Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
291 user(s) are online (219 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  RPO
Regular Production Order. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

92LRC Head Gasket Replacement
Guru Newb
Weston, FL
88 Posts

Some of you may have been following a post I put up last week. http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... php?topic_id=7994&forum=1

I had to replace my intake mani gaskets because of an oil leak. That seems to have gone well but after finishing the project I found a small coolant leak that looks to be coming from the back of the drivers side head. Nothing seems to be leaking at the front of the engine where all the hoses are only at the back end where the valve cover and head ends.
[IMG]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/92LRC/IMGP0871a.jpg[/IMG]

I sopped it up and with some paper towels and ran the car. It took about 1-2 minutes but the coolant again leaked out and pooled at the same location. The car is not overheating or blowing white smoke from the exhaust. It is smoking from the undersie of the engine near where the leak is. The coolant leaking seems to be mixed with oil but when I check the dipstick the oil is clean.

It would seem to me that I have a head gasket issue.

How hard a job is that? I have limited mech skills and the intake mani is about as tech as I wanna get. Is replaceing the head gaskets something that would require in depth mech knowledge?

Thanks for the input.
Posted on: 2009/4/17 0:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Durango_Boy Re: Head Gasket Replacement
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Hard to tell in the pics, what is the exact location of the pool of coolant?

Other possibilities, depending on where the coolant is...are the freeze plugs, and intake manifold gasket sealing problems.

Usually a leaking head gasket will result in 'internal' coolant symptoms like white smoke exhaust and fouled plugs. If the head gasket was bad, which I doubt, a novice wrench turner could easily remove everything down to the head and reverse the order to put it all back together. In fact that was the very firth thing I did to my black '77 engine when I was finally doing all the work to it almost 11 years ago. I changed heads and gaskets a few times before realizing it was a cracked block.
Posted on: 2009/4/17 0:35

Matatk Re: Head Gasket Replacement
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Could it be coming from any other sources? Doesn't the LT1 intake have coolant passages in the back of the intake? Are you sure everything is secure?

I haven't done a head gasket on the vette, but did on on my old blazer. Doesn't take a ton of technical knowledge, just patience.

Good luck,

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/4/17 1:31

bogus Re: Head Gasket Replacement
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

IIRC, and I will have to check, there is a vent line at tbe back of heads.

I would be surprised if the head gaskets actually leaked coolant. It would mean there is a lot of damage to them, and I would expect that means the engine is consuming coolant, too.
Posted on: 2009/4/17 4:55

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

djxib Re: Head Gasket Replacement
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Yes - in LT1's / LT4's there is a steam/vent tube that connects the heads at the rear of the engine. Complete PITA the remove and replace with the intake and heads in place; however it is secured at the heads with a steel washer with a rubber inner.

Having done my head gaskets recently, it is remotely possible that the coolant is leaking outwards from the coolant pathsto the edge of the head but highly unlikely - all the stresses are at the cylinder bore which is where most gasket failures occur. Loss of coolant then happens either via the combustion process (white smoke) and/or via excess pressure in the cooling system causing loss of coolant via the expansion tank.

Good luck!
Posted on: 2009/4/17 11:22

92LRC Re: Head Gasket Replacement
Guru Newb
Weston, FL
88 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
IIRC, and I will have to check, there is a vent line at tbe back of heads.

I would be surprised if the head gaskets actually leaked coolant. It would mean there is a lot of damage to them, and I would expect that means the engine is consuming coolant, too.

Quote:

djxib wrote:
Yes - in LT1's / LT4's there is a steam/vent tube that connects the heads at the rear of the engine. Complete PITA the remove and replace with the intake and heads in place; however it is secured at the heads with a steel washer with a rubber inner.

Having done my head gaskets recently, it is remotely possible that the coolant is leaking outwards from the coolant pathsto the edge of the head but highly unlikely - all the stresses are at the cylinder bore which is where most gasket failures occur. Loss of coolant then happens either via the combustion process (white smoke) and/or via excess pressure in the cooling system causing loss of coolant via the expansion tank.

Good luck!

Good info. I'll start looking for that coolant line. I m not seeing any loss of coolant nor am I seeing any coolant in the overflow tank for that matter. I'll pull out my FSM and read thru to see what else I find.

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.
Posted on: 2009/4/17 11:43

bogus Re: Head Gasket Replacement
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

you're welcome! I just hope you don't have to remove the intake again... You might get lucky and reach an open end wrench in there to give them a quick torquing...
Posted on: 2009/4/17 14:35

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

captmike13 Re: Head Gasket Replacement
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Believe it or not you can put a dye in and then use a black light to track it.

Mike
Posted on: 2009/4/17 15:09

captmike13@yahoo.com

92LRC Re: Head Gasket Replacement
Guru Newb
Weston, FL
88 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:

Mike

I'm sorry, did you say something?

there's something about your post I find distracting

I don't think a dye would help only because of where it seems to be coming from is kind off hidden away. I can see where it pools and the coolant being so green it shows up very clearly.

Thanks for the input and the diversion.
Posted on: 2009/4/17 22:24

BillH Re: Head Gasket Replacement
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:

Mike

Yea, Tracerline, Summit p/n TRL-TP-1121 but it's a $60 kit &
probably way more than LRC needs.
Posted on: 2009/4/18 0:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.