Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
187 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60
The automatic from 1992-1993. The same as the 700R4, just has a different name.

Either way, they are junk. There are some minor differences on a ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jsup Budget build, what are you giving up?
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

OK, here’s something I’ve thought about for a bit. I even did a thread on it about a year ago on the other forum, you can go search there if you’re not banned.

I’ll ask this question here as I think it is an interesting point of discussion and goes hand in hand with many of my positions. My background in business, sales, marketing makes this topic a fascinating study to me.

Let me preface that I’d like to see the world of hot rodding expand. I think it’s a great past time and many of us have commented how we want to see our kids driving our cars and enjoying them. Problem is as of late, there seems to be a shift to position that in order to get into the hobby if you’re not investing in the most expensive parts, you’re not getting the “best” equipment you’re wasting your time. Why do you think ricer kids went to big wings, stickers, and fart can mufflers? Because it’s CHEAP! I am sure a lot of those kids would get into real American Muscle if it was shown feasible on a budget.

I believe that this position, of having to have the PERCEIVED best parts tends to keep people out of the hobby, which is not what I would hope would happen.. I thought about this last night, as I came across Pinks. They had a bunch of snippets of people saying “I saw Pinks and decided to go build a car”. See, say what you want about Pinks, but if it is actually bringing people into the sport, that’s a good thing. Question is, can a good motor be done on a budget, do you REALLY need to spend money on “the best” parts, and what do you get for the money?

For example, I went with Comp Cams Pro Mag Rockers, since I felt they were the “best” product in the space, for my application. They were $300. Could I have used the SUMMIT brand, made by someone else of course, for $159 at the same ratio and gotten the same result? Harland Sharp for $200? Scorpion for $200? Serious, what would I have lost? I haven’t read anywhere that motors using these products are blowing up left and right.

On the other side, my oil pan. I went to Kevko, $200. Compared to say a Canton at $400. Let’s see, both are baffled, both are used successfully in racing, motors aren’t blowing up left and right with Kevko pans. My pan holds oil and does not leak, pretty much does what it’s supposed to do. Who in their right mind would spend $400 on a Canton pan and to what benefit? (other than ego?) Lifters, my LS-7 lifters, GM Performance, $121 for the set, why spend $600 on lifters for anything other than brand name parts?

Something else to consider, as I had this conversation with Deakins before he left, companies like Callies ( he uses their real rods) for example will make a set of racing rods which are $2000, then they make a set of consumer rods that are $500. The $500 set have nothing in common with the $2000 other than a logo. Same with parts such as cranks, the $6000 crank has nothing to do with the $1000 crank, other than the logo. I think it is even subbed out to China. Kinda like buying the Home Depot version of “John Deere” and the real one. So why pay extra for the name considering those parts are not living up to the reputation they built in racing circles, basically cheap knockoffs using the company's logo, and no where near the quality standards of their professional grade stuff. So why pay more for it?

Face it guys, a lot of the stuff we put together here is “consumer grade” we’re not running $2000 oil pumps, $2500 valve sets, and $4000 oil pans. So given that even what we consider high quality standards are actually only better quality parts. The other issue I tend to see is the concept of "overbuilding" (I'm guilty of this myself)why put 1000HP parts in a 600HP motor? Do you REALLY NEED that XXX part or is it overkill in your application? A good example is rev kits and 7/16ths rocker studs. Two things I betcha none of us here need, but have.

Just saying it’s a matter of perspective. We tend to get off on “quality” what does that really mean?
I guess my position is that if you took motors with the same cam and heads, for the sake of this argument let’s call it Brodix IKs since they are sub $1000 and decent quality and a Comp Cams off the shelf cam for $250, these fit the budget theme and my original intent of the post.

Now, I’m not talking about going with the CHEAPEST parts available, don’t get me wrong. I’m talking about DECENT quality parts, second line stuff. What are you giving up for the money your saving? I found $100 in rockers, $200 in an oil pan, $500 in lifters, pushords can be $200, timing cover $10 vs $110 (if it covers the timing set and doesn’t leak, who cares) and I’m sure I can go on. Sure, you get what you pay for, to a point, and I’m not talking about putting cheap Chinese crap in the motor, so don’t get me wrong. At the end of the day, I bet you that under this scenario all things being equal, the “second line” parts perform exactly the same as the most expensive parts for an entry level racer or hot rod builder.

