Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
231 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98 Intake Bolt Sizes
This is data compiled by CentralCoaster. It lists all the bolt sizes for a stock L98 intake manifold and some of the attachments.

These are commo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Friends of Bill W. [PR&C]
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33764 Posts

Took multiple tries but out of desperation this book finally got some traction in my life and helped me to change. It works for some and doesn't work for others. It's like an FSM for drunks and addicts. If anybody faces problems with alcoholism or addiction I strongly recommend you seek help. Most medical facilities will guide you in this direction. Unless you are in need of a medical detox your local chapters of AA and NA are there to help. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The rooms are a great place to get a cup of coffee.

click

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_fea_lifestyles_aa_s_big_book
Posted on: 2010/9/30 10:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

cuisinartvette Re: Friends of Bill W. [PR&C]
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Tommy went to those for years back in the early 90s it helped. Seemed I couldnt walk out the front door without getting locked up lol. Eventually stopped attending as I felt the crowd started hating if you did something with your life, or youd relapse if you didnt let them (more drunks) run your life...maybe its different where you are

Good place to start if you are really having a problem stopping or staying stopped. If I can say get and offer what you can in the halls but dont bring them to your home or let them too far in your personal life even if they have time. Hate to sound bad but learned lessons too many times.

Some become more alert thieves thats all lol

Upon doing some cleaning I found a big book printed a few decades ago was the first or 2nd edition, might just pass it along if youre in need just ask
Posted on: 2010/9/30 13:28

Vetron87 Re: Friends of Bill W. [PR&C]
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Took multiple tries but out of desperation this book finally got some traction in my life and helped me to change. It works for some and doesn't work for others. It's like an FSM for drunks and addicts. If anybody faces problems with alcoholism or addiction I strongly recommend you seek help. Most medical facilities will guide you in this direction. Unless you are in need of a medical detox your local chapters of AA and NA are there to help. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The rooms are a great place to get a cup of coffee.

click

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_fea_lifestyles_aa_s_big_book

My Dad and Mom were helped by AA later in their lives, they enabled each other to abuse alcohol. I remember the book.
Their constant drinking while driving (back in the 50's) caused the death of my sister. The steel dash of a 55 Buick is no match for a 6 years olds head and neck she died instantly and I suffered a broken arm and half bitten off tongue. She was 6, I was 5. I think my Dad drank because of WW2 and my Mom because of my Dad. Vicious cycle...thats maybe why I relate well with my students coming from abusive homes where alcohol is a factor.
Don't get me wrong they were good people just had some issues that they thought could be buffered with alcohol.
They were so self involved with self pity and remorse, they never reacted to me going to Vietnam..Mom just said that she would make sure that I was buried next to my sister if killed. Great feeling!
Posted on: 2010/9/30 13:33

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

On a personal note! I almost got caught up with the alcohol scene in the Navy. The constant stress of the missions and dealing with non trained Gov't agency spooks left me wanting relief. A bullet to the head was easy and the pain would only last a second or two. Everybody drank, except my TEAM yea a few beers now and then but never anything stupid, and no we weren't pussys!!! If we lost our inhabitions we were dangerous as a group! we were constantly being reminded of that during leave. After an "outing" in Laos I began drinking Jack D and finally felt some relief and for an instant I didn't care and life was good. That was short lived when our base was attacked and the group went on a killing spree of NVA and VC. Problem was I didn't remember it. I got a Navy Cross for that. I think children of alcoholics may have a predisposition to drinking. Never drank to that extent ever again.
Posted on: 2010/9/30 13:56

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Opps maybe too much info. Sorry about that guys. I'm really a nice guy!
Posted on: 2010/9/30 14:32

Ultraman Re: Friends of Bill W. [PR&C]
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14751 Posts

Ron we know you are a nice guy........I think? Don't we guys? What I am thankful for is your service and what you had to go through, it was hell on earth and many had to get relief where they could. I have always thought how the WWII men and women had very little in the way of working through the horrors that they did. No counsuling, no medicin.
My Dad choose the Ministry and became a missionary to try and offset the things he had seen and done as a B17 bomber pilot. I can still remember being scared by his bad dreams when I was little. So for many alcohol became their friend but others paid that price as did your sister and you. I am sorry for that. I am glad you did not follow in their footsteps.

Tell Erin to hurry up and get home so we can see some pics of that Z car.
Posted on: 2010/9/30 15:37

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

TommyT-Bone Re: Friends of Bill W. [PR&C]
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33764 Posts

Ya Rons ..... I'm a little too independent to be pigeon holed by any group (except this one). I went to meetings for about 4 years. I'm one of those dry drunks now. Just sayin, I know I wouldn't have stopped without the help of AA and The Big Book. I know what you mean when you say the bouts with law enforcement start getting more frequent. Drinking can get to be a big problem real fast. By the way, JD Black with beer chasers were my beverages of choice. Mean combination.
Posted on: 2010/9/30 15:37

pianoguy Re: Friends of Bill W. [PR&C]
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Wow, so sorry about your sister, Ron

My mother was a functioning alcoholic - I guess watching her always kept me on my toes, not that I haven't done plenty of stupid things.
Posted on: 2010/9/30 15:52

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

bogus Re: Friends of Bill W. [PR&C]
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have been blessed to not have addiction in the family.

