Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
311 user(s) are online (251 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

red_johnny
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

I know its not a C6 but it give you an idea for how long the C6 will be here for.

Resized Image

Quote:
The things that CAFE regulations will make automakers do is pretty frightening for us car enthusiasts. Even some of America’s famous sports cars, like the Corvette, aren’t safe from wrath of strict fuel-economy regulations.

Well we have some good news for you today. No one at GM is talking about a mid-engine C7 Corvette anymore. Previous reports suggested that Bob Lutz and other GM exes were leaning toward a mid-engine layout for the next-generation C7 ‘Vette since it would be easier to cut fuel-economy from a mid-mounted LS3 V8. Basically, GM decided that due to the high-cost of switching from the current front-engine layout to a mid-engine was not worth it.

Still the C7 Corvette is not likely to launch earlier than 2013 as a 2014 model year. According to Motor Trend, a 3.6L direct-injection V6 for the C7 could be on the drawing boards.

Article here
Posted on: 2008/10/13 2:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am more expecting a 4.5 litre V8, more then likely pushrod, for space savings. Besides, the Northstar is getting retired soon.

High revving, perhaps turbocharged. I could see an engine like that pumping out 450+hp and have a very pleasent power delivery while still delivering good MPG.

I don't see GM going V6 in the Vette. It would be a marketing nightmare.

For what it is worth, GM has not stopped production of the ZR1.
Posted on: 2008/10/13 4:19

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CentralCoaster
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

If they want a mid-engined car or a V6, name it something else.

They'll shoot themselves in the foot if they do that on the vette. Even reducing the displacement won't go over well.
Posted on: 2008/10/13 5:48

bogus
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

reducing displacement isn't as bad as it was 40 years ago. These days, it just means a different means of induction.
Posted on: 2008/10/13 6:00

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Yeah, like "Fiero"....then just when they get the bugs worked out they can kill it. Oh wait, I think they did that once before.....

I will throw up if I ever see a v6 corvette. Ugh.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/13 22:31

Klaus
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

Corvette C7 put on indefinite hold

Posted Oct 17th 2008 3:47PM by Damon Lavrinc
Filed under: Coupes, Chevrolet, GM

According to multiple unnamed sources speaking with Autoweek, General Motors has put its plans for a C7 Corvette on "indefinite hold, with no official or set timetable." That's a pretty broad admission, but not entirely surprising considering the financial issues plaguing GM, the rest of the domestics and the world as a whole.

Originally it was thought that the current C6 Corvette would undergo significant upgrades over the course of the next five years, with the C7 coming to market in 2014. That timeframe doesn't appear to hold water anymore, and Autoweek maintains that GM's leadership doesn't have a clear plan for what the future holds for the 'Vette, not to mention the rest of the General's lineup.

However, Corvette vehicle-line executive Tom Wallace assured the weekly pub that the halo coupe isn't going anywhere. "We're still working on future Corvettes," Wallace said, and "there are changes, some neat stuff, coming for 2010 that I can't talk about yet." Wallace went on to say that the 2010 model wouldn't be considered an all-new car and that the 35-mpg CAFE standards for 2020 are having an effect on future drivetrains specs of the next Corvette.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/17/co ... 7-put-on-indefinite-hold/
Posted on: 2008/10/18 0:57

2008 Machine Silver Coupe
LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

Danspeed1
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Sounds like a C3 situation. You may see that 4.5L sooner than you think. Wasn't that the trend for the C3, each year less and less hp? And the car was around from 68-82?

Actually, HP and TQ is whats really important. I wouldn't mind 4.5L with a "supercharger" if it put down the same or more power than the current C6, but a V6 really would kill the whole "corvette" image.

My $0.02
DG
Posted on: 2008/12/3 14:35
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

DouglasMariani
Guru Newb
Anaheim Hills,California
18 Posts

Granted there are V6 engines out there that can produce the power of a V8. Corvette is one of the last nostalgic American sports cars. The failure of GM can be contributed to the mis management and the brain dead marketers. Instead of GM laying off thousands of workers, they should get rid of the big wigs, who fly around in their fancy corporate Jets, and replace them with the workers they laid off. I bet GM would come back with a bang.
Posted on: 2009/2/24 17:52

Mekanic
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I made a loooong post over at the other site almost a year ago, about the C6 possibly being the last corvette.

Everyone bashed me, and in true other forum fashion, it got deleted.

CAFE restrictions have made GM state last year that they WILL NOT be able to make the requirements and still have RWD cars on the road, they were even trying to kill off the Camaro, but said it was too far into production to do so.

I still stand by my thoughts, and that is there is a very good possibility that the C6 will be the last corvette, at least for quite a long time.

~Rich
Posted on: 2009/2/24 18:45

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

DaleD
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

They'll shoot themselves in the foot if they do that on the vette. Even reducing the displacement won't go over well.

GM hasn't shown even the slightest bit of direction or good sense. They are capable of almost anything.
Posted on: 2009/2/24 19:23

BrianCunningham
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Let's see if GM survives 1st.

Hopefully the C7 won't be a government dictated upgrade.
Posted on: 2009/2/24 21:00

DouglasMariani
Guru Newb
Anaheim Hills,California
18 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

GM hasn't shown even the slightest bit of direction or good sense. They are capable of almost anything.

Sad.... but true
Posted on: 2009/2/24 23:15

VetteUSA
Guru Newb
103 Posts

I'm just going to copy and paste some previous posts I've had. I 'm too tired from work to rethink new thoughts.

