Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
238 user(s) are online (218 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sheet Molded Compound
Also known as SMC.

This is the stuff that all C4 Corvettes are made of.

It’s similar to fiberglass, but much more durable.

The only issu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

If a optometrist(eye doctor) writes you a note that says you *need* 10% tint because of sensitivity to light and that the patient has a astigmatism, and the note is on the doctors letterhead and states if there is any quiestions regarding this please contact the doctor....phone # on there ect....and it is notorized, can the cop give you a ticket or can it be easily thrown out in court with the note? Please don't bring up sunglasses because I have polarized ones that are 9% as well. Thanks.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 16:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone RE:If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Is astigmatism relieved by the benificial introduction of cannabis sativa?
Maybe you can get a doctors note for that too. Medical need can often override ordinance. What does the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) say I wonder. Maybe you can sue the shirt off of them.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 16:59

RollaMo-LT4 RE:If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

In Missouri, you take that Doctor's not to the DMV and they will then issue you something (not sure exactly how it's done) that will allow darker tint.

But I don't think just having the doctors note with you is enough for a law enforcement officer. They need to see something from the state that exempts you from the law (if there is a law about tint).
Posted on: 2008/2/12 17:07

NC Kid RE:If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:
Maybe you can get a doctors note for that too. Medical need can often override ordinance. What does the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) say I wonder. Maybe you can sue the shirt off of them.

I wear contacts if thats what your asking.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 17:07

NC Kid RE:If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:
In Missouri, you take that Doctor's not to the DMV and they will then issue you something (not sure exactly how it's done) that will allow darker tint.

But I don't think just having the doctors note with you is enough for a law enforcement officer. They need to see something from the state that exempts you from the law (if there is a law about tint).

Thanks.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 17:08

CSS996 RE:If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I wear contacts if thats what your asking.

Now THAT'S funny, right there!

I'm pretty sure "Teh Pot" is not a treatment. Too bad.... Astigmatism... I has it!
Posted on: 2008/2/12 17:16

Jeffvette RE:If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

A cops job is not to decide the right or wrong on the side of the road. He is there to enforce it. It is then up to you to fight it in court with your evidence and make the appropriate corrections to ensure it from happening again.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 17:20

DrEvil RE:If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Guru
Get in mah belly!
71 Posts

I know from my perspective if a motorist tells me something like that I'm most likely going to be skeptical and let them decide it in court. I also doubt that I'd be worried too much about tint in the first place though. Most times its a judgement call by the LEO anyways.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 21:21

Matatk RE:If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Well, first off, a police officer can write you a ticket for anything he reasonably believes in good faith to be in violation of the law. If you want to fight it in court, that's your right.

However, from searching your state's laws (I'm assuming you are still in North Carolina?) your approach is incorrect. In summary, according toChapter 20 § 20‑127 of NC law, if you have have a medical condition requiring tint, you must apply in writing to the Driver's Medical Evaluation Program and have your doctor fill out the appropriate form for that division. If approved, you will get a permit valid for 5 years to place in the lower left corner of your window between the tint and the window. If you don't have that sticker, it's a $200 fine.

Here's a link to your state laws:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLe ... Chapter_20/GS_20-127.html

Good luck,

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/2/12 21:42

dan0617 RE:If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

If you were supposed to take that letter and get a permit then they can fine you, but if you go to court and tell them you didn't know you needed a permit (if you really didn't know) they most likely will not fine you. They will make you get the permit. I also agree that the cop isn't going to check to see if your letter is valid or bogus on the side of the road, that is what the magistrate is for.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 23:57

Danspeed1 RE:If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Quote:
A cops job is not to decide the right or wrong on the side of the road. He is there to enforce it. It is then up to you to fight it in court with your evidence and make the appropriate corrections to ensure it from happening again.

I agree with Jeff,

The police are not there to determine whether or not you should be exempt for the law because of you medical issues, thats for the court to decided. So if you get stopped, chances are you are going to be issued a ticket. That doesn't mean that when you get to court they will not throw it out because they very well may. But personally, if i was a police officer and I stopped you and you gave me that excuse.... honest or not, I wouldn't believe you. Many of my friends are cops and they here excuses, excuses and nothing but excuses every time they stop somebody. Also, thats really a sorry excuse for tinting your windows; the window you look through 95% of the time is the windsheild and good luck getting the courts to sign off on tinting that. Tinting your windsheild poses a saftey issue to polices officers and other people on the road, especially at night....

With that said, I don't have an eye problem and I still have my windows tinted 20% all the way around :thumbleft: ... but I know the repercussions of getting stopped.
DG
Posted on: 2008/2/13 0:08
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

CentralCoaster RE:If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Better yet, get the permit, have your tint guy peel it back and stick it on there, then take pictures, and explain to the judge that you didn't know but after getting ticketed you researched it and got into compliance.

You were technically breaking the law, but you weren't doing anything wrong. A reasonable judge should throw that out. If you don't get the sticker, he may just assume you're trying to jerk the system around with your doctor's note just to get dark tint and you don't want to make an effort to be legal.

I'm not a law enforcer, but I have much experience with them. :thumbright:

In California, you also have the option to try and contact the officer to convince them revise the ticket, and bypass the courts altogether. He may not give you the time of day though.
Posted on: 2008/2/13 0:10

CasetheCorvetteman Re: If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
because of sensitivity to light and that the patient has a astigmatism.

That has very little if anything to do with being sensitive to light mate.

A`stig´ma`tism
n. 1. (Med. & Opt.) A defect of the eye or of a lens, in consequence of which the rays derived from one point are not brought to a single focal point, thus causing imperfect images or indistinctness of vision.

Dark tint will do nothing whatso ever for that, and i have tried it. I wear contact lens, and also suffer from astigmatism. Wear your sunglasses if you think it helps. Any doctor that will write you a note for that is lying, and i dont know of any optometrist in this country that would be willing to stake his reputation on something like that, especially when sunglasses will work alot better than dark tint.
Posted on: 2008/2/13 6:47

bogus RE:If your a cop or you know laws, step inside.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Tint helping an astigmatism? not a chance...

I had a waiver in Delaware, but that is because my family has a history of glochoma... and tint will help that.
Posted on: 2008/2/13 19:59

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.