Off the top of my head, there’s probably $2000 between perceived “top of the line” parts and second line parts. AGAIN, SECOND LINE NOT CRAP. For that $2000, can anyone tell me what some kid getting into Hot Rodding will gain by spending it. I’d prefer to see more people in the hobby with these parts, than being cut out of the hobby as a result of cost.

Now there’s the issue of going on EBAY and sourcing parts as you find them, used, etc… builds never get done that way. I’m talking going out and putting together new parts you can buy today and put together today, and start racing, today.

I haven’t even touched on $3000 for fuel delivery vs an OEM solution, or even carb.

Comments?
Posted on: 2008/11/27 13:58

pr0zac Re: Budget build, what are you giving up?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

there is no point in trying to get them to see the light. they already have their reservations on you i and the parts they want to use. let them spend all their hard earned money to have these "rare" second line engines keep up if not beat them. not my problem. i have about maybe $5000 in my engine and its running. took about three weeks casue i was being lazy. mojave on CF has the same setup and produces 449rwhp and 400rwtq. but i am idiot for choosing my second line parts, right.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 15:05

jsup Re: Budget build, what are you giving up?
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
there is no point in trying to get them to see the light. they already have their reservations on you i and the parts they want to use. let them spend all their hard earned money to have these "rare" second line engines keep up if not beat them. not my problem. i have about maybe $5000 in my engine and its running. took about three weeks casue i was being lazy. mojave on CF has the same setup and produces 449rwhp and 400rwtq. but i am idiot for choosing my second line parts, right.

You're subscribing motivations that don't exist. Like I said, I posted something very similar a year or so ago, when I started my first build.

Watching Pinks last night kinda bought it back to the forefront for me.

Did you really pick second line parts? I think Lloyd Elliot is pretty top of the line to me, in this space anyway.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 15:17

PeteK Re: Budget build, what are you giving up?
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

My personal projects have always been value engineered.
I grew up dirt poor, and learned the value of a dollar at a very early age. Because I have never received a dollar that I didn't earn I always factor in value.
Anyway, I always have, and will continue to build my stuff as I see fit. Never paid much attention to the guys that told me what I was doing wrong, because my stuff typically runs faster and is reliable.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 16:25

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
I grew up dirt poor, and learned the value of a dollar at a very early age. Because I have never received a dollar that I didn't earn I always factor in value.
Anyway, I always have, and will continue to build my stuff as I see fit. Never paid much attention to the guys that told me what I was doing wrong, because my stuff typically runs faster and is reliable.

Pete, you are the master of this. I always applaud your methods. Wish there were more people to hear about YOUR example and the tile guy grinding on your heads and kicking the ass of motors with shiny, expensive parts.

You, Joe (anesthes), Pr0zac, and a coupe others are real hot rod guys. You guys get it.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 16:29

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:

Pete, you are the master of this. I always applaud your methods. Wish there were more people to hear about YOUR example and the tile guy grinding on your heads and kicking the ass of motors with shiny, expensive parts.

You, Joe (anesthes), Pr0zac, and a coupe others are real hot rod guys. You guys get it.

Thanks.
One of the benefits of being broke I guess.
A good friend of mine built a 383 stroker for his 86 vette.
He spent $2,200.00 for the crankshaft only. Called it insurance.
My crank was $139.00 plus $100 to balance it.
My combo makes more power, and neither of us has broken a crankshaft.( By coincidence, my entire shortblock cost $2,200.00)
Moral of the story is I used the $2,000.00 difference to buy groceries. Even if I tripled my income, I don't know I could every buy "top shelf parts" for the sake of insurance.
I am quilty of buying a canton pan, but I paid $260 including shipping and oil pump pick up, and at that time options were very limited.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 16:36

biggrizzly Re: Budget build, what are you giving up?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I cut corners where I thought I could and put my money where I wanted the most bang. "My money" is also a relative term. Mine being less than some, but more than others.

I used smaller rocker studs, no HD timing set, no electric wp, reused stock lifters, reused stock bottom end and oil pump,

I did buy what I thought was good stuff for my performance dollar in LE head work and cam, good rocker arms, pushrods and valve train except the lifters (don't ask). I also put more money into the exhaust system than anticipated but I think it was a good return.

I couldn't even begin to talk shop with the guys doing the real exotic stuff.

I think someone could build an easy 400hp Vette for $4,000 with just good head work, matched cam, headers, tune.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 16:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: Budget build, what are you giving up?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

So OT's the new tech section?

