Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
249 user(s) are online (221 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

rklessdriver Ended the season on a high note
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Well my racing season is complete. We ran the season finale on Halloween... And I WON!

We had 19 cars show up and by class rules whenever more than 16 cars show up we run a Quick 8 format where the top 8 qualifiers run each other (Quick 8 - Pro ladder) and the remaining cars run each other in what they call RS2 (in this case 11 cars in RS2 - also on a Pro Ladder).

My car ran well once I switched carburetors. Since the fuel corroding deal earlier this year my best carb has never been the same and after a huge backfire in second round qualifying I decided to just put my back up on and see what happens.

Did have some trouble and a good thrash between qualifying and first round eliminations to fix the starter (which unexpectedly broke while trying to crank the car to set the new carbs floats).

This is Q1. 5.67@117MPH with 1.26 60ft... FYI this pass was only good enough to qualify 10th.

[URL=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/M4H00297_zpsyoqdamzo.mp4]Resized Image[/URL]

You can hear the car lay down in high gear about 100ft from the finish line.... that's the carb leaning out and that has been the major carb problem I have been chasing.... thinking it was high air pressure in the hood or whatever.... turns out the fricken carb is just plain old screwed up from the fuel/moisture corrosion deal. Once I put my back up carb on the car ran fine (it's a bit rich)and the problems went away.

During the race, I ran a best of 5.61@121mph with a 1.26 60ft, a 5.70@121 with a 1.28 60ft (got greedy on the starting power and shook the tires) and (3) 5.62@121MPH with 1.21 60fts in a row to win RS2.

This is the final round in RS2.

Billy Williams vs Frank Peacock final round of Real Street 2 field

Posted by Maryland Performance Center Real Street on Sunday, November 1, 2015

There is a pic of me on the class Facebook page in the winners circle with the car and my buddy Chris who helped line me up and keep the car running good all race.... He broke his car on the first pass and stuck around to help me.

https://www.facebook.com/MPCRealStreet/?fref=ts

My friends Rob Falcone and Jamie Lindsey won the points championship for the season but crashed the car competing in the Season finale Quick 8 "Shoot Out".

Dave Guy won the Season finale Quick 8 "Shoot Out".

I personally did not qualify with a fast enough time to earn a spot in the quick 8 Shoot out (I was 10th so relegated to RS2) but hopefully next season I can get the car fast enough to run with those guys when we have more than 16 cars.

Once again - Guru's thanks for giving me a place to post about my racing exploits, show off my car and hard work.

Will
Posted on: 2015/11/3 15:52

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

GRIS Re: Ended the season on a high note
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7641 Posts

GOOD GOING, GUY :-)
Posted on: 2015/11/3 16:02

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Matatk Re: Ended the season on a high note
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Glad the carb swap fixed the problem. Too bad it took so long to figure it out.
Posted on: 2015/11/3 17:01

BillH Re: Ended the season on a high note
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Way to go Will.

Mason Dixon was 25 minutes from my house, been there sooo many times.
Posted on: 2015/11/3 19:29

rklessdriver Re: Ended the season on a high note
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Thanks guys. Stay tuned this winter.

I have some more upgrades to the chassis planned and a rebuild/re-fresh of the engine to do.

Engine
Definite replacement:

Roller lifters
Valve Springs/locks/retainers
Valve Job
Rings
Bearings
Cam Timing Belt
Block Hone
Rebuild Vacuum Pump

May need:

Block Bored & Honed
New oversized Pistons & Rings

I know I just new pistons & rings in her and they only have 2 races on them but that was a patch up repair job to finish out the season and I want to make sure everything internally in the engine is perfect for next year.

Also looking at converting my Intake Manifold to a 4500 Dominator flange and buying a new 4500 Dominator Carburetor.

I've been running the smaller 4150 series carbs for 3 yrs hoping to get a weight brake (most other heads up classes give one) but the promoter just isn't doing it, so I'm not going to limit myself anymore.....

The engine picked up so much power on the dyno with the bigger 4150 C&S 1000 carb over the 950 QFT that I'm going looking for all the power there is this year....

Chassis
Going to remove the Panhard bar and go with an "X Link track locator" like Pro Mod cars use.

May remove the front leaf spring and convert to coil overs.... I like the idea of keeping the stock leaf spring but for some reason we have to jack a bunch of pre-load into the Left Rear coil over spring to make the car sit level and scale out correctly.... Everything in the new 3 link rear suspension is square and straight, so something in the front suspension must be causing it... and the car has always sat higher on the Right Front.... could just be a bushing or spring cushion but I'm going to check it out and then make a decision.

Defiantly putting a mid motor plate in to stiffen the chassis up. There is going to be a hoop and some additional bars welded to the frame and roll cage to support this plate which goes between the tranny bell housing and engine block and it will really stiffen the chassis up.

May put front motor plates in... I really like the stock appearance of the motor mounts, but a motor plate would help stiffen the chassis up even more in conjunction with the rear one.

Switching rear tires. Going to run a radial tire next season. Either the MT 275 "Pro" ET radial or (hopefully) the MT 28X10.5 "Pro Bracket" radial slick (if they allow it this year). The car has worked great on bias ply slicks for a long time but Radials are so much faster if you can make them work and it's about time I stepped out of 1950's tire technology. Every top car in the class is running a radial...

Will
Posted on: 2015/11/3 20:22

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

bogus Re: Ended the season on a high note
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Way to go Will!

That thing launches like a bullet! Intense!

I would do the coil over conversion up front. The leaf spring has some strange unpredictable side effects... Reeves Callaway referred to the effect as "cross talk". I suspect it is a result of Dave McClellan expecting the leaf spring to work as both a spring and a sway bar.

Congrats on a great end to a rather crappy season!

Posted on: 2015/11/4 2:05

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

TommyT-Bone Re: Ended the season on a high note
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Great news and great write up.
Posted on: 2015/11/4 2:38

pianoguy Re: Ended the season on a high note
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Great to hear, Will - congrats!
Posted on: 2015/11/4 11:32

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Ultraman Re: Ended the season on a high note
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14737 Posts

Atta boy Will.....enjoy reading your posts......congrats!
Posted on: 2015/11/4 17:09

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.