Re: CAFE Standards
=======================
People are trying to make a big deal out of this for no reason whatsoever. the "Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) is the sales weighted average fuel economy, expressed in miles per gallon (mpg), of a manufacturer’s fleet of passenger cars or light trucks. I don't see the problem either. The Corvette is only a blip within the entire equation. The only thing that happens is the manufacturer might pay a penalty for failing to meet CAFE standards.

But note that "since 1983, manufacturers have paid more than $590 million in CAFE civil penalties. Most European manufacturers regularly pay CAFE civil penalties ranging from less than $1 million to more than $20 million annually. Asian and most of the big domestic manufacturers have never paid a civil penalty."

""The current penalty for failing to meet CAFE standards is $5.50 per tenth of a MPG under the target value times the total volume of those vehicles manufactured for a given model year." The public needs to do a little bit of reading on the subject before they start declaring that it's the "end of the muscle car era" as we know it and that the Corvette is doomed.

============================

Here's my take on it: The c7 will be slightly smaller, MAYBE 1 or 2" difference in width/length and/or wider wheelbase, it'll become lighter... 50... 100lbs...... and they'll make it E85 capable. That's it. They don't need to do anything else.
.... and they'll pretty up the interior. :buhbye:
===============================

A new corvette is 430hp, weighs 3200 lbs, and according to Chevrolet gets around 15/25 mpg. The LT1 C4 is 3300 lbs, 300 hp, and gets 17/25. They're not going to go back to 1990's hp when they have a 430 hp engine that gets the same kind of gas mileage. They'll keep the Corvette at 400+ hp, but they'll reduce the weight, they'll implement some sort of fuel management system (ie shut down half of the cylinders at cruising speed), and they'll make the Corvette a dual-fuel vehicle. Though everyone knows that E85 is currently less efficient than gasoline, it doesn't matter. According to CAFE standards, a vehicle that is a dual fuel vehicle is legally classified as being more fuel efficient. Even if they do these things and only get an increase of 2 MPG, it still doesn't matter, because CAFE standards are applied for a company's entire fleet of vehicles, not for every model.

The Corvette is Chevy's flagship and it's one small piece of GM's entire fleet of vehicles. Even if GM doesn't meet the upcoming CAFE standards, it STILL doesn't matter, because no domestic car company has ever been fined for failing to meet CAFE standards.......the same cannot be said about foreign companies that do not meet U.S. CAFE standards.

===============================
Actually, they do. What's the whole purpose of the CAFE standard? For the Govt. to make money.

Direct from the horse's mouth, so you can try to debate the facts but it just won't work :

"Most European manufacturers regularly pay CAFE civil penalties ranging from less than $1 million to more than $20 million annually. Asian and most of the big domestic manufacturers have never paid a civil penalty. "

GM has never paid a civil penalty:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cars/rules/...D-SUMMARY.html

Companies can also earn credits. "Manufacturers can earn CAFE “credits” to offset deficiencies in their CAFE performances. Specifically, when the average fuel economy of either the passenger car or light truck fleet for a particular model year exceeds the established standard, the manufacturer earns credits . . . These credits can be applied to any three consecutive model years immediately prior to or subsequent to the model year in which the credits are earned" So even if GM doesn't meet the standards, they can apply any earned credits to meet those standards.

Next, GM doesn't even technically have to reduce weight/alter displacement, or do much of anything to increase mpg according to CAFE standards. GM can make the Corvette a dual fuel/alternative fuel vehicle and the car will legally be classified as having a higher mpg, even though technically, in the real world, it might actually have reduced fuel economy. Try to wrap your brain around that.

"The CAFE law provides for special treatment of vehicle fuel economy calculations for dedicated alternative fuel vehicles and dual-fuel vehicles. The fuel economy of a dedicated alternative fuel vehicle is determined by dividing its fuel economy in equivalent miles per gallon of gasoline or diesel fuel by 0.15. Thus a 15 mpg dedicated alternative fuel vehicle would be rated as 100 mpg. For dual-fuel vehicles (vehicles that can use the alternative fuel and gasoline or diesel interchangeably), the rating is the average of the fuel economy on gasoline or diesel and the fuel economy on the alternative fuel vehicle divided by .15"

These are the facts, and they are not debatable. Sorry, I'm just tired of everyone saying the muscle car wars are over and that the Corvette is on its last breath.

==========================

They will not make the C7, or the C8, C9, the size of a Solstice, and they will not bump the engine down to a V6. There's no point and there's no need to. GM has 12 years to have their domestic passenger car fleet obtain the 35mpg avg for CAFE. Even if they don't, it doesn't matter. the point of enforcing CAFE is for 2 reasons, and 2 reasons only.... 1) To become more "energy conscious", and 2) for the U.S. Govt to make money. The Govt. fines corporations for failing to meet CAFE standards, but the Govt. has also never fined Domestic or Asian manufacturers for their failure in meeting CAFE standards. Who are the ones that get fined? That's right, The European manufacturers.

GM's North American passenger car production volume for 2007 was 1.526 million, the Corvette accounted for 2.6% of total production, or 40,561 vehicles. .... 2.6%.

GM will not screw with a flagship model like the Corvette, especially when it has such an insignificant impact on the domestic passenger car fleet average fuel economy. Light trucks and foreign passenger cars have different CAFE standards than domestic passenger cars.

I've said my piece.... again (I have to because it doesn't seem to get through people's heads no matter how often I say it).

=========================================

:dontget:
Posted on: 2009/2/25 1:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.