Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
277 user(s) are online (233 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Cigarette Lighter
Does it work?

If not, the fuse is hidden… behind the Driver Information Center (DIC) on the 1984-1989, and under the right knee bolster on the ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pianoguy School me on balancing
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

If I understand correctly, the LTx engines are externally balanced. So, does it hurt or help for the internal components to be balanced on a rebuild?

I'm thinking about going with a forged crank and rods - worth the extra $$$? The car is a daily driver in the summer, stored winters, never been to the track but may do that sometime. I don't mind spending a little extra money if good components will help make the engine outlive me.
Posted on: 2009/5/4 13:28

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

vetteoz Re: School me on balancing
Senior Guru
453 Posts

All SBC are neutral balance at front EXCEPT 400ci
2 pce seal engines are internal balance at rear EXCEPT 400ci

1 pce seal engines (late L98 /LTX ) are external balance at rear; they have a counterweight on the flexplate.This was required because the round crank flange on the 1 pce seal crank didn't allow for the conterweight to be placed there

When you rebuild you get the rotating assembly with flexplate and balancer balanced as a complete assembly , preferibly to stock balance configuration.That way you can buy a off the shelf flywheel / flexplate anytime in the future.

Forged is nice but the better quality cast steel cranks (SCAT / EAGLE) are supposed to be good for 450Hp.
Posted on: 2009/5/4 14:10

bogus Re: School me on balancing
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Get the internals balanced. It's the best thing you can ever do.

A properly balanced engine will not put out any more power, but it will do it seriously more reliably.

Forged is always the better part, no question. However, if you are not abusing the engine, I don't see the benefit. Then again, if you plan on holding on to this car for a long time, forged is a good investment.

Think of it this way, balanced, forged components, then driven as a stock type car, the engine should almost last forever.

Then again, the build has a lot to do with it. This is where "blueprinting" comes into play.

I don't know how GM builds engines. However, room temperature, part temperature and such are very important to meeting tolerances. Blueprinting is when an engine is built as close to all mfg tolerances as posible. This, again, won't result in a lot of power, but it will result in a ton of duribility.
Posted on: 2009/5/4 14:12

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

bogus Re: School me on balancing
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

One other point to add after seeing VetteOz's post.

The flywheel. You see, the DMFW your car uses IS the external balance. That piece is EXPENSIVE. If you get the engine internally balanced, you can now buy a cheaper steel SMFW, get it neutral (or zero) balanced and be on your merry way.

The DMFW is about $700, no matter how you cut it.
Posted on: 2009/5/4 14:30

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

pianoguy Re: School me on balancing
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I will most likely stick with the DM flywheel - I have read too many negatives about the noise of the lighter weight ones.
Posted on: 2009/5/4 14:32

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

anesthes Re: School me on balancing
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
I will most likely stick with the DM flywheel - I have read too many negatives about the noise of the lighter weight ones.

Don't neutral balance the engine. Balance it to a OE flywheel like vetteoz says.

There is no argument of cheaper flywheel, since OE replacement flywheels are the same price as neutral balance flywheels and it's a lot easier to say "I need a flywheel for a 19xx Corvette" when your on the phone with mcleod, RAM, and so on.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/4 14:54

CFI-EFI Re: School me on balancing
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Think of it this way, balanced, forged components, then driven as a stock type car, the engine should almost last forever.

The same is true of the less expensive cast parts. Cast parts don't wear more quickly than forged parts, they just aren't as strong. If your "driven as a stock type car" isn't built to produce a lot more power than stock and it is "driven as a stock type car" the cast parts will last just as long as the forged counterparts. My poor old 1984, with 165,000+ miles on it, is worn out. It has probably in excess of 800 quarter mile passes on it and my cast iron crank shaft hasn't broken yet, even under the strain of slightly more than stock horse power. What ever wear that crank has, wouldn't be any less if it were forged. Forged is stronger, but no more wear resistant.