Sure, I spent a major part of my 20s and 30s getting wasted, but that phase passed and life moved on.

I somehow passed through that phase without a single DUI or tragic wreck... still figuring out how that happened!!!

For ppl addicted, I cannot imagine... it is hard enough for me to be consistant with diet; if I had a drug to deal with, yuck.

And for those that have succeeded in going dry, props to you. It takes a lot to a) decide, b) do it, and c) stick to it.

The little "cheers" smiley would be silly... so lets use the party one instead!

Posted on: 2010/9/30 16:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

My mother was a functioning alcoholic - I guess watching her always kept me on my toes, not that I haven't done plenty of stupid things.

Thanks! Its Ok.. it was a long time ago! I'm told I have a guardian angle but I think I scared the crap out of it! Everything is great! loving wife a fantastic daughter a dog a cat, and a set keys from some prick last Saturday night.
Posted on: 2010/9/30 16:34

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

Thats what my parents were! functioning alcoholics and drunk by 7pm every night. I learned a valuable lesson from them of what not to do with my life!
On the brighterside I love chocolate milk and warm chocolate chip cookies
Posted on: 2010/9/30 16:53

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33764 Posts

People are funny about addictions. Some say Why don't you just stop? If only it was that easy. There are all kinds of addictions too. Food, no food, money, exercise, sex. I guess I get my fix now with cars, house, boat and helping to make money. It's not as hard on my liver but I never seem to have enough time to thoroughly enjoy them. Oh well. I'll keep on trying till I get it right.
Posted on: 2010/9/30 18:13

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33764 Posts

Hey !!! .........Where's BillH? He must be working on the garage again.
Posted on: 2010/9/30 18:16

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Addicted to his garage....
Posted on: 2010/9/30 18:20

BillH Re: Friends of Bill W. [PR&C]
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Addicted to his garage....

Pftt, it's 11:30, I was on for a half hour this a.m., put primer on the house siding where I had a water leak, went grocery shopping, cleaned another corner of the garage, painted over the primer on the siding, and already had lunch.

Aaaaaaaa but no beer.

This afternoon, I want to finish up a camera mount that shows the pedals in the C4.
Or I might take a nap.
Posted on: 2010/9/30 18:36

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
There are all kinds of addictions too.

Yea, Guru addictions.
Music Minute addictions.
Corvette addictions.
The most expensive one for me - Racing addiction.

We used to drink a shitload of beer when we went to the Indy car races, the Indy 500 and especially the F1 races at Watkins Glen.

We used to go to the bars a lot too, foosball & pool.

But, it was really nuts when I got into Corporate America, in the 80's & 90's meetings at country clubs with open bars every nite, expensive accounts, etc. It easy to keep drinking cause everybody was and it was always free.
This group was absoutely crazy.

Now, I usually have a beer or 2 with dinner most nites, it's very rare that I'll have 3 beers in a nite.

I don't drink wine any more cause of the expense account thing where I was only enjoying the really expensive wine.

Christmas 5 years ago, I decided I wanted a Bloody Mary, bought a bottle of vodka, had one Mary. the bottle's still sitting on top of the fridge with one shot out of it, kinda dusty.
Posted on: 2010/9/30 19:00

bobges Re: Friends of Bill W. [PR&C]
Senior Guru
Bushkill PA
254 Posts

Friend of Bill here, I got sober in 91, and a 91 Vette to remind me. Stick with it and it will work
Posted on: 2010/9/30 19:44

pianoguy Re: Friends of Bill W. [PR&C]
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Christmas 5 years ago, I decided I wanted a Bloody Mary, bought a bottle of vodka, had one Mary. the bottle's still sitting on top of the fridge with one shot out of it, kinda dusty.

Hell, I have a bottle of whiskey that belonged to my mother - it was almost full when she passed away back in 1993. I have a little snort of it every year on her birthday.
Posted on: 2010/10/1 0:17

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

Hell, I have a bottle of whiskey that belonged to my mother - it was almost full when she passed away back in 1993. I have a little snort of it every year on her birthday.

Cool.
The vodka doesn't seem to be going down unless it's evaporating thru the glass.
Posted on: 2010/10/1 0:33

teebee Re: Friends of Bill W. [PR&C]
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12371 Posts

I never really was much of a drinker, smoker or any other vice. Not that I didn't have the opportunities, just never felt like that was the appropriate outlet. My dad, a WWII vet, never drank around us, Mom didn't either. Older brother, younger brother both had issues with most things....me, I felt like I could do more with the money I made rather than drink it or smoke it up. I applaud each of you who have not had issues with those vices and for those who did/do I applaud your efforts daily in fighting your way clear to keep/stay clean.
Posted on: 2010/10/2 4:11

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.