Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
258 user(s) are online (222 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sting Ray
1963 through 1967 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Stingray, 1969-1976....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

JeffK Craigslist rant by dealer customer
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Just reading this made me sick. I guess it is partially because this could happen to my son when he grows up.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ctd/2515580158.html

In case it gets taken down here's the listing

I am blind man that lives in Mooresville, I went Monday with my wife to modern nissan of lake norman to purchase her a vehicle, found her a nice 2010 maxima with very low miles, i paid for the car with cash, our life savings! and traded in our old car, the next morning we went to leave to go on vacation and a few miles up the road my wife told me the oil light was on, i asked her to pull over soon. when we pulled into the gas station and we got out there was oil pouring out from under the engine and there was a trail behind us, right before we pulled over the engine made some very strange noises, we called modern nissan immediately and their service manager smarted off with my wife about what had happened and upset her, then when the wrecker took us back over to modern nissan and dropped the car and us off nobody except the receptionist would come help us, i discussed this with the manager that was there at that time and told him i did not want the maxima due the oil draining out and possible engine problems, so he preceded to find us another one, we went to the service dept. to get a rental car for the time being, that is when i decided not to ever buy a car from any modern nissan dealer, the service manager insulted me and harrassed me to the point i had to take a insulin shot for my diabeties, i have never felt so sick in my whole life and i got the feeling the service manager thought it was funny, i could not see him of coarse but my wife said he bowed up at me like he wanted to fight me a blind man! this is disgusting behavior by modern nissan and their service manager, i plan on spreading the word about modern nissan and how they treat handi-capped people, i am just one small voice but believe me modern nissans service manager has pissed off the wrong person, and also i asked three times to get the owners phone number and all of them declined to give it to me, it is a matter of time before modern nissan goes out business treating their customers like this, they should be ashame of themselves and their smart mouthed service manager should be Fired asap.

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD LET THE GOOD CITIZENS OF LAKE NORMAN KNOW NOT TO SPEND THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY WITH THESE JERKS AT MODERN NISSAN!
Posted on: 2011/7/27 12:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

As long as these allegations are fact! I would sing it from the highest mountain!! This kind of behavior out of a car dealership is unexcused and is exactly the kind of behavior that gives all car dealerships a bad name!! This really pisses me off when reading it too!

Thanks for sharing... now to go find Modern Nissan.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 12:45

JeffK Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Modern has a bunch of dealerships. There's a Modern Infinity here in Greensboro.

I agree with you regarding the validity of the claim but damn if it's true...
Posted on: 2011/7/27 12:49

TommyT-Bone Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Snopes inquiry is justified. Could be a smear campaign from a disgruntled customer or the competition. No dealership likes to give the money back but they stand behind the warranty and provide a comp rental vehicle. Out of the hundreds of thousands of vehicles sold some are gonna come back. Just happens.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 13:02

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Didn't see it but here are some more to keep you busy.

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q= ... 0&sp-m=1&sp-s=0&x=36&y=15
Posted on: 2011/7/27 13:05

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

It's not so much the vehicle malfunction as it is his story of the treatment he and his wife received from the manager and service manager.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 13:08

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Eveything you want to know about anything is here at CorvetteGuru.com

http://www.bbb.org/charlotte/business ... an-in-cornelius-nc-117363
Posted on: 2011/7/27 13:13

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

NWS language warning

Posted on: 2011/7/27 13:21

4543 Posts

Leave it to Tommy!
Posted on: 2011/7/27 13:31

bogus Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This story seems almost too tragic to believe. I would like to think in this day and age, people would be more professional.

If not because the mans wife was there to see their childish behaviour, but because there could be other people to witness and report. I have seen that happen at retail places of that nature - someone gets treated poorly and a third party comes to their support.

Personally, I need more info before I believe a craigslist rant.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 14:03

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Out of curiosity, I emailed the GM of the dealership, with a link to the CL ad... You know, a little warning this is brewing...

