Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
283 user(s) are online (241 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Courtesy Timer
With the doors closed and the key off - the windows should still go up/down and the radio plays (1990-1996)....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Wednesday Chat 04.20.11
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

OY!. Celebrated Passover last night with a seder at the Synagogue. My wife and her family are Jewish. I myself am a Judeo Christian Agnostic so I can perticipate in services just about anywhere ........ Or not ..... My wife has a truck loaded for me to make an early morning dump run. After that I'll be back home to perform my Tommy Homemaker duties. Ahhh .... Retitirement ...... More time to do your stuff. Be back later.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 11:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Wednesday Chat 04.20.11
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

After a heavy round of storms last night, we should have a break today hopefully. Ground is pretty saturated all around. No flooding that I know of.

Not a lot on the agenda for me. I still need to order some stuff for the exhaust. Little other projects. But since the vette is demoted to a weekend driver with gas prices that's ok I guess.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/4/20 11:36

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
My wife has a truck loaded for me to make an early morning dump run.

Shouldn't it be my wife prepared the bathroom for....nevermind.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 11:37

crash Re: Wednesday Chat 04.20.11
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

good morning gurus. had a storm come through last nite that was a biggy. we were not hit too bad but just north and south of had high winds and hale the size of tennis balls, just across the river in ill. they had some twisters that done some damage. other then that its been pretty quiet. lol.
well have a good day gurus
rich
Posted on: 2011/4/20 11:49

TommyT-Bone Re: Wednesday Chat 04.20.11
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
My wife has a truck loaded for me to make an early morning dump run.

Shouldn't it be my wife prepared the bathroom for....nevermind.

The benefits of coffee
Posted on: 2011/4/20 11:49

Ultraman Re: Wednesday Chat 04.20.11
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14750 Posts

Good morning all! Sun is trying to shine but it's only a trick I fear. Something to give us hope then that hope will be dashed on the rocks when the next round of storms come through. Just let it warm up is all I ask.

I did not climb up in the attic yesterday to see where the leak is. Today I will have to. I can do this! First you have to go get the ladder then squeeze through that tiny opening and............nuts!

Matt my weekend driver gets better milage then anything else I have. That could be trouble.

Have a good day guru's!
Posted on: 2011/4/20 12:03

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I hope Matt gets his Vette launching pebbles soon as well as all you other exhaust adjusting gurus.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 12:06

biggrizzly Re: Wednesday Chat 04.20.11
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Good Morning!

Well, I didn't do too much last night on the car, but I did get the transmission lines removed. They do not work in the stock configuration with the road racing pan. Other guys have used this pan before, however they must have had 6 speed transmissions because nobody indicated having a problem with the factory lines needing to be re-routed or replaced. The oil pan kick-outs are right in the way of the original path of the lines. Anyhow, I plan to route some braided stainless lines to the cooler set up I have. I have event considered doing the remote transmission cooler with a fan in the rear in place of the spare tire like I have seen a couple people do in the past. Just something else to prolong finishing this thing.

Looks like nice weather today... but rain is supposed to be moving in for the weekend.

Bill - I enjoyed watching your Thunder Hill videos. Both the silver C5 and the Miata with the LSx are screamers!! Pretty Cool. I wish I had the resources to do that kind of racing.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 12:26

pianoguy Re: Wednesday Chat 04.20.11
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings! A nice coating of white stuff on the lawn, looks like December. I think things are supposed to improve tomorrow. My wife said her flight from Milwaukee last night was the worst she's ever been on, bumpy as hell. The real nasty stuff went south of here.

Make the most of your day, everyone!
Posted on: 2011/4/20 12:36

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BillH Re: Wednesday Chat 04.20.11
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

I did not climb up in the attic yesterday to see where the leak is. Today I will have to. I can do this! First you have to go get the ladder then squeeze through that tiny opening and............nuts!

Yea, squeeze thru the 2 foot hole in the ceiling of the bedroom closet. Duck walk in a 3 1/2 ft. high space on the rafters with a flashlight. Find the plywood bowed up and there's your leak.

