Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
195 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C3
Abbreviation for the 3rd generation of Corvettes built from 1968-1982....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

PeteK 700R4-4L60 Build Up Part 3
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Today I had a chance to build up the reverse drum, and the input drum. The input drum is very complicated, and is a bit time consuming.

In the photo below, I have the new Lip Seal's installed on the reverse drum piston. Lip seals always go on so the lip faces the oil feed.

Resized Image

Next photo shows the new vs old drum. Although the old drum is still flat and serviceable, I am installing a wide band, and need to use a new one, or the edges would burn off on the slightly worn old drum.

Resized Image

After the piston is carefully installed into the drum, the return springpack, and retaining clip are installed. Next come the apply ring, frictions and steels, capped off by the pressure plate and snap ring. Photo below shows assembled drum.

Resized Image

Next up is the input drum. It is in the photo below, on the left side. All of the other parts on the table install into the drum. Not shown in the photo are the overrun, and forward friction plates. They are soaking in fresh atf.

Resized Image

After the drum is emptied, and properly cleaned, the steel pistons are installed. I replace the aluminum factory pistons with stronger steel pistons, and a return spring from a 1999 and newer unit.

Resized Image

After the steel pistons, and upgraded return spring pack is installed on both return springs to stop clutch apply at high rpm's.

Overrun and forward clutches are installed with their matching steels. Then the sprag is rebuilt with a stronger aftermarket unit.
Pic below shows the weaks single cage sprag, next to the the aftermarket dual cage sprag. GM should be shot for switching to a single cage sprag in the late 80's. Big HP and torque turns them inside out.

Resized Image

After sprag is installed, all that remains is the 3-4 clutchpack. On this build, I am using the expensive Raybestos Z-Pack, and matching GM piston. They Z-Pack and piston cost about $100, but well worth it. In the early days, the Z-Pack was absolute crap, but they have become the 3-4 pack of choice, in my opinion.

After the input drum is filled, it is flipped over for the teflon sealing ring install. The 4 sealing rings are shown below.

Resized Image

They are slid down a carefully adjusted expanding tool, and located in their correct slot, starting from the bottom, and going up until all 4 are installed.

Resized Image

Once they are installed, they are carefully massaged by hand, in an attempt to shrink them down in size. After this occurs, a special resizing sleeve is installed to properly size them. I leave this plastic sleeve on for 12 hours or more.

Resized Image

Tomorrow, I hope to install the 2 drums assembled today, and begin to work on the pump.
Posted on: 2009/9/6 3:01
Edited by PeteK on 2012/2/16 17:10:32

Aboatguy Re: 700R4-4L60 Build Up Part 3
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Pete thanks for another great thread!
Posted on: 2009/9/6 14:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 700R4-4L60 Build Up Part 3
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Wow... and I still don't know how the damned thing works.

Impressive work!!
Posted on: 2009/9/6 15:50

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

PeteK Re: 700R4-4L60 Build Up Part 3
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I planned to get the pump rebuilt today, but is was not meant to be. Turns out the stator shaft is also scarred up from the last asshole's inability to install the worm track filters. I have to order a new stator tuesday (probably $50 or so), so that pulls the plug on the pump for a while.

*At this stage of the game, I should not find any additional suprises, so it is not a biggie.

Depending on how hard I party tonight, I may have more completed tomorrow. I need to rebuild the servo, replace and modify the seperator plate, and go through the aux valvebody, and finally the main valvebody. If that happens tomorrow, this piece of junk should be assembled by weeks end. Stay tuned for more pics.
Posted on: 2009/9/6 18:27

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I was just waxing philosophic...

I have come to the conclusion that when I do a major project, it isn't my workmanship that I worry about anymore. I fret about that as I do the project and that keeps me honest... what I worry about is the QC of the product I am installing.

Glad you found the bad part now and not after a couple of passes!
Posted on: 2009/9/6 18:30

JDSWHITE93 Re: 700R4-4L60 Build Up Part 3
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

what I worry about is the QC of the product I am installing.

Ain't that the truth.
Posted on: 2009/9/6 23:27

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I accomplished the mission for monday. Ordered the new pump stator, rebuilt the Valve Body, aux Valvebody, servo, and went through as much of the pump as I could. I will load up the pics, and give another run down soon.
I also tallied up the costs.
Yikes. This one was expensive!
Posted on: 2009/9/8 19:11

rklessdriver Re: 700R4-4L60 Build Up Part 3
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

Pete
Adding up cost is never a good thing to do.

On a second note:
I'd like to thank you for the tuitoral. I've never seen some of the aftermarket hard parts (like the Beast reactor shell) that are availiable for the 700/4L60 before.

I can now see why every one of the 700's I had built by local tranny shops in the past wouldn't stand up to mild street engines (mild IMO anyway) for very long.... Sprag failure in every one of them.
thanks
Will
Posted on: 2009/9/8 20:56

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Gonna talk about the servo in this post.
First some backround on what it does.
Located on the passenger side of the trans is a cover approx 3 inches in diameter. Behind this cover sits the servo assembly.

