Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
300 user(s) are online (211 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

teebee Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Morning guys..... a special to our Pearl Harbor veterans.
Posted on: 2016/12/7 13:24

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

teebee Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

I'e got several things to do in the shop today, plus, I have a follow up appointment about my upper GI/Colonoscopy, and then an appointment to give blood.

The predicted snow hasn't materialized, I'm guessing it is going to stay north of us. It's cold though and not supposed to warm much. A good day to be inside.
Posted on: 2016/12/7 13:27

Resized Image

istter1 Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

It is so hard to see what year this get is this woman is blocking the picture

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4251.JPG (73.50 KB)
5144_58481664049d9.jpg 720X640 px
Posted on: 2016/12/7 14:03

pianoguy Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Morning guys..... a special to our Pearl Harbor veterans.

Amen!

Gonna be a high "near 20" today, which is more than twice as warm as next Tuesday's high "near 8". Balmy. Meanwhile, I got a new Corvette calendar in the mail yesterday, much nicer than the one I had for this year. One month had a "1953 Corvette" - it was a '58. Another month had a "1971 Corvette" - it was a '69. Must be hard to get good help anymore.

Keep warm, Gurus!
Posted on: 2016/12/7 14:53

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

GRIS Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7645 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
It is so hard to see what year this get is this woman is blocking the picture

THERE A CAR IN THAT PICTURE?

MATT, YOUR PLASTIC PISTOL LOOKS COOL, HOPE IT SHOOTS AS WELL.

OVERCAST AND COLD IN THE NATIONS THIS MORNING, MAY GET WORSE AS THE DAY GOES ON. THE CHEROKEES ARE RESIGNED TO WINTER.

MUCHO WINDSHIELD-TIME YESTERDAY, LEFT HERE ABOUT 0830 & GOT BACK ABOUT 1700. UNLOADED AT HOT SPRINGS, HAD A GOOD TEX-MEX LUNCH AND CAME RIGHT BACK. SAM GOT A GOOD PRICE ON HIS SLOT MACHINES & BOUGHT A SWORD.

WE HAVE A SWORD DUE IN FROM JAPAN, ONE FORGED BY A YASUKUNI SHRINE SMITH. (YASUKUNI IS THE JAP VERSION OF VALHALLA) WE SHOULD MAKE A BUCK OFF THE RESALE. SAM HAS A SET OF HI-GRADE ARMY OFFICER FITTINGS THAT WE HOPE WILL FIT. WE SHALL SEE WHAT WE SHALL SEE :-)

Throwing the rascals out has become a game everyone wants to play, and the world has rarely seen so many deserving rascals. WES PRUDEN
Posted on: 2016/12/7 14:59

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

bogus Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I need to decorate the forum for the holidays! Gee... sneaking up on me.

The cold is nearly gone... I am still a bit congested, but not nearly sick any more. It's been a week. And I don't want to relive it. The upside? Got lots of naps in!!

I was watching a Pearl Harbor doc over the weekend. They interviewed survivors. One was Al Rodriquez. I met him and he signed is book for me back in 2004!! It was nice to see him alive and well. He used to be a frequent docent at the Memorial. Lovely fellow.

Watched another documentary claiming the "truth" about Pearl... The truth? Yea... we had the data, but because of how it was distributed and protected, no one had a full picture of what the data was telling them. Can you say we don't learn shit from our own mistakes?

Another aspect, as sad as it was... If we had used Magic (the code breaking people) it would have revealed we knew their code and they simply would have changed it. There was this naive belief at the time that our carrier fleet would have taken the Japanese fleet out... sorry, but that wasn't going to happen. Our planes, our pilots, everything, was not prepared for the professionals that were manning the IJN in 1941. Their fleet was new, ours was a bunch of left over tin cans from WWI.

WWII did what it had to do, and we were not in any position to do jack until late 1942, really.

On 2 September 1945, six years and one day after the Third Reich invaded poor Poland, starting WWII, the Japanese surrendered to the Allies on the deck of the USS Missouri (I have stood on the spot, it is rather intense, really). After the signing was done, some 1500 US air craft did a flyover. The one final exclamation point... reminding the Japanese leaders that surrender was really a good idea.