Duck walk out of the attic, get the ladders out, remove 60 concrete roof tiles....... been there, done that.
And I have a new leak this year.

Attach file:

jpg  2006-02-26 23-20-36_0002.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/4/20 14:15

Huskerland
14750 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement Bill, thats just how it will go. Only I hope I can find the leak that easy. I am thinking it's around the skylight in the bathroom.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 14:22

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement Bill, thats just how it will go. Only I hope I can find the leak that easy. I am thinking it's around the skylight in the bathroom.

Yea, some contractors need to go to school on "How to do Flashing".

Attach file:

jpg  2006-02-26 23-20-03_0001.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/4/20 14:27

SpectatorRacing Re: Wednesday Chat 04.20.11
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I found out today that Friday is a holiday. That's the benifit of not being religous, you get surprise days off work

Don, have you considered a filter relocator? If it's tight under there you can run some lines and move the oil filter to a more convenient place.

I made it work around my Canton pan, I'd go under my car and get some photos of my set up but the car's not local. If you're still stuck this weekend I can snap some.

Bill you doing your own roof? I think I need one this summer but know I won't have the time to do it myself. I hate paying people for labor...
Posted on: 2011/4/20 14:30

teebee Re: Wednesday Chat 04.20.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Morning guys....my students are lazy idiots today. Must be the weather. Cool and cloudy....but no rain. Marcus, I hate roof leaks, they are such a PITA to track down, I don't envy you at all. Don, it sounds like you have a plan to work around the fitment issue. Matt, you could send some of that moisture our way, we certainly could use it.

Church activities this evening and the wife returns home as well from her meetings in Wichita. I'm not feeling 100%, sinus headache, must be allergies kicking in.

I headed down to pick up the mail and noticed a mid 70's Corvette sitting in the driveway of some folks that we are acquainted with (early 30something, friends of our daughter). After I got home, I was sitting outside and they came by in it and stopped and wanted me to look at it. It's a 77 and a driver. They had spotted it and tried to call me and ask about it and what they are worth, but that was last week when we were in KC. Anyway they went ahead and bought it for $6k. It had been repainted the interior is all there, L82/auto 71k miles. It's all there, but not pristine by any means. I told them they did "alright". I didn't really want to tell them that they paid too much (IMO). I think I could have found them a nice C4 for what they paid for this one, but they like it, so it is what it is.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 14:35

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

teebee Re: Wednesday Chat 04.20.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Bill, you mean that's not the way you run flashing?
Posted on: 2011/4/20 14:39

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Bill, you mean that's not the way you run flashing?

According to the idiots that built this house, it's OK. Note that these are the same guys who put in the sliding glass doors with 6 nails and no caulking.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 15:07

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Bill you doing your own roof? I think I need one this summer but know I won't have the time to do it myself. I hate paying people for labor...

F' no. I'm just trying to preserve it for a few more years.
I did all the windows, siding and interior. The roof would be a class A bitch with the cement tiles and a gambrel roof. You'd need a cherry picker to do the sides of the roof where it slopes down to the first floor or 1000 trips up a ladder carrying cement tiles. Someday, I'll have to pay the labor - sucks.

Besides that is the cost, this new kitchen cost me 2 racecar motors, damnit.

You just ripped your kitchen out???
Posted on: 2011/4/20 15:14

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
You just ripped your kitchen out???

Not just, it's a project I started in January. I didn't want to steal yours and Matt's thunder at the time

It's tough to get a project done when you're gone 7 out of 12 weeks...

And no, I do not drink Kid Rock's Badass beer, that's just a box.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 15:46

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Here's where I am today, only the floor to finish.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 15:48

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I don't know why you guys are whining about paying for labor. I much prefer labor management. Do what you can, pay for what you can't reasonably do yourself. Do you think I'd rent a dumpster and strip a roof by myself. Ahh, No! Other people have to eat too. Shop the price and pay a reasonable amount. I'd rather have a lower bank account than a lower back ache.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 15:54

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I don't know why you guys are whining about paying for labor.... I'd rather have a lower bank account than a lower back ache.

