakes are overpriced..
"just sayin'"......
Posted on: 2008/12/11 19:22

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
Plus I don't really care much for the looks.

Everbody seems to love the look of the TPI, and the First gives them that plus keeps it stock looking to the less-knowledgable.

Nothing can be any uglier than the SR.
Posted on: 2008/12/11 20:39

Master Guru
751 Posts

Thats the thing, based upon the one example I have seen, I believe a Superram will outperform a First intake on the street, stop light to stop light and on the track and anywhere else..... so I am trying to figure out why buy the First. But, maybe there is more than I know with that intake.... not sure.

But, I do know, I think the Superram might be getting harder to find nowadays, but not sure. (Is anybody even manufacturing it anymore ?)

For it leaking or hard to put on.... yes, I've read the same and I kind of laugh. I have literally taken the Superram on and off 8-10 times..... its easy and there are never any leaks at all. It takes about an hour longer than the very easy to do Miniram.... no big deal. The "only" thing a little tough is the inner plenum belly bolts.... and really, they're not tough.
Posted on: 2008/12/11 20:42

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Can't be any more of a bitch than installing a TPI with the cold start injector.
Posted on: 2008/12/11 20:49

Master Guru
751 Posts

yeap.
Posted on: 2008/12/11 22:13

88BlackZ51 Re: First Intake results ?
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
Plus I don't really care much for the looks.

Everbody seems to love the look of the TPI, and the First gives them that plus keeps it stock looking to the less-knowledgable.

Nothing can be any uglier than the SR.

Kevin. I have been looking at it for almost 6 yrs now. I need a change, and the 421 will be a change with a miniram on top.
Posted on: 2008/12/12 0:58

Jeffvette Re: First Intake results ?
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Everbody seems to love the look of the TPI,

Not sure why, it looks like shit IMHO. And well performs about as good as it looks.
Posted on: 2008/12/12 2:08

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Depends what you're doing with it.

Does great at pulling stumps out of my yard. The logging chain is starting to scratch up the bumper though...
Posted on: 2008/12/12 3:02

Matt26R Re: First Intake results ?
Guru
Powell, Ohio
76 Posts

15 posts and still no results....
Posted on: 2008/12/12 5:59

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.