Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
269 user(s) are online (216 user(s) are browsing Forums)

captmike13, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  DIC
Driver Information Center.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It’s above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DaleD C5? Not this time.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I went and drove that C5. First one I have ever driven. It's an interesting car, the C5.
First, all that stuff about the C5 being easier to get in and out of? Not for me. If you have room to open the door all the way, it's a little easier. In most parking situations where you can't swing the door all the way open, that bolster jabs you on the way in.
The power of the car is kind of sneaky. I didn't really hit it but felt the tires slip and get a little squirrely on me. Even with the traction control off, it doesn't grunt like a C4 on takeoff.
I like the layout of the interior, but they decided to use lots of cheap plastic in it. This C5 rattled much more than my C4. My C4 doesn't have any rattles when it's on relatively smooth road. Now, if you hit a bump, it will feel like it's going to come apart around you. This C5 had HUD and the plastic around that rattled constantly. And the targa top on the C5 rattled constantly as well.
I liked the ride of the C5. It's been said over and over what the difference is in ride, I prefer the C5. And that HUD, very cool. Every car should have HUD.
This C5 was in decent shape for a DD with 87k miles. It has 5 issues. 1 - Wear on the bolster. No kidding, the damn thing jabs you all the time. 2 - It came with body side moldings! Who in the world would do that? Anyway, the previous owner removed them, and there are marks on the side where the moldings were. 3 - Weather strip on the driver's side has aged and it is prone to leaking. 4 - Needs new rear tires. 5 - Wagon wheels, ugh.

I like the C5, but not this C5. Not for that price. I'll just chill out since it's just about storage time anyway. The good news is, my C4 made the trip 70 miles round trip.
Posted on: 2008/10/19 13:17

BillH Re: C5? Not this time.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

One thing I can't stand on the C5's are the seats.

I've only driven one on the street, it was OK. But, I'd rather be wraped up in the cockpit of my C4.

I've driven a bunch on the track and, again, they're OK. The only one that impressed me was a Z06 with $6k of suspension mods.
Posted on: 2008/10/19 13:32

DaleD Re: C5? Not this time.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

It does sit different. The C5 itself sits lower than my C4. But, when in the car, you're higher up with respect to the center of gravity of the car, at least it feels that way.

I'm not a track guy, so I can't talk about how either is on the track. But I do know that buying a C5 is an easy way for me to pick up 100 hp. To keep my C4 and get 100 hp, there would be much cost, pain and suffering.
Posted on: 2008/10/19 13:38

bobges Re: C5? Not this time.
Senior Guru
Bushkill PA
254 Posts

I like my C4
Posted on: 2008/10/19 13:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly Re: C5? Not this time.
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have driven many C5s that are owned by guys in my club including several highly modded Z06s.

I like them all. I didn't have any problems with the seats, they just feel different than the C4 and I'm sure after driving the car for a few months, that would probably be forgotten. My C4 can now keep up with most of my friends C5s and C6s just horsing around from cruise spot to cruise spot, but on the track a lot of those car could probably smoke me.

Most of the guys have traded up to a C6 by now as well, and I have driven a couple of those and had an opportunity to drive shotgun at the autocrosses in a C6Z06. Nice cars... better than the C5. One of best friends owns a red 07 Z06 and it is a real beast in just stock trim.

I love the C4, but you can't beat the new technology in the newer cars especially the C6. I will skip the C5 probably all together and go right for a C6 when I can afford one. Probably never but... you never know.

Just to add here about advances in technology. Another close friend of mine owns a frame-off restored 65 Roadster that was restored by Tony's Corvettes in Maryland. It is a real beauty. Frank also owns a 2006 C6. We drove the 65 yesterday to the UPS car show in Laurel, MD. Back in 65 his Vette had no PS & no PB. It must not been a big deal back then, but he sure had to work it in all the traffic yesterday. He loves the way the old one drives and really loves the way the new one does too!!
Posted on: 2008/10/19 13:47

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I don't even look at C6s. I don't have stupid cash. I know C6s are nice, but by the time I can afford a C6, (that is, they get cheap enough), I'll be too old to drive one.
Posted on: 2008/10/19 13:54

cuisinartvette Re: C5? Not this time.
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Musta gotten one that was driven hard if it was a rattler (C5). Keep looking, there are tons of them out there getting cheaper by the day. Youll find the right one.

