Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vette
Shorthand notation for Corvette. See also vert and vertte. Usually preceeded by a "'", as in 'vette....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
Off Topic  >  H1N1
 Register To Post

Vetron87 H1N1
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Schools in South Bend are aggressive towards H1N1 Virus...an 11 year old girl died last week from complications of the H1N1. I have 2 large bottles Re-Juv-Nal and have to spray door handles machines and keyboards.. Plus have to make sure each one of my students use hand sanitizer before they leave my wood shop.
Wow just noticed Re-Juv-Nal does not react kindly to cast parts. i.e. table saw.Abs.rate today is @ 33%.. We now have hand sanitizers @ gas pumps and shopping carts.
Posted on: 2009/10/12 14:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: H1N1
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

A lot of folks make light of H1N1, but it is very sad to hear of kids succumbing to it
Posted on: 2009/10/12 14:50

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

CentralCoaster Re: H1N1
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Sad, but I think the sensationalism on the news causes more deaths by tripping on their way to find the remote to change the channel.
Posted on: 2009/10/12 17:56

Matatk Re: H1N1
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Sad, but I think the sensationalism on the news causes more deaths by tripping on their way to find the remote to change the channel.

I don't know about that. My wife is a nurse and according to the infectious disease doctors at the hospital this is going to be pretty serious this year.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm

matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/12 18:19

Vetron87 Re: H1N1
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Media has caused parents to panic.. Sensationalism linked with not knowing the facts and common sense.. this has really become a major concern for our staff, cover you fu##$%^ mouth when you cough... remember the stuff we learned in kindergarten??? Does'nt seem to apply anymore!!!! Had a kid throw up last class period, instead of going to the bathroom he waits and barfs in the hallway, of course that started the chain reaction of lunch time vomit fest!!! Holy shit we had pizza today and apple sauce, you should see it at various stages of digestion!!!
Posted on: 2009/10/12 18:20

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Damn another student puked!!!! I'm glad its the end of the school day!!This time in the wood shop///saw dust works wonders!! All this vomit is getting me hungry for chinese
Posted on: 2009/10/12 18:38

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

My vocational welding class was canceled tonight!! 21 students, 2 show the rest call in ill... this is not your typical class.. there are jobs waiting for them!!! Can not intro TIG without full class.. Yep flu season is here!!! becareful guys... this bug will bite you in the ass!!!!
Posted on: 2009/10/13 0:25

teebee Re: H1N1
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12375 Posts

Not so sure this isn't what I have. For me it's been pretty mild. We have a ton of kids out as well. Our Superintendent has said he won't close school because of H1N1. His reasoning is too many of the kids won't stay home, go out and infect outside (of school) populace and it would spread faster throughout the county. This way the kids who get it bad stay home, and once they get over it they can come back. I can kind of see his thought process, but not sure it will hold water. My wife is also an RN and the county health dept administrator...she says it's nothing to take lightly. The Doctors offices aren't even testing for it anymore, they say "If you are sick, stay home".
Posted on: 2009/10/13 1:03

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12375 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Damn another student puked!!!! I'm glad its the end of the school day!!This time in the wood shop///saw dust works wonders!! All this vomit is getting me hungry for chinese

You know Ron, the wife and I were both pretty hungry for Chinese food this weekend......I think I lost my appetite for it after reading your post. :LOL
Posted on: 2009/10/13 1:05

Resized Image

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12375 Posts

Friday I was talking to a kid, helping him with drawing a plan for his required project when he calmly looks at me and says "May I go to the bathroom?" Me, "Yea, why?" Him "I think I'm going to throw up." Me, kind of excited "Well, heck yes, go to the bathroom, I don't want you throwing up in here."

When he comes back "Did you throw up?" "Yes, a little. "Did you make it to toilet?" "Yes." "Do you need to go home?" "No, I'll be OK." "Well, if you need to go again....don't ask, just go. You can tell me when you get back"
Posted on: 2009/10/13 1:14

Resized Image

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

The majority of our kids have no health insurance!! Poverty will show its ugly head when illness hits!! Our Supt. won't close schools either! Ironic situation occurs when:.. we have a 6 abs/semester and no credit for class.. if a kid gets sick without insurance/no doctor/no abs.waiver form. Student can get ill be out for 6 days and fail without doctors excuse. Parents will not take their kids to the doctor. Vicious cycle...age 16 and older your on your own!!! Thats why these vocational classes @ night are so important!!! give them a skill!! get a job..Cycle of poverty.. as much as I would like to retire! there is not enough of us old timers left to teach the skill trades!! Thats why I blog CG and work on my car hobby seems to take pressure off and stress relief.. OMG I went nuts again!!
Posted on: 2009/10/13 1:21

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Yea I've been feeling like I got in a gang fight and my gang did'nt show up, or I got in a hatchet fight and lost! First time today I felt light headed and weak! Damn!!!Could of been the barfing!
Posted on: 2009/10/13 1:30

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12375 Posts

We have a high percentage of kids that way. I feel for you, Ron. And I know, us old timers are all that's left, if/when we get out, it's only going to get worse.
Posted on: 2009/10/13 1:31

Resized Image

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Tom I push the envelope with our school board!! They want a tech school/computer based/environmetal courses..I'm still pushing to increase our pressence in the vocational area (auto,welding,woods,electrical, plumbing and computer engineering). After the Sale of the Hummer(built in Mishawaka IN) to the Chinese all the tech skills in the world would not help! Humvee is separate from the GM H2 and H3. H2 is built next to the Humvee line. AM General(Humvee) needs welders, electicians and computer CAD people and we can not supply them with qualified ready to work students.
Posted on: 2009/10/13 1:50

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Exactly.

