Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
212 user(s) are online (172 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  RPO
Regular Production Order. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Horsepower844182 Rollbar?
Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

What are the options for a rollbar on a 92 vert?
Posted on: 2008/1/17 23:24

Notorious RE:Rollbar?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I've got the R-D one in my coupe and it's a quality piece of work. But that won't help you. Strick has a '92 vert and has researched this extensively. I'm sure he'll see this and check in at some point. They are available and I've got a link saved somewhere for someone offering them. If need be, I'll hunt it up but no promises that I'll actually find it!
Posted on: 2008/1/17 23:48

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Posted on: 2008/1/18 1:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CFI-EFI RE:Rollbar?
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

If it is for show or just piece of mind, that is one thing. If it is for competition, make sure it meets or exceeds the rules/specification of the governing body whose rules you will be racing under, before you commit your hard earned.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/18 1:48

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
If it is for show or just piece of mind, that is one thing. If it is for competition, make sure it meets or exceeds the rules/specification of the governing body whose rules you will be racing under, before you commit your hard earned.

RACE ON!!!

Good advice. And aside from any other mandated specs, check wall thickness. .095" used to be the standard for most things but .120" minimum seems much more standard these days. Most kits are mandrel bent and should be. But also make sure it's seamless tubing. That's also generally required.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 2:08

Horsepower844182 RE:Rollbar?
Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

Quote:

RACE ON!!!

I wouldn't be racing it in events or anything, just some fun runs down the track whenever I got the chance. I know for a convertible you have to have a rollbar for anything faster than a 13.5 (which i sure hope this thing will do lol) and possibly even a helmet. I just want to pass basic tech inspection and be able to make a full run down the 1/4 mile without worrying about running too fast to get kicked out.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 5:47

bogus RE:Rollbar?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Any organizer will follow some rules for rollbars.

You will be going fast... you need rollover protection. Get a good one and don't risk dying.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 6:00

BillH RE:Rollbar?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

RACE ON!!!

Good advice. And aside from any other mandated specs, check wall thickness. .095" used to be the standard for most things but .120" minimum seems much more standard these days. Most kits are mandrel bent and should be. But also make sure it's seamless tubing. That's also generally required.

Yep, for cars weighing 3,000 to 4,000 (roadrace) the spec is .120 x 1.750dia and must be DOM (seamless).
Posted on: 2008/1/18 15:56

Lichen RE:Rollbar?
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

I know Exotic Muscle's fabricator makes a beautiful roll-bar for the 'vert. Problem is, you have to notch your deck lid.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 19:22

CentralCoaster RE:Rollbar?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

No offense, but your car (if stock) isn't going to do 13.5 easily, maybe not until you get a little more wheel time.

Some types of racing require a rollbar on all verts regardless of speed.

If all you're doing right now is drag racing, I'd head to the track FIRST and see what times you're running. Even if you do squeak past 13.5, they'll either shake a finger at you and say don't do it again, or they'll send you home early. It's because of their insurance.

I wouldn't go investing a dime in the car yet, you should be spending that on the driver. Only money/time justified being spent on the car for you at this point is in making sure it's running properly and safe, which applies whether you're racing it or just letting your wife drive it to work.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 19:31

CentralCoaster RE:Rollbar?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Also have you considered getting a removeable hardtop? That sounds good to me if it makes your car legal, and more useful.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 19:32

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
I know for a convertible you have to have a rollbar for anything faster than a 13.5 (which i sure hope this thing will do lol) and possibly even a helmet.
For 1/4 mile racing, I have never heard of any track rejecting an NHRA legal roll bar. Unlike an example given, NHRA specs are not weight dependent. They vary by ET and body modifications. For your convertible with a stock body and full stock firewall, the basic roll bar is good down to 11.00 and up to 135 MPH. The bar must be a minimum of a 5 point, made from either 1 3/4" X .118" wall mild steel or 1 3/4" X .083" chromoly tubing. There is more to the specs, but those are the basics. I believe some of the road race or other motor sports sanctioning bodies that allow 4 point or bars of lesser specs.

Quicker than 14.00, you will need a helmet. Also with the roll bar, you will need a 5 point harness of you go faster than 13.50.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/18 20:01

dan0617 RE:Rollbar?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
I know for a convertible you have to have a rollbar for anything faster than a 13.5 (which i sure hope this thing will do lol) and possibly even a helmet.
For 1/4 mile racing, I have never heard of any track rejecting an NHRA legal roll bar. Unlike an example given, NHRA specs are not weight dependent. They vary by ET and body modifications. For your convertible with a stock body and full stock firewall, the basic roll bar is good down to 11.00 and up to 135 MPH. The bar must be a minimum of a 5 point, made from either 1 3/4" X .118" wall mild steel or 1 3/4" X .083" chromoly tubing. There is more to the specs, but those are the basics. I believe some of the road race or other motor sports sanctioning bodies that allow 4 point or bars of lesser specs.

Quicker than 14.00, you will need a helmet. Also with the roll bar, you will need a 5 point harness of you go faster than 13.50.

RACE ON!!!

That sounds similar to the IHRA rule book I was looking at. It's been a while since I looked but I think for my vert I need a 5 point bar but I don't think I need the harness till I reach 11.50 or somewhere around that. I think a 4 point bar would be ok but it wouldn't be legal, and I don't think I'd like a 5 point bar. I have prettymuch decided, when needed, to do what Central Coaster suggested. I think with the removable hard top I'm good down to 11.00. I'd have to look it up again to be sure tho.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 22:03

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
I don't think I'd like a 5 point bar. I have prettymuch decided, when needed, to do what Central Coaster suggested.
In NHRA, a coupe (a convertible with the removable hardtop is treated as a coupe) doesn't need a roll bar until it breaks the 11.00 mark If it doesn't have 5 points, NHRA won't recognize it. The drivers side bar CAN be a swing out and removable. In NHRA, when ever a roll bar is required, the 5 point harness is also.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/19 2:00

Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

Quote:
No offense, but your car (if stock) isn't going to do 13.5 easily, maybe not until you get a little more wheel time.

Only money/time justified being spent on the car for you at this point is in making sure it's running properly and safe, which applies whether you're racing it or just letting your wife drive it to work.

Just to clarify, it's not stock, and I'm not married lol

At least with the Firebird I didn't have to worry about rules, it was too slow lol
Posted on: 2008/1/19 3:42

Guru
Beaumont, TX
82 Posts

Also, does anyone have any pictures of a rollbar installed on a vert? What kind of look does it have?
Posted on: 2008/1/19 3:43

Mr_Mojo RE:Rollbar?
Senior Guru
Lakewood,NJ
225 Posts

Some good advice here. Take it to the track and see what it does. Then worry about adding a bar. Borrow or buy a hardtop and you'll be good down to 12.00(or maybe 11.50 now I think) Best thing about that is, you can remove the top and no worries of cutting up your car.

The bars mentioned from I/O and EM I don't think meet the requirements of NHRA, a custom job is the best way to go.

I do have pics somewhere, but I don't know where(I have thousands of pics scattered on vaious hard drives and CD's).

If I can find some, I'll post them.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 16:04

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.