Did I miss something???
Posted on: 2008/11/27 16:57

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Thanks.
One of the benefits of being broke I guess.
A good friend of mine built a 383 stroker for his 86 vette.
He spent $2,200.00 for the crankshaft only. Called it insurance.
My crank was $139.00 plus $100 to balance it.
My combo makes more power, and neither of us has broken a crankshaft.( By coincidence, my entire shortblock cost $2,200.00)
Moral of the story is I used the $2,000.00 difference to buy groceries. Even if I tripled my income, I don't know I could every buy "top shelf parts" for the sake of insurance.
I am quilty of buying a canton pan, but I paid $260 including shipping and oil pump pick up, and at that time options were very limited.

Excellent example. That's what I'm talking about.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 17:07

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I cut corners where I thought I could and put my money where I wanted the most bang. "My money" is also a relative term. Mine being less than some, but more than others.

If you used parts that gave you the right performance for the money, you did not cut corners. If you spent more money, incrementally, would you have gotten more performance? Probably not.

Now if you jumped up to something "out of that class" that's a different story.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 17:12

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

One of the benefits of building stuff now is readily available, quality used parts. E-Bay, forums etc really help us budget oriented people.
This was not really possible as little as 10 years ago.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 17:14

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
One of the benefits of building stuff now is readily available, quality used parts. E-Bay, forums etc really help us budget oriented people.
This was not really possible as little as 10 years ago.

Well, yeah, and it kinda goes back to my thread about the Spin Tron. Companies who use technology like that are going to be able to deliver parts, better, faster, and cheaper.

It's only going to get better, as long as new people come into the sport/hobby and volume dictates investments in technology definitely an old school, new school transition.

Ebay and forums help source things cheap, used or unwanted parts, but it takes time, I was really talking to new parts.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 17:18

cuisinartvette Re: Budget build, what are you giving up?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:

Same here never had a bunch of money to drop but would save longer for somthing I thought was strong enough yet not overkill so I could do it once.

The 383 Im doing now doesnt need:
-4340 crank;but a Scat 9000 series should do the job
-4 bolt main; 2 bolt with ARP fasteners will do. Heck, even Pioneer is stronger than stock and cheap.Motor doesnt know what brand it is.
-Fancy oil pan, the stock one will work fine here.
-Expensive intake when some grinding on used parts will do.
In fact every part of the intake system is used parts.
-$800 long tubes when a $269 set of quality made shorties gets it done.
-We were going to use roller tip rockers (1.5). Due to a decision last night we decided to go 1.6 full roller for reliability only. Probably a cheap (but not cheap junk)Scorpion or something like that. $400 rockers wont help a thing.
Did spend money on good head and machine work where it counts.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 17:22

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:

Same here never had a bunch of money to drop but would save longer for somthing I thought was strong enough yet not overkill so I could do it once.

The 383 Im doing now doesnt need:
-4340 crank;but a Scat 9000 series should do the job
-4 bolt main; 2 bolt with ARP fasteners will do. Heck, even Pioneer is stronger than stock and cheap.Motor doesnt know what brand it is.
-Fancy oil pan, the stock one will work fine here.
-Expensive intake when some grinding on used parts will do.
In fact every part of the intake system is used parts.
-$800 long tubes when a $269 set of quality made shorties gets it done.
-We were going to use roller tip rockers (1.5). Due to a decision last night we decided to go 1.6 full roller for reliability only. Probably a cheap (but not cheap junk)Scorpion or something like that. $400 rockers wont help a thing.
Did spend money on good head and machine work where it counts.

Cool post. Question, can you ballpark how much more money you would have spent, and how much performance you would have picked up if you did go for all those parts you mentioned?

Do you think there are other reasons, reliability and such, to go for the more expensive stuff?
Posted on: 2008/11/27 17:28

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

$4900 in the longblock, but thats with every sinlgle little thing except headers and injectors.

To use "good stuff" cost easily could have doubled.

Torque/low rpm motors are cheaper to build.

Rpm/bigger CI motors add up.

$10k easy in the 408 I recently finished and that was with me doing a lot of "favors" labor wise. By the time its installed and running it will be 1000s more.

12k in my 350.

IMo the higher they spin the more they cost.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 18:18

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
$4900 in the longblock, but thats with every sinlgle little thing except headers and injectors.