I am really curious to see how he responds.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 14:17

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Interesting idea Andy. Cant't wait to see if you get a response.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 14:22

4543 Posts

Andy-- I almost did the same. I went to the dealership website and looked through. They obviously care about their image so I find this behavior way out in left field for them. I'm glad you alerted them to the issue.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 14:30

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That was my thinking. The place just looked too nice for that kind of treatment. I may be totally wrong, but the BBB report doesn't lie, either.

If they didn't fix their issues, there would be more BBB reports.

No reply yet... we shall see.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 15:57

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Craigslist posting is gone.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 16:06

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

No email reply.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 17:12

teraldhopkins Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
Guru Newb
3 Posts

This is Terald Hopkins, the GM at Modern Nissan. I would like to thank you for at least being willing to look at all the facts before making a judgment. Here's what happened:
A good customer of ours and her blind husband came in a bought a used Maxima with 12,000 miles on it. Since it came from one of our other stores, we changed the oil and serviced the vehicle to make sure we felt confident in selling it to our customer. The next morning the customer called us in a panic, with good reason, and said there was oil in their driveway and other places they had been. We towed the car to our store and checked it out. We screwed up! The tech had left the old seal on the car when changing the oil. It resulted in letting oil leak out. We measured the remaining oil and it had 3 1/2 quarts. We apologized over and over again to the customer and gave them several options. 1. Full refund on the car 2. Put a 100,000 mile full coverage warranty on the vehicle at no charge to them. (A $1500 Value) 3. Find a car that is as close to the same as what they bought.

They would not allow us to explain and felt we “bowed up” at them. We offered to give them a car to drive until we could work out what ever they wanted us to do. They finally agreed to take back their trade-in and back out of the deal. I tried to call them several times with no luck. I just now spoke to her and continued to apologize for what happened. They left here and bought a car somewhere else. I told her I was still willing to do something for her for the trouble they had. I also had the owner call them to try and resolve it. They still sound as though they are determined to spread the word everywhere on the internet. That includes the blind community. The fact that her husband was blind had nothing to do with the way we treated them. We have and will always do everything we can to take care of every person that comes into our dealership. We know there are hundreds of places people can buy and service cars. We appreciate the opportunity anyone gives us to earn their business. We made a mistake and we tried everything we could to resolve it. I feel very disappointed we could not. Terald Hopkins, GM 904-304-6515 Cell
P.S. Sorry for the long message and thanks to Andy for the heads up.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 19:14

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Terald, thank you for taking the time to register here and post the full story. My son is blind and when I read the posting it horrified me to think of someone with that impairment being treated as described.

My father-in-law leased an Infiniti from Modern here in Greensboro and I never heard him say anything negative about his experience.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 19:30

teebee Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12367 Posts

Terald, thanks for posting up and giving us the other side of the story.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 19:39

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Interesting. Hope they can bring it to an amicable conclusion.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 19:47

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Can you all imagine the shock when I find a VM left by Terald on my phone!

Talk about customer service! Very top notch! Well done!

I suspect that this person was simply in a mood and was looking for a fight. Sorry it happened.

I hope this finally resolves itself.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 23:46

Matatk Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Terald,

Thank you for such a prompt response and for explaining your side of the story. I'm glad we could help out with that. Unfortunately in any form of customer service you cannot make every customer happy. It seems like you really stepped up to fix what I consider to be a mistake that could have happened to any of us. I say kudos to your dealership for that action.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/7/28 0:27

Ultraman Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14745 Posts

Hmmmmmmmm......he said, I said......no mention of the service manager by Terald.....I am thinking the folks that bought the car may have overreacted somewhat.

In this day and age it pays to take all complaints seriously just because stuff like this can give you a world of hurt.
Posted on: 2011/7/28 0:38

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

teraldhopkins Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
Guru Newb
3 Posts

They are still at it. I have called and offered to do anything I could to resolve this issue. My Service Manager, who has had great customer service here for 6 years, has apologized in every way. Our Owner has personally called them and offered to do anything to make them happy. It was a mistake and we immediately offered everything we could do to fix a bad situation. But they are now trying to organize the handicap in our area to boycott the dealership. They have decided we are "un-Christian and un-American" and the only thing they will be satisfied with is firing our Service Manager. It is such a shame that the customer bought a car from us because of how our service dept. has treated them, is now using them as their source of such anger. Anyone who has worked on cars know mistakes can happen, but I don't know what else we can do. Any ideas?
Posted on: 2011/7/28 19:23

