Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
247 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ZF6
A 6-speed manual transmission, standard from 1989 to 1996.

Very stout.

There are two distinct versions, the original “Black Tag,” 1989-E1...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CSS996 C4 to C5. Any regrets?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Depending on how business is for me, I plan to sell my Ruby and get a Z06 next summer.

Any of you sold a C4 to get into your C5? Do you feel it was a good move?

I wish there were more action in the C5 section. I don't wanna have to go elsewhere for knowledge.
Posted on: 2009/4/6 15:43

DaleD Re: C4 to C5. Any regrets?
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I test drove a couple C5s but not a Z06.
For me, it's the refinement. And that's personal preference.
The C4 is like the old wooden roller coaster. Not as fast, not as steep, but you definately feel the ride.
The C5 is the new steel coaster, taller, faster, and smoother.

If I had the option, the Z06 wins without looking back.
Posted on: 2009/4/6 15:55

CSS996 Re: C4 to C5. Any regrets?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I agree. The C5 gives up a little character, I think. But I want it for a crazy-fun daily driver. The C5 feels more up to the task. I'll always love C4s though. No question.

I'd be pleased as punch if a couple other folks on here that were thinking about it, made the switch too.

There's an Electron Blue Z for sale in Arizona for $17,900 with not too many miles on it. It's driving me crazy, but I just can't swing it right now. Awesome deal for someone though.
Posted on: 2009/4/6 16:00

81c3 Re: C4 to C5. Any regrets?
Senior Guru
Colorado
143 Posts

Just do it Chris! Just think, when you get next to 99% of the cars on the road, in your mind and heart, you'll know you can whoop em'. When you get your own, you can hammer down on the throttle and REALLY experience the LS6 power. I've owned a few cars in my short pathetic existence, and very few were able to get away from me. With the AH & TC off, you can really find yourself in a shit storm if you're not careful!!

As far as regrets...... for me. No way! It would be an extremely hard decision to sell my Z06 knowing I couldn't have another one in the future. However, I would sell it before I sold my ZR-1..... not because the ZR-1 is better, but, because its a ZR-1. If I had a base LT1 or even an LT4 car, the C4 would be going first. I love my C4's..... on my 4th one, but man, the Z06 is worlds apart from all but the ZR-1.

The ZR-1 is a special car that gives you a special feeling, especially when approaching 7000rpm, but the overall package of my Z06 is tighter and at the same time more nimble. As you know, both of my cars have full exhausts on them and are running what I believe to be the best they can be for what mods they have done to them.

Bottom line, the Z06 is better for daily use, registers a bit higher on the fun-O-meter, and in just about every situation, is superior, except of course in the engine aesthetics department!!! The LT-5 is an absolute work of art in my opinion.
Posted on: 2009/4/6 20:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Oh, I'm ready mentally, physically and spiritually. It's the financial part that's stopping me.

I wish I could keep both, but that's just silly. What would I do with two Vettes?

{Homer Simpson} Mmmmmm.... Two Vettes...{/Homer Simpson}
Posted on: 2009/4/7 2:20

BillH Re: C4 to C5. Any regrets?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:

I wish I could keep both, but that's just silly. What would I do with two Vettes?

Start your collection? I've had 2 for most of my driving life. I've also really regretted selling any of mine.

I wouldn't buy a C5 even if it was a good deal unless it was a Z.
If I ever do by a Z, I'll put an extra $1k in the budget for decent seats.
Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:00

SpectatorRacing Re: C4 to C5. Any regrets?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

My C5 should be in the garage sometime this summer, and off the street by next April. So yes, I'll still be here on the Guru with a C5, but I'll still probably spend most of my time in the RR section

The only question is whether to get an FRC or Z06. FRC's are less then $10K now. There are 2 Z06's in Houston for about $18K that I'm looking at when I'm down there at the end of the month. Z06's are awesome, but $8K would get a FRC there and waaaay beyond. It's like a Z with a free cage.
Posted on: 2009/4/8 17:28

Matatk Re: C4 to C5. Any regrets?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Chris - I think you were bitten by the c5 bug last week when John took you for a ride. I think in the back of your mind you already know the answer to your question. You said business is picking up, so see what happens. Or turn over that saab for a quick couple bucks and roll it into the new purchase. I'd say go for it. We'll still let you post in daily chat

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/4/8 18:33

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Yeah, I know what I want. The only issue is color and money.

I really dig the yellow, but John already has one, and it might be a little too gay if we both have the same car. Silver or blue are great as well. Red is OK. Black and white are not really my thing. I'd love to have one of those commemorative edition 2004 Z16 cars!

