Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
314 user(s) are online (262 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Stingray
1969 through 1976 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Sting Ray, 1963 - 1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users
 Register To Post

Scott7 Hot days of Summer
Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

I'm chasing a cooling system problem that is very frustrating. The car - 1989 Vette with modified L98 (mods include LT4 Hot cam, headers, dual exhaust with small twin cats, supercharger w/ intercooler, Dewitt 3 core high performance radiator, etc., etc., etc.), and the full Greenwood GC4r body kit.

If it's a warm to hot day here in the Mile Hi city, above ~85 degrees, I cannot keep the car cool at slower speeds or in stop and go traffic with the A/C on. FYI, I've seen temps as high as 263 degrees. At 230+ I turn off the A/C and the temp slowly drops back down to a 195 - 225 degree range but it becomes very uncomfortable drive, its hot in there! Here's where it get weird, if the car is driven in cool to cold weather, say 45 degrees or lower, it barely heats up enough to turn on a heater, on a cold day the temp never really gets much beyond 135 degrees, way too cold.

What I've done recently, new radiator cap, 160 degree thermostat, flushed the cooling system, new water pump, new lower radiator hose, fresh anti-freeze and BG Super Cool. Result - no change still gets hotter than hell (240+). Still the same situation, turn off the A/C eliminating it's load and the temp will come down.

Could my problem be with the load the A/C causes rather than the cooling system? Any thoughts? Thx.
Posted on: 2012/7/2 15:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Hot days of Summer
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

it sounds like the fans are NOT kicking in.

do they fire when the AC is turned on? they are supposed to.

I assume you have the 2 fans, one in front, one in back? If so, that's the heavy duty fan system.

With what you have, it sounds like the fans are my #1 blame at this time. Check the relays and hope.

I don't remember where the relays are on the 89... Matatk should chime in with that info.

Also, remove that 160stat, it won't fix this problem at all. In fact, it will make it worse.

Finally, check to be sure the rad is clear of debris, that will really kill it.
Posted on: 2012/7/2 16:07

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Scott7 Re: Hot days of Summer
Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
it sounds like the fans are NOT kicking in.

do they fire when the AC is turned on? they are supposed to.

I assume you have the 2 fans, one in front, one in back? If so, that's the heavy duty fan system.

With what you have, it sounds like the fans are my #1 blame at this time. Check the relays and hope.

I don't remember where the relays are on the 89... Matatk should chime in with that info.

Also, remove that 160stat, it won't fix this problem at all. In fact, it will make it worse.

Finally, check to be sure the rad is clear of debris, that will really kill it.

Fans were my first thought. The fan kicks on with with the AC as you would expect. I'm considering the higher volume fan but not sure it will help all that much. Not sure if I could get the dual fan set-up with all the supercharger plumbing, but . . .

No, I don't have the auxilary fan. Was checking into adding one but don't think it'll fit with the intercooler there also.

160stat will make it worse? Why?

I haven't found any debris around the radiator, looks clean as a whistle.
Posted on: 2012/7/2 16:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

You have a ton of stuff that is blocking air flow... no question.

the lower stat will only open sooner, after fully open, it won't help control temps as they go up. And it will cause an already cold winter engine to run way too cold.

I would reprogram the fans to come on sooner.
Posted on: 2012/7/2 17:01

1Fast04Vert Re: Hot days of Summer
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

I am with Bogus. While the radiator and condensor might look clean I would bet there is a ton of small debris in there blocking the air flow. Then when you add the heat from the condensor the radiator can not overcome the extra heat due to insufficient airflow thru it.
Posted on: 2012/7/2 18:21

Matatk Re: Hot days of Summer
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

What the guys said above - clean the front area of the radiator / condenser. To do it right, you have to remove the fiberglass piece that covers the top of the radiator. There are a bunch of little screws around the perimeter. Take it off, and blow out with a garden hose and compressed air. You can consider a little home-made screen on the front of the car to stop debris from entering, as well.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/7/2 19:16

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I apologize - I didn't read the part where you said it looks clean.

Do you mean the front area looks clean, or you removed the cover and peeked in there. This is what mine looked like after a fall drive:

Photobucket

It's worth a shot to look at it again.

Aside from that, is the a/c working ok? I'm wondering if the condenser in the front is icing up or blocking air flow?
Posted on: 2012/7/2 19:19

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Also, a shot of my homemade debris screen:

Photobucket
Posted on: 2012/7/2 19:20

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Also what type of thermostat did you install? One of those failsafe open ones? Did you verify it's working - ie boil it before you installed it?
Posted on: 2012/7/2 19:22

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I've spoken with the shop that did my recent work - he's saying the area described as being clean, no debris. So I'm getting ready to take it apart and verify. My look see was just what is readily available, I did not remove the cover. That's probably my problem!