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Make a donation to what ever society for the blind in order to show that the dealership is not prejudice against disabled persons? Or organize a fund raiser for the charity of their choice?
Posted on: 2011/7/28 19:31

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Bring it to the media. A local television station that works to resolve problem issues.(Maybe one you advertise with) This time it would be the business appealing to the customer for resolution instead of the usual reverse case. Head them off at the pass so to speak. I'm having difficulty understanding why they won't except "Yes" for an answer. We have a disabled advocate here that can raise more hell than the devil himself so I can understand how these things can go over the top.
Posted on: 2011/7/28 20:05

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Bring it to the media. A local television station that works to resolve problem issues.(Maybe one you advertise with) This time it would be the business appealing to the customer for resolution instead of the usual reverse case. Head them off at the pass so to speak. I'm having difficulty understanding why they won't except "Yes" for an answer. We have a disabled advocate here that can raise more hell than the devil himself so I can understand how these things can go over the top.

I thought about that too. Up here we have "2 wants to know" which is the local news station getting involved in local disputes.
Posted on: 2011/7/28 20:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Terald,

You are in a bind... trying to be rational with the irrational is only going to turn ugly.

I like the fund raiser/donation idea, but it does look like pandering after the fact. Much like when a big corp steps in it then tries to buy off the anger with some grand gesture.

First off, I would be ready to defend history. If you have made donations or supported such charities, reinforce that now.

Perhaps putting the Service Manager on "leave" for 2 weeks... just to get him out of there for a while and let the dust settle. I am sure he has the vacation time, they just don't need to know that. It might just serve the purpose. Also, offer to have the tech who screwed up sent to the French Foreign Legion or something...

I have found that once the irrational snap, they snap big. You may want to contact local law enforcement. I wonder if this man has done this before. If so, there may even be criminal complaints against him. I cannot believe the chip he has formed on his shoulder has been there for only a week.

You might also want to try and communicate one-on-one with his wife, or even an eldest child. Perhaps their minister? A brother or sister? Someone they trust who would be reasonably neutral in this matter. Someone, in short, who has the emotional authority to tell them to call the dogs off.

Whatever you do, be professional, but not cold. Once the local media gets hold of this, your responses will be vital and will be viewed under a microscope. Show empathy and agreement, but also outline, in detail, how you tried to resolve this problem. Yes, a mistake was made, but the rest of this didn't happen.

Silly question... are there any security cameras in the service bay? Can you see exactly what happened when they brought the car in? Only to play devils advocate, but, could there have been behaviour that did warrant this response? If so, I would roll heads. If not, offer up the tape as evidence you all WERE professional and courteous during this transaction... and they are blowing it all out of proportions.

Only AFTER you have been exonerated do you make any donations. That shows you are above this and are making amends out of the goodness of your heart, not because it looks good.

I am rather touched that you would reach out to our little hobble on the internet for advice...
Posted on: 2011/7/28 20:15

4543 Posts

I have worked closely with a large dealership here in Washington DC area for a few years and their policy is that no one under any circumstances talks to the media except the Owner of the dealership or the General Manager with specific authorization and under advise of legal counsel. I would suggest the same prudence here. Andy has some great points but you can get yourself in more trouble by talking to the media than you are ready for.
Posted on: 2011/7/28 22:52

flyboy Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

A small example of the power of the internet and hearsay that can ruin a good reputation.
Posted on: 2011/7/29 0:20

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I have worked closely with a large dealership here in Washington DC area for a few years and their policy is that no one under any circumstances talks to the media except the Owner of the dealership or the General Manager with specific authorization and under advise of legal counsel. I would suggest the same prudence here. Andy has some great points but you can get yourself in more trouble by talking to the media than you are ready for.

