Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
262 user(s) are online (231 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
(1) 2 »
 Topic is Locked

Danspeed1 STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

[COLOR="Red"][B]Guys, PLEASE READ THIS IF YOUR ARE INTERESTED IN PURCHASING CVTTEJIM 2001 BLACK ZO6 CORVETTE. [/B][/COLOR]

I was the original buyer for his vehicle, and after a week of putting me through utter agony, he stole $500 from me. Please BEWARE of this guy…

This is my story.

About two weeks ago I contacted the seller “MR” JAMES JOHNSON (CVTTEJIM) about his 2001 ZO6 that he had for sale on Corvette Forum for $23,000. (This is the last time I will refer to him as Mr. The term Mr. infers a gentleman) At first the seller seemed like a nice guy but little did I know that he was a devious manipulative scumbag. Unfortunately, I am very trusting of people and believe in the golden rule so I bought in to his scheme. He initially came across as polite but my suspicions were raised when he demanded a $2000 initial “down payment” to be wired into his bank account prior to even seeing the vehicle. I countered with $500 which is very reasonable. He pressed for the $2000 but thank goodness I didn’t give it to him or I’d be out two grand instead of the five hundred…but I’m getting ahead of myself. After more negotiations than it took to settle major union contracts, I thought I had an agreement with this annoying, whining disgrace for a Corvette owner. I sent the $500 to him by UPS overnight delivery but before it was able to reach his front doorstep, he dropped the bomb. He wanted the full amount of $22,500 (negotiated amount) to be deposited FIRST into his bank account before I was to take possession of the car. Of course, I strenuously objected. This was of course after we had come to an agreement that a certified bank check would suffice. Jim’s excuse for wanting the entire payment up front was that he was concerned that my certified bank check would be fraudulent. So to ease his nerves I supplied him with the website, address, name and number of my banker who he called no less than 20 times. He was so annoying and insulting to my banker that my banker did everything he could to get me to consider other vehicles. Jim then demanded I come to pick up the car with cash only. Again, I objected and he then demanded traveler’s checks. OH.. Did I forget to mention that he had me send the $500 deposit to a post office box? And didn’t tell me it was a post office box until I got notification from UPS that it couldn’t be delivered to a P.O. In addition, he wanted to make the transaction at a remote location away from his residence and declined to provide his actual physical address. Still trying to make this a successful deal, I put him in touch with my banker once more who would be issuing the certified bank check which I wanted to provide. Now I have a very pissed off banker. Who knows what he said to him? Here’s the kicker… After I realized what was happening, I immediately called UPS and put a stop on the redelivery attempt and requested the envelope with the deposit be returned to me. This guy calls UPS and reverses the check back to himself overriding my instructions to UPS. Then he has the balls to call me and tell me we WILL have a deal and that I WILL meet his terms because HE has my deposit now. I told this jerk off that there is no deal and to return the check that he fraudulently manipulated from UPS against my wishes, politely of course. As of now I’m out five hundred Washington’s, but this is not over. When I realized things weren’t as they appeared I began recording every conversation and have him on tape telling me that he requested the check be sent back to him after I put the stop on it. Is calling UPS to reverse the mail after it was reversed by the sender legitimate? When confronted with the facts he promised that the deposit would be returned but alas, my mailbox is still empty. He may win a battle but he will lose the war. I have contacted the US Postal Inspectors and am completing the USPS Mail Fraud form with the postmaster. I am also contacting the North Carolina attorney general’s office as well as providing the tape to UPS for them to review. I’m glad I didn’t give him the two grand he initially demanded. I am relating this to you in the hopes that none of my fellow Corvette forum members get duped by this guy. At $500 a clip he could live very comfortably. If any of you can think of anyone else I can contact or any other agencies I can complain to, please let me know. Now you can rest assured that our buddy “Jimbo” will write to explain in detail how he didn’t screw me and why he is keeping my money. After he responds I WILL post all the WAV files of our conversations and emails so you my friends can be judge and jury and decide for yourselves. In the meantime, please keep this in mind if you are about to engage in any transactions with this guy.

[B]Signed…Trusting people finish last and get screwed.[/B]
Posted on: 2008/11/14 21:59
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Jeeez, what a mess!
Posted on: 2008/11/14 22:03

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

brut Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Wow, sounds bad.

I can see him being "suspicious" with all the fraudulent deals out there, but come on. This guy sounds like he doesn't trust anyone, anyhow.