It also sent a message to the Soviets that we were in Japan and it was defended. That and the A-Bomb...

One final thought... the dropping of the atomic bombs was necessary. If for no other reason than the events gave the world the empirical information required to make sure it never ever happened again. Simulations were one thing, 80k people dead in 3 seconds is another. I do feel bad for those that suffered, but their suffering is not without some thanks for they showed us what tests never would have.

And for that reason, we have never seen another drop... by any military or paramilitary force.

My only hope is that it stays that way.

Posted on: 2016/12/7 16:17

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7645 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
My brother picked up a Sig 380. Talk about a nice little piece. Super accurate and exceptional build quality. Love it.

SIGS ARE REALLY HARD TO BEAT!
Posted on: 2016/12/7 16:47

teebee Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Amen Andy. I watched those also and thought the same thing.

Well, it has started snowing, not bad but the white stuff is coming down.

I've got three of my agenda items marked off the list already. Several more to go.

I'll check back later.
Posted on: 2016/12/7 16:48

Resized Image

Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7645 Posts

Quote:

One final thought... the dropping of the atomic bombs was necessary. If for no other reason than the events gave the world the empirical information required to make sure it never ever happened again. Simulations were one thing, 80k people dead in 3 seconds is another. I do feel bad for those that suffered, but their suffering is not without some thanks for they showed us what tests never would have.

"WAR IS HELL", SAID A FAMOUS FIRE-BUG, AS COULD BE ATTESTED BY THOSE WHO DIED IN LONDON, BERLIN, NANJING, AND DRESDEN.

I FIRMLY BELIEVE THOSE TWO BOMBS SAVED MORE LIVES THAN THEY TOOK.
THE GI'S WHO FOUGHT THE JAPS HATED THEM WITH AN INTENSITY SELDOM SEEN. HALSEY'S REMARK THAT AFTER THE WAR JAPANESE WOULD ONLY BE SPOKEN IN HELL WAS NOT UNTYPICAL OF THE FEELING. THE ENTIRE JAPANESE NATION WAS BEING PSYCHED UP TO FIGHT TO THE DEATH. THE INVASION OF JAPAN WOULD HAVE BEEN A BLOODLETTING UNSEEN SINCE THE DAYS OF GENGHIS KHAN AND TAMERLANE. THE CASUALTIES ON BOTH SIDES WOULD HAVE BEEN HORRENDOUS.
Posted on: 2016/12/7 17:13

bogus Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I agree. The US estimates were put at between 500,000 and 1,000,000 American casualties.

Considering that we lost only 409,000 service men and women, that would have been a huge percentage on one invasion. And I said "only", because the other combatants lost millions... the Russians lost somewhere in the neighbourhood of 40 million people... The Jewish community lost 6 million people... innocent people... the Germans lost 5 million plus... The Japanese lost 4 or 5 million.

I cannot imagine the Japanese losses if X-Day had occurred.
Posted on: 2016/12/7 17:55

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Ultraman Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

...and it amazes me that now Japan is one of our allies and we have free trade with Viet Nam........will we someday be buddy buddy with Afghanistan and Iran and such.......My parents and Grandparents never would have much to do with Japan or their goods. My grandmother was calling them damn Japs till the day she died......takes generations to move on.......

Well I got a call from my bride as she was heading up to Norfolk Ne.....to see her mom and tour a assisted living home. She had to be back by noon....her Tahoe dash was lit up like a Christmas tree and she was on reduced power.....she would stop and shut off and restart and that would get her about 5 or 6 miles......then go thru the whole thing again. It's about 16 degrees out now....took it to the Chevy Stealership up there and dropped it off and grabbed G-Ma's car and did what she needed to do and then brought the G mobile back home.

Throttle position sensor went bad........$300 bucks to get it replaced.....$101 dollars an hour labor. diagnostics were $175 of that......really? to plug in and read the code? geez....... 107K on the truck.......about the first problem we have had....GM had a recall but only VIN specific and we were not on the list...... Will go up and fetch it later this week......

