Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
267 user(s) are online (227 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NCM
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Notorious Well this sucks.....
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Is nothing sacred? While I have no problem with imports and fair trading in general, China, being still a communist country, is one I'd rather not support. And although they've become more capitalist in recent years, I still have no assurance that there has been any major reform as to their respect for basic human rights. But I digress.
Screw you, GM.....
Chinese engines in Chevys
Posted on: 2008/3/30 19:34

TommyT-Bone Re: Well this sucks.....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

If they have breaks like they do at the Toyota plant I'd go build the engines in China myself. (Check your email).
Posted on: 2008/3/30 19:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious Re: Well this sucks.....
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
If they have breaks like they do at the Toyota plant I'd go build the engines in China myself. (Check your email).

For days now, I've been cleaning up my computer so it'll have the speed it once had. And so I can kick your ass in the next Corvette trivia game!
And now you're sending me more crap to bog it down again? Uh-huh, now I see the big picture..... I'm filing a formal protest!

Okay, I'll read it. But then I'm deleting it, purging my files, etc.!!!!!!!!
Posted on: 2008/3/30 19:55

bogus Re: Well this sucks.....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

My biggest concerns with China are two fold:

1. The obvious lack of human rights. The Party still holds absolute power over the people. And it makes me sick.

2. This is more technical - they have crap foundries. I would not want to buy anything cast/forged in China.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 20:26

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Notorious Re: Well this sucks.....
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

2. This is more technical - they have crap foundries. I would not want to buy anything cast/forged in China.

Hey, I don't need anything else to worry about, referring to the Eagle crank and rods in my engine!
But see, that's the problem and so I'm as guilty as anyone. It was the only way that I could afford the combination of lightweight, yet forged components that I desired when building my current engine. The good news is that Eagle and Scat forgings and castings are sent here raw. They're then (hopefully adequately) magna-fluxed and machined here. Problems have been few but tolerances should always be checked, as with anything.
Yes, I'd have preferred to have Callies, Crower, Lunati, etc. components. But they just weren't in the budget for this poor old workin' boy. No excuses but that's just the way it is. Current trade and economic policies make it virtually impossible to avoid Chinese crap completely, no matter how much you wish you could. And I'm not blaming one party or political philosophy more than the other. They're both guilty and generally corrupt in all too many cases.
The only solution is to elect me king of the world for life. I'll straighten things out, I promise!

My platform:
An IQ test, cognizant abilities test and a certificate of achievement from a high performance driving school will be required to get a driver's license.
All minivans will immediately be driven and fed into the nearest crusher. And their owners/drivers will be fully evaluated for mental retardation.
Talking on a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle will be a capital offense. And doing so while driving a minivan will be grounds for immediate execution w/o a trial.
All rice-mobiles, dubs and other rolling jokes will also report w/o delay to the nearest crusher site. And their owners will be held up for public ridicule.
Having a stereo that shakes the walls of dwellings will be grounds for immediate execution. Playing rap-crap on it will mandate a slow and painful death. The same goes for unmuffled Harleys and all other annoying noise makers.
We'll solve the energy crisis by using the corpses of child molesters, murderers, rapists, and all other manner of scum, to fuel our power-plants with the gases from their otherwise worthless, decomposing flesh.
Please contact me via PM as to where to send your campaign contributions. Gold, premium gasoline, Michelob, attractive virgins, nymphomaniacs (or other loose women), as well as cash, are all acceptable and tax-deductible contributions.
Thank you in advance. You won't regret it....
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:24

Oaklands Re: Well this sucks.....
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

I guess one day we are not going to make anything in the U.S. It's a shame. What happens when someone decides they want to cut us off and we don't have the facilities to make the products? It might sounds a little far fetched but stranger things have happened.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 3:30

JeepCycle Re: Well this sucks.....
Guru Newb
Nesquehoning, PA...Pocono Mt.s
30 Posts

There won't be anyone left with the skills to do it anyway...Manual labor has become taboo in this country...it's only fashionable to get sweaty at the Health club and dirty when you are out backpacking...or doing who knows what extreme sport...

JC
Posted on: 2008/3/31 6:25

Mr_Mojo Re: Well this sucks.....
Senior Guru
Lakewood,NJ
225 Posts

Aftermarket companies have been making parts in China for a very long time.
A well known supplier of valves and such right in my town gets raw castings from China but finishes them here. Only the top dollar high end NHRA stuff gets made here and I'm not even sure of that.
Craftsman tools, the majority are made in China. Torque wrenches used to carry a one year warrnty(maybe lifetime at one point) but now are reduced to three months.

I'm having a hard time finding anything not made in a fooreign country with China leading the way.

I even found a website for American made products, but even they admit that only a percentage of the product needs to be made here to be considered "Made In USA"

If anyone knows where I can find a listing of products that are 100% made in USA, I'd like to have it.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 12:02

toptechx6 Re: Well this sucks.....
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Hey, I don't need anything else to worry about, referring to the Eagle crank and rods in my engine!
But see, that's the problem and so I'm as guilty as anyone. It was the only way that I could afford the combination of lightweight, yet forged components that I desired when building my current engine. The good news is that Eagle and Scat forgings and castings are sent here raw. They're then (hopefully adequately) magna-fluxed and machined here. Problems have been few but tolerances should always be checked, as with anything.
Yes, I'd have preferred to have Callies, Crower, Lunati, etc. components. But they just weren't in the budget for this poor old workin' boy. No excuses but that's just the way it is. Current trade and economic policies make it virtually impossible to avoid Chinese crap completely, no matter how much you wish you could. And I'm not blaming one party or political philosophy more than the other. They're both guilty and generally corrupt in all too many cases.
The only solution is to elect me king of the world for life. I'll straighten things out, I promise!

My platform:
An IQ test, cognizant abilities test and a certificate of achievement from a high performance driving school will be required to get a driver's license.
All minivans will immediately be driven and fed into the nearest crusher. And their owners/drivers will be fully evaluated for mental retardation.
Talking on a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle will be a capital offense. And doing so while driving a minivan will be grounds for immediate execution w/o a trial.
All rice-mobiles, dubs and other rolling jokes will also report w/o delay to the nearest crusher site. And their owners will be held up for public ridicule.
Having a stereo that shakes the walls of dwellings will be grounds for immediate execution. Playing rap-crap on it will mandate a slow and painful death. The same goes for unmuffled Harleys and all other annoying noise makers.
We'll solve the energy crisis by using the corpses of child molesters, murderers, rapists, and all other manner of scum, to fuel our power-plants with the gases from their otherwise worthless, decomposing flesh.
Please contact me via PM as to where to send your campaign contributions. Gold, premium gasoline, Michelob, attractive virgins, nymphomaniacs (or other loose women), as well as cash, are all acceptable and tax-deductible contributions.
Thank you in advance. You won't regret it....

Please consider my application to be your running mate, "Vice President in charge of Vice".
Posted on: 2008/3/31 12:41

CentralCoaster Re: Well this sucks.....
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

GM has put itself in this position.

Who coulda seen it coming that one day Toyotas would be made in Kentucky, and Chevys made in China.

So what happens if we close off the ports? We can't compete with slave labor, or even legit Chinese labor.

Here they are making your copper water pipes, yup that's glowing red hot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMIK--gz-rk

And your stamped metal seat brackets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMOBqRVDOYQ&feature=related

How much money would you do this work for?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3zJDJknZ6w&feature=related

Who can you believe anyways?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGF2Q9MpvLs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2TLl6Nj6Oo

But for a fun perspective, read here: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/31049
Posted on: 2008/4/1 1:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.