When an engine is balanced, all the components of the rotating assembly are made to be equal weight. The piston weights are equalized, the big ends of the rods, the small end of the rods, piston pins, etc. are made equal weight within a small tolerance. A bob weight is made up for each crank throw, based on the total weights of the rotating and replicating components. Then the crank is spun up and balanced. The balance is achieved by removing weight from the crankshaft in the proper places. If there isn't enough weight in the crank at the right place, it can be added to the flywheel (flex plate) at the rear or the damper at the front as the factory does in some cases. To a point, the more accurate the balance, the smoother the engine will feel and the less the strain on parts as it spins up. The higher you rev it the greater the forces of imbalance and the greater the importance of the balance accuracy. Confused yet?

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/5/4 15:00

BillH Re: School me on balancing
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, what CFI said. The forged stuff will live longer at high RPM. Fogred would be better if you're going to redline the car all the time, but your's is a street driver.
Forged components would not have prevented tha spun bearing you have.

Balancing (per above) is definately worth the cost since the motor's at a machineshop anwway.

Blueprinting is a different deal. It is building to specs but it's more for the next time you pull the motor apart. You blueprint the motor and do a build sheet so you know exactly what parts wore and by how much. It's not something you normally do on a street motor.
Posted on: 2009/5/4 15:17

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I'm gonna print all this on one of those yellow sticky things and paste it on my forehead :-P

Thanks, all!
Posted on: 2009/5/4 16:32

anesthes Re: School me on balancing
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
It's not something you normally do on a street motor.

Depends. I used to be cheap, but considering the cost is usually only a few hundred dollars (ok maybe $500) to balance a rotating assembly, mock it up and deck the block to be within my typical quench spec of .044", I build everything that way no.

Besides, even on the street, if you can get away with a little more advance to build power at the same octane, why not? It's free horsepower.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/4 17:08

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2009/5/4 17:38

BillH Re: School me on balancing
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
It's not something you normally do on a street motor.

Depends. I used to be cheap, but considering the cost is usually only a few hundred dollars (ok maybe $500) to balance a rotating assembly, mock it up and deck the block to be within my typical quench spec of .044", I build everything that way no.

Besides, even on the street, if you can get away with a little more advance to build power at the same octane, why not? It's free horsepower.

-- Joe

I totally agree, Joe. Especially on the balancing, the deck heigth/quench probably depends on what the budget is and what Brad wants out of the build.
The extra money to do a full blueprint, recording cyl. bores, piston dia., ring gaps, spring pressures, etc. usually isn't done.
Posted on: 2009/5/4 22:12

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Speaking of budget, what kind of ballpark do y'all think I should be looking at spending? Assuming my block is in good shape, using decent quality components, getting it balanced properly, etc.? Maybe also some moderate port work on the heads and intake. Again, it's a driver, not a track car, so durability is my highest priority.
Posted on: 2009/5/4 22:56

vetteoz Re: School me on balancing
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Does engine need full build; as in rebore?
If so make a 383.
$300 extra for a stroker crank ; zero if you were planning on upgrading crank.You have to buy new pistons anyway to suit rebore
Posted on: 2009/5/5 6:59

Josh Re: School me on balancing
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

For what you are describing, I don't think the forged parts are necessary. If you were to go that route, I would do forged pistons first, then the rods, and finally the crank. It doesn't sound like you plan to make power, use a power adder, spin it, or really abuse it; so I don't see the benefit of the forged parts.

If it were me, I would do forged pistons, cast rods, and a cast crank. Maybe some budget forged rods if I had a good week at work. The only reason I would do that is because I know that eventually I'll put nitrous on the car. The added insurance of the forged parts is great when using a power adder like nitrous.

I'm not a metallurgist or anything, but I've been told that the forged parts change size more than a cast part as the engine warms up/cools down. That size change would be wear inducing; so if the rumor about forged parts growing/shrinking is true a forged set up could actually wear faster than its cast counter part.

I agree with building it to OE balance as opposed to neutral balance.
Posted on: 2009/5/5 13:36

BrianCunningham Re: School me on balancing
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I had my 383 LTX stroker internally balanced (see the heavy metal slugs put in the counterweights) it's going to be much easier on the bearings.

Photobucket

BTW the counterweight on my dual disk flywheel simply unbolts.
Posted on: 2009/5/5 19:44

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.