Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C3
Abbreviation for the 3rd generation of Corvettes built from 1968-1982....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

mseven One of the best mods to date
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Aside from everything else I've done to the car, this is one of the best mods.........and for the purists, one more way to de-value a corvette, LOL
should have the new leather "boot" back today to finish the details
[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/1zl9c2w.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/245yhpe.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2009/7/24 10:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Curtis1974 Re: One of the best mods to date
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Looks great!
Posted on: 2009/7/24 10:28

88BlackZ51 Re: One of the best mods to date
Senior Guru
481 Posts

is that a pink button or red? how's the motor running?

your driver's seat looks in good shape. how many miles on the car?
Posted on: 2009/7/24 10:38

Woodstock Re: One of the best mods to date
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

Looks like someone stabbed your center console with a knife, but what is it good for, to manually control lock up?
Posted on: 2009/7/24 11:50

mseven Re: One of the best mods to date
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Quote:
88BlackZ51 wrote: is that a pink button or red? how's the motor running? your driver's seat looks in good shape. how many miles on the car?

The button is red and is for line loc, nitrous will be through a controller. The car now has 61000 on it. The motor is running very well and feels strong.
Quote:
Woodstock wrote: Looks like someone stabbed your center console with a knife, but what is it good for, to manually control lock up?

hhhmmm, I will disregard the first part, however, when manual shifting an auto having postive shifting is importatnt.
Controlling lock up is set-up in the bin, but I also have an alternate switch for that purpose.
Posted on: 2009/7/24 22:36

BeachBum Re: One of the best mods to date
Master Guru
751 Posts

That looks good Mseven !!

Can you tell me more about it ? Where did you get it ? Cost ? Your opinion on the install difficulty ?
Posted on: 2009/7/24 22:47

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Hey Beach,
Thanks, I bought it from summit and it is a B&M magnum grip pro shifter (gate type shifter). It comes complete w/everything and paid 200. (think they are asking 226. now)While I have used a couple of ratchet shifters in the past I never liked not being able to get to neutral w/out going through the gears (full manual).
This car also has a full manual valve body so as you know 3-4 is a long way from neutral. The shifter works great and TCI makes a 4 speed reverse pattern plate (B&M does not) for the shifter (they sell the same one under their name).

I have installed quite a few shifters in the past and this one requires some work. After removing all stock stuff, I had to first make a steel plate to mount the shifter to, as the tunnel is not flat in that area (and still using 3 of the stock mounting holes). Because of the tunnel shape itself the angle of the cable from the shifter doesn't allow just a hole but rather a longer type hole(1"wide x 3" long). This is needed so that the cable is not bound on the tunnel. It then required me to fab a type of formed allum. plate/with seal for the cable.

It's hard to say about diffuclty level, as it's not like it's hard work, it's just tedious having to mock it up for clearancing interior trim, tunnel, cable etc. (for the first time). Going up and back measuring, trim going in and out is time consuming. Working room is tight (typical corvette stuff)and I spent some time/work on it. Once I drove it with this set-up I instantly forgot all about the work ....was definitely worth it.
Posted on: 2009/7/24 23:13

Matatk Re: One of the best mods to date
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Wait a sec - I thought I was the best mod to date

What is done to your trans? Details?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/7/25 1:22

BeachBum Re: One of the best mods to date
Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

mseven wrote:
Hey Beach,
Thanks, I bought it from summit and it is a B&M magnum grip pro shifter (gate type shifter). It comes complete w/everything and paid 200. (think they are asking 226. now)While I have used a couple of ratchet shifters in the past I never liked not being able to get to neutral w/out going through the gears (full manual).
This car also has a full manual valve body so as you know 3-4 is a long way from neutral. The shifter works great and TCI makes a 4 speed reverse pattern plate (B&M does not) for the shifter (they sell the same one under their name).

I have installed quite a few shifters in the past and this one requires some work. After removing all stock stuff, I had to first make a steel plate to mount the shifter to, as the tunnel is not flat in that area (and still using 3 of the stock mounting holes). Because of the tunnel shape itself the angle of the cable from the shifter doesn't allow just a hole but rather a longer type hole(1"wide x 3" long). This is needed so that the cable is not bound on the tunnel. It then required me to fab a type of formed allum. plate/with seal for the cable.

It's hard to say about diffuclty level, as it's not like it's hard work, it's just tedious having to mock it up for clearancing interior trim, tunnel, cable etc. (for the first time). Going up and back measuring, trim going in and out is time consuming. Working room is tight (typical corvette stuff)and I spent some time/work on it. Once I drove it with this set-up I instantly forgot all about the work ....was definitely worth it.

Interesting.

Thanks for the information..... I'm going to be looking real closely at a new shifters before too long. Not sure what direction I am going to go, but I know its going to be away from the stock shifter.
Posted on: 2009/7/25 3:31

Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Quote:
Matatk wrote: Wait a sec - I thought I was the best mod to date What is done to your trans? Details?
Matthew

Didn't realize that you are now a mod. over here...cool,
relatively recent acquired status?..
As to the trans, pretty much everything you can do to a 700r less changing the planetary set. Full manual valve body, Pete K. converter (8 1.2" or 9 can't remember exactly) Beast shell, better bearings, pump, input/output shafts, wide band, etc.etc.
Quote:
Beach wrote: Interesting. Thanks for the information..... I'm going to be looking real closely at a new shifters before too long. Not sure what direction I am going to go, but I know its going to be away from the stock shifter.

No problem, as you know the actual choice of style in a shifter is a just a "taste" thing. I personally have always preferred gate types. Which ever choice of style, mega shifter, hammer, pro ratchet, gate etc. or mfg.'s such as, B&M, Hurst, TCI, liberty etc., making a plate and general installation will stay the same. From looking at all of them they appear to be made by the same mfg. (B&M/Hurst ??)
Aside from your busy work schedule, I think you will find this to be worth the time and effort involved.
Posted on: 2009/7/25 13:12

dan0617 Re: One of the best mods to date
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I like the line lock there. I have my button switch for mine on the tilt wheel lever. I like your setup.

I'm thinking of a manual reverse pattern valvebody in the future, can't afford anything else right now. My governor is set up now and car shifts automatically for normal driving and for WOT. I don't like the low part throttle shift points and haven't found a way, no matter how much I've played with the governor, to raise them much. Also, my WOT shift points are much lower N/A in order for them to be spot on when spraying. I don't like that either.

Thanks for the info on here, I'm going to save this thread for future use and I might pick your brain some more when I get ready to buy a new valvebody and shifter.
Posted on: 2009/7/25 15:10

iCorvette Re: One of the best mods to date
Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

mseven wrote:
Aside from everything else I've done to the car, this is one of the best mods.........and for the purists, one more way to de-value a corvette, LOL
should have the new leather "boot" back today to finish the details
[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/1zl9c2w.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/245yhpe.jpg[/IMG]

cool....
Posted on: 2009/7/25 19:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.