Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
297 user(s) are online (248 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH350
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.52
2nd Gear: 1.52
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1969 thru 1979.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

corvetteronw Might be moving to Nevada
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

We will be in Vegas the 2nd week of April during my wife's spring break (she is a middle school principal).
She wants to retire to somewhere warm. We have always liked Vegas but are not really high roller types.
Did some searching and found a town about 50 miles to the North named Pahrump. Some Google searches show that there are about 33,000 people living there. They have a sattelite branch of a college where my wife could be an ajunct professor. They have a 40 bed hospital where I might be able to work too.
Housing is affordable.
My wife has sisters who live in Big Bear, California and another in Colorado Springs who will soon be moving to Torrance, California.
Pahrump has a track named Spring Valley Raceway (I think that is the name?). They have a driving school there that teaches performance driving with Z06 Corvettes. Maybe I could get a job there as a track jockey!
Pahrump also has 2 brothels! One of them is called the Chicken Ranch. I will probably never become a customer but I'll try to get my wife to take a pic of me wearing my Corvette Guru T-shirt in front of the joint and then post it here.
Anyone have any more info on the town? Anyone ever visited the Chicken Ranch?
Posted on: 2008/3/31 0:52

TommyT-Bone Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:
corvetteronw wrote: They have a 40 bed hospital where I might be able to work too. Anyone ever visited the Chicken Ranch?

Chicken Ranch? That's probably why they need a 40 bed hospital.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 1:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bastet44 Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

I don't have info on Pahrump, but I do on Torrance. =)
Posted on: 2008/3/31 1:35

bogus Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I don't know what kinda world you are all used to, but if you are going from big town to small town in middle of nowhere, it's a bit of a culture shock!

Again... Torrance, that's easy.

I have heard of Pahrump... I am familier with the driving school. Seen it advertized. That could be way fun, tho!
Posted on: 2008/3/31 2:27

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Ramrod Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

It's not warm, IT HOT during summer. Cools down to 105 at night. It's a bit Isolated, ever thought of Kingman Arizona? or something in a mountain area? Big Bear is ok if you don't mind the snow for a month or two. If your into four wheeling both places have some good trails.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 2:29

Oaklands Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Hmmm the Chicken Ranch. Tastes like chicken I guess?
Posted on: 2008/3/31 3:22

BillH Re: Might be moving to Nevada
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The racetrack is Spring Mountain. The school has a very good reputation.

I don't particually like Vegas that much but it's fine for the tourists.
I've been in Pahrump, it's kinda isolated and as hot as Vegas in the summer.
I'm more partial to Northern Nevada, the weather's better.
There are some small towns up here and the colleges and new hospitals are consistantly hiring.
Sounds like you're set on being further south but if you want to know anything about N.Nevada, let me know. I've moved here 24 years ago from the east coast.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 15:09

CSS996 Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Can't help with the info. But I work in Colorado Springs. I would certainly do a road trip to Pahrump to buy you a beer though!
Posted on: 2008/3/31 16:11

RollaMo-LT4 Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

I was born and raised in Vegas.

When dad retired (Clark County Fire Chief), he moved back to Missouri. Mostly to get us kids out of that rat race.

This was in 1970, my sophomore year of high school

Don't ever move your kids once they start high school.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 18:20

Touringmike Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Right now, I got this stupid song stuck in my head.

So if you become a track bum, or any kind of bum for that matter, the song fits, even though it's a Christmas song.

Parump a bum bum.

Damn, I just can't get that tune outta my head.

Thanks, dude.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 2:27

corvetteronw Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Reno is out per my wife. She grew up in Los Angeles but I have kept her in Michigan most of her adult life. She likes the desert and never wants to see another snow flake. We had almost 10 ft total snow this winter! :pain10:
She was told that it does snow in the Reno area. I spent the early months of 1991 camped out in the high desert at Ft Irwin, CA and we would listen to Reno radio stations at night. I had volunteered for Desert Storm. They assigned me as the 48th Infantry Brigade's senior Xray Technician as the guy that had the job had a mother about to die of cancer and he got a deferment. The brigade was a Georgia National Guard unit that was supposed to round out the 24th Infantry Division if it ever went to war. Trouble was that they had never trained with all 8,000 personnel together. The Defense Dept pulled a unit out of Germany to go to Iraq instead and kept the 48th training in the desert.
I used to sleep outside under the stars on a stretcher. There was no light pollution anywhere and it felt like you were swimming in the Milky Way. Absolutely beautiful.
I will be getting another Corvette someday and the desert environment would be a great change from having to keep the car garaged from November to April!
I STILL think that there should be a Bloomington Gold/Carlisle type event out West. Maybe if I was out there I could help get er done in the Vegas area.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 4:20

corvetteronw Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
Can't help with the info. But I work in Colorado Springs. I would certainly do a road trip to Pahrump to buy you a beer though!

Great! My wife's sister and her husband work in the Colorado Springs public school system there as elementary teachers. I think Karen will retire in a couple of years and Mark already bailed out this year.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 4:25

JrRifleCoach Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
I STILL think that there should be a Bloomington Gold/Carlisle type event out West. Maybe if I was out there I could help get er done in the Vegas area.

It would be nice to have another CG forum brother out this way. Lots of fun stuff to do almost all the time. Always too much to do in the spring.

Best to do check your areas of LV carefully. Lots of rising problems with the gangstas. (everywhere for that matter) Cept in Nevada you can still own full autos.

GL
Posted on: 2008/4/1 4:29

bogus Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
Reno is out per my wife. She grew up in Los Angeles but I have kept her in Michigan most of her adult life. She likes the desert and never wants to see another snow flake. We had almost 10 ft total snow this winter! :pain10:
She was told that it does snow in the Reno area. I spent the early months of 1991 camped out in the high desert at Ft Irwin, CA and we would listen to Reno radio stations at night. I had volunteered for Desert Storm. They assigned me as the 48th Infantry Brigade's senior Xray Technician as the guy that had the job had a mother about to die of cancer and he got a deferment. The brigade was a Georgia National Guard unit that was supposed to round out the 24th Infantry Division if it ever went to war. Trouble was that they had never trained with all 8,000 personnel together. The Defense Dept pulled a unit out of Germany to go to Iraq instead and kept the 48th training in the desert.
I used to sleep outside under the stars on a stretcher. There was no light pollution anywhere and it felt like you were swimming in the Milky Way. Absolutely beautiful.
I will be getting another Corvette someday and the desert environment would be a great change from having to keep the car garaged from November to April!

It does snow in Vegas... not much, but I would think Pahrump is more prone.

Interesting about your service time. A friend of mine is in the GNG. Has been for a long time. I donno if he was ever in Nevada, tho.

As for a Carlisle/Bloomington type event? I am way ahead of you.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 6:01

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

FLYINLOW90 Re: Might be moving to Nevada
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I don't know what kinda world you are all used to, but if you are going from big town to small town in middle of nowhere, it's a bit of a culture shock!

I have no idea where it is and I have never been there but,East Overshoe Mi. Doesn't sound very big to me.

Good Luck on the move Ron. I too have always wanted to get somewhere warm but now that my daughter has had our grandson my wife ain't goin' nowhere!!!

Gary
Posted on: 2008/4/1 14:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.