I agree 100%. My comments were directed at that inevitable time when the media gets involved. I would not involve them unless they become involved first.
Posted on: 2011/7/29 6:49

blindfury Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
Guru Newb
9 Posts

this gm at modern nissan is a plain flat out liar, i had to post it on craigslist and call the epa before they would even offer to clean up all of the oil in my driveway and by the way they are lying about the amount of oil that leaked out, there was about 3 quarts in my driveway and another 2 quarts leaked out going up the highway and in the parking lot where we stopped , the engine made some terrible noises and when i pulled the dipstick out there was no oil at all on it and it was so hot it blistered my finger, the service manager insulted me and belittled me in front of people there and there is a easy way to clear this up, release the tape when the news folks come calling on modern nissan ,this is all on film, the service manager bowed up at me like he wanted to fight ,this is the truth, god as my witness. My wife does not lie like these guys at modern nissan, all they are trying to do is cover this up and make me look like the vilian. this gm even questioned my wife on the phone about where we go to church, the service manager has not EVER attempted to appologise and they have not called here but a couple times, i am telling you these guys are incompetent and liars.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 13:43

Guru Newb
9 Posts

If anybody needs clarification about this story just ask mister lying gm to see the tape and that should clear it up, my wife saw the service manager bow up at me and we both heard his angry voice and rude gestures and so did everybody else in the office, maybe under oath they would tell the truth, this here gm was not even at work the day this happened so where is he getting his info, i guess from his incompetent lying service manager. it is so funny how this companies lie and change a story to fit there own needs, god knows what happened and i as a american will not stand for being treated this way, modern nissan has some very disgusting business habits and they know it and now they are going to try and lie their way out of it, typical i guess.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 13:52

4543 Posts

Posted on: 2011/7/31 14:02

Guru Newb
9 Posts

and by the way this screw up in modern nissans service department is unexcusable, i am a blind man and i have been changing my own oil in our vehicles for years and i have not ever did anything like that, and who in their right mind would want a car back that run out of oil, and could have internal damage that could show up down the road like main or rod bearing damage, who knows, i did not want the car and they seem to think it is a great big favor to me that they gave us our money back, these people need to get real, my wife was driving me to illinois to the navy training center "bootcamp" for my sons graduation , the reason we where driving every since i went blind i cannot fly at all it makes me very sick and i cannot ride to long of distance without getting sick so we where driving the whole way, well that did not happen because of modern nissans service department cannot change the oil in a car properly, i have to be sure my wife has a safe car to drive and a quality service dept. to depend on and believe me it is not these guys, i have never in my life been treated like this and on top of all of it they want to sugar coat everything and make theirselves look so good while they just steam roll over me , that is ok i know alot of people around here and have talked to some tv stations and newspapers that are coming out to do a story on this. like i said the tape they have a modern nissan will tell it all , they will probally try to lie about that to.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 14:07

Guru Newb
9 Posts

and another thing mr. lying gm i am not up to anything but telling the gods honest truth, now can you and your service manager say that? i don't think so!
Posted on: 2011/7/31 14:09

Huskerland
14745 Posts

Yikes! I think we should all take some deep breaths and realize that stuff happens and the best way to get back at someone is to vote with your feet.......you will never buy or even step in their dealership again. That and telling all your friends what happened in the hopes they don't go there. They gave the money back and they screwed up end of story.

Other than that it is time to move on and focus the energy on something else. In my opinion anyway.......and welcome to the Guru......what do you think about the Obama one term presidency...........
Posted on: 2011/7/31 14:29

Guru Newb
9 Posts

well i disagree with you totally, maybe if you where blind you would understand the damage these guys have done to me over this, missing my sons navy graduation was bad enough, but to be treated like this, then they call me a liar, blind people stick together like you would not believe and when a vilian like these guys harrass or insult you or even want to fight one us we do not take it very litely and we will be a thorn in these guys side until they tell the truth and face the facts. they cannot lie their way out of this and that is what they are trying to do led by that lying gm.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 15:01

flyboy Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Take a deep breath for sure. That was the longest sentence I ever read.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 15:32

4543 Posts

I think this is really gotten beyond CorvetteGuru
and this battle should not waged on this website.

Just my opinion. I don't take any side but I'm done with this thread too. Hope it slips away down the list.
Sorry for your misfortunes. I hope it can be resolved through diplomacy.
I'll not click here again.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 15:56

BillH Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I think this is really gotten beyond CorvetteGuru
and this battle should not waged on this website.