To use "good stuff" cost easily could have doubled.

Torque/low rpm motors are cheaper to build.

Rpm/bigger CI motors add up.

$10k easy in the 408 I recently finished and that was with me doing a lot of "favors" labor wise. By the time its installed and running it will be 1000s more.

12k in my 350.

IMo the higher they spin the more they cost.

OK, next question. On your last point, the higher they spin, most of us, me included, have a HR cam/lifters. These are only good to what? 7000 on a good day, and not all the time. Probably more like 6300-6500 IMO.

Would it be fair to say the entry level guy getting into the hobby with an HR motor can do it on the cheap and have a fairly powerful HR motor with second tier parts and be competitive enough to remain interested?

You say the cost would have doubled, but how much performance would have been gained?
Posted on: 2008/11/27 18:33

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Im no expert but a HR should be real reliable to those levels if the springs are set up right. Could you run it higher sure, but the pumping up factor of HRs combined witha lot of lift imo creates a slight risk factor. Everyones opinion will differ: Im no "builder" so take it fwiw.
An LS7 uses a HR and revs to 7k but it doesnt use much spring and is a small cam to begin with. Lighter valvetrain parts helps afford that.

At a certain level switching to a solid roller is a safer choice as that factor is eliminated and supposedly the lifters are lighter giving better valve control..
To get the best of reliability, torque, hp imo would be to build as big as you can afford so you dont have to go crazy with rpm.
They say hp doesnt kill engines, rpm does.

As far as cost doubling I mean buying the bigger name brand stuff, ie best of everything for "insurance" as Pete said.

There are motors you need to do that with but most dont require it.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 18:48

pr0zac Re: Budget build, what are you giving up?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i had a motor built for me back when i was just learning to do this stuff. it was the basis of my shortblock which i reutilized the rotating assembly. i paid for what the machine shop guy was telling me i would need.. for the 450hp motor he built me i don't see the need for it. it was a forged Eagle crank, CAT forged h beam rods and Keith Black forged pistons. as ron stated i think a scat 9000 or cast steel eagle would have done fine even for the majority of builds some of these people i see do. i don't need a forged crank, but i had it laying around. i paid 1500 for my LE3 heads, $320 for the LE cam, $115 for the ls7 lifters, 100 for rings,500 for the machine work,200 for the bearings, the promags i had on my last engine, hd timing chain on my last engine, 80 for gaskets and some help from a friend to lower it in.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 20:17

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

I wish I could get by with a cheaper crank.

But I'll need a good forged one to keep up with the spinning the blower on a road course.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 21:12

Danspeed1 Re: Budget build, what are you giving up?
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

I've made this mistake for years, and I still find myself making the same mistake. Yet the COOLEST cars on the road are the rust bucket fox body mustangs you see people running 10's in all day long.

We did this with our C4. Purchased the most expensive parts, one by one, waiting till we had everything to put it together. And you know what happened. We sold the car, and I had to resell all those accumulated parts at a lower price than I paid.

I remember in high school, (I can remember one car very specifically) a guy with a mid 80's cutlass with a 307. He put the engine together for like $800. It was a freak of junkyard parts, and head porting with a dremel. It was the fastest car cruising up and down the road on Friday night though.

I always had the car that had the shiny stuff on it... and didn't go anywhere... Kind of like my Impala SS now :rolleye: with its $2000 Rear end, and Edge Converter, and Goodyear GS-D3's that suck in the cold weather, and sling gravel from the road all over the car.

DG
Posted on: 2008/11/27 21:19
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

bogus Re: Budget build, what are you giving up?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I had an interesting conversation with Dave McClellan last spring. He is on the board of directors of Mosler, they make the MT900 super car.

Dave's take is simple: use OEM parts where available. Most aftermarket manufacturers do not have the time or money to be sure a product is going to have the long term durability that we really demand.

It also comes back to my bitch about parts cost. Be it a crank or what not (and I know for a fact that the high-dollar cranks are forged here in the states), I don't care what it costs if it works.

And this is not a new issue. Back in the 50s, when Ferrari was almost affordable, it cost $300.00 for a new V12 crank, whereas a SBC crank was only $30.00!
Posted on: 2008/11/27 21:26

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:
I've made this mistake for years, and I still find myself making the same mistake. Yet the COOLEST cars on the road are the rust bucket fox body mustangs you see people running 10's in all day long.