I just wondered how he would have acted once you did show up with money in hand? Would he still be rude? Or would he rob you then and there?

Get the entire commonwealth on him!
Posted on: 2008/11/14 22:04
'02 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
'07 Hummer H3

Matatk Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Sounds like an unfortunate deal between the two of you. Do you have any of this guy's information? If you don't receive your deposit back, contact your local pd and see if they will contact the jurisdiction he lives in. How did you make the deposit - via bank check or usps mo? That may be your other course of action, but don't count on it too much. USPS doesn't really deal with small potatoes unless the guy is scamming a bunch of folks.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/11/14 22:28

cuisinartvette Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Demanding a deposit before you even see the car is BS.

Without knowing everything so its hard to judge but man...
If he did in fact dick you....
Do NOT let up until you get your money.

[QUOTE] jim johnson ---.---.---- [/QUOTE]

Keep us posted!!
Posted on: 2008/11/14 22:31

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Danspeed1 Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Demanding a deposit before you even see the car is BS.

Without knowing everything so its hard to judge but man...
If he did in fact dick you....
Do NOT let up until you get your money.

[QUOTE] jim johnson ---.---.---- [/QUOTE]

Keep us posted!!

Do you know this guy by any chance... He's a real nut...

---------------------

Police will be contacted, don't worry....

DG
Posted on: 2008/11/14 22:47
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Well,

As you can imagine, even though this all occured on the other site,they want no part of it. All my posts got removed. Wonderful,

DG
Posted on: 2008/11/14 22:55
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

jsup Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:
Well,

As you can imagine, even though this all occured on the other site,they want no part of it. All my posts got removed. Wonderful,

DG

Seems to be a pattern....
Posted on: 2008/11/14 22:57

Schrade Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Maybe a 'communique' in his front yard?

I know exactly where West end is - been through there many times uh huh.

cvttejim
CF Member

My Corvette Photos
Member Since
Dec 2005

[
b]returned uspscertified, return receiptinsured -[/bjimj

What is returned?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1567811098-post36.html
Posted on: 2008/11/14 23:00

Resized Image

bogus Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This sucks, dude... go after him and hard.

The USPS can't help, but UPS can.

Please, remove all references to his contact information. If they haven't been removed by the time I get home, I will remove them then. Thanks, gang.
Posted on: 2008/11/14 23:13

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Nothing,

Jim was angry because I posted that the car was sold originally because he wouldn't post it. After I did that I guess it put a stop to the other people he was sending pictures to (and probably taking deposits from *cough* cough*) and this angered him. So he basically told me that he would refund me my deposit only if I removed that post. I agreed, and told him, not once but twice, that I would remove the posts after he sent me a UPS tracking number for the deposit. We both agree, and then the next day he told me he sent it out in the post box. Then he corrected himself online and said he sent it USPS Certified, insured, to force my hand in removing the post, and to interest other potential victims.

DG
Posted on: 2008/11/14 23:14
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

I think I will post the emails, and see if i can get the wav files on here later tonight, if thats ok with Andy?

DG
Posted on: 2008/11/14 23:16
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

you can post the emails, but no contact info.

if you have to clean up the waves to eliminate contact info, go for it.
Posted on: 2008/11/14 23:35

crash Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

well if they cleared your post on the other forum their scewing their members if nobody post the problem that sob will screw somebody or bodies over and over again and again
id get a hitman
Posted on: 2008/11/15 1:43

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Ok,

I am going to run through all the emails now and post most of the relevant emails. As you will see, the first few emails seem like reasonable requests. Concernes any corvette seller would have, and then they start to get a little crazy. Keep in mind, in between these emails are phone conversations between us, and numerous calls to the bank by both him and I. I will try to fill in the blanks... stay tuned!
Posted on: 2008/11/15 1:56
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Flag this messageFax of Bill of Sale and DepositTuesday, November 4, 2008 9:12 AM
From: "Daniel Gorelick" <danspeed1@yahoo.com>Add sender to Contacts To: cvttejim@yahoo.comJim,

I just wanted to let you know, she's sending the fax from her office. As you will notice the form is in her name, Melina Zografakis, as she will be the actual "purchaser" of the vehicle. The address is the same. I will have her send a $500 money order out to you today. And give you a call with the information you need to send the form to the bank.

