Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
166 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sheet Molded Compound
Also known as SMC.

This is the stuff that all C4 Corvettes are made of.

It’s similar to fiberglass, but much more durable.

The only issu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Curtis1974 SYS?
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

I finally got the '95 out yesterday and went for a cold spin. After a few minutes of driving it I noticed on the speedo display that "SYS" would flash every now and then where I have the miles per gallon displayed. The car ran fine. There was a little hesitation in the battery when I fired it, but I figured that was because it had been awhile since it started. Any Ideas what this means?
Posted on: 2010/1/29 15:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

tjpreul Re: SYS?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

You have a code. You can put a jumper in to find out which one it is. There is a link in the tech to see which pins to jump. I can stop by this weekend if you are going to be home. The car knows you are going to sell it.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 16:25

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

VtVette Re: SYS?
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

This is a trouble code from your Central Control Module (or Body Control module). Here is a bunch more info:

DIAGNOSIS
The Central Control Module (CCM) uses the speedometer, odometer, and the trip monitor located on the instrument cluster to display information while in the diagnostic mode.

The speedometer is used to display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) (CCM, ABS/ARS and ECM), the odometer displays data, and the trip monitor indicates the system being tested and the test which is being performed. The buttons on the Driver Information Center (DIC) are used to send instructions to the CCM when in the diagnostic mode.

Unlike other vehicle electronic systems, such as ECM, SIR, etc., there is no specific "CCM" lamp to indicate a malfunction. A DTC-setting malfunction in any of the CCM-monitored systems is indicated by "SYS" (SYSTEM ERROR) flashing in the instrument cluster trip monitor. If a malfunction does not recur within 100 ignition cycles the CCM will automatically clear the DTC.

The "SYS" indicator will flash 3 times every 15 seconds while a current-DTC malfunction is present. An exception to the "SYS" malfunction indicator is that PASS-Key malfunctions (DTCs 51-53) will be indicated by the "SECURITY" lamp being illuminated without the "SYS" indicator flashing. If there is a Fuel Enable Data Stream (FEDs) malfunction (DTC 54), the "SECURITY" indicator and "SYS" indicator will flash together, to illustrate that the problem condition affects vehicle security.

DIAGNOSTIC MODE
To enter the diagnostic mode, ground (connect it to pin "A") pin "G" of the Data Link Connector (DLC) located under the right side of the dash, and turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position.

A = Ground
B = ECM Diagnostic
C = Ride Control Diagnostic
F = T.C.C (VIN P)
G = CCM Diagnostic
J = E&C Bus Data
K = SIR Diagnostic
L = SIR Serial Data
M = Serial Data
-------------
DLC connector --> |F| | |C|B|A|
|G| |J|K|L|M|
-------------

- Important: If the A/C fuse is blown, the CCM will not receive IGN 3 power and will not enter diagnostic mode. This condition should also be indicated by a DCT 16 being set.

After turning the ignition "ON", the CCM will display any DTCs and the module for which they apply is an automatic DTC sequence. The CCM is module 1, the ECM is module 4, the ABS/ASR EBTCM is module 9. During the automatic display sequence, each DTC is displayed for three seconds, followed by a one second pause before the next DTC is displayed. There is a three second pause between the DTC display sequence for each module. The end of the DTC list for each module is indicated by "---" being displayed in the speedometer. If there is a communications problem between the ECM or EBTCM and the CCM, the speedometer will display "Err" when the CCM is trying to communicate with the ECM or EBTCM.

- Important: The CCM will display "Err" when attempting to display ECM DTCs for the LT5 engine. CCM display and cleaning of ECM DTCs is available only for the LT1. Use the Tech 1 for ECM DTCs on LT5.

The particular module being interrogated is indicated on the trip monitor, and the DTCs are displayed on the speedometer. The speedometer also indicates if the DCT is a current DTC (malfunction present now) or history DTC (malfunction has occurred, but is not present now) with a "C" or an "H", respectively. All ECM and EBTCM DTCs will be displayed by the CCM as history DTCs, weather they are current or history. ** reference

When all DTCs have been displayed for all modules, the trip monitor will display 1.0 and the speedometer will be blank; this indicates the CCM is in the manual mode, waiting for input from the technician. At any time during the automatic DTC display sequence, the manual mode may be entered by pressing any button on the DIC.