Regarding the AC, its working well as far as I know. I could check to see if there is any icing going on.

The stat is a new one from NAPA. Basically I thought the new stats were all failsafe. No, it wasn't boiled as far as I know.

Thanks for the screen pic once I get this heat problem solved I'll be doing similar.
Posted on: 2012/7/2 20:22

Durango_Boy Re: Hot days of Summer
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Does the fan have a shroud or is it just a fan bolted to the radiator? It sounds like you need more air flow, which to me means a stronger fan.

Also, have you tried any coolant additives? I played around with some constants on two of my configurations and I got some noticeable differences when I played with mixture and added a bottle or two of Water Wetter.

Right now, I add two bottles of Water Wetter to the empty system, then a perfect 50/50 mix of coolant and aluminum safe water.
Posted on: 2012/7/2 21:15

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Does the fan have a shroud or is it just a fan bolted to the radiator? It sounds like you need more air flow, which to me means a stronger fan.

Also, have you tried any coolant additives? I played around with some constants on two of my configurations and I got some noticeable differences when I played with mixture and added a bottle or two of Water Wetter.

Right now, I add two bottles of Water Wetter to the empty system, then a perfect 50/50 mix of coolant and aluminum safe water.

Yes the shroud is there and the supercharger intercooler pipes are all over it.

I've removed the fiberglass top off the radiator so I could clearly see what was going on between the condenser and the radiator - very little debris nothing like Matatk's pic. Blew it out anyway just to be sure.

Yes in the area of coolant additives added BG Super Cool. Maybe I should go for two cans rather than one.

Looks like I'm still chasing it but not sure where to turn. I could upgrade to the 2360cmf single radiator fan or consider the dual fan B4P option.
Posted on: 2012/7/2 22:00

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

The upgraded single fan would be far superior to the auxiliary fan option.
Posted on: 2012/7/2 22:05

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
The upgraded single fan would be far superior to the auxiliary fan option.

Thank you, I'll get that ordered and install. Also noticed I was wrong on the radiator being a Dewitt, actually its a Howe and interestingly the Howe label asks for a 22 to 24 lb radiator cap and the cap that is on it is a 16 lb'er. This could be a contributing factor.
Posted on: 2012/7/2 22:32

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

too low a cap pressure and all bets are off.

Also, I am a fan (pun!) of dual small fans vs one big one. If one fails, at least the other keeps going.

But with your intercooler and such, one OEM fan just won't do...
Posted on: 2012/7/4 19:31

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
too low a cap pressure and all bets are off.

Also, I am a fan (pun!) of dual small fans vs one big one. If one fails, at least the other keeps going.

But with your intercooler and such, one OEM fan just won't do...

Yea, the intercooler, its not helping the air flow. The discussions on high temps from C4's are quite extensive. I was considering the B4P dual fan option but the installation as suggested in this link sounds challanging, particularly installing a new fan switch. Not sure I want to go there but . . . Here's the link http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011/ ... an-control-modifications/. I'm going to talk to ATI ProCharger and see what they have to say. I've seen a lot of discussions on the effectiveness of the intercooler both pro and con.

I've spoken with Mike at Howe Radiators and he is suggesting staying with a 16 lb radiator cap. Moving up to a higher pressure cap is only going to compound the overheating. Not interested in going thermonuclear and having a meltdown. I can pass light through the radiator and there isn't any swelling of the lines at the outlets and no crushed fins. Cleaned out the space between the condenser and the radiator, as I mentioned earlier there was very little there to begin with.

My quest for heat releaf continues. C4's run hot and I understand that but. . . . 240/260 not acceptable!

