Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
325 user(s) are online (268 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  RPO
Regular Production Order. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BillH Heel & Toe
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I've been teaching track drivers heel & toe for quite a few years. Here's a very good explaination with pics:

http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/category/driving-tips/

I don't necessarily agree that this shouldn't be practiced on the street. If anyone's interested, I'll post what I tell students about beginning to learn this technique on the street.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 14:37

TommyT-Bone Re: Heel & Toe
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Thanks Bill. Nice demo. Of course in autocross, I'll never need it but you never know when your gonna move up to PDE.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 14:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Heel & Toe
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Thanks Bill. Nice demo. Of course in autcross, I'll never need it but you never know when your gonna move up to PDE.

Then, it's time to try a PDE, Tommy. I had the fun of doing a 360+ in a 911 at about 60mph on Saturday. The driver had a funny look on his face when we stopped spinning.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 14:59

CentralCoaster Re: Heel & Toe
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I've been putting off learning this. I really don't think its meant to be with the way the pedals are in the C4, or the size of my feet.

I'd rather learn it on the street for free than on the track where I'd be paying per minute and getting in other people's way.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 15:10

TommyT-Bone Re: Heel & Toe
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

How do you avoid doing 360's in a 911?
Go faster _______________ !!!
Posted on: 2009/4/21 15:13

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I do it on my bike all the time, and it allows me to shift without the clutch and even avoid using the brake to slow down. Maybe I should install my shifter in the footwell, and the clutch lever on the steering wheel, lol.

Would you C4 guys ever recommend modifying the pedals somehow to make this more doable? The gas pedal is just too far down and the brake too far up to reach everything.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 15:17

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I do it on my bike all the time, and it allows me to shift without the clutch and even avoid using the brake to slow down. Maybe I should install my shifter in the footwell, and the clutch lever on the steering wheel, lol.

Hee Hee, putting the lever on the wheel will make it look just like my shifterkart. I only use the clutch to start out in 1st.

Your bike, like the kart, has a dogring trans (my prefered trans) and makes this easy to do.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 15:40

BrianCunningham Re: Heel & Toe
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Good stuff

I've never been able to shift the Vette w/o the clutch

It just doesn't want to come out of gear, and I really don't want to go buy a new ZF.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 15:45

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I've been putting off learning this. I really don't think its meant to be with the way the pedals are in the C4, or the size of my feet.

Would you C4 guys ever recommend modifying the pedals somehow to make this more doable? The gas pedal is just too far down and the brake too far up to reach everything.

What size shoes do you were? I'm 9 1/2.
With sneekers, I can H&T easily, with driving shoes, the gap between the pedals makes it harder but still doable.

I H&T all the time on the street even with moderate braking where the brake pedal is not down as far.
You can certainly mod the pedals (make the gas pedal pad thicker) and get the aftermarket pads if you want.
I personnally don't need them but do what feels good for you.
If you want to check the height of the brake to the gas, pressed very hard, against my 92, measure it & let me know.

H&T on the street, learning the technique without threshold braking:
Do this ONLY where there is zero traffic anywhere near you.
Read the SpringMountain link a few times.
Try the foot positions, clutching and shifting in the driveway with the engine off.
I do this with my heel on the floor but you may have to lift your foot up some. The only portion of your foot that should be on the brake pedal is the ball directly under your big toe. Most guys who have problems with pedal spacing have too much of their foot on the brake pedal. I'd suggest you try applying the brakes quite a few times like this without doing the blip.
Find an empty road, and start the technique using the 6-5 downshift (this is the easiest one)running at 65mph or so.
Do the same with the 5-4 downshift. Do this anytime you're on an empty road for a couple of weeks until it starts to feel natural, don't worry about hard braking. What you're looking for is to do this smoothly, if you can't feel the car slow down or speed up you have it right. If you're in a safe place and can watch the tach, it should not falloff from the blip when you let the clutch out.
Once you work on this technique and feel comfortable, you can move to the 3-4 downshift.
RevMatching:
IMO, you should blip the gas on every downshift, everytime, even if your not hitting the brakes. It's easier on the driveline and makes good practice for H&T. Bike riders, like Kevin, know how smooth this makes things.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 16:08

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

I've never been able to shift the Vette w/o the clutch

It just doesn't want to come out of gear, and I really don't want to go buy a new ZF.

Nope, not a good idea. Mine is hard to pull out of gear w/o the clutch too. I wouldn't try it unless I lost the clutch.

Dogrings (bikes & racecars), different deal. But even with a dogring, I've noticed that stabbing the clutch 1/2 way does reduce the wear on the dogs.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 16:15

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I believe a perfect clutchless shift won't wear anything out. Both shafts will be moving the same speed and obviously not transmitting any power while engaging. Using the clutch just throws more variables in there that can increase the shift time or allow the vehicle to slow down too much. When you blip the throttle and tap it into gear exactly when there's slack in the transmission, you would never know its shifting other than the changing engine noise.

The problem is that the perfect shift can't be done every time. And when you screw it up, you put enough wear on the system to make up for the last 50 shifts you did successfully. That's the only reason I use the clutch on the bike now. For awhile I was never using the clutch on upshifts or downshifts, but after it popping out of gear a few times, I decided to do it only on occasion.

Stabbing the clutch only reduces wear on an imperfect shift.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 17:26

Mekanic Re: Heel & Toe
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I heel toe shift my vette all the time, especially on a dhownshift to 2nd for a turn, It would be easier with a thicker gas pedal pad I agree. On my LT4 there is a large gap between gas and brake heights.

I have a size 11 foot
Posted on: 2009/4/21 19:34

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I believe a perfect clutchless shift won't wear anything out. Both shafts will be moving the same speed and obviously not transmitting any power while engaging. Using the clutch just throws more variables in there that can increase the shift time or allow the vehicle to slow down too much. When you blip the throttle and tap it into gear exactly when there's slack in the transmission, you would never know its shifting other than the changing engine noise.

The problem is that the perfect shift can't be done every time. And when you screw it up, you put enough wear on the system to make up for the last 50 shifts you did successfully. That's the only reason I use the clutch on the bike now. For awhile I was never using the clutch on upshifts or downshifts, but after it popping out of gear a few times, I decided to do it only on occasion.

Stabbing the clutch only reduces wear on an imperfect shift.

I understand what you're saying but, stabbing the clutch acts as a shock absorber for the dog rings. We had 2 identical cars, 2 drivers. The gearboxes are taken apart before every race and the dogrings and the dogs on the gears are inspected. The dogrings definately showed less wear on the car with the driver stabbing the clutch.
Dog rings are maintainence items but they aren't cheap and that's why they're inspected every 1 1/2 hours.
Worn dog rings are one of the main reasons a trans will pop out of gear.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 23:19

BrianCunningham Re: Heel & Toe
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Gary's got a clutchless transmission in his GT car, neat to hear going around the track

Posted on: 2009/4/22 12:18

Matatk Re: Heel & Toe
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Neat poat - when you see the pros do it it makes it look easy. I have an auto, though, so no worries here. I'm not sure how much different the footwells are for the auto vs manual, but I think it's pretty tight.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/4/23 1:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.