Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
304 user(s) are online (267 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

vetteblondie Just found out (finally)
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Will be putting on my 4th opti......

Wet, nasty, broke all that crap
Parts got here Saturday. I so far like this new mechanic, he's been up front with me and is actually getting into it and finding things that need addressed and is more than willing to show me what he finds and explains things.
He tried to look for other things before getting into that. Gets me in there and points it all out to me.... makes me feel a lot better about him working on it. Hell I ought to have a new car almost. I've done a ton of crap to it. Little Heffa has new tires, new rack, new shocks, new alternator, water pump, fuel pump, brake booster, heater core, pke unit, ignition control module, 02 sensor, 02 sensor wiring harness, opti wiring harness and soon new opti. A dang teenager would be cheaper.....
And, Little Miss better not show her butt when she comes back home. Got new headlight bushings, spoiler and lugnut covers (thanks Casey) waiting on her when she gets home!
(Along with a date with the soap and water bucket)
Posted on: 2008/3/17 18:45

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

MAXXWRENCH Re: Just found out (finally)
Senior Guru
COLORADO
118 Posts

MEANS A LOT & GOES A LONG WAY WHEN YA CAN GET A MECHANIC THAT ACTUALLY SHOES & EXPLAINS EVERYTHING TO YOU....THAT IS WHAT WE DO HERE...THAT WAY THE CUSTOMER KNOW WHY WE ARE DOING WE ARE.
Posted on: 2008/3/17 19:39

kentucky_vetter Re: Just found out (finally)
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

Sounds like you finally found a good mechanic. Dont let him get away !
Posted on: 2008/3/17 19:41

LD85 Re: Just found out (finally)
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

man the Opti must really suck..
Posted on: 2008/3/18 17:28

FLYINLOW90 Re: Just found out (finally)
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Wow you really have been through that thing haven't you???

Gary
Posted on: 2008/3/18 19:09

Notorious Re: Just found out (finally)
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

As a mechanic, I'm always more than willing to explain everything about a job to the customer, what I recommend doing about it and etc., for those who care to listen. And the machinist I use is the same way with me, explaining everything he does to the last detail. That's why I continue to use him. That of course and the fact that his work is always flawless.
I don't BS anyone, no need to in a properly run shop with competent help. I've always had customers loyal to me wherever I've worked. And as also the shop supervisor in this new job, this is indeed a well run shop where things are done my way.
Posted on: 2008/3/18 23:16

red_johnny Re: Just found out (finally)
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
As a mechanic, I'm always more than willing to explain everything about a job to the customer, what I recommend doing about it and etc., for those who care to listen. And the machinist I use is the same way with me, explaining everything he does to the last detail. That's why I continue to use him. That of course and the fact that his work is always flawless.
I don't BS anyone, no need to in a properly run shop with competent help. I've always had customers loyal to me wherever I've worked. And as also the shop supervisor in this new job, this is indeed a well run shop where things are done my way.
Bravo and hats off to you! Its really hard to find a honest AND good mechanic. I had mechanics who were crooks but were good and I had ones that were very honest but sucked. I have yet to find one that is both.
Posted on: 2008/3/19 1:40

vetteblondie Re: Just found out (finally)
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

He even got the car back in for one more last go around and recheck, found a screwed up vacuum line from pcv, fixed it, I paid him in cash for all the work, (quite a long list) so he knocked a small tad off the bill.... Car is home as of an hour ago, ran fine getting here. But, given all my issues, LOL I'm scared to get too far out in the thing. Did manage to get those lugnut covers on though. Gonna drive it for a while and see how it goes. Thanks all of you for your support and kind shoulders offered to catch my whining!!!
Posted on: 2008/3/19 22:50

Resized Image

Oaklands Re: Just found out (finally)
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Congrats. I am glad to hear you got a good mechanic who could fix your problems. It has been a long road for you. Now, go drive it and enjoy it.
Posted on: 2008/3/19 23:21

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Drove it like I stole it! Seems ok, runs great, but something with that front end just quite isn't right yet, tho. Feel (and hear) strange things from the driver's side. Feel it in my left foot when it's on the floorboard while I'm driving, slight pulling sometime, and sounds like gravel or something up there, kinda like it did before the new rack assembly. But, the man at the front end place gave me a year to bring it back. Will call him first thing in the morning. But, after $2000 the rest of it seems ok for the moment!
Posted on: 2008/3/20 3:44

Resized Image

jhammons01 Re: Just found out (finally)
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
As a mechanic, I'm always more than willing to explain everything about a job to the customer,

I like to call what you describe as the "it is what it is" attitude. There is no reason to BS. Cars break, Honda has spent millions trying to stop them from "Breaking" yet they continue to break.

You sit back and explain to the customer..."It is broken and here is why and how" You're business can't help but grow.

I do the same thing....just with defense contractors....."It is what it is" and trying to make it into something that "It isn't" is just hurting everyone involved.
Posted on: 2008/3/20 16:45

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Let us know what the front end man says.
Posted on: 2008/3/21 3:08

93Moneypit Re: Just found out (finally)
Guru Newb
Santa Cruz Ca
38 Posts

If it sounds like gravel in the front end or it shimmy's when breaking it probably the front wheel bearings.

Sounds like you have a good mechanic there it will all be worth it when it done hang in there.
Posted on: 2008/3/21 9:19

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Just found out (finally)
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

LD85 wrote:

No, that is a common misconseption, they are exceptionally good, especially the environment in which they operate. Im yet to have to replace mine.
Posted on: 2008/3/23 9:20

biggrizzly Re: Just found out (finally)
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Quote:

LD85 wrote:

No, that is a common misconseption, they are exceptionally good, especially the environment in which they operate. Im yet to have to replace mine.

I agree with Case - Mine had a !50k miles on it when I pulled it and was still working great. However, when I removed it, I was surprised it was still working when I saw the crap that had found a home on it, and in it.

I got a new MSD unit now, so we will see if it lasts as long as the original did.
Posted on: 2008/3/23 14:47

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Quote:

Oaklands wrote:
Let us know what the front end man says.

Front end man said it was a pin or bolt gone from the caliper on driver's side, and then car died again - hell. That so far has turned out to be a Coolant Temp Sensor. We'll see - geez, you guys almost need to make me my own complaint/soap opera/saga-drama room for this thing :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/3/24 19:27

Resized Image

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

You are going to have a fine rebuilt automobile when you get done. Man oh man!!
Posted on: 2008/3/24 23:40

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Lets hope its all better after all this....
Posted on: 2008/3/24 23:42

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.