Servo assembly does 3 things:

1) Applies the band for 2nd gear
2) Applies the band for 4th gear
3) Works as an accumulator for 3rd gear.

*Remember, accumulator means shock absorber.

** To apply the band, servo moves pin that pushes the end of the band over, thus clamps the machined reverse drum tightly.

Pic below shows all of the parts and pieces that make up the servo assembly. It is one of the simpler things in this transmission, and you can also access it while the trans is in the car, in the event you wish to upgrade it with aftermarket parts.

Resized Image

The pic below shows the 3rd accumulator springs being assembled into the center piston.

Resized Image

GM says a special tool is needed to compress this spring assembly, but a craftsman, spring loaded plastic clamp works very well for me. After it is compressed, a snap ring is installed.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Now, the selective length servo pin is slid through the piston assembly and retained with a spring, washer and "E"-clip.

Resized Image

Notice in the photo below, 2 small white teflon sealing washers on the pin. These were used on the early 700's and later discontinued by GM. GM felt that they were 2 seals that could be damaged during install, so the eliminated them. I view them as 2 seals that contribute to sealing the pin's hydraulic function, so I use them every chance I get. Leak testing (with air) will always let you know if they are installed properly.

Resized Image

Pic below shows the 2nd gear piston with it's red o-ring installed

Resized Image

The next pic shows the 4th apply piston installed with an aftermarket booster spring added

Resized Image

Final pic shows the entire assembly mocked up, and ready (after lubing everything up) to be installed.
One of the last things installed in the trans is the servo assembly, so (for now) it is wrapped in plastic, and put aside.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2009/9/8 21:35
Edited by PeteK on 2012/2/16 17:13:50

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Glad to do it Will.
Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Quote:

Pete
Adding up cost is never a good thing to do.

On a second note:
I'd like to thank you for the tuitoral. I've never seen some of the aftermarket hard parts (like the Beast reactor shell) that are availiable for the 700/4L60 before.

I can now see why every one of the 700's I had built by local tranny shops in the past wouldn't stand up to mild street engines (mild IMO anyway) for very long.... Sprag failure in every one of them.
thanks
Will
Posted on: 2009/9/9 2:03

JDSWHITE93 Re: 700R4-4L60 Build Up Part 3
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

How much would a build like this cost Just curious how much money I'll need in my piggybank when the time comes. I haven't tracked my car much so it might be a long while however sooner or later.
Posted on: 2009/9/9 2:54

Matatk Re: 700R4-4L60 Build Up Part 3
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Man, Pete, you're really scaring me for when I tackle my trans rebuild myself. Ugh.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/9/9 4:11

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

JDSWHITE93 wrote:
How much would a build like this cost Just curious how much money I'll need in my piggybank when the time comes. I haven't tracked my car much so it might be a long while however sooner or later.

Remember that I am counting every nickel spent, including the core, derale pan, and the $1064.00 gearset. Converter is not factored in. Many additioal "hard parts" are not normally needed, but this core was a mess.
Currently, I am at $2700 out of pocket, with zero dollars budgeted for labor.
I will give a complete breakdown at the end.

***Remember this is a prototype build, and does not represent what would be a typical performance build.
Posted on: 2009/9/9 14:23

iCorvette Re: 700R4-4L60 Build Up Part 3
Senior Guru
302 Posts

is this the biggest and baddest tranny to date?
Posted on: 2009/9/9 15:20

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Actually, no. The cost of the aftermarket planetary makes it the most expensive, but it could be beefed up more.
On this build, the intention is to build a duplicate to what is in my car now, with the exception of a better 3-4 clutchpack, and the prototype gears.
After I determine which trans is the best for my combination, I will pull it back out, and make a few small changes to beef it up for the next motor. It should be a bit stronger than what I am running currently.
Posted on: 2009/9/9 15:48

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Impressive work!!

Thanks Andy.

Simply put, an auto trans is a hydraulic unit that activates a clutchpack or a band. When this occurs, it puts certain geartrain parts in a bind (locks them solid). This causes a different drivetrain part to rotate, thus changing gear ratios.

Everything else inside relates to the timing of these mechanical (via hydraulic pressure) parts to control the exact time it happens, and releases.
Posted on: 2009/9/10 1:13

BillH Re: 700R4-4L60 Build Up Part 3
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Pete, It's always great to see craftsman to things right.

There's way too much half ass in this world (see the thread on Shops in Chat).

BTW, I have that same silly woodgrain table. Carry it in the race trailer.
Posted on: 2009/9/10 2:08

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Impressive work!!

Thanks Andy.

Simply put, an auto trans is a hydraulic unit that activates a clutchpack or a band. When this occurs, it puts certain geartrain parts in a bind (locks them solid). This causes a different drivetrain part to rotate, thus changing gear ratios.

Everything else inside relates to the timing of these mechanical (via hydraulic pressure) parts to control the exact time it happens, and releases.

That almost makes sense...
Posted on: 2009/9/10 2:26

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Impressive work!!

Thanks Andy.

That almost makes sense...

Just think of it a about 5,000 small little things that happen in sequence, instead of 1 complicated transmission

:-)
Posted on: 2009/9/10 2:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.