Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
219 user(s) are online (177 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 36
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

cuisinartvette What is a "quieter" type air compressor
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

110v to use in my garage? Some of the ones out there are awfully loud like the Sears oiless.

Anyone?

Want to put a compressor in the garage at some poing but the HOA would kill me if it was coming on all the time and making noise.

A freind of mine gave me an idea..He built a closet for his, put two vents on it, with fans built in on a thermostatic switch. Id love to do something like that.

WOuld only be used for small hand tools, nothing crazy so I dont think I need anything too big...
Posted on: 2008/1/2 16:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I have an oiled, belt driven 110 compressor. It was the biggest 110 I could find. It's quieter than most of your options but still not all that quiet, if I ran it late at night inside my garage it would surely get the neighbors attention. I could probably help it with a muffler. When I build a shop it's going inside an insulated closet with an insulated exhaust fan.

When comparing, look at the dB ratings if they're published. Some brands make it a point to make their compressors quiet.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 16:11

biggrizzly RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I just went through this line of questioning at the "other forum" before Christmas. Many people recommended twin cylinder oiled units.
Santa decided for me and just bought me a standard 1.6 hp 26gal Sear unit. I owned a similar Craftsman oil-less compressor about six or seven years ago that was very loud as I recall. However, there obviously has been some changes in design because this new compressor the wife bought me is unbelievably quiet. I swear, cross my heart, this thing is really quiet compared to the older oil-less compressors. I don't know what they are doing with them now. but I'm keeping it for my basic around the garage compressor.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 16:32

red_johnny RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

There is a new kind of compressor out there that makes very little noise when its on. I cant remember what it is called but it is not a typical compressor. We use them on the EST2000 simulator in the army.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 16:37

biggrizzly RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:
There is a new kind of compressor out there that makes very little noise when its on. I cant remember what it is called but it is not a typical compressor. We use them on the EST2000 simulator in the army.

I'm sure that's not the kind I got from Sears! It is pretty quiet though for an oiless unit.

BTW - I lived in Aiken, SC for 15 years and spent a great deal of time over in Augusta. I belonged to the Capitol City Corvette Club out of Columbia SC. We did a few cruise-ins with a group in Augusta at Hooters on Washington Rd. I miss the South!!
Posted on: 2008/1/2 16:43

BillH RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
I have an oiled, belt driven 110 compressor. It was the biggest 110 I could find. It's quieter than most of your options but still not all that quiet, if I ran it late at night inside my garage it would surely get the neighbors attention. I could probably help it with a muffler. When I build a shop it's going inside an insulated closet with an insulated exhaust fan.

When comparing, look at the dB ratings if they're published. Some brands make it a point to make their compressors quiet.

Have you done any reaearch into the insulated exhaust fans yet? I'm planning to build a shop in about a year. I haven't dug too far but the fans I've seen ain't cheap, like $300 for a 12 inch without the shutters ($80).
Posted on: 2008/1/2 16:46

94z07 RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
Guru
94 Posts

I was thinking of one of these should my compressor or its motor ever fail.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf ... item.taf?Itemnumber=93786

For now, though, I just turn it on and leave the area until the 25 gal tank is full then I turn it off to use it. I rarely have a project that uses all the air out of a full tank.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 16:46

red_johnny RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure that's not the kind I got from Sears! It is pretty quiet though for an oiless unit.

BTW - I lived in Aiken, SC for 15 years and spent a great deal of time over in Augusta. I belonged to the Capitol City Corvette Club out of Columbia SC. We did a few cruise-ins with a group in Augusta at Hooters on Washington Rd. I miss the South!!
Ah, duh my bad. There are not too many corvette clubs around here that I have found except causual corvettes. Your in maryland right? You know where thurmount is? That is where my grandparents are laid to rest. I used to visit them all the time there and that was the way I used to travel up to PA.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 16:52

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

By insulated exhaust, I mean just a small bathroom ceiling fan, controlled by a thermostat, mounted inside the enclosure, and the exhaust should not be a straight shot or it will leak too much noise. You can install sound baffles in the duct or just route it with a few changes of direction between your enclosure and the outside. Lined duct helps too, or even just a drywall chase with duct liner screwed to it.

And pull the fresh air from inside the workspace, again, a few changes of direction keeps it quieter.

And of course the compressor should be isolated properly from the ground.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 17:56

BrianCunningham RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Be nice to build it a sound box, but it needs to be able to get rid of the heat.

How about putting it in the crawl space?
Posted on: 2008/1/2 18:42

RollaMo-LT4 RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

The typical small oil less compressors are all very loud.
As biggrizzly mentioned, there may be some exceptions now.

I don't think they were ever intended to be plumbed into a garage for full time use. They are just too loud and probably won't hold up to those constant demands.

I have a 5 gal. (can't remember the hp rating), that is loud. I don't use it that often, so I just live with it.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 18:54

cuisinartvette RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Quote:
Be nice to build it a sound box, but it needs to be able to get rid of the heat.

How about putting it in the crawl space?

You mean going from the garage underneath the house? Is all dirt and only extends a few feet before going to a steep uphill slope, not sure if it would fit. Id need somethign that would keep up with a die grinder. It only is used at low speeds but still...

Something to think about though. Getting tired of working with electric stuff (not that its bad), Im always having to have stuff rebuilt.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 20:28

BrianCunningham RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Dirt = modify with a shovel
Posted on: 2008/1/2 20:31

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Tunnel under it shawshank style.

It was designed by a structural engineer, there' s a safety factor. You don't need all of that dirt/block to hold the house up.

You could grow some plants under there while you're at it.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 20:36

cuisinartvette RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

That may not be a bad idea, should stay cool under there on its own. Definitely would be quiet.

compressor might fit also. :toothy3:
Posted on: 2008/1/2 21:11

94z07 RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
Guru
94 Posts

The only thing to consider about putting the compressor in the Honeycomb Hide-out is that you'll have to get at the drain cock after each use. (Am I the first to write "cock" on the forum?)
Posted on: 2008/1/2 23:52

BillH RE:What is a "quieter" type air compressor
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
By insulated exhaust, I mean just a small bathroom ceiling fan, controlled by a thermostat, mounted inside the enclosure, and the exhaust should not be a straight shot or it will leak too much noise. You can install sound baffles in the duct or just route it with a few changes of direction between your enclosure and the outside. Lined duct helps too, or even just a drywall chase with duct liner screwed to it.

And pull the fresh air from inside the workspace, again, a few changes of direction keeps it quieter.

And of course the compressor should be isolated properly from the ground.

I didn't think of a bathroom fan, that probably would work pretty well.
I was also was thinking about the compressor in the race shop. It's a 60 gal. upright, Craftsman professional. It sits in a 4 x 5 ft room with 8 ft ceiling and no ventalation. It's been there 5 years with no problems even on hot days.

Also, I think I found the compressor I'm going to get. Got a catalog from Autobody Toolmart showing a new Ingersol-Rand single stage compressor.
3 horse, 240v. , 11.3cfm@90, 135 psi max.
$635, and $35 for the starter.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 23:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.