I agree to some extent, and obviously, it's all up individual taste. It's not that I'm cheap, it's that I like doing the work myself. I sit behind a desk and yell at people all day, I like to get my hands dirty in my spare time. The kitchen was fun and I learned a buttload of things, not to mention the cost savings. The roof...not interested. Someone will get my money.

Another argument is the quality of work. My buddy and I both bought the same hardwood flooring for our homes. I did mine myself, he paid someone to do his (he's selling the house and needed it done quickly). Mine looks amazing, his looks fine. Obviously I was much more meticulous and careful (anal?) doing it myself. There are gaps and such in his that most probably would never see, but I see them...

Of course, over the winter I had some time to mess with this. Now that it's spring...not so much. There's stupid black fiberglass moneypit that needs attention.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 16:06

Huskerland
14750 Posts

Resized Image

Resized Image

Speaking of house projects..........I should fix this but it keeps the rif raf from getting to close. One kid bringing us something that we bought from the Boy Scouts or something fell in and I said "didn't you see the warning sign?" Geez, you try to do whats right and ........
Posted on: 2011/4/20 16:45

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Here's where I am today, only the floor to finish.

Damn, as of a couple minutes ago, I have only the floor to do.

Gotta ask, are those stainless steel electrical outlet covers??? Just like the ones I put in a few minutes ago?

Just noticed, the faucet looks identical to mine.

Attach file:

jpg  2006-04-24 04-07-25_0001.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/4/20 17:37

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I don't know why you guys are whining about paying for labor. I much prefer labor management. Do what you can, pay for what you can't reasonably do yourself. Do you think I'd rent a dumpster and strip a roof by myself. Ahh, No! Other people have to eat too. Shop the price and pay a reasonable amount. I'd rather have a lower bank account than a lower back ache.

I'd love to pay for it but so far, I've saved $40k on my house by DIY.

And I agree with Jon about quality. I been to friends houses lately and am blown away by the crappy work others are doing.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 17:41

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
Gotta ask, are those stainless steel electrical outlet covers??? Just like the ones I put in a few minutes ago?

Just noticed, the faucet looks identical to mine.

Lol "great minds" and all that...or how about "mi casa is su casa"

The faucet is a funny story. The one I took out was awesome, but white. I wanted the same damn thing, but in SS. I had the granite guy drill only one hole as that's what I removed. I get to the store and see 1,000,000 options, but only about 3 of them are for 1 hole counters. I sorta limited myself to that option.

I rotated the handle around to the left, though, since I am used to it on the left side. Of course now hot is forward and cold is backward. I wonder if I switch the H/C lines...

As for quality, I get more and more mad as I tear out the previous owners' labor. It's shoddy...trim and outlet plates painted to the wall, layer upon layer of caulk and paint, multiple holes in drywall, etc. Did I need to prime and paint behind my cabinets? Not really. But I did it anyway

Bill where'd you get the tile for the backsplash? i gotta do that soon.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 18:21

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Kitchen looks great, Jon!
Posted on: 2011/4/20 23:13

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
I rotated the handle around to the left, though, since I am used to it on the left side.

I should do that too, easier to use it that way.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 23:24

crash Re: Wednesday Chat 04.20.11
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

man you guys are ambitious. i was like that in my younger years. both kitchens look great. but today if something needs to be done i call my 2 boys. both were in home building and can do the job for materials only. its pay back time for years past. lol
rich
Posted on: 2011/4/21 0:25

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

crash wrote:
man you guys are ambitious. i was like that in my younger years. both kitchens look great. but today if something needs to be done i call my 2 boys. both were in home building and can do the job for materials only. its pay back time for years past. lol
rich

Ha, I no got 2 boys so, DYI.
I have trouble remembering my younger years.
Posted on: 2011/4/21 0:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.