We did this with our C4. Purchased the most expensive parts, one by one, waiting till we had everything to put it together. And you know what happened. We sold the car, and I had to resell all those accumulated parts at a lower price than I paid.

I remember in high school, (I can remember one car very specifically) a guy with a mid 80's cutlass with a 307. He put the engine together for like $800. It was a freak of junkyard parts, and head porting with a dremel. It was the fastest car cruising up and down the road on Friday night though.

I always had the car that had the shiny stuff on it... and didn't go anywhere... Kind of like my Impala SS now :rolleye: with its $2000 Rear end, and Edge Converter, and Goodyear GS-D3's that suck in the cold weather, and sling gravel from the road all over the car.

DG

Great stories!!! A friend of mine had a 70 Cutless with a Rocket 350 2BBL. He lived 1/2 mile from a junkyard,and scraped up parts here and there where he could. One of the fastest cars around at the time.

What you describe is what I point to. On both counts.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 21:42

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I had an interesting conversation with Dave McClellan last spring. He is on the board of directors of Mosler, they make the MT900 super car.

Dave's take is simple: use OEM parts where available. Most aftermarket manufacturers do not have the time or money to be sure a product is going to have the long term durability that we really demand.

It also comes back to my bitch about parts cost. Be it a crank or what not (and I know for a fact that the high-dollar cranks are forged here in the states), I don't care what it costs if it works.

And this is not a new issue. Back in the 50s, when Ferrari was almost affordable, it cost $300.00 for a new V12 crank, whereas a SBC crank was only $30.00!

I never said it was a new phenomena. I am saying that in the 50s while Edelbrock was making his name there were a bunch of "rat rods" as they were called done on skinny budgets with parts you can dig up. Hot Rodder guys.

Today, the difference is lots of choices, perhaps too many. As Danspeed points out his accumulation of fancy parts did not end up in a modded car, another project sacrificed on the alter of shiny parts, Dan's words.

Would have been more satisfying for him to have done the mods, i'm guessing, with less shiny parts. And I think, that would have been cool.

My point is that if there were a collective understanding of substance over style, perhaps there would be more of this going on, which would be really cool. It would drive more innovation.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 21:47

patgizz Re: Budget build, what are you giving up?
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

free block/crank/rods from 95 pickup
machine work to go .030, cut the grooves out of the crank cost $750 including pistons, rings, and bearings
used GMPP vortec heads and RPM vortec intake $400
$35 GMPP hydraulic roller takeout from crate engine
used/tested GM roller lifters and parts $100
new stock timing set $20
M55 pump and hardened shaft $20
$14 rebuild in a free 30 year old holley
$40 headers

under $1500 to go 13's in a 55 year old 4 door brick with a 2.73 open rear is priceless.

i am a fan of gently used parts at 50% or so off new prices instead of slapping money down on summit's cashier counter.
Posted on: 2008/11/27 22:06

BeachBum Re: Budget build, what are you giving up?
Master Guru
751 Posts

I think people buy what they know....especially with parts that build power.... if they know of a certain part that works, they'll find the money for it versus venturing into the unknown. Nothing wrong with that.... to each their own.

For the reliability parts such as rocker arms, crank, rods, etc..., the world may never know the true benefit of purchasing a $ 400 set of rocker arms vs $ 200 set..... simply because, we don't know the statistics of failure rate for each one and rest assured nobody does.... each company knows their own failure rate, but they're not sharing that information if they can help it.

I will say, racer reputation does and rightly so should go a long way..... when you go and talk to the racers that have been running a part for a long time without any problems, you might start to see a trend on certain parts.... that should mean something, and does to me. But, that is just one method of determining the part to run..... I will say, I am a fairly firm believer in you get what you pay for, but I also realize, in some cases, you're buying a name, not a product.... which isn't always the smartest buy.

I myself, I buy good parts typically, but I look for the discounts, ebay steals and racing junk desperation sell-outs... I always buy the part new if it has moving parts, but I'll buy used if its a non-moving part like a manifold, headers, etc..... and then I build/install myself to save more... I'm comfortable that I didn't overbuild or underbuild on my project, and I doubt anybody could have built a big cube sbc for less than I did unless you have a resale license....
Posted on: 2008/11/28 3:03

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

88BlackZ51 Re: Budget build, what are you giving up?
Senior Guru
481 Posts

I am sure there are things to cheap out on, but that's personal perference. I just wanted a strong bottom end to handle any future upgrade's!!
Posted on: 2008/11/28 3:11

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

The stock stuff is fine...so long as it's limits are not exceeded.