Posted on: 2012/7/5 14:33

WW7 Re: Hot days of Summer
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

I may be a little late for the party, but here's my 2 cents on the problem..
On my 89 with the 383 I was having the same problem with temps when the A/C was on,my temps would keep climbing until I was forced to turn the A/C off. I installed a Dewitt's high speed fan and now I run about 210-215. The stock fan puts out 1700 cfm while the Dewitt's puts out 2360 cfm.The difference can be felt by putting your hand near the gills on the side where the air flows out, before I could hardly feel any air at all coming out,now with the Dewitt's fan the air is really moving. I also noticed the underhood temps are much lower because of all the air moving through faster, this also has to be better for all the plastic and rubber parts under the hood....WW
Posted on: 2012/7/6 13:03

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

WW7 wrote:
I may be a little late for the party, but here's my 2 cents on the problem..
On my 89 with the 383 I was having the same problem with temps when the A/C was on,my temps would keep climbing until I was forced to turn the A/C off. I installed a Dewitt's high speed fan and now I run about 210-215. The stock fan puts out 1700 cfm while the Dewitt's puts out 2360 cfm.The difference can be felt by putting your hand near the gills on the side where the air flows out, before I could hardly feel any air at all coming out,now with the Dewitt's fan the air is really moving. I also noticed the underhood temps are much lower because of all the air moving through faster, this also has to be better for all the plastic and rubber parts under the hood....WW

Hi Wayne, thanks for your observations. These heat issues can be a problem. I'm moving up to a 2360cfm fan and hoping I can see the temps you are, 210-215 would be a significant improvement from where I'm at now.

Its interesting that you had the same weep hole leak in the water pump that I started with. Its the only place we could find any sign of a cooling system leak earlier this year. Replaced the pump but based on what you experienced I'll be keeping an extra eye on things up there. Scott
Posted on: 2012/7/6 14:53

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I was thinking about this post on the way home as I had my a/c on. Temp outside was around 100* depending on location. I was in mixed rush hour traffic on the surface streets and highway...from a crawl to 55 mph. I saw my temps creep up to 230 on the coolant but never got above 200 with the oil (Mobil 1 synthetic). Turning the a/c off brought the coolant back to 205-215 but never below that.

I don't have coated headers and I know that contributes to my underhood temps.

I think that the extra heat generated by the a/c might be overpowering the cooling system in general.

You have a supercharger, etc. Is any of that piping, headers, etc coated or wrapped?

I have been considering hood vents for a while to help reduce the temps underhood. I think evacuating that extra heat might be the only way to reduce the coolant temps.

Just me thinking out loud. Any updates on your fan upgrade?

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/7/23 22:02

flyboy Re: Hot days of Summer
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Off topic, but check the OP's Scott7 address.
Posted on: 2012/7/24 2:33

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh, dear.
Posted on: 2012/7/24 6:04

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
oh, dear.

Hi, I guess I don't understand the "check the OP's Scott7 address" comment from Flyboy. Could you tell me what this is referring to? Thx, Scott
Posted on: 2012/7/24 13:36

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

Scott7 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
oh, dear.

Hi, I guess I don't understand the "check the OP's Scott7 address" comment from Flyboy. Could you tell me what this is referring to? Thx, Scott

I didn't understand it either, don't feel bad.

Any update on your overheating issue?
Posted on: 2012/7/24 13:39

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Scott - judging from the fact that you are here today indicates you weren't effected by the theater shooting last week.

It was your connection to Aurora, CO that flyboy noticed.

So very sorry about the tragedy; thankful that you weren't hurt. I hope that thankful extents to your family and friends, too.
Posted on: 2012/7/24 14:08

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Scott - judging from the fact that you are here today indicates you weren't effected by the theater shooting last week.

It was your connection to Aurora, CO that flyboy noticed.

So very sorry about the tragedy; thankful that you weren't hurt. I hope that thankful extents to your family and friends, too.

Hi Andy, Thanks for clearing that up for me. Yes I live the in the city that had the tragic event of the shooting at the Batman movie. Not a good thing, but it occurred on the other side of Aurora from where I live, about 20+ miles. This was definitely bad and I'm not sure what to say other than damn - why here and why again!!!! This is a rhetorical question.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 16:05

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I hear you loud and clear. I will share with you what I said to my 14YO Great-Niece: There are people out there who are sick and do unpredictable things... it is hard to predict the unpredictable.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 16:08

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

Scott7 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
oh, dear.

I didn't understand it either, don't feel bad.

Any update on your overheating issue?

Hi Matt,
I understand the comments now, I live in Aurora where the shooting at the Batman movie happened. Nuff said.