Melina Zografakis
6 XXXXXXXXXX XXXXX
XXXXXXX, New York 10918

Thanks,
Dan
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:05
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Now, after I send the deposit... after we've already agreed that a Certified bank check was adequate; Jim pushes to get the vehicle sold and picked by Friday/Saturday, after I already explained to him that it would take at least 4 days to get the check.

This is second response...

Flag this messageEverything is looking good, fingers crossedTuesday, November 4, 2008 2:55 PM
From: "Daniel Gorelick" <danspeed1@yahoo.com>Add sender to Contacts To: cvttejim@yahoo.comJim,

I spoke with Melina earlier today. I will speak with her again when she gets home from work tonight. Looks like our lender is going to push the paperwork through and accept the faxed bill of sale, instead of making us wait for the original bill of sale. This means that hopefully they should cut us a check on Friday, so we can come and pick the car up all in one shot on Saturday. I instructed Melina to send you out a $500 deposit this afternoon. Please let me know when you receive it! I will drop you a phone call later this week. Thanks a lot for helping us out,

Dan
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:09
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

After deposit has been sent...........

Flag this messageZ06Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:39 AM
From: This sender is DomainKeys verified "james johnson" <cvttejim@yahoo.com>Add sender to Contacts To: "Dan Gorelick" <danspeed1@yahoo.com>Dan: We have a slight problem that hopefully can be overcome. My lawyer says that I cannot turn over the car and title to you until we have verified that the total amount due is good funds in my bank. This means that you/your bank will have to wire transfer the funds to my bank during working hours prior to your visit or that we will have to go to my bank when open with your check so that my bank can verify funds. Once receipt of funds are verified I can turn over car and title. I talked to my bank this morning and they indicated that they would be happy to work with your bank to effect a solution. The contact at my bank is Ms. Serena Gonzalez-Asst VP, Branch Banking and Trust, XXX XXXX XXXXX, West End NC 27376, phone XXX.XXX.XXXX or XXX.XXX.XXX. Your bank can contact her. The concern is that once I give you the car and title, I have virtually no recourse if payment is not good. Too big a risk to take. Will call you later to discuss. regards, jim johnson

-------------------------------

Sounds a little sketchy, but when you think about it, I really don't know him and he really doesn't know me, so this is not unreasonable
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:13
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Flag this messageZ06 downpaymentWednesday, November 5, 2008 5:59 PM
From: This sender is DomainKeys verified "james johnson" <cvttejim@yahoo.com>Add sender to Contacts To: "Dan Gorelick" <danspeed1@yahoo.com>Dan: pls ask Melina to send me the UPS tracking info. I must have copied something wrong. best regards, jimj

----------------------------------
Again this seems like a reasonable request. Later i would find out that Jim was so interested in the tracking number because he knew that he had me send the deposit to a PO BOX and not his house! His intention was to wait by the PO Box for the deposit to arrive.
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:15
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Flag this messageRe: Z06 depositWednesday, November 5, 2008 6:21 PM

The UPS number you have is correct. I tried tracking it online myself, and it is not coming up. I spoke with Melina,... she called UPS to see what the situation was. They told her that the item has not been scanned in yet, which is why you can't see it online. Next they informed us of their procedures. UPS ships overnight packages "overnight." They assured us the deposit will be on your doorstep by 12:00 Noon. I will give you a call tomorrow are 12:01 to make sure it has gotten there. If you would like to give them a call yourself, the girl who Melina spoke with says she would be glad to let you know the status of the package at anytime. Her number is 1-800-742-5877, and her name is Shantell. As far as I know they are open 24 hours a day for customer assistance.

Hope this helps,

Dan

------------------------------------

Did I mention that he wanted to know why the item was not turning up on the UPS screen just 25 mins after it was submitted to ups? Again, I thought I was dealing with an older guy who was just anal. I would later find this is because he did not want to miss it at his PO BOX. The above message is what I sent him back.
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:18
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

He than asked me again,... a second time for the tracking number.... JUST TO VERIFY IT :rolleyes:... and I sent it to him... I do not have that email
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:20
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:
My lawyer says that I cannot ...

Sounds a little sketchy, but when you think about it, I really don't know him and he really doesn't know me, so this is not unreasonable

Yeah - he sure can't sell a car that has a lien on it...

Now if it IS his car, he can do what he wants. Unless he's shady, and he's tellin' a tall tale.