MANUAL MODE
The manual mode can be entered as described previously, or will automatically be entered after the automatic DTC display sequence is complete.

When manual mode is entered, the speedometer will be blank, and the trip monitor will display "1.0", indicating that module "1" (the CCM) is ready for further instructions. The buttons on the DIC are used to control other systems and options as illustrated in Figure 4 (the Driver Information Center).

The indicator "--" will be displayed on the speedometer if the end or beginning of a list of malfunction DTC’s is reached (using the "Next Value" or "Previous Value" button). The "--" will also display if no DTC's are present for the module being checked.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 16:26

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed

1Fast04Vert Re: SYS?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

It is just a low battery. After driving for a while it might have recharged and quit flashing, if not put a charger on it.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 16:54

BillH Re: SYS?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
It is just a low battery. After driving for a while it might have recharged and quit flashing, if not put a charger on it.

Yea, I've seen this too on mine.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 17:12

shakedown067 Re: SYS?
Senior Guru
119 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:

I agree too. I'd put it on a charger just to make sure the ALT isn't overworking.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 17:40

Curtis1974 Re: SYS?
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

I put the float charger on it this afternoon so I'll check it tomorrow when I get it out.

Thanks everyone.

Tyler, if that doesn't fix it I'll let you know and if you have time maybe we can hook up on Saturday. Thanks man! I'm going more attached to the C4 so I may just hold on to it after all.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 18:16

BrianCunningham Re: SYS?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

on the '95's you can pull the code up on the dash, no reader needed

here's how

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff ... 20Cunningham/ccm%20codes/
Posted on: 2010/1/29 18:28

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Thanks Brian. I'll try that here after while. Good to know.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 18:36

Andrew Re: SYS?
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:

Yep, if the volts get to a certain point, it will flash. I guess it thinks the alternator is going bad or something. After letting my car sit for the last 3 months, it did the same thing as you described. After driving about 10 minutes, stopped, got some fuel, and no more flashing light. I guess the battery tender needs to be moved from my lawn mower over to the C4!

Also, just PM'd you.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 21:31

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Did the charger take care of the problem.
Posted on: 2010/1/30 22:32

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

crash Re: SYS?
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

my 93 did the same thing when the battery was going bad put in new battery problem solved
Posted on: 2010/2/1 17:18

pr0zac Re: SYS?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

shakedown067 wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:

I agree too. I'd put it on a charger just to make sure the ALT isn't overworking.
its a 145 amp alternator.. it will be alright.
Posted on: 2010/2/1 18:25

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Sorry for the late response. It's just been awhile before I could check the car. Came home today, pulled the float charger off, car fired right up with no hesitation. Drove the car for about 5 miles an no more "SYS".

However, I seem to have another issue. At first the car had an erratic idle. That obviously went away when I was driving it. However, the first stop light I stopped at the erratic idle came back and then the "service engine soon" light came on. I really can't tell if it's fuel related or ignition. Maybe Opti? Anymore advice???
Posted on: 2010/2/3 22:28

BillH Re: SYS?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

If the SES lite is on, you gotta pull the codes, Curtis.
Posted on: 2010/2/3 23:13

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
If the SES lite is on, you gotta pull the codes, Curtis.

10-4 Bill. I'll do that when I get another free minute next week. Thanks.
Posted on: 2010/2/4 0:07

Pcolt94 Re: SYS?
Guru Newb
Orlando
31 Posts

Quote:

VtVette wrote:
This is a trouble code from your Central Control Module (or Body Control module). Here is a bunch more info:

DIAGNOSIS
The Central Control Module (CCM) uses the speedometer, odometer, and the trip monitor located on the instrument cluster to display information while in the diagnostic mode.

The speedometer is used to display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) (CCM, ABS/ARS and ECM), the odometer displays data, and the trip monitor indicates the system being tested and the test which is being performed. The buttons on the Driver Information Center (DIC) are used to send instructions to the CCM when in the diagnostic mode.

Unlike other vehicle electronic systems, such as ECM, SIR, etc., there is no specific "CCM" lamp to indicate a malfunction. A DTC-setting malfunction in any of the CCM-monitored systems is indicated by "SYS" (SYSTEM ERROR) flashing in the instrument cluster trip monitor. If a malfunction does not recur within 100 ignition cycles the CCM will automatically clear the DTC.