Update on the overheating - I've received a new 2360 cfm fan from Dewitt that I'll be installing this week. Many thanks again for the suggestions you made. I was truly hoping to see a lot of junk between the condenser and the radiator, but as I mentioned it was pretty clean up there nothing like your pic. I'm hoping changing to a higher volume fan will make the difference. Given that we're having such a hot summer, in the high 90's daily, I'm looking forward to seeing how much of a difference this fan will make. Lordy I hope it helps get the temps under control. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that the L98 runs hotter as a general rule. I'm looking to run in the 210 - 220 range with the AC on and in heavy stop and go traffic. Don't think that's unrealistic.
Posted on: 2012/7/24 16:28

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I was thinking about this post on the way home as I had my a/c on. Temp outside was around 100* depending on location. I was in mixed rush hour traffic on the surface streets and highway...from a crawl to 55 mph. I saw my temps creep up to 230 on the coolant but never got above 200 with the oil (Mobil 1 synthetic). Turning the a/c off brought the coolant back to 205-215 but never below that.

I don't have coated headers and I know that contributes to my underhood temps.

I think that the extra heat generated by the a/c might be overpowering the cooling system in general.

You have a supercharger, etc. Is any of that piping, headers, etc coated or wrapped?

I have been considering hood vents for a while to help reduce the temps underhood. I think evacuating that extra heat might be the only way to reduce the coolant temps.

Just me thinking out loud. Any updates on your fan upgrade?

Matthew

Matthew, Thanks for these thoughts. Yep you are describing what I'm experiencing: slow speeds and hot days and the temp climbs. And like yourself I turn off the a/c to lower the temps.

My headers are not coated or wrapped and I'm also sure that contributes to the high temps.

I also believe the a/c pump is overpowering the cooling system, but why? Is there a drag test or something other than it works or it doesn't that could be checked? I keep thinking this may be the culprit since it seems to relate directly to overheating.

No, none of the piping for the supercharger is wrapped or coated, but I do have functional hood vents via the Greenwood GC4r body kit.

Just keep thinking, maybe this is a bigger problem than what was originally thought. Turning off an a/c to keep your car from overheating doesn't seem like a viable solution.
Thx,
Scott
Posted on: 2012/7/24 16:57

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Interesting that we both have uncoated headers. I think that contributes a lot to the underhood heat. Perhaps that large volume of heat soak that is under the hood is preventing the radiator from cooling well. Even with a fan blowing, I think it's picking up a lot of the hot air and just blowing that around. That retained heat may also be affecting the hoses and other portions of the system under the hood.

I agree there has to be a viable solution. I'm wondering if coated headers (and in your case wrapping the supercharger system) would be a great benefit?

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/7/24 17:35

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

And I'll be looking forward to hearing your impressions on the fan upgrade.

I normally have zero issues with overheating. I have a newer AC Delco radiator, new water pump, everything flushed when the new motor was put in, 180* stat, fans lowered, etc. On a cool day at cruise I run in the low to mid 180s, sitting at a long light I'll creep up to 210* or so. Start moving and it drops back down. On warmer days, I might run 195* at a cruise, same issue at traffic lights. Now that the a/c is fixed, I'm experiencing the coolant climb up to 230*.

Another thing to note is I know the fan normally turns off over 45 mph...I have to check the FSM to see if that is true if the a/c is on, as well. If that's the case, if we are still experiencing high temps at 45 mph+ with the a/c on, we need to shift our focus away from the fan cfm....and I think back to underhood temps.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/7/24 17:41

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Oh, and as far as "normal" operating range, the main fan on the L98s was not set to come on until the 228* range or so, the secondary fan was set to come on around 238* or so. The stock tstat is a 195*. These higher temps were used for emissions more than anything else. I don't like to run my car at 225* even though that's what they designated.

I have noticed that after my break in period when I switched to synthetic oil, the oil temps were much lower and more stable. I also noticed that bypassing my heater core lowered my coolant temps. I think it was gunked/clogged after 20 years before it finally sprung a leak.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/7/24 17:44

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Interesting that we both have uncoated headers. I think that contributes a lot to the underhood heat. Perhaps that large volume of heat soak that is under the hood is preventing the radiator from cooling well. Even with a fan blowing, I think it's picking up a lot of the hot air and just blowing that around. That retained heat may also be affecting the hoses and other portions of the system under the hood.

I agree there has to be a viable solution. I'm wondering if coated headers (and in your case wrapping the supercharger system) would be a great benefit?

Matthew

I'm pretty sure that our headers are contributing to the heat issues but. . . . it just doesn't seem that running headers should be such an issue. Now in the case of my supercharger and all the piping that is associated with the intercooler which is infront of the radiator and a/c condenser leaving little room for anything else. All the pipes for the system pass inbetween the front of the engine and the radiator fan. Lots of heat there I suspect. And I've got to believe your right, the retained heat isn't a good thing.
Posted on: 2012/7/26 2:22

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
And I'll be looking forward to hearing your impressions on the fan upgrade.