Just my opinion. I don't take any side but I'm done with this thread too. Hope it slips away down the list.
Sorry for your misfortunes. I hope it can be resolved through diplomacy.
I'll not click here again.

Yes, we should be done with it.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 16:01

teebee Re: Craigslist rant by dealer customer
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12367 Posts

I believe that both sides have had their say. I think that they need to find a way to find common ground. And I afraid, it isn't going to happen here. I'm with Don, I'm done with this thread.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 16:16

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Shoot, i'm sorry that I started the thread. I didn't know that the battle would end up on our front porch.

Hopefully one of the mods will close or delete the thread.
Hopefully an amicable ends comes for all involved.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 16:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Jeff - no worries... it's the internet, shit happens.

Terald and Blindfury need to figure out how to sort this out. There are three sides to every story, yours, mine and the truth. And somewhere in the middle of all of this is the truth. And that truth could be embarrassing to either party. Or absolutely freeing. Take your pick.

As for this thread, it stays right where it is. I for one want to know the truth.

I took the time to alert Terald to this matter. This is as close to a neutral location where the two sides can hammer out or discuss the situation.

Now... how did blindfury find this? What made him come here? I did a couple of google searches, and the Guru doesn't appear on page one. But... if you type "craigslist modern nissan" into google, we are #4... with a bullet at this rate.

blindfury - you speak of a "tape" what tape is this? For a blind fellow, you sure are aware of your surroundings. Impressive, to say the least.

Also, why did you drive a car that had an obvious oil leak? And who calls the EPA about a small oil leak? throw some kitty litter on it and be done...

Not to inflame the situation, just asking questions. I have no personal stake in this matter at all... like you, I just want the truth.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 16:52

Huskerland
14745 Posts

Way to go Jeff...... :pain10: ...........
Posted on: 2011/7/31 17:09

Guru Newb
9 Posts

well i can tell you people on here must be used car salesmen to, i could care less about this thread and i am out of here, you all can buddy up to the lying gm over at modern nissan of lake norman and i will continue to work for blind and handi-capped people to keep scum like that service manager away from them, if any of you had one of you loved ones treated like this you would be upset to, if not ,then you are just like them. good bye and good day
Posted on: 2011/7/31 18:09

Guru Newb
9 Posts

the oil did not start coming out until the engine was cranked that morning early in the dark my wife did not know it until the light came on, i am blind not stupid , i worked on cars before i went blind and i still do and it was not a little oil it was alot of oil, ask the guy they hired to clean it up, and the tape i am speaking of is the camera that modern nissan has in the service department lobby somewhere that tapes everything and the gm said he had watched and he saw the service manager bow up at me, but to him that is normal behavior, i am not going to be on here no more because i am going to let the news people handle this and deal with them people and the good citizens in my community will not deal with these guys at all. p.s. it was not a oil leak the service department did a oil change and did not tighten the oil filter it came lose and there goes the oil on a $40,000 car and the engine started sounding like it was seizing up. and the bad thing about this i did not tell them to change it, they created one big mess.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 18:19

Guru Newb
9 Posts

and by the way the BBB complaint is in the process of being filed along with about a dozen more complaints and different agencies.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 18:23

Guru Newb
9 Posts

who wants a hundred thousand mile warranty when the engine mite lock up anytime in the middle of nowhere, a 100,000 mile warranty was a very ignorant thing to offer us, this guys have not done anything to impress me at all and never will.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 18:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

blindfury -

It is obvious you are pissed, but for crying out loud, don't start calling people names who don't automatically kowtow to your belief. I have consented to allow this to be a neutral area for discussion, so don't start biting the hand that offers you assistance, got it?

If you continue to call me, or the membership, names, insult us, or otherwise treat us like inferior beings, then you will no longer be allowed to post. You have an epic chip on your shoulder, please consider taking it off. You may be surprised how far you get without it.

I reported this to Terald because it seemed so outrageous that a modern franchise, of an international automaker, would behave as you implied.
Posted on: 2011/7/31 20:18

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.