Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
249 user(s) are online (201 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

bogus It is truly hard to believe... but...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Five years ago today, my older brother, Roy, passed away after a nearly two year battle with brain cancer. He was 52.

CRASH - you may want to stop reading this. If you want to talk, I am more than willing.

He was diagnosed August 1, 2001. His symptoms first started to appear in May, as he started to realized what he was experiencing. His first symptoms were just not feeling mentally right. His doctors attributed it to the sometimes long term effects of anethesia. Come mid-July, he has his first episode. He was parked when, for the lack of a better term, he phased out. He lost awareness (consciousness is unknown) and all he remembered was hearing loud music. He snapped out after an unknown amount of time and drove himself to the hospital. After a 3+ hour wait, he simply left. He felt better and they were not being all that speedy about seeing him.

The next even was about 10 days later. He was this time at a Boy Scout meeting (he was a troop leader). He was talking to one of the dads (and a friend) when the second such event occured. Again, loud music and gone. This time, though, his friends took him straight to the local hospital (which is right across the street from where the scout meeting was being held). They did an MRI.

The next morning we got the result... brain tumours in the left forward part of the brain - the speach center. He was transferred to the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center for a consult and they scheduled a biopsy. That was originally set for late September, with surgury to follow.

The tumours were growing way too fast, so they brought the biopsy up to Sept 13, and then canceled the biopsy as a separate event. The tumors were too ingrained in the grey matter to remove. The death warrant had been signed.

Over the next 18 months, they did radiation and chemo with little positive effect. He acquired other problems... incontenance, Parkinson like symptoms, vision problems, depression... The tumors did relent for a while in early 2003, but then came back with a vengance by April.

He died today, in 2003. Well, today is a bit nebulious. He was alive when my sister-in-law went to bed, but 10 hours later, he was cold. In April, they stopped chemo and gave him 6 months. There is one nasty little detail that I have learned about these predictions - change their measure from whatever to one less. So if it's months, it's actually weeks. I didn't want my family to be shocked, so I warned them about this... and followed, "For his sake, he won't make it to June." The last thing I wanted was my nephew to associate Christmas with his fathers death. I pretty much nailed it... as sad as it was, his personal hell was over.

I moved here to Torrance in 2004. Sometime in late 2004, not long after returning from Hawai'i, bastet and I were talking, and I shared this with her: "I just realized what isn't right. I don't have Roy to share these events with. Whenever one of us went on a trip, we would tell the other what we did, where we went, where we ate, that sorta thing... and I don't have him to tell that too anymore."

I didn't realize how much we did talk, even after he had become sick. In many ways, he died that day when the tumors first appeared, on others, he is still alive in well. Whatever the case my ultimately be, he is better off and in no pain.

Sorry for the long post...

Rest in Peace, brother...
Posted on: 2008/5/31 16:46

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

JrRifleCoach Re: It is truly hard to believe... but...
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Thanks for sharing Andy.
Posted on: 2008/5/31 16:54

Shadow Re: It is truly hard to believe... but...
Senior Guru
271 Posts

That took a lot to share that with us bro.

Thanks, and may you brother R.I.P.

Gordon
Posted on: 2008/5/31 18:20

The CF Artist fka: STREETKNIGHT..R.I.P.

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

www.CorvetteInternational.com

NC Kid Re: It is truly hard to believe... but...
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Thats sad. My grandmother passed away recently with lung cancer. Sorry about your loss.
Posted on: 2008/5/31 19:58

C4DERF Re: It is truly hard to believe... but...
Senior Guru
Home of the Masters; well Grovetown is close
332 Posts

Andy,

have you found that someone special woth whom you can share your present day experiences with? A major thing to remember is try to allways hold on to the special memories of the times you 2 shared your stories and such. As long as you do that his time on the planet will always be your good memories. God bless brother and thanks for sharing your story.
Posted on: 2008/5/31 21:37

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/c4derf/CasualCorvettes-SonicAug07011.jpg[/IMG]

crash Re: It is truly hard to believe... but...
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