I normally have zero issues with overheating. I have a newer AC Delco radiator, new water pump, everything flushed when the new motor was put in, 180* stat, fans lowered, etc. On a cool day at cruise I run in the low to mid 180s, sitting at a long light I'll creep up to 210* or so. Start moving and it drops back down. On warmer days, I might run 195* at a cruise, same issue at traffic lights. Now that the a/c is fixed, I'm experiencing the coolant climb up to 230*.

Another thing to note is I know the fan normally turns off over 45 mph...I have to check the FSM to see if that is true if the a/c is on, as well. If that's the case, if we are still experiencing high temps at 45 mph+ with the a/c on, we need to shift our focus away from the fan cfm....and I think back to underhood temps.

Matthew

I should have the fan in by this weekend and I'll be very interest in it's performance also. As I mentioned earlier I've had the cooling system flushed out, replaced the water pump, etc., etc.

Basically your description is what I've been seeing, overheating is being experienced with the a/c on. If its cooler out, say low 80's or cooler the car does much better if I can keep it moving, stop and go or load the engine up and the heat climbs, turn off the a/c and down it goes. The overheating seems to happen whenever the engine is loaded up and has to work harder, a condition not unlike turning on the a/c. Most recently I found I could not keep the engine running with the a/c on when I come to a stop. That may be incidental and more of an idle problem that anything else.

I'm pretty sure that if the a/c is on the fan stays on also. Like you I need to check my FSM.
Posted on: 2012/7/26 2:49

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Oh, and as far as "normal" operating range, the main fan on the L98s was not set to come on until the 228* range or so, the secondary fan was set to come on around 238* or so. The stock tstat is a 195*. These higher temps were used for emissions more than anything else. I don't like to run my car at 225* even though that's what they designated.

I have noticed that after my break in period when I switched to synthetic oil, the oil temps were much lower and more stable. I also noticed that bypassing my heater core lowered my coolant temps. I think it was gunked/clogged after 20 years before it finally sprung a leak.

Matthew

Bypassing the heater core lowered your cooling temps, did you bypass the intake manifold also?

Yes I agree I like to run cooler but I found I was replacing the cat every two years, I've been told the lower temps were contributing to its failure. Since I switch over to dual exhast with bullet cats I've passed emissions twice so thats been a good improvement. These little cats are going on 4 years now. I've been using synthetic oil exclusively for many years, infact most of the car's life.
Posted on: 2012/7/26 3:12

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

As far as the bypass, not really sure what you mean by bypassing the intake manifold. I don't really see how that's a possibility. I have the throttle body bypass, but that's different.

I watched my temps on the way home today in mixed traffic again. Temp gauge for outside was 86-88 degrees. A/c was on the whole time.

Cruising 55-70 mph the coolant was a consistent 194-196.

At idle through about 35 stop and go the coolant rose to 217.

Once I got moving again and was cruising 50-55 mph consistently, the coolant would drop about 1 degree every 20 seconds from 217 down to about 201-203 on two different occasions. I think it might have gone down more, but didn't have enough time on the highway.

So it seems that with the faster/higher/better? air flow the cooling does improve.

Random thought and not sure if it's scientific: If you add 12-14 degrees to the outside air temp like I was driving in the other day (around 100-101), it seems consistent with running around a high of 230 vs a high of 217 today. So it seems as if the cooling system is consistent in taking out the same amount of heat.

So now I'm even more interested to see how that higher CFM fan works at the lower speeds.

Matthew

Also, oil temp never got over 190 today.
Posted on: 2012/7/28 2:39

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

Scott7 wrote:

Yes I agree I like to run cooler but I found I was replacing the cat every two years, I've been told the lower temps were contributing to its failure. Since I switch over to dual exhast with bullet cats I've passed emissions twice so thats been a good improvement. These little cats are going on 4 years now. I've been using synthetic oil exclusively for many years, infact most of the car's life.

I don't see why the cats would fail from the coolant running 20 degrees cooler. The exhaust gases are still hot. As long as you are getting good combustion and not dumping a bunch of raw fuel on the cats, I don't really see that as a factor.

Matthew

PS - you're running a heated 02 sensor, I hope?
Posted on: 2012/7/28 2:41

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Also, any pics of your hood vents?
Posted on: 2012/7/28 2:42

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

I would really like to share some pics but unfortunately I'm having difficulties uploading. As soon as I get this worked out. . .
Posted on: 2012/7/30 20:01

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Scott7 wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

I would really like to share some pics but unfortunately I'm having difficulties uploading. As soon as I get this worked out. . .