The "SYS" indicator will flash 3 times every 15 seconds while a current-DTC malfunction is present. An exception to the "SYS" malfunction indicator is that PASS-Key malfunctions (DTCs 51-53) will be indicated by the "SECURITY" lamp being illuminated without the "SYS" indicator flashing. If there is a Fuel Enable Data Stream (FEDs) malfunction (DTC 54), the "SECURITY" indicator and "SYS" indicator will flash together, to illustrate that the problem condition affects vehicle security.

DIAGNOSTIC MODE
To enter the diagnostic mode, ground (connect it to pin "A") pin "G" of the Data Link Connector (DLC) located under the right side of the dash, and turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position.

A = Ground
B = ECM Diagnostic
C = Ride Control Diagnostic
F = T.C.C (VIN P)
G = CCM Diagnostic
J = E&C Bus Data
K = SIR Diagnostic
L = SIR Serial Data
M = Serial Data
-------------
DLC connector --> |F| | |C|B|A|
|G| |J|K|L|M|
-------------

- Important: If the A/C fuse is blown, the CCM will not receive IGN 3 power and will not enter diagnostic mode. This condition should also be indicated by a DCT 16 being set.

After turning the ignition "ON", the CCM will display any DTCs and the module for which they apply is an automatic DTC sequence. The CCM is module 1, the ECM is module 4, the ABS/ASR EBTCM is module 9. During the automatic display sequence, each DTC is displayed for three seconds, followed by a one second pause before the next DTC is displayed. There is a three second pause between the DTC display sequence for each module. The end of the DTC list for each module is indicated by "---" being displayed in the speedometer. If there is a communications problem between the ECM or EBTCM and the CCM, the speedometer will display "Err" when the CCM is trying to communicate with the ECM or EBTCM.

- Important: The CCM will display "Err" when attempting to display ECM DTCs for the LT5 engine. CCM display and cleaning of ECM DTCs is available only for the LT1. Use the Tech 1 for ECM DTCs on LT5.

The particular module being interrogated is indicated on the trip monitor, and the DTCs are displayed on the speedometer. The speedometer also indicates if the DCT is a current DTC (malfunction present now) or history DTC (malfunction has occurred, but is not present now) with a "C" or an "H", respectively. All ECM and EBTCM DTCs will be displayed by the CCM as history DTCs, weather they are current or history. ** reference

When all DTCs have been displayed for all modules, the trip monitor will display 1.0 and the speedometer will be blank; this indicates the CCM is in the manual mode, waiting for input from the technician. At any time during the automatic DTC display sequence, the manual mode may be entered by pressing any button on the DIC.

MANUAL MODE
The manual mode can be entered as described previously, or will automatically be entered after the automatic DTC display sequence is complete.

When manual mode is entered, the speedometer will be blank, and the trip monitor will display "1.0", indicating that module "1" (the CCM) is ready for further instructions. The buttons on the DIC are used to control other systems and options as illustrated in Figure 4 (the Driver Information Center).

The indicator "--" will be displayed on the speedometer if the end or beginning of a list of malfunction DTC’s is reached (using the "Next Value" or "Previous Value" button). The "--" will also display if no DTC's are present for the module being checked.

This is a good post but don’t agree with the part (DIAGNOSTIC MODE) I have bolded. This ALDL connector configuration is for 93 and earlier. The 94-95 has the 16 pin OBD2 connector. Of course it is still OBD1 protocol.

Check out the bottom of this link for the connector configuration and some additional info. Basically pins 4 & 12 get connected to extract the codes.

http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

Probably after sitting for awhile the battery was low and you got a displayed SYS. This is not uncommon but after charging battery up if problem still persists, may need to replace the battery.

Of course check for codes first.
Posted on: 2010/2/11 17:10

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Good link, the diagrams make it easier than trying to read the numbers on the plug. To make thing easier when I bought my car I got a set of ALDL plugs the owner had bought from Gordon. I was going to take them to Curt, but they only go to 93. When I looked in the book the set from 94-96 was separate.
Posted on: 2010/2/12 0:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.