"My lawyer says..." Resized Image
Don't give me that fertilizer JJ; put it in the garden.
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:27

Resized Image

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

OK GUYS,.... GET READY, CUZ THIS IS WHERE THE SHIT HITS THE FAN!

Now there are no emails between the time I find out that the deposit was sent to a PO BOX... I do however have that on conversation on Wav file. When i realize that he is trying to screw me and told me that he gave me his home address, but instead had me send the deposit to a PO BOX, I immediately call UPS and give them orders to send the deposit back to me. As far as I am concerned the DEAL IS DONE,... This is just way to sketcky for me, and each and every one of Jim's calls are getting more and more demanding. He's scaring the shit out of me at this point.

Then I receive this email which looks like something right out of Nigeria... Check it out,

If it looks like a scam and sounds like a scam.... well, take a look..

-------------------------------------------
Friday, November 7, 2008 11:23 AM
From: This sender is DomainKeys verified "james johnson" <cvttejim@yahoo.com>Add sender to Contacts To: "Dan Gorelick" <danspeed1@yahoo.com>Cc: "Daniel Atakora" <datakora@XXXXX.org>Dan: Until this issue of transfer of funds is resolved I cannot give you the car or title. The only alternatives that appear to exist are 1) for the funds be wired to my bank account during normal weekday bank business hours, 2) you bring cash. Even though my bank (BB&T) has branches open in Raleigh on Saturday mornings and your bank is also open on Saturday mornings there is no way for them to verify funds. We talked to Mr. Atakora at XXXXXX Heritage FCU this morning (Friday), offered these alternatives. He checked with loan dept and said with your concurrence they were able to wire money. This needs to be done on your end before noon so it has time to transfer and we can confirm. The necessary information for wire transfer is: account name-James D Johnson, 6022 Seven Lakes West, West End NC 27376, bank-BB&T, ABA bank routing# 0XXXXXXXX, account # 000XXXXXXXXXX. Please give this wire transfer information to him. Alternatively you can bring cash, inspect car and if acceptable exchange cash for car/title or if not take the cash home. I am willing to meet you in Raleigh Saturday a.m. at BBT branch that is open to get title notarized and finalize. The UPS with USPS downpayment did arrive today. I am as anxious to complete this transaction as I believe you are but I cannot and will not expose myself to a $22.5k+ risk that has no recourse. I have deferred showing to other prospective buyers pending our resolution of this situation. Lets discuss how to wrap this up. best regards, jim johnson

-----------------------------

So let me break it down for you guys,
1. He wants the money wired before I get down there
2. Or he wants cash
3. My banker did not agree to any of this, and after he saw this email told me to be careful; this was starting to look sketchy.
4.Jim got the deposit even though UPS was supposed to send it back. Supposedly someone called in my name and said they wanted it sent afterall.
5. Keep in mind he does not think I have his real home adress at this point, and more and more he is finding reasons to meet far away from his home. This trend continues for the remainder of our transaction.
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:30
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Now, Until you hear the Wav files you are going to miss part of the story. At this point I realize that he has my deposit and he realizes I want out of the deal. He makes EVERY ATTEMPT to keep this deal alive even though I tell him time and time again, how and why I am uncomfortable. In between there are a couple of BS emails in which he attempts to come up with "other ideas" of how we can conclude this deal, including but not limited to...
1. Cash brought to him in Raleigh
2. Twenty-Two $1000 Money Orders
3. Travelers Checks
4. Money wired to his PO Box prior to us coming down

At one points he says "None of this would be a problem if you were a big burly Italian guy." I take offense to that, I am a big burly Italian guy... but I know what he is saying, and hes luck I'm not that guy.

You know what the above statement really means....

Anyway, I am going to skip ahead to his last email, as this is the important one.

--------------------------------------
Flag this messageZ06 resoutionMonday, November 10, 2008 12:11 PM
From: This sender is DomainKeys verified "james johnson" <cvttejim@yahoo.com>Add sender to Contacts To: "Dan Gorelick" <danspeed1@yahoo.com>Dan: Confirming our conversation of saturday afternoon, 11/8, you advised that you want to cancel our sales/purchase agreement on my 2001 Corvette Z06. As agreed, I will return the downpayment to Melina and you will revise your potentially scurrious thread on Corvette Forum to reflect a positive conclusion of our activities.
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:41
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

I agreed with the above post, and both told him over the phone and wrote him giving him specific instructions to send the deposit back UPS; upon receiving a tracking number I would change my posts to reflect a positive outcome.