The sill on them seems wider and takes atouch of getting used to: Similar to getting used to the high sill of the C4 you get used to it. One thing I noticed about all C5s was the road noise! It was like riding in an import where you hear the tire noise and everything they kick up all the time, interesting. I do love the gauge layout on the C5 though. Good looking analog, easy to read.

I drove a few C5s and was no comparison to (imo) the Z all around but the 3rd one I have to say was solid as arock and made me feel like I was hopping back in a POS when I got back in mine (int, ride) except for the power.

If i had the coin Id get a modded 00 FRC or an 04 Z06
Blindspots and all I love the roofline on those.
Posted on: 2008/10/19 14:48

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Matatk Re: C5? Not this time.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for ya, Dale. I'm sure the right deal will come along for you when you least expect it. That's the way it always works for me. A buddy just emailed me a 77 he saw for sale for a decent price. Not so much for me, but for my dad. I'm working on a couple other side deals, though, that I'm trying to pick up for super cheap. We'll see what happens.

Good luck in your search!

Matthew

PS - I like the side moldings on the C5. Just personal preference, I guess.
Posted on: 2008/10/19 14:50

bogus Re: C5? Not this time.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am glad you weren't caught up in the red mist. That's good.

They are very different cars. To be honest, all they share is a name. The engine, chassis, transmission are all either new or totally revamped. The 4L60E is similar to the one in the 96 C4, but isn't that different to be immune from failure... and the 4L60E is nothing more than an evolution of the 700R4 which is just not my favourite gearbox.

If you want 100 hp from your car, get a ZZ4 and be done with it.
Posted on: 2008/10/19 18:22

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I won't repeat the mistakes I made with my current car. When I looked at it, I couldn't wait to get a C4! So, I overlooked some things and ignored my gut on some others. Plus I was way too focused on price. This time, if/when I get another, I'll be sure it's what I want now. Not something I might be able to turn into what I want.

That gets back to cost, pain and suffering. My C4 is worth $8k probably. I figure if a dealer will give me $7k, it's probably an $8k car.
A ZZ4, with install, (I'm not prepared for that kind of work), $4k-$5k? If that was it and I'd be done with it, I could consider it. But then there's the driveline. Work on the transmisson, U joints, another $2k-$3k.
Now I'd have $6k-$8k additonal in a car that's worth $8k, might make it worth $9k to the right person.
And finally, it would still have the gremlins of a 22 year old car. Brittle wiring, rusted grounds, etc.
Seems like cost, pain and suffering to me.

Don't get me wrong. It would be very cool if doing all that would magically make my car quick and reliable. I am a little bit attached to it. But I'm not very tolerant of busted-ass old stuff. I guess it's the crankiness of my age showing.
Posted on: 2008/10/19 23:34

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for ya, Dale.
Good luck in your search!

Matthew

PS - I like the side moldings on the C5. Just personal preference, I guess.

Thanks Matthew. I'm in no hurry. You're right, when the time and deal is right, it will show up. It's not like I don't have a vette at all!

Yeah, you're right, the side moldings is a preference thing.
Posted on: 2008/10/19 23:48

Schrade Re: C5? Not this time.
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

You said it was risky.

Maybe now do some of the fine-tunin' stuff and maintenance and take out some of that 'risky' factor...

AND post up pics of stuff you do, cause you'll have photo-doc'ed and dated maintenance that will increase value.

And we like pics too!
Posted on: 2008/10/20 0:02

Resized Image

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

I won't repeat the mistakes I made with my current car. When I looked at it, I couldn't wait to get a C4! So, I overlooked some things and ignored my gut on some others. Plus I was way too focused on price. This time, if/when I get another, I'll be sure it's what I want now. Not something I might be able to turn into what I want.

That gets back to cost, pain and suffering. My C4 is worth $8k probably. I figure if a dealer will give me $7k, it's probably an $8k car.
A ZZ4, with install, (I'm not prepared for that kind of work), $4k-$5k? If that was it and I'd be done with it, I could consider it. But then there's the driveline. Work on the transmisson, U joints, another $2k-$3k.
Now I'd have $6k-$8k additonal in a car that's worth $8k, might make it worth $9k to the right person.
And finally, it would still have the gremlins of a 22 year old car. Brittle wiring, rusted grounds, etc.
Seems like cost, pain and suffering to me.