ANDY
AS I TOLD TOMMY IKNOW YOUR LOSS TOO WELL AS I SAID MY OLDER BROTHER TAUGHT ME THE WAYS IN LIFE
AS HE WAS BEING PREPPED FOR HIS SECOND OPEN HEART SURGURY IN 10 YEARS MY FAMILY WAS IN THE WAITING ROOM AND 1 BY 1 WE WHERE ALLOWED TO GO IN AND SEE HIM I CHOSE NOT TOO AND LET OTHER MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY GO IN AND SEE HIM I TOLD MY MOTHER TO TELL HIM HY AND I WENT TO WORK
I DID SO THINKING ALL WOULD BE OK HOW WRONG I WAS HE DIED IN RECOVERY OF CARDIAC ARREST
TO THIS DAY I FEEL GUILTY FOR NOT GOING IN AND BEING WITH HIM
I DID WHAT I DID BELIEVING ALL WOULD GO WELL AND ID BE BULLSHITTING WITH HIM THAT NITE HOW WRONG I WAS AND THE LOSS OF NOT SEEING HIM BEFORE SURGURY STILL HAUNTS ME TO THIS DAY
AS FOR MY WIFE ROSIE I WAS THERE FROM THE START AND WILL BE TILL SHES DONE AND BEATS THIS THING
SHE BEAT BREAST CANCER 2 YRS AGO AND SHE WILL BEAT THIS SHE AINT NO QUITTER IN HER WORDS I WILL BEAT THIS 1 TOO
THIS WOMAN HAS BALLS BIGGER THAN KING KONG I MY SELF AM SCARED SHITLESS THIS IS MY BEST BUDDY AND FRIEND SHE WILL KICK ITS ASS FOR SURE PLEASE YALL SAY A PRAY FOR HER
THATS ALL SHE WANTS NO TEARS JUST PRAYERS
SORRY TO BE SO LONG WINDED AND THANKS TO A GREAT BUNCH OF PEOPLE
RICH A.K.A. CRASH
Posted on: 2008/5/31 22:16

bogus Re: It is truly hard to believe... but...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

C4DERF wrote:
Andy,

have you found that someone special woth whom you can share your present day experiences with? A major thing to remember is try to allways hold on to the special memories of the times you 2 shared your stories and such. As long as you do that his time on the planet will always be your good memories. God bless brother and thanks for sharing your story.

Yes. It wasn't so much as replacement, as much as it was understanding the vacuum existed. I have another brother in FL and my mom in Delaware, along with a wonderful wife (bastet44) to share these experiences with.

Thank you and you are welcome. All at the same time.
Posted on: 2008/5/31 22:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Shadow wrote:
That took a lot to share that with us bro.

Thanks, and may you brother R.I.P.

Gordon

Not as much as you think. I have always worn my heart on my sleave, as such, sharing like this comes natural to me. I feel if it creates enlightenment and understanding for others, then it's worth it.
Posted on: 2008/5/31 22:56

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

crash wrote:
ANDY
AS I TOLD TOMMY IKNOW YOUR LOSS TOO WELL AS I SAID MY OLDER BROTHER TAUGHT ME THE WAYS IN LIFE
AS HE WAS BEING PREPPED FOR HIS SECOND OPEN HEART SURGURY IN 10 YEARS MY FAMILY WAS IN THE WAITING ROOM AND 1 BY 1 WE WHERE ALLOWED TO GO IN AND SEE HIM I CHOSE NOT TOO AND LET OTHER MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY GO IN AND SEE HIM I TOLD MY MOTHER TO TELL HIM HY AND I WENT TO WORK
I DID SO THINKING ALL WOULD BE OK HOW WRONG I WAS HE DIED IN RECOVERY OF CARDIAC ARREST
I DID WHAT I DID BELIEVING ALL WOULD GO WELL AND ID BE BULLSHITTING WITH HIM THAT NITE HOW WRONG I WAS AND THE LOSS OF NOT SEEING HIM BEFORE SURGURY STILL HAUNTS ME TO THIS DAY
AS FOR MY WIFE ROSIE I WAS THERE FROM THE START AND WILL BE TILL SHES DONE AND BEATS THIS THING
SHE BEAT BREAST CANCER 2 YRS AGO AND SHE WILL BEAT THIS SHE AINT NO QUITTER IN HER WORDS I WILL BEAT THIS 1 TOO
THIS WOMAN HAS BALLS BIGGER THAN KING KONG I MY SELF AM SCARED SHITLESS THIS IS MY BEST BUDDY AND FRIEND SHE WILL KICK ITS ASS FOR SURE PLEASE YALL SAY A PRAY FOR HER
RICH A.K.A. CRASH

I am sorry about your brother, Rich. That is sad. I was lucky. I was able to visit Roy regularly up until he passed. I saw him last on Wednesday after work. By then, he was seriously foggy. The last remnants of him were going away...

Your wife sounds like a real trooper! God Speed for her TOTAL recovery. And if I can help, let me know.
Posted on: 2008/5/31 22:58

Notorious Re: It is truly hard to believe... but...
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I'd heard you speak of this before but this is the first time I've heard of the details to this extent. I hope that talking about it has helped you on this sad anniversary. I also hope you know that all of us here who know you are always more than willing to listen at any time.
Crash, I'll be thinking of you of you and your wife too. May all go well for you both.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 0:06

Livin_the_dream Re: It is truly hard to believe... but...
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

It is events like this that truly let us realize how fragile life is. It also reminds us to live life to the fullest and to do for our loved ones today rather than tomorrow. My thoughts and prayers go out to you Andy and to you as well Crash
Posted on: 2008/6/1 2:31

Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

crash wrote:
ANDY
RICH A.K.A. CRASH

I am sorry about your brother, Rich. That is sad. I was lucky. I was able to visit Roy regularly up until he passed. I saw him last on Wednesday after work. By then, he was seriously foggy. The last remnants of him were going away...