This is what he wrote me back
---------------------------------------------
Flag this messageRe: Z06 resoutionMonday, November 10, 2008 2:41 PM
From: This sender is DomainKeys verified "james johnson" <cvttejim@yahoo.com>Add sender to Contacts To: danspeed1@yahoo.comsent deposit back through usps mail on sunday thus no tracking #. did not see reason for ups cost and did not know ups would come today to pickup. I'm ammenable to continuing but as previous, must have verifiable funds before I can release title/car. have you corrected your corvetteforum thread? jimj
-------------------

NOW THIS IS THE ICING ON THE CAKE. ONE OF YOU ON HERE ALREADY PICKED UP ON THIS AND POSTED ABOUT IT, BUT FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DON'T SEE THE LIE, I WILL SPELL IT OUT. JIM STATES THAT HE HAD HIS WIFE MAIL OUT THE DEPOSIT ON SUNDAY. ON SUNDAY THE POST OFFICE IS CLOSED BUT THAT IS NOT TO SAY THAT HE DID NOT JUST DUMP THE MONEY ORDER OFF IN A POST BOX. BUT IF YOU LOOK AT HIS LAST CORVETTE FORUM POST, YOU WILL SEE THAT HE STATES.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
returned usps, certified, return receipt, insured - jimj

------------------------------------------------

See Corvette Forum... I think someone posted that quote on here too.

SO TELL ME GUYS, HOW DID HE SEND IT, CERTIFIED, RETURN RECEIPT, AND INSURED "IF" HE SENT IT OUT ON SUNDAY WHEN THE POST OFFICE WAS CLOSED.....

GOTTCHA...
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:49
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

SO, WHO'S UP FOR SOME WAV. FILES? WHO WANTS TO HEAR THIS GUY TRIP OVER HIS OWN WORDS?

Dan
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:50
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

I know the area VERY well - I used to go through there daily several years ago about a block from that supposed street address. Still about 90 miles off...

Any other forum members in the area?
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:52

Resized Image

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:
I know the area VERY well - I used to go through there daily several years ago about a block from that supposed street address. Still about 90 miles off...

Any other forum members in the area?

Get it back... Half is yours... The pleasure is all mine

DG
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:53
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

I dunno...I can see both sides of "dealing with strangers". Both of you seem to be gun-shy of making the jump to either 1) give the car and title or 2) wire cash. I would be leary either way too.

However, I have not heard the tapes. They may be what made the guy sound like an ass, but the emails don't to me. SOunds like he is just scared to give you the car without being guaranteed the money.

When I bought my '76, the seller's bank wouldn't "clear" the money for 10 business days since it was such a large amount. The guy was nice enought to drive it home(3 hours away), but he didn't send the title until it cleared.
Posted on: 2008/11/15 3:18
'07 Hummer H3

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Even though he may have been paranoid of getting ripped off, the deal never was performed. He has no right keeping his $500. Loser
Posted on: 2008/11/15 3:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I need to read over this again...

All I can suggest, Dan... use the enter key!!!
Posted on: 2008/11/15 3:51

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

"Even though he may have been paranoid of getting ripped off, the deal never was performed. He has no right keeping his $500. Loser"

agreed
Posted on: 2008/11/15 3:52
'07 Hummer H3

red_johnny Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

He is wrong for trying to keep the money and seeing its Friday, you should have had it by now. But I do understand both sides as i was on both sides before on a long distance sale of a corvette. I agree with him about the money thing. With todays scams, there are too many fruad checks out there and its hard to tell a fake unless you know what your looking for.
Posted on: 2008/11/15 3:55

TommyT-Bone Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Yes he can send it certified, return receipt on Sunday through an APC machine or Postal Store. No you can not insure certified mail. Checks are not insurable and money orders are self insured against loss or theft. Checks and bank drafts can have stop payments issued. Money orders cannot. UPS does not generally deliver to PO Boxes. For USPS you have to do a recall of mail before it gets to it's destination. What is the certified number? You can look it up on USPS.com track and confirm.
Posted on: 2008/11/15 4:03

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Paranoid maybe,... This is what the issues are though

Please consider:

1. Would not give me his home adress
2. Lied about home adress and gave PO BOX number instead
3. Pushed for me to send all the money prior to me even coming down
4. Wanted a $2000 down payment on day by day 2 of transaction
5. Called UPS on my behalf and had the money sent anyway even though I already explaind the deal was over and asked UPS to send the money back
6. Told me he sent the deposit back on Sunday, then posted the following day that he sent it certified, insured, and return receipt even though this would be impossible to do on a Sunday (post office closed)
7. I have not received the deposit back, and the post office assures me that all mail sent from that location would have been sent by now.