I have a LOT of cash starting to roll in, but I have to get about ten grand in the bank for those months when nothing is happening. Then the next ten or twelve will be for the Vette.

But in the meantime, I still have to throw a grand a month at living expenses. So it might take awhile. The crazy thing about my business is that it can all come at once with one big job. I think the first ten grand is nearly a done deal, thankfully.

So I should be able to start saving for the Vette in a couple months.
Posted on: 2009/4/8 19:07

BillH Re: C4 to C5. Any regrets?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
It's like a Z with a free cage.

And coilovers?

We have a Time Trials coming up in 2 weeks. If i can, I'll try and get some pics of the cage in a Z that was built by a local race shop that does some impressive work. The cage extends into the doors, probably comes within 1/2 inch of the outer skin. The shop fabed new inner door panels that rap around the cage with a looped cable to work the door latch. Pretty cool setup.
Posted on: 2009/4/8 19:50

Matatk Re: C4 to C5. Any regrets?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:

I really dig the yellow, but John already has one, and it might be a little too gay if we both have the same car. Silver or blue are great as well. Red is OK. Black and white are not really my thing. I'd love to have one of those commemorative edition 2004 Z16 cars!

I have a LOT of cash starting to roll in, but I have to get about ten grand in the bank for those months when nothing is happening.

Blue is my next color. I do like the z16 cars, too.

As far as money, my goal is to always have 6 months living expenses in the bank (mortgage, gas, water, elec, food, etc) and anything over that is play money.

Don't give up hope! If it takes a vette fund and saving slowly for a year, so be it. I'd never finance a toy, just a word of advice.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/4/8 20:39

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Yup. Cash only on the toys. Even though it would be my DD.
Posted on: 2009/4/8 21:02

SpectatorRacing Re: C4 to C5. Any regrets?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
CSS996 wrote:
I really dig the yellow, but John already has one, and it might be a little too gay if we both have the same car.

It's funny you say that. My racing teammate and I have always had this going on. We actually met because 15 years ago we worked at the same company and both had white Taurus SHO's. He also had a black notchback Mustang that he took to the track. I raced the SHO for a bit, but eventually graduated to RWD and got my own black FOX body mustang (although a bit newer). Then he got an M3, so the next spring I got an M3. Last year it went the other way - he retired the Mustang from track duty and got a black C4 just like mine.

Now that's some kind of Bromance...
Posted on: 2009/4/9 19:42

81c3 Re: C4 to C5. Any regrets?
Senior Guru
Colorado
143 Posts

Chris, if you really want a yellow Z, I'll sell you mine! I have been aiming toward a Z16 anyway......DO NOT TELL ANDREA!!!! And, if you do get a yellow Z, my masculinity will not be challenged nor compromised by that!!

Why do you guys say cash only for toys? I have had 7 Vettes now and financed 5 of them. If you do it correctly, like through a credit union and buy the car "right", meaning, dont pay more than its worth, whats the problem?

I kinda see it this way..... Why would I take $18k and spend it all in one shot? Why not finance the car, hold onto the cash in a savings account or CD or something of that nature, just make the payments. With excellent credit, the interest rate is negligible anyway. If the time comes to sell, then sell it, pay off the note and pocket the rest..... In the mean time, the $18k would have earned you a little money to boot. In this uncertain economy and with an economy sensitive job, I'd much rather have the cash in a safe place AND a toy or 2 in the garage......knowing all I had to do was sell the car to get out of a jamb....and remember, if the worst happens, you still have the $18k in a safe place that you can draw from to make the payment until the car sold.
Posted on: 2009/4/9 20:57

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Whoa! You racer boys are a tight group!

My credit sucks. I don't really know why. All my problems are years behind me. But I'm self employed now, so I can't finance anything. Smart or otherwise.

You gonna leave the headers and exhaust on for me, John?

We should chat more about this when the time comes, for sure.
Posted on: 2009/4/9 21:39

teebee Re: C4 to C5. Any regrets?
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12372 Posts

Just dropped in on this thread. I think the big reason for me moving to the C5 is the ease of entry and egress. I'm getting a little bit older and my knees aren't what they used to be. I love my 94, but after driving a few C5s they are much more nimble, quicker and just as much fun to drive. I personally think they lack a bit in the looks dept compared to the C4, but it's one of those things I'll have to deal with. I was just out a little bit ago getting ready for my trip to Albuquerque tomorrow and man it's hard to think about trading it in, but I know I'll be happy with the 01.
Posted on: 2009/4/30 23:18

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.