Also if you doing things like a stoker, you can be better off with the aftermarket.
Posted on: 2008/11/28 4:02

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

Great stories!!! A friend of mine had a 70 Cutless with a Rocket 350 2BBL. He lived 1/2 mile from a junkyard,and scraped up parts here and there where he could. One of the fastest cars around at the time.

What you describe is what I point to. On both counts.

I only wish I had the guts to give it a try ONCE MORE. Like I said, on the last car, I just accumulated parts. But throughout my accumulation I felt confident that "some-day" I would have a car that put some power down. On occasions that I cut corners with my past vehicles it always seemed to lead to more expense in the future. My Beautiful Chevelle for example; I purchased a set of Ebay rotors, later to find that the studs had not been hardened. The wheel sheared off at 30MPH, and that was the demise of my Chevelle. I have never had such "hot rodders" luck.

But for a lot of duck tape junkies it works out well. I shake my head at those. Like I said... Guys putting 400HP cars together for under $1000. I always wondered if it was a lie, or they were trying to down play their cars. But after becoming friendly with these guys I realized they just had incredible skill, and even more incredible luck.

The guy with the 307, did a set of heads and cam, raised the compression and ran the car on pump gas with a ton of additive. As we know additive is useless, yet his car ran like a 383 and when he was done with it 2 years later... he sold it, it didn't head to the junk yard like some of my projects.

MY POINT: I understand these people get lucky and I can tell you all for sure I am not one of them. I am having problems with my Impala's rear after spending $2K on it. But at the same time, you read a lot about people using $1000 forged cranks for 400HP engines... it's just not practical.

Back it the 70's (I wasn't around yet, but I've read books) Iron Crank'd big blocks with headers, port work, and various mods of the decade, put out a reliable 500+ HP on pump gas, and rarely had a failure.

If you step over to some of the other forums today.... alot of the Camaro guys and Trans AM guys are pushing out a lot of power on stock bottoms without failure. They don't have as much to spend as people on the Vette sites. I think sometimes this stuff is overkill.

DG
Posted on: 2008/11/28 4:07
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:

I only wish I had the guts to give it a try ONCE MORE. Like I said, on the last car, I just accumulated parts. But throughout my accumulation I felt confident that "some-day" I would have a car that put some power down. On occasions that I cut corners with my past vehicles it always seemed to lead to more expense in the future. My Beautiful Chevelle for example; I purchased a set of Ebay rotors, later to find that the studs had not been hardened. The wheel sheared off at 30MPH, and that was the demise of my Chevelle. I have never had such "hot rodders" luck.

Well, I wish you would have had the guts too. Now, I'm not talking about Harbor Freight level junk from ebay, I'm talking Scorpion vs. Comp Cams or Crane for example.
Quote:

But for a lot of duck tape junkies it works out well. I shake my head at those. Like I said... Guys putting 400HP cars together for under $1000. I always wondered if it was a lie, or they were trying to down play their cars. But after becoming friendly with these guys I realized they just had incredible skill, and even more incredible luck.

Some one said to me once, the harder you work the luckier you get. I don't believe people have that much luck, I just think they know what they are doing.
Quote:

MY POINT: I understand these people get lucky and I can tell you all for sure I am not one of them. I am having problems with my Impala's rear after spending $2K on it. But at the same time, you read a lot about people using $1000 forged cranks for 400HP engines... it's just not practical.

Right. which is fine for them.

Quote:

If you step over to some of the other forums today.... alot of the Camaro guys and Trans AM guys are pushing out a lot of power on stock bottoms without failure. They don't have as much to spend as people on the Vette sites. I think sometimes this stuff is overkill.

DG

I lurk those sites. Seems a lot of those guys are more concerned with going fast than being cool. Those guys are the hot rod crowd.
Posted on: 2008/11/28 4:17

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Scorpion is not a good example because as far as I am concerned they make a top notch product. My dad has a set of RR's on his 72 Vette... no problems and they were very Cheap. They are also made in the USA!!! I have a set of Scorpions sitting around for my Chevelle I will never get back together again, and if they are available I would like to purchase a set for my Impala SS.

DG
Posted on: 2008/11/29 21:32
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Nothing wrong with Scorpions, they have a decent rep.
Posted on: 2008/11/29 21:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.