Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60E
1994-1996, the 4L60 with Electronic Control. From what I have seen, it seems a bit more durable....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

tjpreul New distributor
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I ordered in a new MSD distributor, as a winter project. The opti is still working, but has me concerned. I don't know if it has been replaced before and it has 134K.

MSD recommends putting in new seals and gaskets on the timing chain cover, when replacing the distributor. If I am going to have the cover off, I might as well replace the timing chain and waterpump drive shaft too.

It's adding up, and adding up quick.
Posted on: 2009/1/15 17:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Midnight85 Re: New distributor
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Hey, as long as you are pulling the front off the engine a new cam would be nice too!
Posted on: 2009/1/15 17:54

BrianCunningham Re: New distributor
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Put a new waterpump on too, as they take out the opti when they go. If you're keeping the stock pump, I'd put a drain line on the weep hole.

What year's your car?

If it's the later vented one, I'd leave it till it acted up.

Not a bad idea on the cam, kinda wishing I did that when I did a cap 7 rotor replacement my opti.
Posted on: 2009/1/15 18:13

tjpreul Re: New distributor
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Its a 92, so it is not vented. It does start fine, but the idle is a little rough. A new cam would be nice, but that will happen when the entire engine is rebuilt.
Posted on: 2009/1/15 18:52

SpectatorRacing Re: New distributor
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

If you're going to have the timing cover off, I'd consider changing to the newer '95-96 style optispark. Better driveshaft, it's vented, and you can use normal timing chains as they don't need the splined hole for the opti drive pin.

Take a look at this:

Attach file:

doc Vented Optispark Swap.doc Size: 0.00 KB; Hits: 196
Posted on: 2009/1/15 20:10

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

The newer style would be good, for the timing chain option. This one will at least be vented.

The plugs and wires were a mess on the car when it was purchased. One was not plugged in all the way to the distributor, so it was arcing. Which corroded the electrode, so I am not too sure on that connection.
Posted on: 2009/1/15 21:02

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

BillH Re: New distributor
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

You can replace the seals without pulling the timing cover.
I did it that way on my 92. But at 134k a chain isn't a bad idea.

You'll need a really robust puller to get the crank flange off. the Kent-Moore tool is the best.

And the vibration damper may be rusted to the crank flange. I'd hit it with some PB Blaster (from underneath the car) a couple of days before you plan to start. The damper can be knocked off from underneath the car with a long rod (wood), make sure you have it on the damper right at the crank flange, not on the OD of the damper.

The FelPro timing chain gasket set for the 92 is TCS 45953 and has all the seals in it.
Posted on: 2009/1/15 23:33

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I need to add on the 92, unless MSD made a change recently, the opti connector will fit a Caprice harness but not the corvette.

This isn't a big deal, just 4 wires to solder and heat shrink.

Here's the wire connections:
92 LT1 MSD

black/red(stripe) to brown/yellow - low resolution

purple/white to brown/orange - hi res

yellow to red - 12 volt

black/pink to red/green - ground

The 5th wire in the LT1 harness is a ground/shielding wire. It's not needed on the MSD Opti. It doesn't connect to anything on the GM Opti either, just wraped around the other 4 wires for shielding.
Posted on: 2009/1/15 23:38

bogus Re: New distributor
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Don't solder anything - I will have the component number so you can order the later flat oval connector from GM.

I will have the number next week.

Another thought... Call Chris May at Superior Chevy, 1.800.728.8267, tell him I sent you.

Ask him for the optispark connector on the main harness side. This is for a conversion to a later style opti harness. He is sending me just these parts.

you can get a cheap pin popper and swap out the ends.

Real easy.
Posted on: 2009/1/16 6:13

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Don't solder anything - I will have the component number so you can order the later flat oval connector from GM.

I will have the number next week.

Another thought... Call Chris May at Superior Chevy, 1.800.728.8267, tell him I sent you.

Ask him for the optispark connector on the main harness side. This is for a conversion to a later style opti harness. He is sending me just these parts.

you can get a cheap pin popper and swap out the ends.

Real easy.

Good to know. I looked for those when I put in my MSD and couldn't find them.
Posted on: 2009/1/16 15:24

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I called MSD. They say to hard wire the distributor in. I think I like the connector approach.
Posted on: 2009/1/16 22:36

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

pianoguy Re: New distributor
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
You can replace the seals without pulling the timing cover.
I did it that way on my 92. But at 134k a chain isn't a bad idea.

You'll need a really robust puller to get the crank flange off. the Kent-Moore tool is the best.

And the vibration damper may be rusted to the crank flange. I'd hit it with some PB Blaster (from underneath the car) a couple of days before you plan to start. The damper can be knocked off from underneath the car with a long rod (wood), make sure you have it on the damper right at the crank flange, not on the OD of the damper.

The FelPro timing chain gasket set for the 92 is TCS 45953 and has all the seals in it.

I got my damper off using that method, but I've also heard that you can often get it to come free easier by loosening the 3 bolts just a little and running the engine for a bit (after soaking with PB Blaster). Make sure to put some anti-seize on the damper's mating surface before you put it back together.
Posted on: 2009/1/17 1:44

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

bogus Re: New distributor
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Do NOT try the loosen bolts/run engine trick. That has disaster written all over it.

The loose bolts could shear...

I am a huge fan of PB blaster and the 2x4 trick. You can hit the pulley from behind, too.

I would, tho, apply some antisieze on the balancer before reinstallation. Also, be sure to clean the face of all rust.
Posted on: 2009/1/18 19:04

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

On the coupler to the waterpump the groove was towards the pump. In the service manual there said the white stripe should be towards the engine. I am guessing the groove is the white stripe. If so it was in backwards.
Posted on: 2009/1/26 16:25

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I finally started it back up, but only for a few seconds to get the antifreeze to cylce a bit. It seemed a lot smoother than before.
Posted on: 2009/2/4 17:04

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.