I think the administrators fail to realize that not all of these kids are going to graduate college with engineering or computer degrees and be working for HP. There simply isn't demand for it.

They need classes for wood shop, cooking, and hole digging.
Posted on: 2009/10/14 19:53

BillH Re: H1N1
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Hole Digging 101?

If you had HD 101, TeeBee's enviromental studies witch would just send a group over to do reports on how you're damaging the earth's surface.

Viva the Sierra Club.
Posted on: 2009/10/14 19:58

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

We had "hole digging" in the 70'sIntro to Heavy Equipment. It really did well!! 2 year course/math intense for excavation!! Ron
Posted on: 2009/10/14 22:36

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
We had "hole digging" in the 70'sIntro to Heavy Equipment. It really did well!! 2 year course/math intense for excavation!! Ron

I think playing with heavy equipment is a kick in the ass, borrowed a backhoe for 2 days last year to put in a circular drive.

My first job out fo college was as a design engineer for Ingersol-Rand's Compaction Div. I did design work on those big vibrating road rollers.
Posted on: 2009/10/14 23:04

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

We were required to take a welding class in college. Wish we had that in high school. They closed the metal shop at my high school several before I went there because I guess they wanted to spend their budget elsewhere.
Posted on: 2009/10/14 23:05

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

To operate my wood shop only, our electric bill is 1,200./month. We once had metal shop, welding, foundry, graphic arts, woods, auto shop, electronics, and drafting. Now just me! Wood shop, we lost the auto shop 4 years ago, for Nut/Well..Nutrition and Wellness.
Posted on: 2009/10/14 23:12

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

I think playing with heavy equipment is a kick in the ass, borrowed a backhoe for 2 days last year to put in a circular drive.

My first job out fo college was as a design engineer for Ingersol-Rand's Compaction Div. I did design work on those big vibrating road rollers.

Bill your right this heavy equip was a kick in the ass class. We even had Intro to Over the Road Trucking. But the Supt. at the time! came from wealth who never worked a day in his life thought all of our kids should go to Notre Dame.How do you spell dumbass!!! Ron
Posted on: 2009/10/14 23:19

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

Bill your right this heavy equip was a kick in the ass class. We even had Intro to Over the Road Trucking. But the Supt. at the time! came from wealth who never worked a day in his life thought all of our kids should go to Notre Dame.How do you spell dumbass!!! Ron

Yea, that's nuts. People in the trades can make very decent money if they have any ambition.

Hell, just go to a weld shop to have something small welded!

Half the people on the highway can't even change a flat tire.
Posted on: 2009/10/15 0:16

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12375 Posts

I have no idea what it costs to run my shop /month..I'm sure it would be scary. We still offer Woodworking, drafting, welding, auto mech (very scaled back). The State BOE is just as responsible for the deterioration of Vocational type classes as the local BOE. I fight all the time with our admin and counselors that they are pushing for everyone to get a "Regents" diploma. What this is, is baasically a course of study that bypasses the vocational classes. The idea of the "Regents" was that if the student would receive a "regents they would without question be accepted into any of the "Regent" schools (ie Kansas State U, Kansas U, Wichita State U, Fort Hays State U...state run Universities). Well my contention is this, and backed up by facts, You don't have to have a "Regents" diploma to attend a "Regent" school. One way is finish in the top 10% of the class or take the ACT and receive a 22 (36 is perfect)...or last but not least show them that you have the cash...they won't turn you down.

80% of our kids who graduate from our school go on to a state school and a majority don't make it past the first year, and end up in a vocational area or training. And if they have that special "Regents" Diploma, they have not had one course that will help prepare them.

OK I'll get off my soapbox....
Posted on: 2009/10/15 1:36

Resized Image

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
for Nut/Well..Nutrition and Wellness.

And are the kids getting any less fat year after year?

They need to drop that wellness crap and put them in some financial management classes. Otherwise our future is going to be full of broke ass parasites that will never die.
Posted on: 2009/10/15 3:31

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Half the people on the highway can't even change a flat tire.

Half? I'd say more like 80 percent around here.
Posted on: 2009/10/15 3:32

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:

a majority don't make it past the first year, and end up in a vocational area or training. And if they have that special "Regents" Diploma, they have not had one course that will help prepare them.

Working with your hands is soooo 19th century.

They could be real estate agents! Errr.. market sucks.

How about a car salesman? Oh nevermind.

So in summary, swine flu is necessary to help kill off the weak and make a brighter future for the rest of the kids.
Posted on: 2009/10/15 3:36

TommyT-Bone Re: H1N1
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33776 Posts

This thread delivers.
Posted on: 2009/10/16 0:32

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Yea Tom we kinda got carried away on this one.
Posted on: 2009/10/16 0:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.