Stay warm Guru's........
Posted on: 2016/12/7 18:55

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Ultraman Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

now that I recall we had a bearing go out on it but was taken care of by warranty I believe........all in all it coulda been worse......
Posted on: 2016/12/7 18:57

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

TommyT-Bone Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

DON"T DO IT. Have a decoration chat day or something. I don't want to look at a wreath till MLK day. ;)
Posted on: 2016/12/7 19:26

pianoguy Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

DON"T DO IT. Have a decoration chat day or something. I don't want to look at a wreath till MLK day. ;)

Resized Image
Posted on: 2016/12/7 19:38

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

vetteblondie Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Throttle position sensor went bad........$300 bucks to get it replaced.....$101 dollars an hour labor. diagnostics were $175 of that......really? to plug in and read the code? geez....... 107K on the truck.......about the first problem we have had....GM had a recall but only VIN specific and we were not on the list...... Will go up and fetch it later this week......

My BF argues that point alot. He's the master tech at our stealership here. Yes, the code reading is a plug and play deal, laptop involved a lot but still $$$. He says they charge 95/hr labor here. He adds that a ton of that is not going into HIS pocket however. Yet same stealership has taken away one of their two weeks of vaca and offer no benefits or overtime to techs.
Cold here, snow due they say - I hope for some reason winter simply doesn't happen. I have a ton to do inside the house still and don't even want to think about what's outside...
Posted on: 2016/12/7 19:40

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Marcus, we are friends with everybody until we're not. Iran under a dictatorship was our friend. Saudi Arabia remains on talking terms. Israel because the world needs an Israel. Canada is our friend until they unveil their plan for world domination.

This year Dec. 7th has a stronger meaning to Sue and I since we visited the memorial this past September. Sue spent a lot of time reading the wall and thinking of all the servicemen lost. Being a vet, I mourn the loss of all our brothers and sisters and those left maimed giving service to our great nation. There are many people who claim citizenship in the US that don't deserve that protection, none the less, they get it. The freedom we share thanks to the blood of our soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines.

The Japanese woke a sleeping giant. The fight in the Pacific, brutal. The Germans, Russians, Allied forces engaged in all out warfare. Stories untold, nightmares created, lives destroyed. Nations left in ruins. One good thing came out of it all though. ......... Hot rods built by returning vets. ...... Later, muscle cars ladened with bonus checks to be spent ............. Somehow I got sidetracked ....... ;)
Posted on: 2016/12/7 19:48

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

My BF argues that point alot. He's the master tech at our stealership here. Yes, the code reading is a plug and play deal, laptop involved a lot but still $$$. He says they charge 95/hr labor here. He adds that a ton of that is not going into HIS pocket however. Yet same stealership has taken away one of their two weeks of vaca and offer no benefits or overtime to techs.
Cold here, snow due they say - I hope for some reason winter simply doesn't happen. I have a ton to do inside the house still and don't even want to think about what's outside...

Ya, I know the story. Side work is the bread and butter. Opening your own small garage is the next best thing.
Posted on: 2016/12/7 19:52

vetteblondie Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

He probably makes as much on the side as he does at the job. He was gone for a few hours midday Sunday and came back in with just over $400. Long as the house note gets paid I'm not worried. One more reason I want to hurry and get through all the boxes in the shop of the house stuff. He now has a warm dry place to do some side work when he wants to and not be out in the elements.
Posted on: 2016/12/7 21:08

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7645 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Our planes, our pilots, everything, was not prepared for the professionals that were manning the IJN in 1941. Their fleet was new, ours was a bunch of left over tin cans from WWI.

ANYONE INTERESTED IN THE COMPARATIVE EFFECTIVENESS AND PROFESSIONALISM OF THE USN & IJN AT THE BEGINNING OF THE WAR SHOULD READ "NEPTUNE'S INFERNO" BY HORNFISCHER. THE ONLY REALLY EFFECTIVE TRAINING FOR WAR IS WAR ITSELF. EDUCATION IS ALWAYS EXPENSIVE, AND THE PRICE OF OUR EDUCATION IN 1941 WAS VERY HIGH INDEED.
Posted on: 2016/12/8 0:21

Matatk Re: Pearl Harbor Day 12-7-2016
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Gris...the plastic gun is a winner. Shoots straight.

I ran into a couple of 14 yo boys today....asked them what was 12/7 and why is it important. They couldn't tell me....the future of our nation.
Posted on: 2016/12/8 4:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.