Resized Image
Posted on: 2012/7/30 20:05

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Scott7 wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Okay it looks like I'm uploading okay so . . . .

External hood shot
Resized Image

the hood vent
Resized Image

interior of hood vent
Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/7/30 20:26

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Thanks! That's about where I was considering putting them if I do it. That is about the one spot that doesn't have structural bracing underneath.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 2:43

Virginia91C4 Re: Hot days of Summer
Guru Newb
Richmond Va
24 Posts

I guess my 2 cents worth is way late to the topic. But I had the exact same situation with my 91L98 car. Going down the highway on a hot day with the AC on the temp would creep up to high. The car ran to hot for me all the way around. I replaced the radiator with a 3 core all aluminum deal and the temp it runs is drastically cooler even on the hottest days. I think now going down the road it runs just above thermostat temp. and stays there all day, AC on or not.
Posted on: 2012/8/6 19:37

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience. Unfortunately Scott already has a dewitt's radiator installed so that isn't the issue. We are leaning towards high underhood temps with limited air circulation as the main factor.
Posted on: 2012/8/7 23:19

Crazyone Re: Hot days of Summer
Guru Newb
Phila PA
14 Posts

Oh, I want to take a shot at this one. First it is no suprize to anyone that these baby's run hot. I have years of experience with racecars and engines. What I think is happening is the coolant is not spending enough time in the radiator to cool and is returning to the engine hot. On cold days the water doesn't stay in the motor long enough to heat up. In other words, the coolant flow is too fast. What we used to do was remove the thermostat and install a flat washer in its place. Then we would fool with differnt size holes in the washer to get this flow just right. I would seriously look very carefully at the thermostat. I have plenty of other ideas to look at but this is where I would start. I also saw this previously with an impellor broke free of the water pump shaft.
Posted on: 2012/8/8 0:41

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Ray -

Thanks for the input. I agree that having coolant flow too quickly can cause overheating.

In my case, I have a standard GM radiator and standard flow water pump. My overheating is at idle or low speed....so the coolant isn't traveling through the system too quickly imho. Doing 55 mph with sufficient coolant flow and air flow in combination I do not experience the overheating problem. Because of this, I still theorize that too much trapped heat underhood is contributing to my problem.
Posted on: 2012/8/8 1:49

jonszr1 Re: Hot days of Summer
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

have any of you guys thought of going to an edelbrock water pump. have flow more water with a better balanced flow the dirt track guys swear by these things . since you have an 89 you have this option .
Posted on: 2012/8/9 5:05
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I have considered it on my car, just never got around to doing it. I'm not sure what water pump Scott is running.
Posted on: 2012/8/9 11:41

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. Unfortunately Scott already has a dewitt's radiator installed so that isn't the issue. We are leaning towards high underhood temps with limited air circulation as the main factor.

Hi all, I've been away and trying to catch-up. As Matthew says, thanks for sharing your experience and as mentioned I also have a Howe high flow radiator.
Posted on: 2012/8/9 17:00

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Ray -

Thanks for the input. I agree that having coolant flow too quickly can cause overheating.

In my case, I have a standard GM radiator and standard flow water pump. My overheating is at idle or low speed....so the coolant isn't traveling through the system too quickly imho. Doing 55 mph with sufficient coolant flow and air flow in combination I do not experience the overheating problem. Because of this, I still theorize that too much trapped heat underhood is contributing to my problem.

Again thanks for your thoughts Ray. My setup is somewhat different from Matthew's inthat mine has a Howe high flow aluminum radiator replacing the standard GM radiator and a very new standard flow water pump. As Matthew describes the overheating is experienced a idle or low speeds. I believe in both cases, Matthews and mine, the overheating problem is also associated with higher ambient temps, say 85 degrees or higher. I agree about the trapped heat contributing to the problem. In my case I have louvers installed which when you're moving helps draw out heat but you have to be moving for them to function. So we're continuing our search for heat relief.
Posted on: 2012/8/9 17:29

Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
have any of you guys thought of going to an edelbrock water pump. have flow more water with a better balanced flow the dirt track guys swear by these things . since you have an 89 you have this option .

I suspect now would be the time to investigate this water pump. I just had one replaced in March with a new stock one along with flushing out the cooling system, etc. Bummer!
Posted on: 2012/8/9 17:38

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.