Your wife sounds like a real trooper! God Speed for her TOTAL recovery. And if I can help, let me know.

THANKS ANDY I WILL JUST TALKING ABOUT RELEIVES SOME OF THE TENSION AND WORRY
AGAIN THANKS TO ALL OF YOU
CRASH
Posted on: 2008/6/1 2:34

Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
I'd heard you speak of this before but this is the first time I've heard of the details to this extent. I hope that talking about it has helped you on this sad anniversary. I also hope you know that all of us here who know you are always more than willing to listen at any time.
Crash, I'll be thinking of you of you and your wife too. May all go well for you both.

NOTORIOUS
THANK YOU FOR THE KIND THOUGHTS
AND WORDS
I WILL KEEP YALL ABREAST AS WE GO THROUGH THE RADIATION PROCESS
AGAIN THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU
RICH A.K.A. CRASH
Posted on: 2008/6/1 2:38

C4DERF Re: It is truly hard to believe... but...
Senior Guru
Home of the Masters; well Grovetown is close
332 Posts

Crash,

Your wife, you and your family shall be in our prayers for a speedy and full recovery. We are all here for you brother.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 5:49

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/c4derf/CasualCorvettes-SonicAug07011.jpg[/IMG]

Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

Quote:

C4DERF wrote:
Crash,

Your wife, you and your family shall be in our prayers for a speedy and full recovery. We are all here for you brother.

c4derf
thank you for the kind words and prayers
crash
Posted on: 2008/6/1 11:09

Matatk Re: It is truly hard to believe... but...
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Wow Andy, truly sad story. I lost my grandfather to stage IV lung cancer. I was by his side every single day in the hospital for weeks. It was at the point where the cancer had spread to his brain. He didn't even remember me, but it didn't matter. One of the saddest parts of my life. Glad you shared your story.

Rich - best wishes for your wife and hope for a speedy recovery.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/6/1 21:32

TommyT-Bone Re: It is truly hard to believe... but...
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

It's strange how we go about our daily lives bitching about this and complaining about that. Then suddenly we get some news of something that really is shattering. The little things we thought were big, pale in comparrison to the occasional realities which we all must deal with. Though I've been no stranger to tragedy, it is never easy and requires strenghth that is often more than a single man can bear. My heart goes out to you CRASH and Andy and to all who undergo these trying times. I try always to remember the best of times and the power of positive thinking.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 22:42

Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

WELL GUYS FOR ROSE AND MYSELF WE SAY THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS-THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS
YALL ARE TRULY A GOOD GROUP OF PEOPLE
THANKS AGAIN
CRASH
Posted on: 2008/6/2 2:47

pianoguy Re: It is truly hard to believe... but...
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
It's strange how we go about our daily lives bitching about this and complaining about that. Then suddenly we get some news of something that really is shattering. The little things we thought were big, pale in comparrison to the occasional realities which we all must deal with. Though I've been no stranger to tragedy, it is never easy and requires strenghth that is often more than a single man can bear. My heart goes out to you CRASH and Andy and to all who undergo these trying times. I try always to remember the best of times and the power of positive thinking.

+1

Well-said!
Posted on: 2008/6/2 12:25

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

crash wrote:
WELL GUYS FOR ROSE AND MYSELF WE SAY THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS-THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS
THANKS AGAIN
CRASH

One more thought, Crash...

Duke.

As in Duke University. They have THE leading brain tumor research center. No questions asked. Be sure your wifes oncologists are in touch with them.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 5:19

Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

crash wrote:
THANKS AGAIN
CRASH

One more thought, Crash...

Duke.

As in Duke University. They have THE leading brain tumor research center. No questions asked. Be sure your wifes oncologists are in touch with them.

THANKS ANDY SHE IS GOING TO THE SITEMAN CANCER CENTER HERE IN ST LOUIS IT CONNECTED WITH THE BARNES JEWISH HOSP.HERE
HER SURGEON IS THE BEST IN THE MIDWEST
I AM TAKING HER DOWN TODAY TO GET FITTED FOR HER RADIATION MASK AND GET THE REST OF THE DETAILS AS TO WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN ILL KEEP YALL POSTED
THANKS AGAIN GUYS AND GALS FPR YOUR KIND WORDS-THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS
RICH
Posted on: 2008/6/3 12:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.