Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
184 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98
The GM designation for the 5.7 liter, (350 cubic inch), TPI motor. This motor was used in other GM vehicles, but was used in the Corvette from 1985 t...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Exhaust Manifold Bolt Shoulders?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Since I'm installing Hooker Shorties, I figured I could get away with wire wheeling the old bolts and using them to install the headers. Well, it appears that the bolts have a shoulder and skirt around them that prevent seating the bolt next to the header tube.

What bolts should I use? Do I have to grind the shoulders off all these bolts? That would suck. Some of the bolts have both ends threaded to secure accessories too.

Any suggestions from you wise exhaust gurus?
Posted on: 2008/2/23 13:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

toptechx6 RE:Exhaust Manifold Bolt Shoulders?
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Check out Jegs or Summit for a huge selection of header bolts to suit nearly any set, most use a smaller head with washer to make installation easier.
Posted on: 2008/2/23 15:59

BBShark RE:Exhaust Manifold Bolt Shoulders?
Guru Newb
Cincinnati, OH
29 Posts

I used 12point flange head screws on mine. I got them from Mcmaster-Carr. Solved my socket clearance problem and you still have the flange on the screw.
Posted on: 2008/2/23 16:32

jsup RE:Exhaust Manifold Bolt Shoulders?
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

get the ARP with the 3/16 allen wrench provision in the middle of the bolt. This helps in tight spaces.

I ground off that shoulder on mine for the AC and oil stick bracket.
Posted on: 2008/2/23 16:41

biggrizzly RE:Exhaust Manifold Bolt Shoulders?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Thanks guys - I went to Advance Auto and looked at the crap they had on the shelf and walked out empty handed. I'm probably going to order the ARP bolts from Summit and then use the accessory bracket bolts from my factory fasteners with the shoulders ground off.
Posted on: 2008/2/23 17:03

toptechx6 RE:Exhaust Manifold Bolt Shoulders?
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

It would be kind of slick if someone would make an assortment package since the position often dictates the type of bolt that will work best, but suppose that is dreaming.
Posted on: 2008/2/23 17:40

MK 82 RE:Exhaust Manifold Bolt Shoulders?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:
Thanks guys - I went to Advance Auto and looked at the crap they had on the shelf and walked out empty handed. I'm probably going to order the ARP bolts from Summit and then use the accessory bracket bolts from my factory fasteners with the shoulders ground off.

That's what I did on my 86.
Posted on: 2008/2/23 21:50

Notorious RE:Exhaust Manifold Bolt Shoulders?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I use 3/8" x 1" NC stainless bolts w/ a 5/16" allen head. If you have a bolt specialty shop locally (such as Fastenal or etc.) you can get a set of them for under $10. Much cheaper than buying equal quality "header" bolts. I've been using the same set for quite awhile. And after the initial recheck and re-tightening once you've gone through a heat cycle or two, I've never had a problem with loosening. I also use copper gaskets and have stainless steel headers with 3/8" flanges.
You may have to retain and reuse one or two of your stock bolts with suitable spacers, to retain any critical component reinforcing brackets.
Posted on: 2008/2/23 23:06

Strick RE:Exhaust Manifold Bolt Shoulders?
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:
I use 3/8" x 1" NC stainless bolts w/ a 5/16" allen head. If you have a bolt specialty shop locally (such as Fastenal or etc.) you can get a set of them for under $10. Much cheaper than buying equal quality "header" bolts. I've been using the same set for quite awhile. And after the initial recheck and re-tightening once you've gone through a heat cycle or two, I've never had a problem with loosening. I also use copper gaskets and have stainless steel headers with 3/8" flanges.
You may have to retain and reuse one or two of your stock bolts with suitable spacers, to retain any critical component reinforcing brackets.

I did the exact same thing. The only OEM bolts I used were the ones holding the a/c and alt bracket braces with a standoff. Oh, I also used the OEM bolt that holds the dip stick plus a standoff. The only grinding I had to do was on the brace so it would fit next to the tube.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/2/23 23:44

Notorious RE:Exhaust Manifold Bolt Shoulders?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

I did the exact same thing. The only OEM bolts I used were the ones holding the a/c and alt bracket braces with a standoff. Oh, I also used the OEM bolt that holds the dip stick plus a standoff. The only grinding I had to do was on the brace so it would fit next to the tube.

I carefully ground the mounting bracket off of my dipstick tube, finished it and repainted it. You can't tell it was ever there. I then attached it below the head, with a cushion clamp and simple bracket, utilizing an unused, threaded hole in the block. Not only does it hold it securely, but it also allows me to turn the tube at will, making plug changes and R&Rring the RH valve cover easier.
What's the latest, Tom? Are you and your group going to visit the shop anytime soon? I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted on: 2008/2/23 23:56

Strick RE:Exhaust Manifold Bolt Shoulders?
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I carefully ground the mounting bracket off of my dipstick tube, finished it and repainted it. You can't tell it was ever there. I then attached it below the head, with a cushion clamp and simple bracket, utilizing an unused, threaded hole in the block. Not only does it hold it securely, but it also allows me to turn the tube at will, making plug changes and R&Rring the RH valve cover easier.
What's the latest, Tom? Are you and your group going to visit the shop anytime soon? I look forward to hearing from you.

With a group this big, everything needs to be approved. I'll be up there as soon as I change my rear bearings which I haven't bought yet. How come the image posting doesn't work?
Posted on: 2008/2/24 21:15

CentralCoaster RE:Exhaust Manifold Bolt Shoulders?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Why not just install some sleeves under the bolts? Then you can actually get a wrench on them.
Posted on: 2008/2/26 0:55

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.