These are just 7 isssues i can think of. Not to mention his actions threw a red flag at my bank.

I really don't care what the sellers "personal" issues are, all I want is my deposit back, and for this nightmare to be overwith.

Dan
Posted on: 2008/11/15 4:05
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

have any kind of tentative sales contract in writing?
Posted on: 2008/11/15 4:07

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
have any kind of tentative sales contract in writing?

Excellent question... Yes, I have a notarized purchase agreement that Jim was required to get notarized for my bank in order to secure my certified bank check. Proof that he was aware that he would be receiving a Certified Bank Check prior to his emails of concern.

Dan
Posted on: 2008/11/15 4:14
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

TommyT-Bone Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Report your Travelers Checks stolen immediately if not sooner. USPS Postal Inspectors do not investigate UPS claims. Wire fraud and interstate scams are probably investigated by the FBI or the Office of The Inspector General.
Posted on: 2008/11/15 4:14

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

I reposted on the "other site." I am going to run back over there for a little while and see if anyone is in the same situation.... Thanks for the advice guys,

Dan
Posted on: 2008/11/15 4:19
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

CentralCoaster Re: STEER CLEAR OF CVETTEJIM AND HIS 2001 BLACK ZO6 - NC
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'm missing something here.

What is the big fuss about dealing with full payment if you haven't even seen the car yet?

And how is he afraid of getting scammed if you haven't seen the car yet? He doesn't have to turn over the pink until he has the funds cleared. Where's the risk?
Posted on: 2008/11/15 4:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the dude must be a little bit of a control freak.
Posted on: 2008/11/15 4:41

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I'm missing something here.

What is the big fuss about dealing with full payment if you haven't even seen the car yet?

And how is he afraid of getting scammed if you haven't seen the car yet? He doesn't have to turn over the pink until he has the funds cleared. Where's the risk?

Thats what I am still trying to figure out. He wanted everything done and the car picked within 4 days of our original conversation. So bascially, the time crisis came into effect when he told me even if I paid him he didn't want to hold the car on his property. If I could have just looked at it, and given him a deposit while I was down there, I could have picked it up a week later, and there won't be anything to post about. This is partly my mistake, when the list of demands started, I should have began looking for a different vehicle. But I have been having a hard time finding anything of any type of quality for the price I can afford. The car "supposedly" was an 01 ZO6 with 11K miles for $22,500.

DG
Posted on: 2008/11/15 15:29
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Well,

I was woke up to the sound of Jim's voice on the other end of the phone this morning... maybe around 8:50a.m.,... only day of the week I get to sleep late! Needless to say, he wants the posts removed. I told him, no money, no removal.

DG
Posted on: 2008/11/15 15:32
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Should have never let the C4 go!

DG
Posted on: 2008/11/15 15:32
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

What posts? These? or the ones at CF?
Posted on: 2008/11/15 16:23
'07 Hummer H3

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

F him! Go get your money, he can kick rocks.

People like that wind up going through life thinking they can screw everyone and wind up getting hurt one day.

People that are the most paranoid about getting screwed are usually the ones that are doing it. Everyone must think like them, right?
Posted on: 2008/11/15 16:42

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

At this point, Jim has no recourse but to reimburse you.

He has no room to make any demands.

From what I have read, and since both sides of the story are reasonably well represented, he is very cautious, to the point of paranoid and controlling.

When I bought my 1992 Corvette, 8 years ago (yes, well before the days of internet fraud), it went down like this:

I found the car on a Saturday on Autotrader. I didn't have time to act on it then, because I had an appt to visit another C4 (93 polo green/black coupe, ick), south of Richmond, VA. on Sunday. I drove down there (living in Delaware at the time) and checked it out. To be honest, the asking was a little more than I could afford, so I didn't want to waste the guys time...

After I got back from VA (ick), I called the guy. His name was Joe. The nicest fellow you could ever ask for. Mainframe database geek... late 30s, married, kids... he had been looking for an aqua vert and had had no luck with this, so he stumbled into this polo green coupe and bought it instead. As he put it, a very nice 2nd choice.