Don't get me wrong. It would be very cool if doing all that would magically make my car quick and reliable. I am a little bit attached to it. But I'm not very tolerant of busted-ass old stuff. I guess it's the crankiness of my age showing.

Well... gee... your not that much older than me - if at all!

There are a few interesting scales of economy going on here.

First off, your 87 is about at the bottom of the depreciation rate. I would actually keep it stock and keep driving it. It does lack that brutal acceleration of a more powerful car, but the chassis is more than Upton the task.

I would say a crate long block (be it a ZZ4 or whatever) would be about $4k installed and ready to roll. I would go with a better intake, too.

However, back to the condition and depreciation... early C4s are now leaning into collector status. The prices at auction are showing this. A car like yours is easily worth $8k at such a collector auction.

At the same time, a dealer can get it for $7k, you should be aware they will ask $10k (at least) for it and wait for the first sucker to come along. The uninformed can quickly get the red mist and think that the sales person is telling them the truth - "it's a Vette!" "It's America's sports car!" "it's going to appreciate!" you name it, the fluff is there and the sales people are the masters of hyperbole.

With all of that said, I would keep yours stock. At this phase, you are in a better position to keep yours just as Bowling Green intended.

Figure it this way, BG made some 360k C4s. That's a lot... but with accidents and such, I doubt there are even 300k left.

Consider that we as C4 owners have been rather caviler with the originality (I am one of many to blame) and you can start to see that original C4s are coming harder and harder to come by. I would consider getting into the NCRS and do what j3studio is doing with his 85. Get it rated and certified. It's a different aspect of the hobby, but just as valid. It will add more value to your car, too.

In time, then trade up to something and turn your 87 over to someone who will preserve it - who can afford to preserve it for the long haul. Or, if $$ allows, a newer Vette to keep the 87 company.

Then comes the other option... if the car is paid for, you can do a lot to it before you hit the costs of a newer car. And still have the same cheaper insurance rates and lower registration fees (depending on how Ohio does that, of course).

I do come back to the idea of keeping this stock, tho.
Posted on: 2008/10/20 0:14

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I do come back to the idea of keeping this stock, tho.

I'm well past the NCRS stuff. I chucked the wheels and radio. But that's ok, I don't have the patience for that kind of detail work.

I'm also aware my car would be put on a lot for at least $10k. It's how the game works. They'd put it up for $10k, take $9k, back it for 30 days and for that risk, they would make $2k. Anyone who goes to a dealer and doesn't realize the dealer has to make money isn't paying attention.

I will say, compared to the C5 I looked at, my C4 is a pretty good car.
Posted on: 2008/10/20 0:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Then go to town on the C4.

It's a scale of economy, as I mentioned above.

Think of it this way: It's not about what it is worth, it's about what it would cost to replace with new.

Or even newer.

If you look at a cherry C5, that's going to cost no less than $20k. So that, less the value of your car is what you are able to spend without getting nuts about it.

I am sure you can build the car for that kind of money and build one that will compete with the more expensive car.

At this point, have the car insured for agreed value and keep it until it falls apart.

This is what makes the hot rod hobby so tolerable... it's a personal expression. Do you really think those guys with $150k low-riders actually make any of that money back? Hell no. Not even close.

This is also how I view it. My 92 is paid for. I know what it's worth, and it's worth a lot more considering replacement costs. I know the math gets complex, but the end result is a personalized vehicle that expresses YOU and not what some manufacturer wants you to have.
Posted on: 2008/10/20 4:34

cuisinartvette Re: C5? Not this time.
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

I see stuff like this and get disappointed.
Youd think after how many generations this wouldnt happen?
This owner takes pretty good care of it too.

I never got this much after washing the 67 years ago...Couple drips maybe.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showp ... p=1567531294&postcount=56
Posted on: 2008/10/20 4:45

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Then go to town on the C4.

It's a scale of economy, as I mentioned above.

There are pros and cons on each side of the ledger. Bottom line is doing what works for me.
At this point, I've got a few things working for me with the 87. I know a decent mechanic who won't rob me. It's paid for. I know the car, good and bad.
As a guy who likes to go to the car shows, there's another aspect. I know I love to see older restored or well cared for cars. When I see a C6 or a newer C5, it's not interesting. It just means the owner went out and spent a bunch of cash. If the C6 or C5 is customized, ok, that's interesting.
There are fewer and fewer C4s at the shows, especially earlier C4s. So, I feel my car is interesting.

