Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
309 user(s) are online (254 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  HUD
HEADS UP DISPLAY. A DIGITAL PROJECTED DISPLAY ON INSIDE OF WINDSHIELD CONTAINING VEHICLE INFO SUCH AS SPEED, ENGINE TEMP, RPM, ETC. FOR DRIVER INFOR...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham What part of "Unlimited Data plan" was it that confused them?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Watch out AT&T: Operation Chokehold is coming

by Michael Grothaus (RSS feed) on Dec 15th 2009 at 7:45AM

After Ralph de la Vega, chief executive of AT&T Mobility, stated earlier this week that he wants iPhone users to limit their data usage the web exploded with anger. The New York Times sided with AT&T, but others thought that was bogus. Now Fake Steve Jobs is getting in on the action. Fake Steve is telling iPhone users to go crazy with their data usage this Friday, December 18, to teach De La Vega a lesson in for trying to stifle his customers contract-given-rights for unlimited data usage.

Subject: Operation Chokehold On Friday, December 18, at noon Pacific time, we will attempt to overwhelm the AT&T data network and bring it to its knees. The goal is to have every iPhone user (or as many as we can) turn on a data intensive app and run that app for one solid hour. Send the message to AT&T that we are sick of their substandard network and sick of their abusive comments. The idea is we'll create a digital flash mob. We're calling it in Operation Chokehold. Join us and speak truth to power!

I'm in the UK where we have multiple providers to choose from (as many countries do), but I can understand the frustration US users have with being limited to only one carrier with poor network performance and then being lectured about their data usage. So TUAW readers. What's it gonna be? You going to do a little choking come Friday? Watch out AT&T: Operation Chokehold is coming (16 December 2009)

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/12/15/watch- ... tion-chokehold-is-coming/
Posted on: 2009/12/21 18:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

vetteblondie Re: What part of "Unlimited Data plan" was it that confused them?
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

Guess I don't get out much, first I've heard of it.
I'll be happy when they take note from other companies and reduce their plans. Other people I know on other networks who use similar phones with similar apps, etc., have the same plan as I do for half the price.
Posted on: 2009/12/21 19:18

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

CentralCoaster Re: What part of "Unlimited Data plan" was it that confused them?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what do these AT&T users expect to achieve by overwhelming the network?

Crash it and then bitch about it? Incur more costs to AT&T? It was never designed for everyone to download at the same time. Kinda like the plumbing in your neighborhood wasn't designed for everyone to flush at the same time.

If they want AT&T to provide more infrastructure, it's going to show up on their bill.

Vote with your wallet.
Posted on: 2009/12/22 1:38

Jeffvette Re: What part of "Unlimited Data plan" was it that confused them?
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

AT&T promised the world when it signed the contract with Apple. Nobody bitches about the iPhone. It's the service issues with AT&T. The combination of dropped calls, lack of coverage outside of large metropolitan cities. When you sign the contract you are not told any of this. One of things you were promised was unlimited download. Now you signed a contract, and now they want to change it on you because they did not realize there was going to be a problem.

Screw AT&T, and well all cell phone companies as well.
Posted on: 2009/12/22 1:56

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

On top of all that, here in Jonesboro, when the newer iPhone model came out, your bill went up $5. Mine didn't as I still have my original one. But I asked when I thought about upgrading why the extra $5 cost? I was told it was because the way the phone operates, net based and it costs more. Something about the 3-G stuff. BUT - We are still on the old Edge network here - we dont' even have 3-G but those here that purchased iPhones and plans after the original have to pay the extra fee anyway.
Posted on: 2009/12/22 2:06

Resized Image

Mekanic Re: What part of "Unlimited Data plan" was it that confused them?
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I'M IN!!!

But I have verizon...

Suck my map!!
Posted on: 2009/12/22 3:37

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Matatk Re: What part of "Unlimited Data plan" was it that confused them?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

There were rumors a while back that apple is considering going with verizon. I don't know as I don't have or want an iphone. But we'll be switching from att to verizon in March when our contract runs out because att's service sucks.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/12/22 3:57

Durango_Boy Re: What part of "Unlimited Data plan" was it that confused them?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I'm waiting to get an iPhone. I want to see if their contract with AT&T ends and they open the phone to any provider that can offer 3-G speed internet.

Either that or I'll get a phone like a Blackberry Storm II that has WiFi. Maybe an HTC Touch?
Posted on: 2009/12/22 4:08

CasetheCorvetteman Re: What part of "Unlimited Data plan" was it that confused them?
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Im still using a phone that will only do basic text messages and voice calls. Id still be on analog if i could!! We havent had analog phones here since September 2000, they were slowly phazed out starting in the cities from about late 1996. Since 2000, everything has been GSM digital which kicked off over here in about 1992, up til about 18 months or more ago when the 3G network was switched on.
Posted on: 2009/12/22 4:22

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

I love my iPhone, problem with switching from ATT here is that virtually everyone here uses ATT. It's the best for this area so far. And if I used a different network, I'd have to pick a very high minute plan as I would not have the benefit of mobile to mobile like I do now.
Posted on: 2009/12/22 5:44

Resized Image

CasetheCorvetteman Re: What part of "Unlimited Data plan" was it that confused them?
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

If you were in Australia, and you wanted all that rubish, it would cost you around $30-$99 AUD a month. Some people love it, i just cant justify that kind of money for something you can easily live without. Could pay off alot of debt with that kind of money!!

I currently pay $10 a month, for that, i get the first $25 worth of calls and SMS for free, and my call rate is 10cents per 60 seconds with no flag fall. Bargain ;)
Posted on: 2009/12/22 10:33

CentralCoaster Re: What part of "Unlimited Data plan" was it that confused them?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The last phone plan I paid for was T-mobile, and I didn't have any contract. I would never buy into a phone contract if there's a chance I'll change my mind later. They give you incentives to lock you in. They want 2-year contracts now, and buy exclusive rights to the iPhone. And it works.

People paying for shit they don't use is what makes your fixed rate plan/gym membership/car insurance cheaper.

If those 3% of people using a crapload of data were charged per usage, the service could actually be cheaper for the other 97% of the customers. That 97% should be welcoming usage-based billing from AT&T.
Posted on: 2009/12/22 18:13

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

I agree with that mate yes, as far as i know over here they are all usage based, pay a certain amount to have a certain limit, pay abit more and get abit more etc...
Posted on: 2009/12/23 9:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.