Well, about a year after he bought the polo green, he found the aqua vert and his wife said, get it, you can sell the green one after... smart and kind woman, eh?

So on Monday, I drive up to NJ, test the green one and we make a deal. He had been trying to sell it since April and had really no luck. Most lowballed him or just walked. He had lowered the price a couple of times, too. Some just creaped him out, too! I left after writing a $100.00 check for a deposit. Thursday, I came back with a bank check for the full amt and drove off. The biggest advantage was that he held full and clear title to it.

A few months later, when I sold my Prelude, I sold it on a website, now gone (sniff) www.hondaprelude.com (great group). I put it up for sale like on my birthday (9 Oct) and it was sold in 1 week. GONE! At asking price. The guy was knowledgeable and came down from NJ and handed me a money order from a bank. Done. No issues. Got $7k for a 94 VTEC with 173k miles!

I would suspect that in this day and age, just about anything can be faked. But in dealing with people like Jim, I would do this: Tell him the name of the bank you are dealing with. Have him call the bank - but only give him the NAME OF THE BANK. Let him go to his computer, or better yet, have him go to his bank, let them research the # from their banking directory (there has to be one) and have THEM call the bank to confirm it's existance and effacy.

The days of giving a bank name and number without validation is gone. Let the web and your bank do that. It only takes a second, really, and the amount of good faith it engenders is unmatched.

From there, the process should flow as normal. Who is going to create such a level of fraud that the sellers bank is involved??? Hello?

So, Jim, this is a message for you as much as for Dan. I spent 8 years working in Criminal Justice, in various capacities, but I spent 2.5 years resolving ID theft issues, I know how the systems work and how this processes work. I also know how to protect one another from each other. I do not know NC law works, can't speak for that, and I can't give legal advise (I am not a lawyer), but I can say that by not giving Dan his $500 back, you are acting woefully unethically.

The entire rerouting of the UPS package was unfathomably dirty. If it wasn't illegal, it sure should be. If only because the contract that is accepted is between UPS and the sender. If there is an insurance claim, it goes back to the sender.

When I sold my Prelude, I met the gents at a public place. A McDonalds near my home. I had my cell phone and was on it with my Mom. After I met them and realized all was cool, I told her that and hung up. If it felt funny, I would have had her call the police and direct them to the McDonalds. Caution, yes, but not outright paranoia. They followed me back to the house where we did the transaction.

There are safe ways of dealing with this. It doesn't require tricks, sneaky behaviour... just common sense.

Did you ever get a VIN so as to run a CARFAX on it? I would NEVER buy a car without running CARFAX. You just don't know. Since NC is prone to weather extremes, I would be extra careful.

That's my 2 cents. Actually, it might be more like a nickel.
Posted on: 2008/11/15 16:43

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Bogus, as always thanks for your understanding and words of wisdom. If Jim just retured my deposit this would be done and overwith. I am not look for revenge (yet), I just want my hard earned money rightfully returned, and for this nightmare to be overwith.

Sincerely,

Dan Gorelick
Posted on: 2008/11/16 0:16
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Dan,

In time, he will get his... the shame is that many other good folks could get harmed before this happens.
Posted on: 2008/11/16 1:16

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Well, This morning I received a PM from Corvette Forum. I won't post which moderator wrote this but essentially I was told that Jim contacted him with a sob story (same one he gave me when I was purchasing the car) about how hes just a concerned "68" year old man, (he sounds 68, so he probably is) and how he is not ripping me off. Yet, he does not account for where my deposit is. This is enough evidence for the moderator to find in favor of Jimbo and close my thread on CF... even though, like i said, no sign of my money anywhere.

The kicker: I was written a PM that stated, the reason why my my thread was shut was becasue Jim is not ripping me off. The moderator told me finds it hard to believe that a 68 year old guy is ripping me off. In his 10 years of law enforcement experience he has never seen someone over the age of 68 commit a crime like this.

Thats great news... this is a revelation... Now when criminals get to the age of 68 we can just let them out of prison, because, they are too old to commit crimes. Thus saving us all money! I think this guy is on to something.
Hey, I'm young, therefore I must be the criminal... you know those young tricksters!

I'm totally done over there... I've had it.

DG
Posted on: 2008/11/16 16:42
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

(1) 2 »
 Topic is Locked
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.