Can't complain about having these decisions to make.

Oh, and I got you by a few years Andy, I'm almost 51.
Posted on: 2008/10/20 13:31

BillH Re: C5? Not this time.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

If I ever consider getting a C5Z or C6, I'm not selling the C4 to do it. My 92's paid for, it's stock except for the MSD and the chambered exhaust. And I kept the stock pipes.

The biggest mistakes I've made were selling my C2's and a mint C3. At least I kept one C2.

My C4's here to stay even if I get another.
Posted on: 2008/10/20 13:43

CentralCoaster Re: C5? Not this time.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Sounds like maybe you saw a poor example of one. All the ones I've been in were nearly rattle-free. Try another.
Posted on: 2008/10/20 15:14

patgizz Re: C5? Not this time.
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

i LOVE the LS family of engines, but i love my C4 - looks, ride, and cockpit wise compared to a c5. i like hopping in and feeling like i'm piloting a jet.

i gather i'll probably put an LS2/3/6/7 in my car when the L98 gives up, but it only has 115k miles so there should be plenty of life left.
Posted on: 2008/10/23 14:38

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
I see stuff like this and get disappointed.
Youd think after how many generations this wouldnt happen?
This owner takes pretty good care of it too.

I never got this much after washing the 67 years ago...Couple drips maybe.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showp ... p=1567531294&postcount=56

damn. That's sick. I have seen some runs on my 92, but nothing like that flood. It makes me wonder if the top is bad or the windscreen is boned.
Posted on: 2008/10/25 19:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

patgizz wrote:
i LOVE the LS family of engines, but i love my C4 - looks, ride, and cockpit wise compared to a c5. i like hopping in and feeling like i'm piloting a jet.

i gather i'll probably put an LS2/3/6/7 in my car when the L98 gives up, but it only has 115k miles so there should be plenty of life left.

I would love to build a 1989 coupe... with an LS7, T6060 and more aftermarket crap that I can think of.
Posted on: 2008/10/25 19:36

biggrizzly Re: C5? Not this time.
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
If I ever consider getting a C5Z or C6, I'm not selling the C4 to do it. My 92's paid for, it's stock except for the MSD and the chambered exhaust. And I kept the stock pipes.

The biggest mistakes I've made were selling my C2's and a mint C3. At least I kept one C2.

My C4's here to stay even if I get another.

I agree Bill, I'm keeping the '94 for sure.
I am having a whole new love affair with it now that it has a little more "giddy-up-and-go" and new 3" exhaust.

It will take a while before I get antsy for a new Vette
Posted on: 2008/10/25 19:46

bizaro Re: C5? Not this time.
Guru Newb
wisconsin
44 Posts

I have spent quite some time in a few C5's. To me it just doesn't feel like you are in a sports car. The blind spots took awhile to get used to but the overall feel was just not there for me. The interior is just about the worst on the market. The seats look like crap after 20K and the door skins sag if you leave it in the sun. I mean to the point of almost falling off. All C5's will experience this over time if left out in the sun for an extended period of time. I'd sell out in an instant for a C6 Z06 though.
Posted on: 2008/11/7 20:38

80sRule Re: C5? Not this time.
Guru Newb
15 Posts

I really enjoy my 87, but there have been trying times. The best thing I did in the 3 years I've owned it was changing every vacuum line and coolant hose. Maybe $100 worth of parts eliminated the problems I was having(while leaning on the intake hearing the snap of vacuum hoses prompted this).

The thing I know about older cars is that anything rubber or hard plastic WILL fail. My 87 has had a radiator, brake booster, brake master cylinder, intake gaskets, brake hose and some other items fail because of some piddly little plastic or rubber component. My car just hit 60k miles and it had 45,600 when I got it in February of 2006. I can tell it was maintained, but stuff breaks when it ages.

Thanks to preventative maintenance, I've had a relatively trouble free year(EGR issue was it). You can too, just don't think of money invested on those little things. Luck always has it that when you put off stuff for the next owner, you always get stuck with that thing forever...

If I were to get another car, it wouldn't replace the 87. I have put too much effort into getting all the little things nice(vacuum, wiring, etc...) to sell it. The C5 is interesting to me, and I have had fun driving them, but there are other cars I like more. That said, that additional car will preferably be a Jaguar XK8(2001+) or a Mercedes SL600(1996 - 1998).
Posted on: 2008/11/20 2:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.